• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge magazine confirms that No Man's Sky will be a timed PS4 exclusive.

Honestly without that option I still feel the same way. Not being able to explore a universe with my friends in co-op pretty much makes this a non starter. I couldn't care less if we didn't run into random players often, but excluding my friends would break this.

Then this is not the game for you. The game they are making is more an isolated exploration game where encountering others is more of a special event. There might be a separate multiplayer mode where it's dog fights with others but that's not the core game.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I said it before and i say it again. Sony missed a great opportunity with this game they should have gave Hello Games some help with this game to increase its scale, contents and my most wanted feature Online play.
Hello Games are small indie studio they can't offered servers for Online MP Sony settling for the original vision of the team saddens me am sure they would want to reach news highs with their game if they have a proper funding and support by a major publisher.

Maybe they can add online on the XB1 since servers are free.

nynt9

If MS is still sticking to it's parity clause then it should not come to Xbox One. I don't know, did we have some new infos regarding the parity clause. Is it still a deal?
Would be stupid of MS to not have No Man's Sky on X1

They break the parity clause when games are popular enough, which just goes to show how inane the clause is to begin with.

Funny, when I think consoles, "solid framerate" and "immediate controls" are definitely not things I imagine. Analog sticks for looking around is definitely not an immediate control scheme, and most games suffer from frame drops on consoles. Sounds like a lame excuse.

Good to know it will be coming to PC as well, though I might double dip to get it on PS4 first if the game is good.

Mœbius

Really, really disappointing. They're a small team with quite an ambitious game, so I completely understand targeting one platform first - I don't really understand their reasoning, but I'm not going to hold it against them that they can't do a simultaneous release.
Umm....

Isn't No Man's Sky only a timed exclusive because the developers are so small that they don't have the resources to work on multiple versions at the same time? So people complaining about the "horrors of timed exclusivity" are desperately overreacting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I said it before and i say it again. Sony missed a great opportunity with this game they should have gave Hello Games some help with this game to increase its scale, contents and my most wanted feature Online play.
Hello Games are small indie studio they can't offered servers for Online MP Sony settling for the original vision of the team saddens me am sure they would want to reach news highs with their game if they have a proper funding and support by a major publisher.

It's not simply about servers... adding online with all the other variables in the mix here could complicate development significantly. Now, you could say that a larger team could address this challenge, but I'm not sure Hello Games want to suddenly expand their team if their vision as is can be achieved without doing that, and the risk it would entail.

As for the platform situation, this has been fairly evident for a while, even if it's explicit now. When it looked like a PS4 dev kit had pride of place on the lead programmers desk, and given his comments more recently about the suggested state of a PC build lagging the PS4 build, it was going to be pretty hopeful that a PC version would ship at the same time as PS4.

Xando

Probably the best for the game.
With 4 devs releasing on 3 plattforms simultaneous seems almost impossible.
Sucks for the Gamers though.

soqquatto

maybe the game you have in mind is not the game Hello Games has in mind. maybe they're doing exactly the game they want to do, also, I want to play their game, not the one you're thinking about. i guess they'll find more people like me as well.
problem solved.

Qassim

Why not both? When most of the big publishers are shying away from taking chances, why not reward developers for having the balls to make an interesting, ambitious game like this? If this is a huge success, it might just turn a few heads at ea/ubi etc.

You already stated that you'd pick it up for ps4 first, so why not pick it up for pc in a steam sale later down the line. There might even be a bunch of interesting mods by that point.

Unless I don't like the game, I probably will buy it for PC too. But I'll never be able to properly commit to it knowing there's a PC version coming and it may sound odd, that despite that, there are games that I want to try out as soon as they're out so I usually can't wait.

It was like that with GTAV - I didn't play the game as I normally would because I was waiting for the PC version.
Umm....

I don't understand the reasons they gave. Did you read the article?

driver116

Then this is not the game for you. The game they are making is more an isolated exploration game where encountering others is more of a special event. There might be a separate multiplayer mode where it's dog fights with others but that's not the core game.

Yeah this looks closer to Metroid Prime.

