• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Issue 300 - Welcome to the Fantasy Zone

Amazing achievement for EDGE magazine this month - the 300th issue! The magazine started in 1993, which is crazy longevity for a magazine covering video games. There is a special feature with tons of prominent video game industry personalities listing their 'best game' of the past 23 years.

Cover is Final Fantasy XV - not the best cover ever tbh. But it's there because there is a 40h playtest impressions of Final Fantasy XV.

FBA19E51-07B1-49CE-AB58-31E932E7F136.thumb.jpg.2c00c93c68d3d6d959e2c4843077212a.jpg
001.thumb.jpg.561089b638ffab323837ec98796ee95c.jpg

The magazine also comes with a nice poster.

Reviews - Bit of a PSVR blowout this month...

Battlefield 1 - 9
Gears of War 4 - 7
Mafia 3 - 6
RIGS - 8
Civilization VI - 6
Rez Infinite - 9
Thumper - 8
SuperHyperCube - 6
Battlezone - 7
Batman Arkham VR - 7
PS VR Worlds - 6

Features
The Best Games in EDGE History - Some of the finest minds in global development pick their greatest title released since August 19th, 1993.

Finally - Forty hours on the road with Noctis & Co in Final Fantasy XV's lavish, troubled reinvention. - Simon Parkin.

Cover Story - What goes on page one of EDGE? Let's browse 300 issues' worth and work it all out.

The Making of - Shovel Knight - how a small team's 8-bit obsession birthed Shovel Knight.

Studio Profile - Inside 343 industries, the Halo guardian, planning a collaborative, multimedia future.

Time Extend - a look back at Nier.

Previews
Dead Rising 4
Pyre
Snake Pass
Hello Neighbor
NIdhogg 2
A Light in Chorus
Lost Ember
Star Control: Origins
My Summer Car
RDR2
Cuphead

El-Suave

I saw a "preview" of RDR2 in a German mag, too but didn't buy it. Those are just glorified trailer analysis articles with additional speculation, aren't they?

I saw a "preview" of RDR2 in a German mag, too but didn't buy it. Those are just glorified trailer analysis articles with additional speculation, aren't they?

I just listed the games in their preview section. Often the one's listed towards the end of the list are nothing more than a small paragraph.

I have all previous 299 issues strewn across my flat. Been collecting it since I was 14 (now 37).

One of my big regrets is my throw out of EDGEs starting in 1999. I often wish I could go back and read them but space was at a premium so they had to go.

El-Suave

I just listed the games in their preview section. Often the one's listed towards the end of the list are nothing more than a small paragraph.

I thought that might be the case, the German mag (GamePro) even had RDR2 on the cover which is laughable if my suspicions about the content are accurate.

Zia

Super disappointing as a 300th issue (250 is still one of my favorite magazines ever) and interested to read Civ VI review... they rarely even review strategy games so it's one of those situations where I wish they had bylines.

Nice throwback to issue 1

Aaaah, now I get it. Awesome!

Super disappointing as a 300th issue (250 is still one of my favorite magazines ever) and interested to read Civ VI review... they rarely even review strategy games so it's one of those situations where I wish they had bylines.
There is a special feature with tons of prominent video game industry personalities listing their 'best game' of the past 23 years.

Here are some selections from the 'Best Games since 1993' feature:

Fumito Ueda - Virtua Fighter
Dan Pinchbeck (Chinese Room) - Doom
Greg Kasavin (Supergiant) - Super Metroid
Toshihiro Nagoshi - Pokémon
David Braben - Super Mario 64
Chet Falliszek (Valve) - Civilization II
Dylan Cuthbert (Q Games) - Super Mario 64
Warren Spector - Super Mario 64
Phil Harrison - Ocarina of Time
Hideo Kojima - Pokémon Silver & Gold
Cliffy B - Counter Strike
Yoshinori Ono - GTA 3
Sefton Hill (Rocksteady) - Metroid Prime
Sam Lake (Remedy) - Half Life 2
Neil Druckman (Naughty Dog) - Resident Evil 4
Hajime Tabata (Square Enix) - GTA V

ffvorax

Its some time that I don't buy that magazine... will buy digital version just 'cause i'm curious of some reviews and articles of this number! :)

Bit of a weak cover. Would have been great if they'd have at least got some custom FFXV art for their 300th special.

Seems like a decent issue though and I may check it out.

Zia

Meh. Something like "The Best Games To Play Today" is always more productive and insightful that developers talking about a game that was good 20 years ago, particularly since a few on that list have already discussed those games at length.

Meh. Something like "The Best Games To Play Today" is always more productive and insightful that developers talking about a game that was good 20 years ago, particularly since a few on that list have already discussed those games at length.

Well, I'm not judging until I've read it, Mr. Judges-Before-Reading

Top Bottom