• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

I think you misread my post. By the latter I meant complaining about it coming to platforms other than the ps4. As in complaining that the exclusivity would end and was only timed.

Sorry, it was poorly worded.

Ah, I see. I apologise. No, I'm just a bit gutted that I have to wait for the PC version but I understand Hello Games are a small team and they don't necessarily have the resources for a simultaneous release. Hopefully it's not a super long wait, but at least there are tons of great games out soon to tide me over.

fras

Banned
Hopefully it does well enough to warrant an xbox one port, game looks amazing and I'd hate to miss out.

I'm sure it'll happen, just Sony being Sony and keeping any details about Xbox getting a port completely dark. Just like Diablo 3, again.

GHG

Gold Member
How does console game equal "solid framerate"? If anything I feel it's the opposite.

How so?

A PC games framerate is largely dependant on the hardware it's running on and the settings the user chooses to run the game at.

A console games framerate is solely dependant on how well the game is coded.

Thought we knew this already?

OT I don't really believe in single game system sellers, but could see a lot of people actually buying a ps4 because of this game. The potential is amazing.

cripterion

How so?

A PC games framerate is largely dependant on the hardware it's running on.

A console games framerate is solely dependant on how well the game is coded.

Pretty much all games I own on consoles have a variable/unstable framerate, if not for TLOU which came out recently. I have none of these problems on my pc. Yes, I realize I'm talking about my experience with my pc.

Sorry but I don't understand, what is the difference of feeling between a PC with a console controller and a console with its controller ? What is this console-y excuse ? Is this the worst justification ever ?

I think they are just using that as an excuse, I think the real reason is that they can't justify a simultaneous release with the size of their team and maybe they think people would prefer this reasoning? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just want a release window, man. I don't want to hype myself for this apparantly godlike game when it turns out it's still 2 years away or something.

I really hope Sony didn't pay for exclusivity, that practice needs to die already. spend that on your firmware efforts or network infrastructure.

Qassim

That's annoying. I really want to play this game, I'll probably get it for PS4 but I'd much, much rather have it on PC.

Really, really disappointing. They're a small team with quite an ambitious game, so I completely understand targeting one platform first - I don't really understand their reasoning, but I'm not going to hold it against them that they can't do a simultaneous release.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Since there has been nothing stating fit will only be on PS4 and never on Xbox One, I remain ever hopeful.

Hopefully by saying "always planned for it's game to come out on consoles" ,means there was intention of this coming to both consoles. I thought when they announced this at VGX that it was for PC and then maybe down the line consoles... Obviously everything must have changed when Sony approached them.

Chobel

Since there has been nothing stating fit will only be on PS4 and never on Xbox One, I remain ever hopeful.

Phil Spencer tweeted about NMS, so I'm guessing it's also coming to Xbone.

wJidCyB.png

Weird, I hope it's just because they don't have the ressources for a simultaneous PC release.

I'm sure thats the case, its a small studio. The timed exclusive news is good, more people need access to games with a vision like this.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I don't like the term 'Timed exclusive' as it's not an exclusive. If it's coming to other platforms later, don't call it an exclusive. I don't care about how much time passes. I have never bought a console based on anything 'timed'. Unless it's recommended by timedog.

What I also hate is when the info on other platforms are kept secret. A game that is not an exclusive, is just presented as one, until the NDA runs out on it. Just, stop it.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I really hope Sony didn't pay for exclusivity, that practice needs to die already. spend that on your firmware efforts or network infrastructure.

I agree, but their main competitor has quite a history of doing just that. How do you beat a dirty fighter? Fight dirty.

Complete bs, but business is business. And at least it's partially justified in this case. This is an indie game, not a moneyhatted title from a huge, wealthy publisher. Whatever Sony paid for this deal will no doubt be a massive funding boost for the team at hello games and will go a long way towards their ability to realize this ambitious project. In turn, the profits made from the ps4 version will partly go towards funding the ports.

That's annoying. I really want to play this game, I'll probably get it for PS4 but I'd much, much rather have it on PC.

Why not both? When most of the big publishers are shying away from taking chances, why not reward developers for having the balls to make an interesting, ambitious game like this? If this is a huge success, it might just turn a few heads at ea/ubi etc.

You already stated that you'd pick it up for ps4 first, so why not pick it up for pc in a steam sale later down the line. There might even be a bunch of interesting mods by that point.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm complaining because timed exclusivity is good for nobody. If you enjoy being the only one able to play a game just because you are on a certain system, you're an asshole. Timed exclusivity should not be a thing.

