• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #308 - Far Cry 5

Memory

He has a point when metacritic has arms at 77 and they give it a 9. Actually if you look at a lot of high profile Nintendo games from Edge they barring a few they give high scores for. They gave splatoon a 90 according to metacritic when that game took a while content wise to get to where it is now.

He/she has a point. Tekken is in the 80's on metacritic and a 85 for PC version.

So it feels like it's more of a personal opinion on the game than subjective on it's actually content which it's super light on and has weird unlocks that are set by difficulty and players level.

More content does not make a better game. If Arms has better game play, polish and working features then it deserves a better score than another game lacking these things but instead having more cut scenes or unlockable costumes.

I'm loving Tekken 7 but right now all I do is treasure mode. Story was fun but over really quickly and online is broken worse than SFV's was at luanch. The gallery is a great bonus but it's not gameplay content.

Plainsong

I'm finding ARMS single player challenging but you do get better fast when the difficulty ramps up. Like all of these games it's basically a way of learning the ropes before you start the multiplayer. The game is rock solid online and a fantastic experience.

Chauzu

More content does not make a better game. If Arms has better game play, polish and working features then it deserves a better score than another game lacking these things but instead having more cut scenes or unlockable costumes.

I'm loving Tekken 7 but right now all I do is treasure mode. Story was fun but over really quickly and online is broken worse than SFV's was at luanch. The gallery is a great bonus but it's not gameplay content.

I wonder if the EDGE review for Tekken brings up online because for me, broken online in a fighting game warrants a lower score than 6.

Star Trek bridge crew is the first real VR demonstrator since Keep Talking... imo. Great that it scores highly.

Arms [9]
Injustice 2 [8]
Tekken 7 [6]

Nintendo once again entering a genre as a freshman and schooling.

Let's be serious instead of getting carried away...

You knoe what it means when Edge reviews Arms better than Tekken? They prefer the game more, that's it.

And if you disagree, what it means for you is that Edge is not the place you look for in game recommendations. Like how I couldnt care less what Giant Bomb thinks of a game (as much as I like them) but do when it's Eurogamer, because their reviews tend to more be in line with my taste in games.

Alebrije

Hope Arms success , Nintendo needs that boost to increased userbase.

Good to see how Nintendo uses new ideas on old concepts, Splatoon is basically a TPS and Arms a fighting game but both games have different approach to traditional games on those genres.

a harpy

Are people really getting this worked up about the ARMS and Tekken 7 score? :/

I don't think it's really about the ARMS score. That Tekken score just seems low for a game that a lot of people are loving. I heard the online was bad on console, but has been fixed since.

Dude go look up splatoon review from Edge then look at metacritic.

Big difference.
I could not give less of a shit about Metacritic if I tried. Edge have earned my trust with years of thoughtful, well-considered reviews- I'm more than happy to listen to them even if they fall out of critical lockstep occasionally.

silva1991

So ARMS is gonna be 78 at MC instead of 77.

Boring cover this month tbh.

Should have used something Spider-Man or Mario Odyssey related.

StarPhlox

EDGE is one of the few mainstream publications that actually uses the 10 point full-scale for their reviews so a 5 from them is actually average and the typical 7 that is kinda default everywhere else is saying a game is "very good" from Edge. A 9 from them is very rare and so this is indeed high praise for ARMS.

So ARMS is gonna be 78 at MC instead of 77.

Boring cover this month tbh.

Should have used something Spider-Man or Mario Odyssey related.
They hadn't left for E3 at the time this issue went to press. Though I am hopeful for a Spiderman cover given that they had one for Sunset Overdrive.

Atreides

EDGE in general tends to score a bit lower than the average of other publications. However, I get the impression that EDGE tends to score higher than average games with innovative ways to play and refined gameplay. ARMS is just the kind of game they usually love, because it has both of those things, even if the game is a bit sparse in content, so the score is not that surprising.

KooopaKid

Banned
EDGE in general tends to score a bit lower than the average of other publications. However, I get the impression that EDGE tends to score higher than average games with innovative ways to play and refined gameplay. ARMS is just the kind of game they usually love, because it has both of those things, even if the game is a bit sparse in content, so the score is not that surprising.

Exactly. I still wasn't expecting a 9 for Arms given the content but Nintendo nailed the mechanics as usual. Arms could be a 9 soon with the free updates though.

Top Bottom