• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

mocoworm

It's in this issue. I have a link to a scan of the page but I don't know if I can post it ?

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/e270-infinite-epic-indie-the-inside-story-of-no-mans-sky/

EDGE said:
PS4 NOW
No Man's Sky is coming to PC, but will launch as a timed exclusive for PS4. So has that changed the game in any way? "I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to deel really console-y" says Murray. "We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid framerate and immediate controls"

"I think a PC game can be 'console-y' and it's intended as a compliment, but I get in trouble for saying it." But While Hello always planned for it's game to come out on consoles, knowing it's lead platform has been useful.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, I'm glad the exclusivity isn't permanent.

Jb

Weird, I hope it's just because they don't have the ressources for a simultaneous PC release.

Pretty sure Sean Murray of Hello Games previously said it was a timed PS4 exclusive and that they'd look at a PC release down the line after the PS4 version launched, so it isn't exactly new news.

Weird, I hope it's just because they don't have the ressources for a simultaneous PC release.

I assume it means timed console exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version hit first. Have we had any confirmation on that?

Sarobi

Banned
Well this is interesting.
Hopefully it's only console timed exclusive, as I was looking forward to picking this up on PC.. waiting would suck

I assume it means timed console exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version hit first. Have we had any confirmation on that?

They've said that there's a good chance that the PC version will hit after the PS4 version because they might not have the resources for both. The PS4 seems to be their priority.

Probably grab it on steam then.

Starting to worry that I might play even less console games than I did last gen.

The choice is on your hand to play this game first in PS4, but you are choosing the steam for graphics/price as main priority over playing first experience in Console before PC. Seems like you are going wrong path for me over graphics/price instead of playing the game you like when its available as the developer said they are doing only PS4 version first for stable controls and frame rate.

That kind of sucks but whatever. I'd rather have it on PC so I'll wait.

Don't really understand how console-y would ever mean solid framerate though.

EGM1966

Hope this exclusivity isn't long and that its not just PC and ps4...
I can't see Sony being interested in timed exclusivity if the only other platform being considered was PC - therefore I assume that it will release on other consoles later.

jem0208

I can't see Sony being interested in timed exclusivity if the only other platform being considered was PC - therefore I assume that it will release on other consoles later.
Most likely is the case.

I wonder how long its exclusivity is for...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty sure Sean Murray of Hello Games previously said it was a timed PS4 exclusive and that they'd look at a PC release down the line after the PS4 version launched, so it isn't exactly new news.

Yep, that's what he's said all along. PS4 first, since they don't have the resources to work on several versions at once. Then perhaps (probably) PC. The game has never been presented as a proper PS4 exclusive. Not sure what the news is here.

wazoo

timed exclusivity to get exposure and marketing push plus fanboy support.

nothing of these would be possible on pc.

stable controls and framerate: let me laugh, the pc version will have all of these and better

Oublieux

Timed exclusivity is a waste of money IMO. I'm disappointed Sony is following that route lately.

I'm happy other people are getting to play it, honestly. Exclusivity is a business tactic, I get it, but I feel the more people that get to experience awesome games, the better.

Ubersnug

I thought we already knew this? During the sony conference, The game was introduced as having it's console 'Debut' in the PS4...

ekim

So does that mean, that it only comes to PS4 and PC later or do we have a chance for a X1 release?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Basicly the same deal as with Joe Danger?

Ambition

So does that mean, that it only comes to PS4 and PC later or do we have a chance for a X1 release?

What it means is that currently they're more focused on getting out the PS4 version and then after that the PC version. About the xbone, I dunno they haven't mentioned it at all.

fras

Banned
Are you complaining about the exclusivity, or that the exclusivity is timed?

Because you're just being silly if it's the latter

I'm complaining because timed exclusivity is good for nobody. If you enjoy being the only one able to play a game just because you are on a certain system, you're an asshole. Timed exclusivity should not be a thing.

jem0208

What? How? I'm a bit gutted that I have to wait to play it on my platform of choice. How am I being silly?

I think you misread my post. By the latter I meant complaining about it coming to platforms other than the ps4. As in complaining that the exclusivity would end and was only timed.

Sorry, it was poorly worded.
I'm complaining because timed exclusivity is good for nobody. If you enjoy being the only one able to play a game just because you are on a certain system, you're an asshole. Timed exclusivity should not be a thing.
That's what I was trying to say. I thought you might have been complaining about the fact that it was coming to other platforms.

I completely agree that timed exclusivity is stupid.

I've edited the original post to make more sense now :)

Top Bottom