• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Wow. Really good list. As with any list there are lots of things I'd change, but it's great to see Witness, F-Zero GX, Last Guardian, Demons Souls and others get their due.

Most glaring omissions are Mega Man X, Majora's Mask and Bloodborne.

Check the top-5 again. : p

Servbot24

Banned
Wow. Really good list. As with any list there are lots of things I'd change, but it's great to see Witness, F-Zero GX, Last Guardian, Tearaway, Demons Souls and others get their due.

Most glaring omissions are Mega Man X and Bloodborne. Including things like Skyrim and Far Cry is downright embarrassing, lol.

Edit: sorry repeat posted instead of editing

This list makes me feel old. Too many new games. I feel like some of these are only on there because the were recently re-released. I mean I liked Vanquish, but I probably wouldn't have remembered it if I made a top 500 list if it hadn't just launched on PC.

These "all time" lists are just going to continue to get more ridiculous as time goes on. Of course Breath of the Wild is better than Chrono Trigger. It was made by a team with 10x the people for a system with orders of magnitude more computing power and with 20+ years of game design evolution behind it. It is simply absurd to compare games across eras like this.

These "all time" lists are just going to continue to get more ridiculous as time goes on. Of course Breath of the Wild is better than Chrono Trigger. It was made by a team with 10x the people for a system with orders of magnitude more computing power and with 20+ years of game design evolution behind it. It is simply absurd to compare games across eras like this.

Why call out BotW? They don't even have Chrono Trigger on the list. You should call out all 100 games then.

Oh jeez here we go!

It's a good list, but I strongly disagree with number 1. But hey, lists will be lists.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. The list as a whole is super dubious now that I've given it a proper look over.

Here are a few criticisms:

- R-Type Final over other better R-Type games?
- Arkham Knight over the other games?
- Are the first Puzzle Bobble, Bomerman and Puyo Puyo games really the best?

They chose Arkham Knight over Arkham City? C'mon lol. Yeah. Not my idea of a great list, but nothing to get overly angry about like some gamers will inevitably get...

At least they chose the right Persona game. Yukiko approves!

Servbot24

Banned
I don't see the problem with acknowledging that games improve over time.

Neptonic

I'm not going to argue the order, but all of those games except for one belong on that list

I'm lookin at you Arkham Knight

EDIT: Fuck some of these choices are good

DxD

Banned
My opinion doesn't line up with their opinion. Throw it in the bin!

Nah.
It isn't even about opinion.
Sometimes, an opinion can be so wrong that it is false. Like this list.

They don't even have Chrono Trigger or FF6/7 but they have FF12??!?!?!?
They don't even have Starcraft, but they have SC2??!?!?!?!?!
They don't even have WC3, but they have DoTA?!?!?!??!
They don't even have FFT, but they have Advance War?!?!?!?

They don't even have WoW, a genre that stole thousands of hours from millions of players for over a decade.
Even if the game wasn't their taste, it is a game that defined a whole generation due to its massive reach in mainstream.
Hell...Millions are still playing this MMO today...so yeah.

Squire

Banned
I stopped reading at Far Cry 4

Only one Final Fantasy and it's XII? LMFAO

Don't get me wrong, I like FFXII and it would be in my Top 50, but it wouldn't be in my Top 5 FF games, and that's the ONLY one worthy in Edge's Top 100? Come on.

FE Fates over Awakening is when I stopped reading. So much promise.

I like this list a lot and this is why. A lot of these choices aren't safe. It's awesome.

pablito

I've been a huge defender of FFXII over the years but no way is it the only one that should make a list.

Most of those games are good games. But...idk...the list is weird.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
All of the games on the list seem good, the stuff from the last few years seems insanely inflated due to recency bias, but other than that it's a good safe milquetoast mainstream list.

I could do better though.

Surprised for not seeing MGS, GT3, original Doom and lots of other games, then I saw this part:
Each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance
-------------
List isn't that bad. Happy to see a game like Arkham Knight too. But where are games like Uncharted 2, God of War 1or2(or3 for me!), Gears of War and ...? We have 100 games and they're not in the list?!

