• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Zia

Buy it here: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/the-100-greatest-videogames/

Welcome to the 2017 edition of The 100 Greatest Videogames. If you’re not familiar with the format, here are our rules. In compiling this list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – portable, touchscreen, console, PC, whatever – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

Not all of the games featured here are new, however. In fact, some of the most invigorating parts of the curation process involved pulling out and replaying a number of the most seasoned titles from the Edge archives. Hopefully this much-argued-over collection will inspire you in the same way.

Previous list (2015): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117812

100. Super Hexagon
99. Her Story
98. Super Monkey Ball
97. Final Fantasy XII
96. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
95. Hyper Light Drifter
94. Katamari Damacy
93. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
92. Resogun
91. Puzzle Bobble
90. F-Zero GX
89. The Sims 3
88. R-Type Final
87. Elite: Dangerous
86. Bomberman
85. StarCraft II
84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition
83. BioShock
82. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
81. Puzzle & Dragons
80. Tearaway
79. League of Legends
78. Super Meat Boy
77. Xenoblade Chronicles
76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
75. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
74. Civilization IV
73. Battlefield 4
72. Metroid Prime
71. Hearthstone
70. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
69. Limbo
68. Towerfall Ascension
67. EarthBound
66. Batman: Arkham Knight
65. Transistor
64. Puyo Puyo
63. FTL: Advanced Edition
62: Persona 4 Golden
61. Mass Effect 2
60. Okami
59. The Stanley Parable
58. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
57. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
56. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
55. Far Cry 4
54. Titanfall 2
53. Doom (2016)
52. Trials Fusion
51. Nidhogg
50. Fez
49. Overwatch
48. Super Mario 3D World
47. Journey
46. Dead Space
45. Dota 2
44. Vanquish
43. Super Mario Maker
42. Fire Emblem Fates
41. Inside
40. Shadow of the Colossus
39. Halo 3
38. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
37. Spelunky
36. Destiny
35. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
34. Kerbal Space Program
33. Dishonored
32. Splatoon
31. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
30. Rock Band 3
29. The Last Guardian
28. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
27. Ico
26. Super Metroid
25. Demon's Souls
24. Horizon: Zero Dawn
23. Advance Wars
22. The Witness
21. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
20. Ultra Street Fighter IV
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
18. Rez Infinite
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
16. Super Mario World
15. Red Dead Redemption
14. Super Mario 64
13. Portal
12. Bayonetta 2
11. Minecraft
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Theres so much wrong with BOTW despite it being a good game.

edit: subpar rewards for exploration after midpoint, mixed ratio of good and bad shrines, poor dungeons, poor bosses, poor VA, poor story.

Mother 3 is absolutely phenomenal and should be top 10, and MGSV doesnt belong here despite its gameplay

Bayonetta 2 and Rez Infinite in the top 20 is good shit. Can't argue with the top 10. Happy to see Puyo Puyo made the list too.

The whole top 50 is solid as hell actually as far as listed games goes (not saying anything about exclusions or the ranks themselves, just I can't complain about any of the games being there).

Surprised Splatoon ranked and not 2 though, since MK8 Deluxe is there and not the original.

Batman Arkham Knight is the only inclusion that actually sticks out to me. The game's barely 2 years old but it already feels like its reputation has faded greatly compared to the first two.

Theres so much wrong with BOTW despite it being a good game.

You can say that about literally any game

Jblanks

Witcher 3 at 55 and Far Cry 4 at 54..haha alright.

Happy to see Horizon there though, probably a bit high though.

Destiny at 36 is pretty crazy also.

Ugh so much wrong with this list.
Arkham knight above sotn?
Tearaway above ff12?
Botw no1?
What the hell? Its a great game and possibly my goty but WHAT THE HECK the greatest game of all time?

Far cry 4 above witcher 3 LMAO

As always with these lists, I don't agree with the placement of some titles. I'm surprised The Witcher III isn't in the top-20 and that Horizon Zero Dawn placed higher than some all-time classics like Shadow of the Colossus, Super Metroid, and Demon's Souls.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't place Breath of the Wild at the #1 spot, but I know quite a few people consider it their favorite game of all time, so I understand it.

Edit: Wait, no Chrono Trigger? That's an interesting omission. I'm so used to seeing it on every top-whatever list.

Saven

Banned
Only one Final Fantasy and it's XII? LMFAO

Don't get me wrong, I like FFXII and it would be in my Top 50, but it wouldn't be in my Top 5 FF games, and that's the ONLY one worthy in Edge's Top 100? Come on.

silva1991

Yay The Last Guardian in top 30.

Bayonetta 2 is there and no sign of Bayonetta 1 is just wrong. Other than visuals and lack of some shitty QTEs, it's a big downgrade from the first one.

Great top 5 except for GTAV.

Mezoly

The top 5 has some recency bias imo. I'm not a nostalgic person at all and I think games are in a great place right now and I love all those games but the top 5 can't be all from the past 5-7 years.

Type_Raver

Hmm, not sure what to think of that. Happy for Zelda, but quite a number of absent SNES titles there too.

Galaxy 2 over Mario 64?!
These millennial raters...

Pudge

Half Life 2 before Tetris shows me that they need to go play Half Life 2 again.

This list is like "Top 100 Games You Remember in 2017"

Servbot24

Banned
Wow. Really good list. As with any list there are lots of things I'd change, but it's great to see Witness, F-Zero GX, Last Guardian, Demons Souls and others get their due.

Most glaring omissions are Mega Man X, Majora's Mask and Bloodborne.

Top Bottom