• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE has pictures of "new" Wii controller add-ons!

dyls

meltpotato said:
didnt miss it. maybe a third party might pop up and try to put out some sort of adapter (doubtful, i can't see how they plan to turn a profit on that) but Nintendo surely won't. They don't want you to play your NES. they want you to play your VC so you are buying old games that they have profited on long long ago.

Take 78 cents worth of plastic and metal, sell for $9.99 to 5000 hardcore gamers willing to search it out online. Profit turned. I guarantee some third-party will put out adapters (SNES and N64 at the least). They may not be the easiest things to find on store shelves (or work 100% with all games) but they will definitely exist. As an owner of a 'joybox', I feel pretty confident.

Everyone that attended the Wii booth at E3 could see these hanging on the wall at the exit

I saw them, I stared at them and I said to Santo "I think I just Wiiiied myself"

that´s how awesome the power of Wii truly is! :D

Wii>>>>>>>everything else

jett

D-Member
They're just the original, old controllers connected to the wiimote.

BTW...Edge scans aren't allowed either? Isn't it a euromag? :p

Well, looking at my copy of the mag it seems that the pic is just a mock-up (the Wii controller looks particularly out of place, for example).

The wording is also slightly peculiar - what is a "protoype replica Wii controller" for a Virtual Console game? The mock-up suggests that Edge mean that replica NES, SNES etc. pads were being shown, but is it possible that they've got their wires crossed & the protoype pads being demonstrated were variants of the Virtual Console controller Nintendo showed off at E3?

I also seem to remember Iwata making some comment in an interview about "carrying around a case full of old controllers" for some reason - anyone else recall that?

Nander

robertsan21 said:
Everyone that attended the Wii booth at E3 could see these hanging on the wall at the exit

Hmm? The magzine says "In private, Nintendo showed off [...] prototype replica Wii controllers fpr Virtual Console games."

Keyword here is "private". So who is right? EDGE or Robert? ;)

Mrbob

What the hizell.

I don't ask for much, but virtual console games (I'm looking at you N64) better be retailered for the generic Wii gamepad. The other systems should be fine with the current general Wii remote setup. I'm not buying a bunch of different gamepads.

Saoh

i´ve seen the pic. cant we even post a website?? :(

anyway, it looks fake to me. its just a wiimote with a bunch of regular NES/SNES/N64/GENESIS/TURBOGRAFX? controllers. they´re not even painted wii-white, they actually look old and yellow-ish.

EDGE says its a replica of the wiimote with controllers for the VC.

dunno.

plz dont ban me :eek: :(

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Still interesting nevertheless; they do look like it's just an original controller w/ new plug... It's kinda sad seeing how dull and gross the n64 controller looks (case wise) compared to the Wii.

Saoh

DrEvil said:
Still interesting nevertheless; they do look like it's just an original controller w/ new plug... It's kinda sad seeing how dull and gross the n64 controller looks (case wise) compared to the Wii.

hehe yeah, they`re all fugly compared to wii :D

thank god the white/gray-to-yellow paint is long gone :)

ok buddyc :|

BooJoh

It honestly looked fake to me, and even if it's real, I can't imagine NOA releasing them at all. They seem like something that even NCL would just toss up on Club Nintendo only. And the controllers look old and used to me, and would they actually have prototypes using the NES and SNES cntrollers now and not the Famicom and Super Famicom controllers?

An adapter might work, but I wouldn't want an adapter for every system... classic controller they showed at E3 seems good enough to me.

Rlan

I'd say it's fake simply because the Megadrive controller being used is the 3-button version. Surely they'd go for the 6-button version, or even the better Saturn rendition.

Plus, isn't the "classic controller" wired only?

Chris B

Theres a load of scans of the mag here: EDIT - JUST SEEN THE MOD WARNING

Including the one with all the funky controllers.

Wii is starting to sound pricey (controller wise)

But seriously who would buy them, just for that retro freshness :lol

Nander said:
Hmm? The magzine says "In private, Nintendo showed off [...] prototype replica Wii controllers fpr Virtual Console games."

Keyword here is "private". So who is right? EDGE or Robert? ;)

well I saw them in the E3 Wii booth and they where hanging on the wall and I know I did not attend any "private show"

blazinglasers said:
well I don't know what's what, but I just saw the "scan" and it looks fake... now, any way of getting a TG16 emu on the DS?
I believe there's one for the GBA, but I've not used it.

