• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #353 review scores

Bullet Club

EDGE #353 review scores

wi2fZul.jpg

This month’s EDGE review scores are as follows:

Bugsnax - 8
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – 8
Yakuza: Like a Dragon – 8
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – 7
Demon’s Souls – 9
Astro’s Playroom – 7
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – 6
The Pathless – 5
Watch Dogs Legion – 5
Fuser – 6
The Falconeer – 5
Sackboy: A Big Adventure – 6

Features:

Power Play: Playstation 5
Comfortably numb: Boredom in gaming
Making of: Planet Zoo
Studio Profile: Jackbox Games
Time Extend: CODBLOPS II
The Long Game: Doom Eternal

Hype:

Little Devil Inside
Forza Polpo
Starstruck: Hands of Time
Lake
Melon Journey 2
Scavengers
Round-up: Call of the Sea, Tanglers, Pull Stay, I Am Yours, Kerbal Space Program 2

Source: Nintendo Everything

McCheese

I know bugsnax was intentionally trying to look bad, but its surreal to see it best Spiderman.

It's a shame about fuser, was hoping that would be half decent

Redlancet

Banned
peope still take edge scores seriously? a lot of years ago i knew a lot of their writers,they are ( in some form) the culprits of the "snob" gamepress (specially on europe) and the proto "polygon" of the day,some interesting articles and a lot of shitty "look at me im special review" look at the scores they gived to doom,gta3 and a lot of classics

fuck edge

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I really am amazed that this publication is still going, given its so so pretentious writing staff are a bunch of woker than woke Guardian newspaper journalist wannabe's...

I agree it is getting terrible lately. Surprised actually they aren't giving Watch Dogs an 11 because this magazine has been anti Brexit fuck the government for months so a game that shows a supposed post Brexit London, you'd think they would be all over it just from the story its attempting to sell.

I'm not trying to bring politics into this thread however I want to read about games not editorial every month about how bad the country is going to be because of something that hasn't happened yet.

They were moaning about Ubi and Valhalla last month with some throw away 'if Ubi can be bothered to send us review code etc.' So it getting an 8 has surprised me a little.

Last edited:

whattheduck

Banned
peope still take edge scores seriously? a lot of years ago i knew a lot of their writers,they are ( in some form) the culprits of the "snob" gamepress (specially on europe) and the proto "polygon" of the day,some interesting articles and a lot of shitty "look at me im special review" look at the scores they gived to doom,gta3 and a lot of classics

fuck edge
Yep, they have always been The Guardian for gaming magazines. It's not uncommon to see them sniffling about some social justice bullshit in every other article.

waquzy

I am surprised that EDGE is still alive and kicking, the only multiplatform magazine they sell these days in the UK, if I am not mistaken. GamesTM and GamesMaster were brilliant, but they went under.

Who remembers CVG?! Computer and Video Games = back in the day it was the dogs bollocks.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wonder what the coverage of Little Devil Inside is about, and if we get to see more of that game soon. Maybe at TGA?

Reactions: Isa

Nitty_Grimes

I am surprised that EDGE is still alive and kicking, the only multiplatform magazine they sell these days in the UK, if I am not mistaken. GamesTM and GamesMaster were brilliant, but they went under.

Who remembers CVG?! Computer and Video Games = back in the day it was the dogs bollocks.

Ah you see Games TM only went under when they sold it to Future Publishing - Edges' publishers. Work the rest out for yourself.

Nitty_Grimes

Seems like the fact that the editor's name was Jen was an important fact that was necessary to know in order to get the pun.

Sorry - as its a thread about EDGE magazine and people going on about bits in reviews and articles in said magazine, I guess that came as standard.

Last edited:
Used to love me some edge back in the day ❤️

just not the review scores ever. although they were spot on with the original halo 👍😎

but to miss the ps2’s mario 64 moment with gta III. was pretty much the low point of their snobbish, elite behaviour toward some games and consoles (I think it got a ‘6’ !!!!! that was then corrected with a ‘misprint’ note 🙄)

I still miss some of short run columns and features, but haven’t read or picked up a copy in a few years. 😢

cool 😎 cover though. 👍

Redlancet

Banned

i remember them,i was a spanish child and my father who travelled to uk for bodybuilding championships bring some of these to me,they were crazy ,man how time flies i remember cvg,mean machines,amiga cu,amiga format,pc acelerator

also when i was doing game development on the nineties some people workshiped edge so hard that it was hilarious,i get that sometimes edge was very into the backstage of the developement community and they bring some excellent articles but they were very biased for anything nintendo

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Is edge like the pitchfork of video games or something? The reviews seem way off to me

Popular big selling franchise 5/10

Random indie no one's ever heard of 9/10

They're a great magazine, but they wear their elitism with pride and you have to filter the review mark through the prism of knowing that they always support the arty underdog over the commercial hit.

Entroyp

They're a great magazine, but they wear their elitism with pride and you have to filter the review mark through the prism of knowing that they always support the arty underdog over the commercial hit.

Ah there you go. I had the same impression about Edge. The name even checks out lol

Matt_Fox

I'm an Edge subscriber and I wouldn't call it 'woke'.

Occasionally the writers can act a bit puritanical over 'sexy' content / characters in a game - but it might just be an excuse to include a screenshot of the 'offending' sexiness for readers to be outraged by (or enjoy) depending on their stance!

Killer8

Surprised Dirt 5 has not been reviewed yet. I was expecting the usual score bump they always seem to give to UK developers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The elitism is an affectation though, its not that their reviewers are an elite cadre of the most knowledgeable and witty people in the field, they are the same ones used by the rest of the Future publishing publications.

SkylineRKR

I usually agree with Edge, and this time I agree with most of the scores again, except Astro Playroom. I'd give it higher though the motion control stages are annoying. I haven't read the review but if they dock points for that its understandable.

I haven't played Bugsnax, I should download it. Its free anyway. But yeah both DeS and Yakuza are the best games of the month for me as well.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That picture makes the PS5 look like a modern building..

Reactions: Isa

Batiman

Banned
Why are people surprised with these scores? Edge seems like the only place to use the full scale reviewing games

sublimit

Banned
Wow those scores seem very generous for Edge's standards. They might have lost their...Edge. :p (Sorry.)

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
An average game should get 5/10, 6/10 top. A mediocre game should get 3-4/10. I hate gaming site/mag with 7/10 as the baseline.
So even though i don't read Edge at least they seem to have some opinion instead of a consensual 8+ for any AAA.

I've gotten suspect of low to middling scores from mainstream outlets these days. Its usually because the game doesn't adhere to some specific pointless political values/nonsense or because the game in question is too difficult for the journo to complete/play.

Top Bottom