• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

88random

Skyrim has no business being top 50 on any list, especially not above Witcher 3.
And no Chrono Trigger kinda makes this list irrelevant.

Oneself

So, that's their top 100, it's pretty good and after reading it, I'm fine with it not being my top 100.

It's so easy to criticize and disagree but honestly, not a single person in the world has the exact same top 100 as yours.

Neith

Banned
People are more and more waking up to Skyrim slipping year after year. It did have some innovation that came with it in certain places, but as a game it's going to drop further and further from the list. Ocarina on the 64 is not a good game anymore to me, but Ocarina can also be remade into a great game with a modern engine because it has an awesome foundation. 3DS is better, but I don't think Ocarina deserves to be that high anymore based on only innovation alone. Skyrim is just so inherently flawed without mods that I don't think it can be saved. Even with mods that engine is just uhg.

But it's still a pretty landmark title that holds up better than Oblivion ever will so I guess that is your choice. Bethesda games have aged absolutely terribly IMHO.

I like how contemporare the list is, but there is a distinct lack of JRPGs.

The highest is advanced wars, someone there clearly loves that game.

Dubz

SFIV at 20...fuck yeah. The lack of sports games (sim and arcade) is troubling. NHL 94, Rocket League, NBA Jam, and Blitz were robbed.

Neith

Banned
FarCry 4 above Witcher 3??

Yeah, whatever Edge. Put down the crack pipe.

I like Far Cry 4, and it is overall more polished and better than 3 despite being very much the same, but yeah they have a crack pipe and they are smoking the real crack over there.

What else could explain the lack of shmups or platformers I have not a clue. Way too much neeeeeew new shit.

The absence of stuff like Ori, Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Island, and others like Thunder Force IV or Ikaruga or any other shmup really is just perplexing to me.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
BotW be like:

BokoblinBaseball.gif

275 hours and this is the first time I've seen or thought about this technique. The best of all time.

The only games on this list I'm really puzzled about are Far Cry 4 and Batman: Arkham Knight. I think both are examples of modern gaming overhyped mediocrity with a reasonable level of fun, but neither deserve to be anywhere near a list of the 100 best games. In both cases, their predecessors are far more deserving (FC3 and Arkham Asylum or City).

Also, I really love Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'm not sure it deserves to be so high on a list like this.

Something slightly annoying about a British game magazine putting Katamari Damacy on the list, a game which europeans still haven't had the chance to play.

The only games on this list I'm really puzzled about are Far Cry 4 and Batman: Arkham Knight. I think both are examples of modern gaming overhyped mediocrity with a reasonable level of fun, but neither deserve to be anywhere near a list of the 100 best games. In both cases, their predecessors are far more deserving (FC3 and Arkham Asylum or City).

Also, I really love Horizon Zero Dawn, but I'm not sure it deserves to be so high on a list like this.

To be honest tis what irks me about the list as well, or an attitude prevalent in all these journo lists. Basically, they treat games like home electronics or appliances, not stand-alone works. You want to be a Batman? Well, Arkham Knight is the latest, thus it means it is the best! Want to an open world Skinner box shooter? Here's Far Cry 4, the latest, thus the best! It betrays a very simplistic and uninterested mindset to actually evaluate these games. Yeah, maybe FC4 and Arkham Knight are the biggest and have most stuff to do out of all the other entries, but does it matter if like in the case of Arkham Knight, you have shitty bloated vehicular sections? Not to mention each game still has its own identity, setting and soul even in the most iterative AAA franchises.

groansey

Didn't spot MGSV at 19.

It's not even one of the top 5 games IN THAT FRANCHISE.

(MGS > MGS3 > MGS2 > MGS4 > Take your pick Twin Snakes or Ground Zeroes)

I was wondering whether Breath of the Wild would be ranked #1 and I'm completely fine with that. Would personally make my top 3 of all time as well. They have also same top 4 Zelda games as myself just in slightly different order. Happy to see Bloodborne and The Last of Us close to the top as well since they're in my top 3 games of the decade along with Breath of the Wild.

I do have issues with this list mainly with so many new games included and many ranked near the top as well and almost complete lack of adventure games.

