• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE has pictures of "new" Wii controller add-ons!

They have a picture of a briefcase filled with classic controllers that can be plugged into the Wiimote. The controllers include N64, SNES, NES, Genesis and TG-16. Too bad I can't post a scan here or link to a site containing one ;( Apparently, some select people got to see this during E3.

Anyone else seen it?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
FoxHimself said:
They have a picture of a briefcase filled with classic controllers that can be plugged into the Wiimote. The controllers include N64, SNES, NES, Genesis and TG-16. Too bad I can't post a scan here or link to a site containing one ;( Apparently, some select people got to see this during E3.

Anyone else seen it?
You better not be making this up. Also there goes my wallet if true.

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to pick up this month's issue.

BTW, Fox, I sent you a PM about something else. Check your box.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
WiiDSmoker said:
what would be the point of the virtual console controller then? i call fake
Well I'm sure not everyone would want to buy 5 controllers when 1 would do. I predicted this ages ago that they would have retro controllers, and I just know that nostalgia will make me buy them!

8bit

Knows the Score
It's a flightcase containing various classic controllers, there's not a lot to see. I'm not even sure that there are connections to the wii controller visible.

Xellotah

I saw the picture too, and it makes sense to, the layout of the sega genesis pad is vastly different from the classic controller.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this sounds like something rigged up for a magazine visual, rather than any implication that you'll be able to plug your tg16 controller into the waggle wand. that would be pretty sweet, though.

KINGMOKU

Awesome. There should be ZERO complaints now from anyone about the VC games(Unless they are priced at a stupid level)

Now not only do you get the game delivered right to your console, you can play the bastard exactly how it was played back in the day.

All I can say is;

BLAZING ****ING LASERS WITH TG-16 PAD FTW

For the collecter, this is a wet dream. Old+oldnew controller. :lol

8bit

Knows the Score
John Harker said:
Are they all white?

Nope, they're all as you would expect to see them. There's nothing to distinguish them from the controllers of old, and they may well be old controllers in a fancy box right now.

jett

D-Member
What would be the point of that shit with the Classic Wii controller shown at E3?

edit: wait, are they just controller adapters and not new controllers?

Xellotah

DJLanglois said:
I'll say this:

It looks fake to me.

The picture is definitely in the magazine and it was taken at E3, whether or not these controllers will eventually come to fruition is another matter.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
moku said:
For the collecter, this is a wet dream. Old+oldnew controller. :lol

How is downloading "roms", a collectors wet dream? Last time I checked, record collectors don't much care for downloading their old favourites from iTunes, and as a semi-game collector, I'd rather have the original cartrdige... for collecting, ya know?

SumGamer

I'm not gonna believe anything until I see it myself.

~Shit, didn't know that :p srry~

I just have no way to get the magazine around here :(. Last time I read EDGE was in the library which always about a month and a half late :(.

I skimmed through the magazine the other day. Saw the picture, I just thought it was a set-up pic to promote the backwards compatibility. I'm not a Wii fan so I didn't read the details.

KINGMOKU

McBacon said:
How is downloading "roms", a collectors wet dream? Last time I checked, record collectors don't much care for downloading their old favourites from iTunes, and as a semi-game collector, I'd rather have the original cartrdige... for collecting, ya know?
Not the game, but the controllers my man. I have a friend who has hundreds of game pads, he collects them, not the games. I know that sounds odd, but collecters are a wierdo bunch to begin with anyway,

He'll go nuts about this. Now he can have his old TG-16 controllers, alongside the new/old controller.

Damn nutjob he is. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's there, page 10. The caption simply reads "In private, Nintendo showed off a Pulp-Fiction-style suitcase of prototype replica Wii controllers for Virtual Console games".

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
gofreak said:
It's there, page 10. The caption simply reads "In private, Nintendo showed off a Pulp-Fiction-style suitcase of prototype replica Wii controllers for Virtual Console games".

So THAT'S what was in that damn suitcase!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ranger X said:
Fake.
Why do you think there's that SNES-like controller?

One to work generally with all of them? But if you want you can get replicas of the originals to make the experience that little bit more authentic?

As with a lot of the peripheral stuff Nintendo was showing, though, there's no guarantee this stuff will make it to market. That they only showed these privately suggests they're even less sure about these.

Ranger X

gofreak said:
One to work generally with all of them? But if you want you can get replicas of the originals to make the experience that little bit more authentic?

As with a lot of the peripheral stuff Nintendo was showing, though, there's no guarantee this stuff will make it to market. That they only showed these privately suggests they're even less sure about these.

We finally got an image so... trust +1
But i'll wait for Nintendo to announce those before getting excited.
Also, i hope they could work with the original console too (even if with an adapter) 'cause i could use some original controllers for my NES...

Ranger X said:
Also, i hope they could work with the original console too (even if with an adapter) 'cause i could use some original controllers for my NES...

there is no way in hell they would work with the orignal console... remember, they want to sell VC games.

FoxHimself said:
It's 100% legit, seriously.

If Nintendo chooses to release these, I dunno, I know I want to play some games the way they were ment to be played.

Sigh..nice to see Nintendo will be taking th eMS route with add-on rape....

Outcast2004 said:
Sigh..nice to see Nintendo will be taking th eMS route with add-on rape....

Dont need to buy them if they offer the classic controller. These are just for folks who want to play with the originals.

aoi tsuki

i seriously doubt they're planning on releasing adapters to allow you to use all of the old controllers. i'm guessing this was something they had planned on showing to advertise VC, but thought better of. i hope i'm wrong about that though, or that someone down the road does release such adapters.

Ranger X said:

I don't see why an adapter wouldn't work, so here's hoping!

Ranger X said:
There was a key word in my post: "adapter"

didnt miss it. maybe a third party might pop up and try to put out some sort of adapter (doubtful, i can't see how they plan to turn a profit on that) but Nintendo surely won't. They don't want you to play your NES. they want you to play your VC so you are buying old games that they have profited on long long ago.

Amir0x

Banned
moku said:
Not the game, but the controllers my man. I have a friend who has hundreds of game pads, he collects them, not the games. I know that sounds odd, but collecters are a wierdo bunch to begin with anyway,

He'll go nuts about this. Now he can have his old TG-16 controllers, alongside the new/old controller.

Damn nutjob he is. :lol

He's still right - nobody wants to collect new imitations of the old controllers... collectors want the old controllers themselves. The originals

Ranger X

meltpotato said:
didnt miss it. maybe a third party might pop up and try to put out some sort of adapter (doubtful, i can't see how they plan to turn a profit on that) but Nintendo surely won't. They don't want you to play your NES. they want you to play your VC so you are buying old games that they have profited on long long ago.

I know Nintendo wouldn't give a shite obviously. I wish a third party does the move though, this is still possible. I mean, they just want to sell that controller so why not making it work with both... 2 incentives to buy is better than one that's for sure ;)

DO YOU HEAR ME LOGITEK? (**** madcatz and niko)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They should've re-done the N64 controller's stick in line with the GC's, the original one was horrid in the long run if not handled gently.

Top Bottom