• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Zukkoyaki

I like it when an outlet isn't afraid to include more recent games in their all-time lists. Too often I feel older games get the nod or benefit of the doubt simply because they're old (not denying that a classic is a classic).

Zia

What happened to Drop7? Was #24 on the previous list, but nowhere to be found now.

Yeah, that and LittleBigPlanet 3 (which was far and away my least favorite of the mainline LBP games) both had very high placements last time around and dropped off completely this go.

As for the magazine, it's a beautiful edition and the new essays for games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Rez Infinite are great. However...

... overall it feels a bit phoned in for an Edge list. It's like the back half was barely touched, they do little to rationalize now outdated choices over superior sequels, the online MP games listed are basically whatever the editors are playing, there's a slew of outdated essays and a few games are obviously head scratchers (who is playing Rock Band 3 in 2017? why is R-Type Final the only SHMUP on the list when it wouldn't land on any serious all-time SHMUP list?). Was super excited when this was announced but now I understand why it received so little fanfare from Edge themselves. Kind of cynical at $27 shipped to the United States.

But, I mean, at least Breath of the Wild is at the top because it's the best video game.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Maaaaaan.

The fuck is sands of time doing all the way up there?

LotusHD

Banned
I like it when an outlet isn't afraid to include more recent games in their all-time lists. Too often I feel older games get the nod or benefit of the doubt simply because they're old (not denying that a classic is a classic).

Because this is definitely the case for a lot of em. So I won't lie, I always find it hilarious reading the reactions from people when they realize that some of those games got snubbed.

I-hate-u

Bloodborne should swap with Dark Souls. Or maybe not. No on a second thought it's more consistent quality-wise, but wait Dks is such a varied iconic masterpiece game.

GAHHHHH THIS IS SO HARD COMPARING THE two.
There's no place for GTAV in that top 5 tho...

SpiceRacz

98. Super Monkey Ball

96. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

88. R-Type Final

84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition

79. League of Legends

78. Super Meat Boy

76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast

48. Super Mario 3D World

22. The Witness

8. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Solid choices.

Totally serious question:

Do most people still consider The Last of Us a top-5 GOAT?

I certainly do. It's even better now after getting the remaster treatment. That being said, my top-20 is always shifting, even if slightly, so it could be anywhere at any point in time.

Weird that Galaxy 1 isn't even on the list despite 2 being #8, guess they didn't want an extra spot taken up for a game that's pretty similar.

One of their criteria was

we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels

So it was basically one or the other when it came to the Galaxies. I guess they could make the argument 64 and 3D World aren't "straight-up sequels" to each other and that's why they got in, but Galaxy 1 and 2, yeah it's a lot more clear-cut.

I thought that EDGE was in love with LittleBigPlanet. I'm surprised that it didn't end up on their list.

Don't really have much love or hate for this list. It's just kind of weird with the huge emphasis on recent games.

DxD

Banned
It makes it hard to take your post seriously when you try your best to sound like you have no idea wtf you're talking about. Oh and every strategy game has a variant of rock paper scissors, whether it's unit types, elements, weapons, etc

But was I right about spamming missiles and tanks though?
I remember as a kid, it was just the same scenario over and over again.
Attack from range to reduce #, move your counter unit over to win.

It's certainly a more modern list. Can't say I agree with most of those games being up there instead of classics like Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy Tactics.

My favorite game didn't make the list.

Probably because it practically bombed and they never played it. Oh well, Fates over Awakening I'll take. Although higher then Metroid Prime? Don't think so.

Dams good games on the list tho

Regiruler

I didn't think edge of all places would think that highly of breath of the wild.

Also I've seen the pure awesomeness that is soldier blade and I will question any list that doesn't include it

b3b0p

Hmm, 100 games better than OG Mario 3 and some of the other decisions seem strange. Oh well, it's an opinion of Edge. Nothing against their own decision. I have my own.

I would love to read this though. Reading others opinions for lists like this can be enlightening and fun.

Van Bur3n

Ctrl+F "New Vegas"

Absolutely disgusting. I'm seeing shit like Super Hexagon, Hyper Light Drifter, Titanfall 2, Far Cry 4, Destiny, and some weeb shit on this fucking list but not Fallout New Vegas? Gives me conniptions.

Ctrl+F "Fallout"

My fucking god there isn't even a Fallout game on here. This list is literally ass. Whoever made this list is wrong. Objectively so. I confirmed this. Creator(s) of this list, you disgust me.

56. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

My god. Someone burn this magazine. One of the worst lists I've ever witnessed. Edge you're terrible. You even give the WWE superstar a bad name and there isn't even a correlation.

ApharmdX

Banned
I love the list and Dark Souls at 2 is entirely appropriate, but BotW at #1? No way. The game has too many flaws dragging it down despite its greatness.

Totally serious question:

Do most people still consider The Last of Us a top-5 GOAT?

Absolutely. One of the most impactful games that I have ever played.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also I don't care what anybody says but both Catherine, Nier/Nier Automata and Nocturne should have been on that list. Im guessing Edge like those games either.

Koopatrol

Glad to see Super Meat Boy and The Last Guardian on there.

No Nier: Automata tho :/

I would personally put RDR ahead of GTA V.

Top Bottom