Ahzrei

Banned
I think the best news from this article was offline play. I don't want to share my universe.

Please god, let there be mod support.

RPGam3r

Probably the best for the game.
With 4 devs releasing on 3 plattforms simultaneous seems almost impossible.
Sucks for the Gamers though.

Does it suck for the gamers? Some gamers who own the platform won't think it sucks as they get a potentially more stable game. Other gamers who choose not to get that platform will still get the game and when they do it will potentially more stable too.

I'm sorry I have a hard time feeling bad for people who choose not to partake in a particular platform. Games are not required to be on every system, let alone all at the same time.

Sounds like Journey.

I absolutely loved that. Slowly walking around the universe and all of a sudden you hear this 'scream' from somewhere. You try to look for the other person and then you see him/her and just decide to experience the adventure with another.

After all that it is over and you made a new friend just out of a simple experience.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thought this was pretty much known due to the way they referred to it at E3. IIRC, it was stated that the PS4 will be the first console to get the game. Don't remember it being stated that it was a straight up exclusive.

Mœbius

I don't understand the reasons they gave. Did you read the article?
Yeah I did; did you read your own comment? You literally said you understand why they would focus on one platform due to team size, and then contradicted yourself in the same sentence saying you didn't understand their reasoning. They have stated team size as an issue before and it's raised in the wider article, along with the other reasons mentioned, which all loop back to focus; so unless I'm missing something (in which case I'm sorry) it seems pretty clear it's about focus.

I'm out.

Portugeezer

timed exclusivity to get exposure and marketing push plus fanboy support.

nothing of these would be possible on pc.

stable controls and framerate: let me laugh, the pc version will have all of these and better
I think maybe he means people use all types of shit controllers and have not so good pcs.

It was announced this way during their conference (console debut).
Probably a good thing to focus on one platform first if you're such a small studio. Game looked interesting, I will be there day 1!

well as long as its on pc i dont care. its hardly going to hog resources so my old pc should be fine. i doubt this game makes it over to x1, this is the titanfall scenario in reverse, maybe the sequel will come to x1

I thought this was known. The game itself was originally built for PC, and then Sony swooped in and said "this game looks amazing, here's a bag of momey. Please make sure this comes out on ps4 first."

If MS is still sticking to it's parity clause then it should not come to Xbox One. I don't know, did we have some new infos regarding the parity clause. Is it still a deal?

Yes. However it's being enforced on a case by case basis (Outlast and Contrast were recently released on the system). I'm certain this game will eventually come to the Xbox One.

Weird, I was sure there was going to be a Xbone version. Didn't expect any sort of exclusivity on this at all, Sony didn't mention anything during their E3 presentation.

jem0208

MS have been letting games through that clause on a case by case basis it appears. I wouldn't be surprised if this would be a case where it could come through.

That clause is still fucking stupid.

Percy

Banned
Weird, I was sure there was going to be a Xbone version. Didn't expect any sort of exclusivity on this at all, Sony didn't mention anything during their E3 presentation.

They did.

Not suprised. Hello Games and Sony have had a very close relationship due to the Joe Danger games.

Didn't the 360 version of Joe Danger get a shitload of free extra content that HG wouldn't release for the PS3 version for some reason? And wasn't Joe Danger 2 a 360 timed exclusive?

Doesn't seem like they had any closer a relationship to Sony than they did Microsoft (beyond the initial funding Sony provided that got JD made in the first place obviously).

edit: beat.

Ahzrei

Banned
I thought this was known. The game itself was originally built for PC, and then Sony swooped in and said "this game looks amazing, here's a bag of momey. Please make sure this comes out on ps4 first."

Well... they probably really needed that help after the flood.

The studio has chosen to lead on PS4. I'm sure I heard an interview with one of the devs where he said it was easier to develop for just one known hardware config, than the myriad permutations available on PC.

I must say I find some of the attitudes in this thread baffling: there seems to be an assumption that this kind of game should be released on PC first or simultaneously, why is this? It's OK for Elite to launch on PC first/only without accusations of moneyhatting. What's different?

