• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #307 - Rime review, COD cover

pswii60

I didnt expect that RIME score.

Why did Sony let that go again ? They had it secured as an exclusive for a while iirc. Now i really hope the Switch version turns out good.
RIME was in development hell. They basically started the game again after Sony ditched them.

DrWong

I think it was the rumours flying around of the state of the studio that got me worried but I'm kind of glad I held a bit of hope since it first got announced that it'll end up great.
Here's the problem:
RIME was in development hell. They basically started the game again after Sony ditched them.
And here a sensible explanation with less drama-fiction:
They also dropped Edith Finch, the other 9 scoring game. They're getting out of the indie publishing business for the most part.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They also dropped Edith Finch, the other 9 scoring game. They're getting out of the indie publishing business for the most part.

Hmm....makes sense content really isnt an issue anymore for the PS4 and most Indie games end up on it anyway. Unless VR is somehow part of your project there probably isnt much to gain for Sony publishing these titles.

EvB

I had not faith in Rime, but preordered it the other day as it looked so pretty. I'm glad I can look forward to it being good

Sjefen

I dont know about that, they have a strong presence at BitSummit in Tokyo where many indie devs focusing on VR games.

#BitSummit

EvB

I dont know about that, they have a strong presence at BitSummit in Tokyo where many indie devs focusing on VR games.

#BitSummit

Th Dangerzone devs stated that Sony aren't interested in indies anymore , unless they are making VR.

#BitSummit

Noticed on Reddit, Three Fields Entertainment, developers of Dangerous Golf/Danger Zone were accused of Sony moneyhats. Dev replied.

Oh and for the record, Sony and their "moneyhats" (which are made of solid gold, because, hey, they are Sony after all right?) are only really looking to support VR titles from indie developers at the moment.

Makes sense about VR support for PS4.

Edit-EvB spooky shit!

mclem

Most intrigued by the Strafe score, because the reviews up to now have seemed a bit middling. Would like to hear what they say about it.

Sjefen

Noticed on Reddit, Three Fields Entertainment, developers of Dangerous Golf/Danger Zone were accused of Sony moneyhats. Dev replied.

Makes sense about VR support for PS4.

Edit-EvB spooky shit!

Getting small devs to focus on VR makes total sense, little cost and tiny risk while PSVR gets some much needed software support

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Rime was always a day 1 for me, never doubt it.
Three nines. 2017 is one hell of a year for gaming.
Or Edge is getting soft. :p
Most intrigued by the Strafe score, because the reviews up to now have seemed a bit middling. Would like to hear what they say about it.
Wondering about this too, game gets a lot of hate on its Steam page.

ASIS

Puyo puyo Tetris got a great score too! I'm so happy for Rime!

What Remains also got a deserved score.

Very nice scores all around.

Phamit

I didnt expect that RIME score.

Why did Sony let that go again ? They had it secured as an exclusive for a while iirc. Now i really hope the Switch version turns out good.

According to Tequila Works they decided they wanted to go Multi-platform and keep the IP and that's why they left Sony

Circinus

It was most likely simply in development for most of the time and had to find a differnt financer at some point.

Stop spreading unverified news/rumours posted by someone on an internet message board..

d00d3n

Wasn't Rime supposed to be a failed game that was dropped by Sony and only allowed to go forward due to Spanish government grants? The near perfect score is pretty surprising. I guess the leaks about failed game development here on gaf may have been malicious?

J@hranimo

Banned
Edge Magazine gave Rime a 9?!?!?!

Alright, so NOW this game is officially on my radar. I hope Tantalus pulls through with the Switch port. Eager to read their review along with others.

Dynomutt

Damn Rime is either going to get some great scores or be very divisive! But a 9 is something I did not expect! Kudos to them.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Why? I'd say it's fairly obvious/logical that it was shit when Sony dropped it.

Relieved for the studio the Rime story has a happy ending, though.
No, it's not obvious or logical. Was Edith Finch shit when Sony dropped it? Wattam? Modern Taxi Zombie Co.? Sony dropped more than just Rime last year but people didn't pay attention because there was no one spreading false rumors about those other titles.

It's also silly to think that Tequila Works was able to build a seemingly great 3D adventure game from scratch within just a year. The reality is that Sony is just not interested in indies like they used to, they're all about orchestras now.

Rime was one of my most anticipated titles after its reveal, so if it turns out after all the warning signs and long arse development to actually be great, I'll be fucking delighted.

Better yet, the Sony deal falling through means far more people will get to play it, so it's a win all round.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why, maybe Sony was shit to drop it and not the game?

Because that makes no sense. Plus at the time I believe "the game" was merely a mock up trailer. Couple that with a rocky development and it's not really a surprise they dropped it.

The good thing is there's a happy ending.

Well damn, Tequila finally delivers a good game.

6 for Surge

really

The lighting/sound/atmosphere is serviceable, combat against regular foes is okay... but bosses disappoint and there aren't that many of them. The maps don't lend themselves well to mapping (not enough signposting and landmarks), game length is substituted for difficulty, and the story's not that hot.

What they had to say...

Bold One

Rime - 9
Xlz1iA4.png

Shiggy

Because that makes no sense. Plus at the time I believe "the game" was merely a mock up trailer. Couple that with a rocky development and it's not really a surprise they dropped it.

The good thing is there's a happy ending.

Do you have anything to back that up?

Top Bottom