• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Christmas 2008 - review scores

Suprised they rated Fallout 3 lower than they rated Oblivion, when in my eyes Fallout 3 fixes every mistake Bethesda made with Oblivion. It's a bit of a harsh score considering that Edge have been throwing 9's & 10's about like loose change recently, and for some pretty underwhelming titles.

syllogism

Fallout 3's problem is the content, not the bugs. 7 or 8 is appropriate. Or would be if they didn't randomly seriously overrate games (see: fable 2).

edge196mi8.jpg

lherre

Accurate
acm2000 said:
reasonable scores all round really, although not keen on L4D demo, other than that, they look about right

R2 is not reasonable ... is better in all the ways that first Resistance, better online, etc

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cerberus said:
Nice score for L4D. Ouch at Resistance 2. What did Edge think about the original Resistance?

They weren't too hot on it, IIRC. A 6 also, I think?

They've always been pretty down on all the Resistance games in previews.

Edge on the ball again once again!

I mean, I doubt anyone thought Mirror's Edge would top the greatness and care put into Quantum of Solace.

Zzoram

lherre said:
R2 is not reasonable ... is better in all the ways that first Resistance, better online, etc

It's better at online, worse at campaign. Considering that only ~40-60% of people ever log online with their console, the single player and local coop experience is pretty important in games that claim to have stories.

fanboi

Banned
Zzoram said:
It's better at online, worse at campaign. Considering that only ~40-60% of people ever log online with their console, the single player and local coop experience is pretty important.

well, no.

Stink

GarthVaderUK said:
Reviews
Left 4 Dead - 9
Gears of War 2 - 9

Tomb Raider: Underworld - 8
Tom Clancy's Endwar - 8

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 7
Fallout 3 - 7
Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 7
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 7
Animal Crossing City Folk - 7
Valkyria Chronicles - 7
Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 7

Call of Duty: World at War - 6
Resistance 2 - 6
Ninjatown - 6
Silent Hill: Homecoming - 6

Mirror's Edge - 5
007: Quantum of Solace - 5
Socom Confrontation - 5

Manhunt 2 - 4

Need for Speed Undercover - 3
I like order

Roxas

i predict many bitter tears in this thread.

The Mirror's Edge review kinda says you'll either love it or hate it. And they hated it.

Zzoram

IronicallyTwisted said:
I saw them, I also saw the disproportionate number of everything higher.

Well, it is AAA release season, so there should be more games on the higher end of the scale at this time of year.

Haunted

bad cover

Edge hasn't felt the same since the Halo 3 and GTAIV 10's, I admit. It's probably just me, but now they give a 7 to my GOTY... It feels like I just don't know Edge anymore. :(

Puck

Banned
I think they were too busy playing gears of war 2 to bother reviewing the other games properly. Much like 1up.

Pein

Banned
Zzoram said:
It's better at online, worse at campaign. Considering that only ~40-60% of people ever log online with their console, the single player and local coop experience is pretty important in games that claim to have stories.
I really don't see how you can say resistance 2 has a worse campaign since its better in almost every way then the original

is Edge the sort of elitist magazine that rate majority of games low or something? demand innovation in all games, score sequels lower than original if it didn't bring something new to the table, that kind of magazine?

because I don't agree with his R2 score, what score did they rate uncharted? because if Edge is the kind of magazine I'm thinking, I imagine they'd gave Uncharted a pretty low score

Zzoram

Puck said:
I think they were too busy playing gears of war 2 to bother reviewing the other games properly. Much like 1up.

If there is remotely any truth to this, that only confirms Gears of War 2's superior ranking.

Cerberus

:(

Well, Resistance: FoM was a launch game so maybe Edge was gracious with the scoring? Or is that not their style at all? :lol

I was looking forward to NFS: Undercover. Last time I was interested in a NFS game was Most Wanted which was about 3 years ago. Undercover seemed like it was going back to the gameplay of Hot Pursuit 2/Most Wanted. I wonder what's wrong with it.

Zzoram said:
Well, it is AAA release season, so there should be more games on the higher end of the scale at this time of year.

I'm a regular buyer, its always this way. They are "hard reviewers" because they give high profile games surprising scores but most of what they give out is still a 7.

Pein

Banned
Callibretto said:
because I don't agree with his R2 score, what score did they rate uncharted? because if Edge is the kind of magazine I'm thinking, I imagine they'd gave Uncharted a pretty low score
8/10

Zzoram

Callibretto said:
is Edge the sort of elitist magazine that rate majority of games low or something? demand innovation in all games, score sequels lower than original if it didn't bring something new to the table, that kind of magazine?

Edge is a magazine that you actually pay a fair amount of money for. It's one of the last of it's kind, in an age when people are practically giving away 50% advertisement magazines.

Johnkers

Zzoram said:
Edge is a magazine that you actually pay a fair amount of money for. It's one of the last of it's kind, in an age when people are practically giving away 50% advertisement magazines.

In an age? That's like, most magazines ever? More ads = more non ads

fanboi

Banned
Zzoram said:

Still, they can be biased.
Not saying EDGE is, but I dont agree with their scores.

Bootaaay said:
Suprised they rated Fallout 3 lower than they rated Oblivion, when in my eyes Fallout 3 fixes every mistake Bethesda made with Oblivion.
Yeah no doubt, considering how every outlet splooged all over Oblivion you'd think that Fallout 3 would be a little more well received, though to rate it properly in comparison they'd probably have to at least double their review scales... :p

Roxas

Personally, i think most of these scores are right. Maybe Mirror's Edge deservers a point or 2 extra but thats it.

RpgN

GarthVaderUK said:
Reviews
Left 4 Dead - 9
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7
Gears of War 2 - 9
Resistance 2 - 6
Mirror's Edge - 5
Animal Crossing City Folk - 7
Socom Confrontation - 5
Valkyria Chronicles - 7

WTF?! WTF?!

Especially Valkyria Chronicles, Mirror's Edge and Resistance 2. Mirror's Edge is not a 5 game. Those guys are crazy :lol

RpgN

NemesisPrime said:
Wait. Last month you guys loved Edge for not giving a 10 to Fable 2 and now you hate Edge for not giving your game of choice a 10?

A 10 is redicilous. Not one game is this perfect, but a game like Mirror's Edge seriously deserved much better. Only for the new stuff it brought to first person perspective. The same can be said with Valkyria Chronicles, it deserved at least an 8. I'm not sure what those guys are smoking. It's like they're longing for attention.

Top Bottom