Mrbob said:
I don't ask for much, but virtual console games (I'm looking at you N64) better be retailered for the generic Wii gamepad. The other systems should be fine with the current general Wii remote setup. I'm not buying a bunch of different gamepads.
You don't ask for much, just for hundreds of old games to be given a radically altered control scheme instead of requiring a person use a GameCube controller or Wii classic-style controller.

D3VI0US

It's badass is if they just released adapters and we could use the controllers we already own but that's too good to be true. Why the **** would they make it plug into the Wiimote? Why not just make it a standalone wireless controller unless that's the case? Even if they did manage to release all of these awesome old school controllers they found a way to ruin it by having them plug in if they're selling anything other than an adapter. I'd pay the extra money to have an untethered controller. Personally though I like playing games on the controller they're meant to be played on, I would get every single one of those controllers just cause it feels so right.

pitt_norton

I don't know... that scan is more like a metaphor for what the Virtual Console Classic Controller will play than the actual attachments (That would be stupid and all cluttered in my opinion. Play the original machine if you want an authentic experience).

soepkip

pitt_norton said:
I don't know... that scan is more like a metaphor for what the Virtual Console Classic Controller will play than the actual attachments (That would be stupid and all cluttered in my opinion. Play the original machine if you want an authentic experience).

Exactly.. Just an artistic way to show what consoles can by played by Wii.

8bit

Knows the Score
To be honest, I wouldn't be too sure about Edge's claims that the controllers were actually intended to work with the wii controller. It's the worst issue of the magazine I've read in a long time, and seems to have quite a few errors in it that weren't caught by an editor.

And that's not counting the sychophancy towards Phil Harrison and wii jokes.

Shmmeee

D3VI0US said:
It's badass is if they just released adapters and we could use the controllers we already own but that's too good to be true. Why the **** would they make it plug into the Wiimote? Why not just make it a standalone wireless controller unless that's the case? Even if they did manage to release all of these awesome old school controllers they found a way to ruin it by having them plug in if they're selling anything other than an adapter. I'd pay the extra money to have an untethered controller. Personally though I like playing games on the controller they're meant to be played on, I would get every single one of those controllers just cause it feels so right.

Like the Classic pad, connecting to the Wiimote means cheaper wireless pads. Didn't the classic pad at E3 have a clip to attach the Wiimote to the back? I hope it does because I want the classic pad to be like a DS3. Anyway maybe some enterprising soul will make a small box with just the wireless bit of the wiimote in it.

As a semi-collector of old consoles I already have a huge box of controllers so I'd rather play onthe actual machine, but for some of the rare/overpriced games I could see myself picking up a pad.

To those asking for links/PMs, how bad do you suck at the Internet?

8bit said:
To be honest, I wouldn't be too sure about Edge's claims that the controllers were actually intended to work with the wii controller. It's the worst issue of the magazine I've read in a long time, and seems to have quite a few errors in it that weren't caught by an editor.

It wasn't a great issue, was it? I thought their E3 reporting was pretty lacklustre, skipping over some major titles and giving inordinate space to some relatively minor ones, and running a fairly confused account of all three conferences into one clunky article. There were also a couple of nasty, blown-up press pics (Super Mario Galaxy and Bioshock, in particular) that really didn't do justice to the games being illustrated. Disappointing.

Shmmeee said:
Didn't the classic pad at E3 have a clip to attach the Wiimote to the back? I hope it does because I want the classic pad to be like a DS3 with rumble.

ruh-roh; added. :>

Also:
GreenNight said:
The pic that I posted wasnt from Edge. FoxHimself took it on his digital camera at E3. Whats the problem?
Would be okay to post I guess!?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
pitt_norton said:
Thaaaank you! I was thinking the exact same thing.

The scan is not fake but Edge could have missinterpreted it as controllers that work with Wii rather than a representation of what the Wii can play.

From a recent Iwata interview:

At the conclusion of the interview, Mr. Iwata picked up a metal briefcase and smiled as he opened it to display each controller type from the respective systems that will be supported by the Wii's Virtual Console. It was a nice touch.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12748&rp=1

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Smiles and Cries said:
damn this thread - I feel so lost

If there is a mag scan you want to find, chances are you can find it at the site whose name cannot be mentioned...

*hint*

It is the evil sister-site of GAF.....you know, the one who complains about us 24/7 :)

*hint 2*

Think: "brazil" :)

Top Bottom