• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #353 review scores

Blade2.0

I mean, their score lines up right with the metacritic. so i don't see the problem with the bugsax score.

An average game should get 5/10, 6/10 top. A mediocre game should get 3-4/10. I hate gaming site/mag with 7/10 as the baseline.
So even though i don't read Edge at least they seem to have some opinion instead of a consensual 8+ for any AAA.

Average and mediocre mean the same thing. A game rated with a 3 must be a pretty appaling game. Something so bad you can make funny youtube videos, of how awful it is. Its not really worth it to disect bellow 5. 1-4 are just varying degrees of awful. Say a 1 is the worst thing ive ever encountered and a 4 would be the worst thing this year. Its all very bad bellow 5, we dont need too much granularity or explanations.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’ll encapsulate what everyone in this thread is thinking and saying;

1) Edge sucks.
2) No one cares what they have to say
3) They will slowly fade into irrelevance (thank god).

I agree with all of the above.

AC got an 8???

Its an extremely good game. Its also extremely different than Origins or Odyssey. People who havent played it might think its the same at a superficial glance, but pretty much no aspect is the same as it was in Odyssey. They are so different, that if someone plays Valhalla as its first AC game then goes to Odyssey he will be "wtf is this"

SoraNoKuni

To be fair they have nice covers, good print quality and some articles are good.

Their review scores this time seem ok, I guess sackboy got some undeserved harsh score but ok.

Flintty

I'm an Edge subscriber and I wouldn't call it 'woke'.

Occasionally the writers can act a bit puritanical over 'sexy' content / characters in a game - but it might just be an excuse to include a screenshot of the 'offending' sexiness for readers to be outraged by (or enjoy) depending on their stance!

Yup. I used to subscribe and would still read Edge over anything on the internet.

GAF can’t have an Edge review thread without the vitriol against it and the usual bullshit responses. If people actually read the full reviews instead of just the number, they’d get it. But it’s cooler to just hate on the magazine I guess.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Average and mediocre mean the same thing. A game rated with a 3 must be a pretty appaling game. Something so bad you can make funny youtube videos, of how awful it is. Its not really worth it to disect bellow 5. 1-4 are just varying degrees of awful. Say a 1 is the worst thing ive ever encountered and a 4 would be the worst thing this year. Its all very bad bellow 5, we dont need too much granularity or explanations.
The modern actual definition of mediocre mean below average. I do agree that awfull/mediocre/average/good/great could be enough, but if you choose to note on a ten scale (or any scale), well use it or change the scale.

Edit : Well it might be a translation issue. I'm french and "médiocre" in french mean below average. I've checked the Cambridge dictionary and in UK english it's synonym for "bad quality". However in american english it might mean just average.... so i always intended mediocre as below average to be clear.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The modern actual definition of mediocre mean below average. I do agree that awfull/mediocre/average/good/great could be enough, but if you choose to note on a ten scale (or any scale), well use it or change the scale.

Edit : Well it might be a translation issue. I'm french and "médiocre" in french mean below average. I've checked the Cambridge dictionary and in UK english it's synonym for "bad quality". However in american english it might mean just average.... so i always intended mediocre as below average to be clear.

Yea I would say here it is a synonym for average. Not great, not good, not bad. Mediocre.

Top Bottom