EDGE Magazine - Issue 213 Scores

#1
Should be interesting :)

Alice in Wonderland - 7
Aliens vs Predator - 5
Battlefield Bad Company 2 - 8
BlazBlue - 8
Calling - 5
Final Fantasy XIII - 5
God of War 3 - 8
Infinite Space - 8
Just Cause 2 - 7
No More Heros 2 - 7
P.B. Winterbottom - 8
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - 7
White Knight Chronicles - 5
Yakuza (it means Japanese Mafia) 3 - 6
 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
#10
Yeah the only interesting score is the FFXIII 5/10 score, can anyone sum up why they gave it such a harsh number? I've been considering purchasing the game but all the negative impressions have left me feeling unsure about it.
 
#15
Snuggler said:
Yeah the only interesting score is the FFXIII 5/10 score, can anyone sum up why they gave it such a harsh number? I've been considering purchasing the game but all the negative impressions have left me feeling unsure about it.
Read it here...

Edge said:
FFXIII takes brave risks with the series’ foundations, but they ultimately create trembling fractures throughout the entire edifice, that robust battle system unable to support the weight of an entire world. Final Fantasy games are always an investment. This time, the returns are questionable.
As always, EDGE uses the FULL 10 point scale, and so their review is not even overly harsh on the game. They justify their opinion adequately (for a games journalist anyway).
 
#17
Mailenstein said:
Dunno which God of War 3 they've been playing. As for me it blew me away like no other game in a loooooooooong time.
/Pedant mode.

I am not even going to bother explaining how Edge rolls. At this point, it seems to be a waste of time for everyone involved.
 
#19
good to see Sakura Wars come out okay. There were some odd issues with bringing that game over. Like Sega not working directly with NISA, and not letting Red Entertainment work directly with NISA (at least, at the start).

It was the last game someone I know worked on. They put their heart and soul into it, even influencing some key decisions about character names and getting certain voice actors.
 
#21
lorddarkflare said:
/Pedant mode.

I am not even going to bother explaining how Edge rolls. At this point, it seems to be a waste of time for everyone involved.
JFYI, I'm buying the EDGE every month. I know their scores are half-worthy without reading the articles. So yes please, it will be a waste of time - thank you.
 
#22
AniHawk said:
good to see Sakura Wars come out okay. There were some odd issues with bringing that game over. Like Sega not working directly with NISA, and not letting Red Entertainment work directly with NISA (at least, at the start).
I don't see what this has to do with Final Fantasy XIII getting a 5.
 
#23
Amir0x said:
Read it here...



As always, EDGE uses the FULL 10 point scale, and so their review is not even overly harsh on the game. They justify their opinion adequately (for a games journalist anyway).
That seems like a well reasoned justification for their score. Always interesting to read thorough criticism.
 
#26
Was expecting a 9 for Bad Company 2 and God of War 3.

But this is EDGE after all, and looking back at my own post in that Mama Rattattouille thread about the way we would score games, i must say, i would probably agree with EDGE. Even if i absolutely love Bad Company 2.
 
#28
I wish these Edge threads would have quotes from the review so people can know what proper game journalism is instead of being reactionary because their current favorite game didn't get the usual 8-9 like every other game review usually hands out.
 

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
#30
Seriously, each of these threads should have a disclaimer in the OP with some explanations, one that could be copy-pasted and used for each EDGE-thread. I mean, people will still argue and all but maybe it'd be useful to some extent.
 
#33
Amir0x said:
I have to read their justification of that! That game was baaaaaad. *looks online*
Fortunately I ran out of money to willfully spend on bad games in hopes that I'd like them. Unfortunately I bought Heavy Rain anyway. Maybe if I bring it back in time I can put most of it towards 3D Dot Game Heroes.
 
#35
Amir0x said:
All I know is EDGE gave FFXII a 9/10, so I approve of their analysis of what is important in FF games.
The massive downgrade in story telling and voice acting alone should be enough to dock a few points. Next Final Fantasy by Yasumi Matsuno please!
 
#36
AniHawk said:
Fortunately I ran out of money to willfully spend on bad games in hopes that I'd like them. Unfortunately I bought Heavy Rain anyway. Maybe if I bring it back in time I can put most of it towards 3D Dot Game Heroes.
When does that come out anyway? I do want 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I got Heavy Rain as a gift but somehow I still felt like I wasted my own money.

Danielsan said:
The massive downgrade in story telling and voice acting alone should be enough to dock a few points. Next Final Fantasy by Yasumi Matsuno please!
I mean, even though FFXII's story was shit by the end, at least in the journey itself it was filled with incredible voice acting and a generally interesting setting and world direction.

FFXIII is filled with shit story and characters from the very start, with no one matching Basch or Balthier. I mean sure it's upfront with its shitty plot from the start, unlike FFXII which has pretenses of something better early on (and was probably ruined because Matsuno was given eye cancer for taking so long on the game), but it's still terrible.

But I expect the story to be bad. It's the rest of the trappings that did FFXIII in for me. :(
 
#37
I don't think any of the major sites have even bothered reviewing Alice in Wonderland.

It actually looks very nice..far better visually than your average Wii game. A shame nobody has given it any attention (obviously not hardcore enough for them).
 
#38
WrikaWrek said:
Was expecting a 9 for Bad Company 2 and God of War 3.

But this is EDGE after all, and looking back at my own post in that Mama Rattattouille thread about the way we would score games, i must say, i would probably agree with EDGE. Even i absolutely love Bad Company 2.
Yeah, I LOVE Bad Company 2, and it's still only an 8. I LOVED God Of War 2, and it's definitely only an 8 in my internal rating system. These scores - based on the games I've played - seem pretty appropriate, actually. (Aside from that AvP score: it's worse than a 5. Perhaps this is where people could argue the 'ZOMG BRITUSH DEV!' point for me?)
 
#42
WrikaWrek said:
Was expecting a 9 for Bad Company 2 and God of War 3.

But this is EDGE after all, and looking back at my own post in that Mama Rattattouille thread about the way we would score games, i must say, i would probably agree with EDGE. Even i absolutely love Bad Company 2.
Out of all the game mags i will say that EDGE usually nail it with their reviews. I usually go back weeks later and re read them. And pretty much without fail i would have to admit they were right.
 
#44
Amir0x said:
When does that come out anyway? I do want 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I got Heavy Rain as a gift but somehow I still felt like I wasted my own money.
May 11. It's $40.

May-June is stupidly stacked against my favor. 3D Dot Game Heroes, SMG2, Sin & Punishment 2, and Samus: The Anime Adventures in two months is pretty awesome in one way but totally sucks in another way.
 
#47
That is a pretty rad lineup (although I am still completely skeptical of the Metroid Other M game so I am not yet hyped for it. Much I've read on it seems bad).
 
#49
Amir0x said:
That is a pretty rad lineup (although I am still completely skeptical of the Metroid Other M game so I am not yet hyped for it. Much I've read on it seems bad).
Well it could have been a side scroller so.
 
#50
Dabanton said:
Out of all the game mags i will say that EDGE usually nail it with their reviews. I usually go back weeks later and re read them. And pretty much without fail i would have to admit they were right.
I think GamesTM is better then Edge in almost every way.