• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Issue 201

acm2000

Cover/Back

GTA: Chinatown Wars - 9
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena - 8
Little King's Story - 9
Godfather II - 6
Wanted: Weapons of Fate - 4
Madworld - 6
Plants Vs Zombies - 9
Wheelman - 4
Battleforge - 7
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time - 6 (both Wii and DS tested)
Sonic and the Black Knight - 3
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - 7

Time Extended: Viewtiful Joe
The Making of: Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.

Features:
- "We discover why Champions Online looks like anything but World Of Warcraft in tights"
- "Namco's maligned Dead To Rights franchise is back- with a vengeance, naturally"
- Blitz Games explains how its 3DTV depth charge will shake up your perspective on- and in- videogames"
- "Fallout 2 designer and Planescape: Torment creator Chris Avellone reflects on a career as legendary as an RPG's lore"
- "Will the number 13 prove lucky for some? Square Enix lifts the curtain on the latest marvel in the Final Fantasy series" (the screens look great)

Previewed: inFamous, Sims 3, Fuel, God of War 3, Ghostbusters, Overlord 2, Bionic Commando, Star Trek Online, The Conduit, Boom Blox Bash Party, Call of Juarez BOB, Battlestations Pacific.

Next month: Bizarre Creation's new game.

sauce rllmuk, Visualante

anyone have cover scan?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I want text from the Madworld review.

(please ;) )

El-Suave

Awesome score for Little King's Story. Probably won't sell much anyway, but I'm glad it seems to be a great game.

A Review for Plants vs Zombies already? I first heard about the game about a week ago!

The nine really makes me interested in the game though, here's hoping for a multiplatform release in the future (XBLA, WiiWare, PSN)!

AkuMifune

Banned
Wow great score for Riddick! Initial impressions had me worried.

Euro-bias again maybe? Anyone remember what they gave The Darkness?

AniHawk

trailers/videos of LKS have made me wary of the game, but people keep saying it's pretty great. I'm interested in hearing what Edge had to say.

Musashi Wins! said:
What is Little Kings Story?

It's a Wii game that's a sort of mix between Pikmin and My Life as a King... from what I understand. The producer is the creator of Harvest Moon.

Musashi Wins! said:
I see they called the style over substance about certain games :p

Totally. Take that, Wanted, Wheelman, and Sonic!

Will transcribe Little King Story once my issue arrives. Suddenly I care about it.

Popcap really have made their genre of games into a science. Cover should be FFXIII if the next month page is to be believed.

+++ LOL at the zombie dolphins

Musashi Wins! said:
What is Little Kings Story?

I see they called the style over substance about certain games :p
Should be an awesome game. It's from the same developers of Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory 1 and 2. Pretty much all you need to know.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
AniHawk said:
It's a Wii game that's a sort of mix between Pikmin and My Life as a King... from what I understand. The producer is the creator of Harvest Moon.

fucking hell. How have we not heard about this more before now? Sounds like perfection distilled. But on the Wii

:p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Talladega Knight said:
Should be an awesome game. It's from the same developers of Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory 1 and 2. Pretty much all you need to know.

Oh that is an interesting connection.

mrklaw said:
fucking hell. How have we not heard about this more before now? Sounds like perfection distilled. But on the Wii

:p

There's been quite a bit of information and hype about it already. certainly not to killzone levels or anything but it's been quietly one of the more anticipated titles on the Wii.

RobbieNick

I'm so fucking sick of my area always being out of Edge magazine. It's the only british gaming magazine that my local Barns and Noble doesn't carry. The one that does takes twice as long to get to, and when I went last, they were out. My local Fry's had 198, but it was all messed up with creases and even someone doing their math homework inside. >-:(

I finally broke down and spent the $72 to subscribe.

AniHawk

Talladega Knight said:

Except it's nothing like Hotel Dusk or the Trace Memory games as it's a sim/strategy game.

Sean

Banned
Wait so Plants vs Zombies is a real game after all and not just an April Fools gag from PopCap? I'm so confused.

billy.sea

Banned
LOL at the video of Plants vs Zombies. It pushes ridiculous to a new high.

