• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Christmas 2008 - review scores

Reviews
Left 4 Dead - 9
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7
Gears of War 2 - 9
Fallout 3 - 7
Call of Duty: World at War - 6
Resistance 2 - 6
Mirror's Edge - 5
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - 7
007: Quantum of Solace - 5
Tomb Raider: Underworld - 8
Guitar Hero: World Tour - 7
Animal Crossing City Folk - 7
Ninjatown - 6
Command & Comnquer: Red Alert 3 - 7
Manhunt 2 - 4
Silent Hill: Homecoming - 6
Tom Clancy's Endwar - 8
Socom Confrontation - 5
Valkyria Chronicles - 7
Need for Speed Undercover - 3
Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip - 7

Hype
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Big Bang Mini
Monster Hunter 3
Yakuza 3
White Knight Chronicles
Star Ocean 4
LocoRoco 2
Infinite Space
The Conduit
Demon's Souls
Ninja Blade
Eat Lead: The Return Of Matt Hazard
Burn, Zombie, Burn

Other
Cover: Miyamoto unplugged; Nintendo's grand master talks hardcore gaming, making music and Wii's future
Time Extend - Luigi's Mansion
The Making Of - Dune II: Battle for Arrakis

Thanks to RetroEd on GRcade for the info.

edge196mi8.jpg

Rlan

Left 4 Dead - 9
Gears of War 2 - 9
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 7
Fallout 3 - 7
Call of Duty: World at War - 6
Resistance 2 - 6
Mirror's Edge - 5

Yikes. Slippery slope.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I did not see that Mirror's Edge score coming. I was expecting more like 6-8 based on their scale and way of reviewing.

Rlan

Surprised that they didn't have a Wii Music review to go with it...

In fact, besides Manhunt 2 (really old by now) and Ninjatown (instant review due to Shawn having clout with previous magazine work), not a single Nintendo review.

Some of those scores + the morning after NPD = This thread will go places that many would be wise not to follow.

Still, glad to see not everyone was enamoured with Mirror's Edge.

/bails

Loudninja

Rlan said:
Surprised that they didn't have a Wii Music review to go with it...

In fact, besides Manhunt 2 (really old by now) and Ninjatown (instant review due to Shawn having clout with previous magazine work), not a single Nintendo review.

Animal Crossing City Folk?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
sionyboy said:
Some of those scores + the morning after NPD = This thread will go places that many would be wise not to follow.

Still, glad to see not everyone was enamoured with Mirror's Edge.

/bails

Dude, Mirror's Edge hasn't gotten that many good scores, has it?

EDIT: Nevermind, according to Gamerankings it's getting quite good scores.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know, game scores have ruined gaming.

I mean, I played through and beat Mirrors Edge, thought it was great. But if i saw this 5 before i played it, i might not have.

eznark

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
You know, game scores have ruined gaming.

I mean, I played through and beat Mirrors Edge, thought it was great. But if i saw this 5 before i played it, i might not have.

That's your fault, not the reviewer

Gowans

GarthVaderUK said:
Need for Speed Undercover - 3

OH DEAR!

Wasn't this meant to be the year that NFS Delivers again and goes back to its roots?

Would love some of the text on this.

ItsInMyVeins said:

Haven't really looked to be honest, but it seems to get universal love everywhere I look... :/

I just felt the need to make at least a comment on one of the scores, a multi-platform title seemed like a good idea. :)

ItsInMyVeins said:

EDIT: Nevermind, according to Gamerankings it's getting quite good scores.

It's got a solid 80/81 rating on metacritic. It will be the first game I get as soon as my backlog is over. Looks 10x more interesting than Gears 2, 5x more interesting than Fallout3 and 2x more interesting than Fable 2. Yes I calculated those.

Didn't see your stealthedit :(

MidiSurf

Banned
Resistance 2 got only 6/10 ?! It's a solid 7. And I'm glad to see Fallout 3 getting more "realistic" scores.

EDIT: Also great score for Left 4 Dead.

dude

dude
Hmm...
I'm very intersted in the text on Mirror's Edge, I usually hold Edge's scores in pretty high regard and would like to know what they thought.

Great score of L4D, unsurprising though.

EDIT: Fallout 3 is like Oblivion, overrated as hell. So I guess I agree with the score.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I agree with Fallout 3 score... perhaps. Not entirely sure yet, need to put more time into it (although I'm already a few hours into it). But this:

Need For Speed Undercover - 3

Is the most shocking score, imo. I was expecting a return to form, going back to the Most Wanted type gameplay.

Mirror's Edge seems about right too, if the demo is anything to go by. The controls just aren't intuitive enough - when you have to fight with the controls, nothing can save the game. It felt more or less like an FPS platformer, and FPS is not a fitting genre to put platforming in.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
WAR only a 7? What did Age of Conan get? WAR should get twice of that score.
Fallout a 7? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gowans007 said:
OH DEAR!

Wasn't this meant to be the year that NFS Delivers again and goes back to its roots?

Would love some of the text on this.

isn't *every* year the year when NFS finally delivers again?

ouch at that resistance 2 score. makes me feel like renting considering how crowded the market it this christmas. General consensus going in would be that R2 would rock and COD would be like one of the odd numbered star trek films. COD score seems to reflect that (I'd assume edge comments about it being workmanlike and enjoyable enough but not moving things forward in the genre), but surprised at the same score for R2.

are these subscriber issue sneak peeks or is it out in shops already?

scores pretty much spot on.

of course, every time someone cares about Edge's scores rather than their reviews I die a little inside.

Rolf NB

Gowans007 said:
OH DEAR!

The Need For Speed series is now just like Sonic.
PARANO1A said:
Out of interest, what differentiates a 6 from a 7?
Something like 12 explosive barrels and two sentences of "oh shit they're coming through the walls" radio chatter.

fanboi

Banned
MidiSurf said:
Resistance 2 got only 6/10 ?! It's a solid 7. And I'm glad to see Fallout 3 getting more "realistic" scores.

EDIT: Also great score for Left 4 Dead.

*Meltwdown begins*
WAT!
R2 is one of the best fps evar!!!
Bastard!

*end*

Aaron

Danne-Danger said:
A bit harsh on Fallout 3 IMO, it's at least an 8 in my book. Bugs be damned.
I'm surprised at how few bugs it has for a game its size. It does have flaws, but they're pretty minor. I'd give it a 9 without question.

~Kinggi~

Banned
bcn-ron said:
The Need For Speed series is now just like Sonic.Something like 12 explosive barrels and two sentences of "oh shit they're coming through the walls" radio chatter.
hey ""oh shit they're coming through the walls" radio chatter is highly effective stuff my friend.

Top Bottom