Servbot24

Banned
Nah.

They got that part right :)

They don't even have WoW, a genre that stole thousands of hours from millions of players for over a decade.
Even if the game wasn't their taste, it is a game that defined a whole generation due to its massive reach in mainstream.

The whole point of lists is an expression of taste. Otherwise you might as well make a best sellers list or copy-paste a metacritic list

Sotha_Sil

I usually hate myself for reading these threads, but good god my taste is completely incompatible with this list! One of these days I should make a list like this just to see it get torn to shreds by GAF lol.

Dishonored got some credit, that's about all I can say positively about it.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Bloodborne....

giphy.gif

I'll take it with some pain...

DxD

Banned
Advance Wars is better than FFT if you ask me. It's a brilliant Strategy game.

Are you serious?
AW has zero story, and just a number game.
How is it a brilliant strategy game?
It is marketed toward kids because the game mechanics are basically just rock/paper/scissors.
Couldn't even remember if the game was hard or not.
All I remember was spamming missiles and going in with tanks.

They got that part right :)

The whole point of lists is an expression of taste. Otherwise you might as well make a best sellers list or copy-paste a metacritic list

Why did they put BOTW first then? The 10/10 scores aren't deserving of this game, and this is coming from a Zelda fan.
The zones are lacking with nothing to do, but forcing you to explore with barely any rewards.
The battle system is boring and simple.
The story...there is a story?

I have an issue with Street Fighter II not being on that list. There's probably other games too, if I really thought about it.

silva1991

I don't usually like to say that one's opinion is wrong, but Tearway is in the list, but not Crash Bandicoot? I think we can all agree that Crash is a better platformer than Tearway.

Tearaway on that list but no Gravity Rush......okay?

I was gonna say that, but then I remembered that they gave GR2 a 6 ut of 10 iirc. They really don't like this franchise.

Seems like a pretty standard list with a few odd choices here and there. I can see how BotW would be #1 to some, it's not to me but I can definitely see how. Hopefully the thread isn't entirely people just whining about that, it's an opinion guys, you're no better than the people who acted like children when Jim gave the game a 7.

Are you serious?
It is marketed toward kids because the game mechanics are basically just rock/paper/scissors.

And those mechanics and the game's conveyance of those mechanics and scenario designs are incredibly strong. There's a reason why people here want Advance Wars. There's almost nothing like it outside the Wars games themselves.

massoluk

Banned
Are you serious?
I didn't think FFT was a GOAT matetial game. I restarted that game three time because the level scaling and unbeatable scenarios.

Opinions and all that yadda yadda....... but seriously Breath of the Wild, while a good game, does not deserve to be listed as the greatest of all time. I can't get behind their reasoning.

I'm curious how this affected some of the omitted titles that you'd expect on these sorts of lists:

... each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

They note that some titles were replayed as part of their curation process.

Are you serious?
Couldn't even remember if the game was hard or not.
All I remember was spamming missiles and going in with tanks.

It makes it hard to take your post seriously when you try your best to sound like you have no idea wtf you're talking about. Oh and every strategy game has a variant of rock paper scissors, whether it's unit types, elements, weapons, etc

Opinions and all that yadda yadda....... but seriously Breath of the Wild, while a good game, does not deserve to be listed as the greatest of all time. I can't get behind their reasoning.

It does deserve being number 1 regardless if you don't think so. Many think it's amazing and one of the best games ever.

Kyoufu

Nah.

They don't even have Starcraft, but they have SC2??!?!?!?!?!
They don't even have WC3, but they have DoTA?!?!?!??!
They don't even have FFT, but they have Advance War?!?!?!?

Why would I list World of Warcraft in my list of best video games if I don't care for the game? Because other people enjoyed it? Okay. That's not a valid reason. Because it has historic significance? That's not a valid reason either and if you read the OP you'd know why.

How dare they have FF12, a game that has been praised very highly by Edge since 2006 over those other games! At the end of the day, it's based on opinions and nothing more.

Top Bottom