Also happy that Little King Story got great review~

Features:
- "We discover why Champions Online looks like anything but World Of Warcraft in tights"
- "Namco's maligned Dead To Rights franchise is back- with a vengeance, naturally"
- Blitz Games explains how its 3DTV depth charge will shake up your perspective on- and in- videogames"
- "Fallout 2 designer and Planescape: Torment creator Chris Avellone reflects on a career as legendary as an RPG's lore"
- "Will the number 13 prove lucky for some? Square Enix lifts the curtain on the latest marvel in the Final Fantasy series" (the screens look great)

Previewed: inFamous, Sims 3, Fuel, God of War 3, Ghostbusters, Overlord 2, Bionic Commando, Star Trek Online, The Conduit, Boom Blox Bash Party, Call of Juarez BOB, Battlestations Pacific.

Next month: Bizarre Creation's new game.

Any requests? I'm pretty busy to choose wisely.

52vkk.jpg

261zs3s.jpg

kenji

Visualante said:
Any requests? I'm pretty busy to choose wisely.
can you resume what they say about little king's story, mad world and sonic?
thanks for the details :)

disappointed about sonic's vote.. meh, could not be great (i think it is) but 3 is an horrible vote >_>"

GhaleonQ

Little King's Story's validated! Now maybe NeoGAF and the major websites will finally start talking about it instead of MadWorld and The Conduit.

Truant

AkuMifune said:
Wow great score for Riddick! Initial impressions had me worried.

Euro-bias again maybe? Anyone remember what they gave The Darkness?

fuck europe, y'all. worse country i've know. they should suport local devs, edge is not german lol

kenji said:
can you resume what they say about little king's story, mad world and sonic?
thanks for the details :)

disappointed about sonic's vote.. meh, could not be great (i think it is) but 3 is an horrible vote >_>"
Little King Story "You couldn't call Little King Story deep, but its replacement of a linear narrative with a single objective that's accompanied by many discrete narratives besides is an achievement many games would do well to learn from."... "Little King's Story is as rich as it is long, and it's a very lengthy game indeed."... It's a game of rare quality, and exactly what the Wii deserves." note: a lot of the review explains what the gameplay is like, assuring that it is fun, but seemed pointless to paraphrase that here, look at some videos if you're not sure.

MadWorld "Initially, this is a lot of gory fun. Then after your 20th skewer-type-environmental kill combo, it palls a little. By the 40th you're just bored."... "What really pulls MadWorld up by its bootstraps, however, are its climactic moments. The bosses are alternately huge and imaginative, the fights are staged spectacularly" they liked the production values, music, commentary, hated the AI, limited amount of kills and waggle prompts.

Sonic [3] "Sonic offers us one thrill [speed], and Black Knight refuses to indulge it"

kenji

Visualante said:
Little King Story "You couldn't call Little King Story deep, but its replacement of a linear narrative with a single objective that's accompanied by many discrete narratives besides is an achievement many games would do well to learn from."... "Little King's Story is as rich as it is long, and it's a very lengthy game indeed."... It's a game of rare quality, and exactly what the Wii deserves." note: a lot of the review explains what the gameplay is like, assuring that it is fun, but seemed pointless to paraphrase that here, look at some videos if you're not sure.

MadWorld "Initially, this is a lot of gory fun. Then after your 20th skewer-type-environmental kill combo, it palls a little. By the 40th you're just bored."... "What really pulls MadWorld up by its bootstraps, however, are its climactic moments. The bosses are alternately huge and imaginative, the first are staged spectacularly" they liked the production values, music, commentary, hated the AI, limited amount of kills and waggle prompts.

Sonic [3] "Sonic offers us one thrill [speed], and Black Knight refuses to indulge it"

GhaleonQ

Visualante said:

Beautiful. From anchors at Love-De-Lic, Marvelous, Cing, Square-Enix, and with fricking Shimomura, it's pretty much designed for me, specifically.

One guy brought up the shallow thing in the main topic. When they say it's "rich as it is long," I assume that the "rich" refers not to the simplified Pikmin-style fights or basic town expansion. Are they talking about the ways that you can conquer the countries and the way the stories are told?

GhaleonQ said:
When they say it's "rich as it is long," I assume that the "rich" refers not to the simplified Pikmin-style fights or basic town expansion. Are they talking about the ways that you can conquer the countries and the way the stories are told?
Yeah I think that's a fair assumption. They go on from talking about how your world expands and some of the other kings (one being an alcoholic) challenge you, into that summary. It really is one of the most positive Edge reviews I've read in a while.

Top Bottom