It's good for them, because they're a small team without the resources to bring this game out on three (or whatever) platforms at once. So they're focusing on PS4 first, making sure that version is as good as possible. Which is in turn good for us, because we get a game not compromised by multi-platform development. Sure, if you don't have a PS4 you'll have to wait a bit longer, but in the end the game will probably be better for it.

gngf123

"I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to deel really console-y" says Murray. "We've always had PC in mind but in my head (console-y) means solid framerate and immediate controls"

Maybe it's because I've only just woken up, but what the hell is this meant to mean? Framerate issues and bad response times are more of a console problem than a PC one.

EGOMON

I said it before and i say it again. Sony missed a great opportunity with this game they should have gave Hello Games some help with this game to increase its scale, contents and my most wanted feature Online play.
Hello Games are small indie studio they can't offered servers for Online MP Sony settling for the original vision of the team saddens me am sure they would want to reach news highs with their game if they have a proper funding and support by a major publisher.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Maybe it's because I've only just woken up, but what the hell is this meant to mean? Framerate issues and response times are more of a console problem than a PC one.

No variety in hardware, every PS4 version of the game will be pick up and play with a controller, running at the exact framerate as the developer build, with zero settings adjustment required.

The same can't be said about PC games. That's all.

Sentenza

Maybe it's because I've only just woken up, but what the hell is this meant to mean? Framerate issues and bad response times are more of a console problem than a PC one.
I think it mostly means "Let's speak fondly of our business partners".

driver116

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony are funding the game at this point. Is it still 4 people working on it? Seems like a massive game to pull off even if the whole studio is working on it.

MMaRsu

Banned
I said it before and i say it again. Sony missed a great opportunity with this game they should have gave Hello Games some help with this game to increase its scale, contents and my most wanted feature Online play.
Hello Games are small indie studio they can't offered servers for Online MP Sony settling for the original vision of the team saddens me am sure they would want to reach news highs with their game if they have a proper funding and support by a major publisher.

Lop they are creating the game they want to make they dont want to make a mp game.

_Ryo_

I'm still confused. It says it's timed exclusive for PS4 and mentions PC later.

Is it console exclusive or not? It's coming to XB1?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

You missed the ™.

And they do have quite the history of moneyhatting, so I don't see what your objection is.

I doubt we'll find out for a long time. Sony will require them to keep quiet about the potential for an Xbox version, and it's entirely possible that they could throw some more money their way to lock it down ala titanfall.

Lop they are creating the game they want to make they dont want to make a mp game.

Wait what?

I could have sworn there was a MP component. Just not a traditional MMO styled one.

Am I wrong? If so I suddenly don't care at all about no Xbox One version.

Rixa

timed exclusivity to get exposure and marketing push plus fanboy support.

nothing of these would be possible on pc.

stable controls and framerate: let me laugh, the pc version will have all of these and better

Yes. This game sells consoles, media has hyped this game so much. As we already can see in this thread that people are going to buy PS4 for this game. Iam on the hype train too.

Wouldn be suprised if there is white console with golden NMS plate bundle coming.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I could have sworn there was a MP component. Just not a traditional MMO styled one.

There will be other players out there, but I believe encountering another player will be uncommon. I think they want you to feel isolated from other players, but it will be special whenever you encounter one.

That's what I took from interviews with Sean Murray. I could be wrong, but it sounded like that.

There will be other players out there, but I believe encountering another player will be uncommon. I think they want you to feel isolated from other players, but it will be special whenever you encounter one.

That's what I took from interviews with Sean Murray. I could be wrong, but it sounded like that.

I remember that, but with the centralized area where all the ships are and friends I would be SHOCKED if you couldn't simply go to a friends game, given you have met certain goals of exploration, and travel in the game.

Honestly without that option I still feel the same way. Not being able to explore a universe with my friends in co-op pretty much makes this a non starter. I couldn't care less if we didn't run into random players often, but excluding my friends would break this.

Kayant

Phil Spencer tweeted about NMS, so I'm guessing it's also coming to Xbone.

wJidCyB.png

Apart from the tweet being old as mentioned that doesn't sound like Phil hiniting it's coming more like him saying he wanted it on XB1.

Looool Well that's one way to port beg.

I'm still confused. It says it's timed exclusive for PS4 and mentions PC later.

If MS is still sticking to it's parity clause then it should not come to Xbox One. I don't know, did we have some new infos regarding the parity clause. Is it still a deal?
Would be stupid of MS to not have No Man's Sky on X1

Top Bottom