Leb

This game is cool and these guys seem super passionate about their project, but I don't feel like they've been doing a particularly good job with messaging. I mean, I'm genuinely unclear on what he's trying to convey with that quote... console-y... what?

And more generally, I feel like they've been letting people's imaginations run a bit wild with respect to the possible scope and breadth of the game, with what's realistically possible with a small team of developers and where the limits of procedural content generation begin to be felt.

I was thinking it would have console timed exclusivity, I didn't think they would make PC gamers wait. Not that big of a deal though.

I'll be picking it up on PC. I only buy console games for exclusives.

I'm sure it'll happen, just Sony being Sony and keeping any details about Xbox getting a port completely dark. Just like Diablo 3, again.

I'm pretty sure MS has done that as well with Bioshock and other games... We know it's going to the Xbox One and PC, that's why the devs didn't ever rule them out and now we know it's for sure. So if Sony's keeping it in the dark, they're doing a pretty bad job because it's confirmed to be multiplat at some point.

Sure, it would be great to know when it'll be out on other platforms but we don't even have a date for the PS4 release other than the ever ambiguous "2015", and my gut tells me this monstrosity of a game might even be delayed to 2016. So we're not even sure when it's coming out on the system we know it's coming out first on.

Edit: Did I just do the first ever "MS too" comment?

Edit again: Nope.

EGOMON

Lop they are creating the game they want to make they dont want to make a mp game.
I can't be the only one wishing for the ability to explore NMS world with friends, there is nothing to comprise just adding the ability to play the game with friends a co-op mode.

Looool Well that's one way to port beg.
What?! I own a PS4 and i don't have gaming PC so what am exactly port-begging for?
please enlighten me

Maybe they can add online on the XB1 since servers are free.
As i said Sony could support them with free servers too, like what they do for their 1st party studio

It's not simply about servers... adding online with all the other variables in the mix here could complicate development significantly. Now, you could say that a larger team could address this challenge, but I'm not sure Hello Games want to suddenly expand their team if their vision as is can be achieved without doing that, and the risk it would entail.

As for the platform situation, this has been fairly evident for a while, even if it's explicit now. When it looked like a PS4 dev kit had pride of place on the lead programmers desk, and given his comments more recently about the suggested state of a PC build lagging the PS4 build, it was going to be pretty hopeful that a PC version would ship at the same time as PS4.
Fair enough i just can't help but feel that this game could be even better with bigger team and better funding the concept is amazing i am just afraid the content and the scale of the game will be limited by the size of the studio.

maybe the game you have in mind is not the game Hello Games has in mind. maybe they're doing exactly the game they want to do, also, I want to play their game, not the one you're thinking about. i guess they'll find more people like me as well.
problem solved.
I never said am not interested in their game am going to buy it day 1 i have been waiting for space exploration game forever and NMS is the closest one i was just being ambitious i guess

EGM1966

Can't seem to find it so I might be imaging it but I'm sure I remember a post E3 article that implied Sony was providing some funds to speed completion of the game in return for timed exclusivity (basically same as MS initial position for TitanFall).

PC I'm sure has always been a target for subsequent release and as I noted earlier I doubt Sony would even bother requiring timed exclusive if the title was never going to land on Xbix anyway so I'm pretty sure the devs did intend to offer it to MS at some point. If it's popular on PS4 then I'm sure they would release on Xbox later.

Most timed deals seem to be 12 months so is imagine it's something like that - of course if it does gangbusters on PS4 they might be tempted to offer a pure moneyhat for the game as MS subsequently did with TitanFall (although I get impression Sony has no interest in paying for full exclusivity and it strategically targeting timed exclusivity deals and exclusive content and/or timed DLC advantages).

Anyway short version I'm sure this will hit both PC and Xbox and if I had to guess is figure PC says 6 months after PS4 (or even sooner as I doubt Sony care about it being on PC so the lag might just be as long as it takes the devs to produce PC version) and say 12 months after PS4 on Xbox.

For the record I remain against timed exclusivity unless it's aligned to part funding or other genuine support and not a pure moneyhat and that goes for all platforms.

Top Bottom