• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Dark Souls II Preview

eot

Banned
So many people use trainers for their PvP characters, and infinite souls glitch before that. A respec option is nothing in comparison.

jpax

I think losing 50% of your invested souls sounds about right. With this you cannot cheese the game but you can get maybe 70% to 80% of your soul level back.

Edit: a SL 100 pyro would need nearly 2 mil souls. With half the souls you could get to SL 79.
I think this sounds like a good compromise if there is really respect in the game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think losing 50% of your invested souls sounds about right. With this you cannot cheese the game but you can get maybe 70% to 80% of your soul level back.

Edit: a SL 100 pyro would need nearly 2 mil souls. With half the souls you could get to SL 79.
I think this sounds like a good compromise if there is really respect in the game.
If respecing is gonna cost souls, the balance of it also depends on how hard it is to get mass quantities of souls. It's not too hard to luck into a shitton of souls in PvP in OG Dark Souls.

I wonder if there are gonna be any worthwhile money sinks at high level this time around. Aside from respecing if it's in I mean.

jpax

If respecing is gonna cost souls, the balance of it also depends on how hard it is to get mass quantities of souls. It's not too hard to luck into a shitton of souls in PvP in OG Dark Souls.

I wonder if there are gonna be any worthwhile money sinks at high level this time around. Aside from respecing if it's in I mean.

Well you are of course right. The quantity of souls in mp has to be reduced dramatically.

Right now I think its a bad idea. De levelling in Demons Souls was a nice way to correct some mistakes but it was at the end of the game or you needed a person to soulsuck you. Whats the point of character builds if you can just change back to lvl 0 and it ruins the impact of your choices.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Right now I think its a bad idea. De levelling in Demons Souls was a nice way to correct some mistakes but it was at the end of the game or you needed a person to soulsuck you. Whats the point of character builds if you can just change back to lvl 0 and it ruins the impact of your choices.

If it means you have to start from scratch, that's a pretty impactful choice in itself.

Its a casual design mechanic similar to fast travel. Not everyone plans out their builds meticulously. Some people new to the series might think averaging their stats into everything is a good idea only to have a jack of all trades character that cant equip any good equipment and become stuck at a boss.

I'd say it also ruins high hour games. I don't want to start all over again because I invested some point in vitality earlier in the game only to have them useless because I get one shotted regardless.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
What if that item gives you a full respec and refunds the souls spent so you can get all the new stats you want immediately, BUT it's a one-time use item and you have to go through a long dungeon that's on some I-Wanna-be-the-Guy levels of assholish difficulty to get it.

...probably not, but I would be down with that.

What if the respec requires you to use major demon's souls or firekeeper souls? A certainly heavy decision, at least for a first playthrough that one.

This would actually be a good trade off, kinda like how on my first run I blew all my fire keeper's souls because I didn't know they could be used for reinforcing estus flasks lol. I really could have used that extra estus damnit!

I don't believe this.More likely they are just trying to eradicate any hesitation from old fans prior to the release.

I don't believe it either.

I'm sure they tossed him aside when they got the mother effing monster hunter dude in there... Seriously. It's a business, and they're pretty excited about their new cash cow.

Orayn

I don't believe it either.

I'm sure they tossed him aside when they got the mother effing monster hunter dude in there... Seriously. It's a business, and they're pretty excited about their new cash cow.

The new director did not work on Monster Hunter, this was debunked last year. Same name, different person.

Anyway, you probably don't care because IIRC you're one of the people convinced Dark Souls II is a soulless cash-in and you've already written it off as being total shit.

Not sure how old this is or if it's been posted already, but I found it amusing.

kidsouls77s7p.gif

We've all been there, kid.

The kid is fine.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Not sure if threadworthy and not sure what thread is most appropriate to post this in, so I'll put it here for now sense this is the defacto Dark Souls 2 OT atm.

Anyway.

A lot of y'all have probably seen this twitter account by now:

https://twitter.com/darksoulsknight

Dude who dresses up like the DkS2 marketing protag and goes out in public. Obvious viral advertising, but still pretty cool.

Problem is that going by the account's timeline, dude is trying to pretend he's just a fan, and not a viral marketer. Nam...er...Bandai Namco's UK branch twitter'd this guy's tweeter the other day in a way that's neutral to their affiliation with him.

But peep the shield in this pic:

BewpLPXCEAAwFaT.jpg:large

Then check the shield in this picture from the Dark Souls 2 cafe in Japan.

tumblr_mz13h1cTWp1qdqlkxo1_1280.jpg

The designs aren't entirely the same, but they're similar enough that it's still a hell of a coincidence. Either that or derivitives of this phoenix design are common in the shield-making community. Or something. But I'm pretty sure that the helmet seen in this picture...

BeBZt9AIgAAVW6U.jpg:large

...is exactly the same as the one in the picture from the Dark Souls 2 cafe above, though I can't make out if the dragon etching is both helmets.

Either way, I don't think I have to try too hard to convince people that the guy with a godly near 1:1 replica of the DkS2 protag's armor and goes walking around in public wearing it all day and posts tons of pictures of it on Twitter alongside a million hashtags is in actuality a viral marketer, and it's not like this is the vilest thing a video game company has ever done in the name of promotion (especially considering the recent YouTube/Xbox kerfuffle), but actively trying to act like he's just a fan and NOT AT ALL A PAID MARKETER GUYS SERIOUSLY is pretty annoying.

Wjzhonb.png

Either way, I don't think I have to try too hard to convince people that the guy with a godly near 1:1 replica of the DkS2 protag's armor and goes walking around in public wearing it all day and posts tons of pictures of it on Twitter alongside a million hashtags is in actuality a viral marketer, and it's not like this is the vilest thing a video game company has ever done in the name of promotion (especially considering the recent YouTube/Xbox kerfuffle), but actively trying to act like he's just a fan and NOT AT ALL A PAID MARKETER GUYS SERIOUSLY is pretty annoying.

Wjzhonb.png

What makes it even more obvious is that they had a whole thing about them making the armor. This is pretty embarrassing.

It sucks that I love Dark Souls, but I really don't care for Namco at all.

popyea

I don't get how portraying the fans as live action role-players is supposed to help sell the game to a broader audience.

Top Bottom