• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Dark Souls II Preview

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Lock if old

Plenty of new information of Dark Souls II appeared in this month's EDGE issue:

- Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.

- Miyazaki is closely overseeing development of the game, unlike of what was previously reported.

- Production of the game was split in two, with Yui Tanimura in charge of battle mechanics and gameplay while Tomohiro Shibuya is in charge of world and design.

- The opening cinematic will be available for public sometime in January.

- Members of the Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels can fight PvP battles within their own Covenants.

- Hints of a new Covenant that will act as a police force hunting down invaders, adding an element of risk on those who seek to prey on weaker players.

- Dark Souls II world is about the same size of Dark Souls, but in regards of how proceeding through the world the player will be given more freedom to choose their decisions.

- Lifegems are being balanced and tuned, number of items in general will be limited to balance the game progression.

- Dark Souls II bosses will not be necessarily bigger than Dark Souls, just more interesting in terms of design and fighting style.

- Feedback from the beta was positive, the results of the test proved that Bamco's servers in Japan have plenty of capacity, though it will likely set up local servers in North America and Europe too.

- The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.

- The team cranked up the difficulty but it's still debating whether it's too hard or too easy.

- Regarding the PC version, Tanimura says the game development is based on PC and they will make sure that the main PC game features are supported.

- Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

More details in the magazine.

The article is now available online if anyone wants to read it

lordy88

BPw7TG_CEAA7RGt.jpg:large

- The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.

I actually got shivers when hearing this. Oh god I want this game.

sublimit

Banned
- Miyazaki is closely overseeing development of the game, unlike of what was previously reported.
I don't believe this.More likely they are just trying to eradicate any hesitation from old fans prior to the release.

Lock if old

Plenty of new information of Dark Souls II appeared in this month's EDGE issue:

- Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.

- The team cranked up the difficulty but it's still debating whether it's too hard or too easy.

- Regarding the PC version, Tanimura says the game development is based on PC and they will make sure that the main PC game features are supported.

The above are very good signs this game will be as good as Dark Souls. I'm glad they decided against making the game easier. Also, more people on the team, means a more detailed world, more enemies, more variety. I have no doubt that FROM will deliver again an excellent game.

jgmo870

Banned
Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.
Dark Souls II world is about the same size of Dark Souls
Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

What's with twice the manpower, then?

linko9

Awesome. Love to hear that they aren't caving to pressure from wimps. It's called Dark Souls 2, not Light Souls 2, amirite??

Really pleased to hear that Miyazaki is more involved than we thought. Definitely remains my most anticipated game.

popyea

Some great new concept art is revealed as well. There's this big old castle that looks beautiful, and a really great looking enemy with claws and a really cool helmet.

Ephemeris

- Hints of a new Covenant that will act as a police force hunting down invaders, adding an element of risk on those who seek to prey on weaker players.
JUSTICE
The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.
Oh you guys.

- Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

So... late 2014 to early 2015 then? ;D

Zushin

Fuck yes.

jabuseika

Would be like From to take players complains of hard areas during the beta, and actually make them harder.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Because fuck you.

PRAIIIIISSEEE THE SUUUNNN!!!!!

I love that they aren't going to let people request that be changed and win. I love that torch/shield dynamic.

My most anticipated game of 2014. It's gonna be amazing, I just know it.

Time to get around to playing Demon's Souls in anticipation.

popyea

What's with twice the manpower, then?

They've said the game will be roughly the same size, but will be more densely detailed. So I guess all the extra manpower is for "nice touches". Though the interview also says that despite being doubled, the budget is still "no where near that of a western triple-A release".

Seance

Banned
I hope they work on the animations and graphics plenty before release. A lot of what has been shown is a step back from Dark Souls.

Robot Pants

Sounds really good. Especially these.

I hope they work on the animations and graphics plenty before release. A lot of what has been shown is a step back from Dark Souls.
And I REALLY agree with this.

"The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision."

This is hilariously good. Quit bitching and make the hard choice, gamers.

Grief.exe

Sounds like a very fun cat and mouse fight, better be good at dodging his attacks.

Please don't disappoint me From, you are already delaying the release, make this an excellent port I can play for decades.

While we are at it, lets get GFWL out of Dark Souls 1.

Top Bottom