Batman Arkham Knight is the only inclusion that actually sticks out to me. The game's barely 2 years old but it already feels like its reputation has faded greatly compared to the first two.

Definitely agree with this one. Despite it being a good game it's inferior to the other two and doesn't seem to have nearly as much replay value. At least to me.

Genio88

I agree Breath of the Wild, but Dark Souls and Bloodborne higher than Half Life 2? lol
Ok it's just a personal list which is worth nothing...but come on

EDGE is a great gaming magazine, but the list is laughable.

Fixed that for you.

I always amazes me that Edge is held in such high regard.

Sure the vocabulary it uses is richer than most other gaming magazines but that doesn't mean the opinions expressed there should carry more weight than other publications.

It comes across that Edge pretty much thinks its printed opinion about games are more important the games themselves. They believe the hype all far too often and have gotten things spectacularly wrong in some cases.

I wonder how Mario Galaxy 2 gets once again ranked above the first. Both are great games of course but I personally thought first one was more original with a deeper and more poignant back story and not forgetting a better soundtrack.

Paragon

Have they said that this list was put in any particular order? It reads like something which was largely sorted by number of votes instead of ranked. It seems like a very strange list overall, with unusual inclusions and omissions - even based on the tastes demonstrated by it.
It gives the impression that the staff writing the list is young, or staff which largely - though not entirely - dismisses older games by the notion that any love for them must be nostalgia rather than entertaining the possibility that they may still hold up today. Leaves me wondering if many of the glaring PC omissions are due to one or both of those reasons, or just a general console focus.
I don't want to try and pick the whole thing apart since it's their list and not mine, but nothing from the Deus Ex series makes the list at all? Bioshock is their pick for a Shock game?

Greedings

20. Ultra Street Fighter IV
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
18. Rez Infinite
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
16. Super Mario World
15. Red Dead Redemption
14. Super Mario 64
13. Portal
12. Bayonetta 2
11. Minecraft
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Fucking yes. MGSV in the top 20. I can get behind this list. Someone at Edge understand video games.

Horizon being on this list at all is incredibly embarrassing for everyone

Horizon is one that stands out to me as well. (Along with handful of others) I haven't finished it yet and it's without a doubt visually impressive game with some likable characters and at least partly compelling plot but I'm just having a hard time getting into the world and gameplay. The gameplay feels like a less responding version of the new Tomb Raider games and the world doesn't really feel alive or interesting. Also most of the machine creature enemies feel boring and impersonal at least so far. Well it's still a good game overall and has a great main character and I might like it more when I actually finish it.

King_Moc

Banned
I agree Breath of the Wild, but Dark Souls and Bloodborne higher than Half Life 2? lol
Ok it's just a personal list which is worth nothing...but come on

Why are you acting like that's a ridiculous opinion to have? I used to love Half Life 2 back in 2004, but now, in 2017, those two games are far better.

I know these "game x should have been included" -posts are pointless, but I still feel I must point out how odd they didn't include a single classic point and click adventure. Games like the first two Monkey Island games, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis , Gabriel Knight and so on.

Botw is goty and one of my favorite games of all time, so I agree with number one. MGSV should be higher and The Last of Us is overrated and should be lower in this list.

ec0ec0

It's worth mentioning that if this is like the last times Edge did a compilation book like this for the 100 greatest games, only one game per "series" is allowed in. Which is why you see FFXII alone.

"Series" being loosely defined - for example Mario World made it in in 2007 over Mario Bros or Mario Bros 3, but Yoshi's Island also made it in due to it being different enough despite technically being a 2D Mario game.

so, they are basically saying that, even though if you asked them in person they would tell you that super mario bros 3 is absolutely better than a big portion of this list, they are not going to put it on the actual list, just because super mario word is already there. Therefore, they are making a list of the best possible games someone can play, without bringing super mario bros 3 to their reader's attention, just because?

makes sense (sarcasm).

(super mario bros 3 just acts as an example here, as this would aply to plenty of other "classics")

moomoo14

It's an ok list, in terms of the games on it and not looking at placement. But the absence of Chrono Trigger is really weird. It's one of those games that really has to be there and generally always is there.

ec0ec0

woooooah there let's not go crazy. Top 5 though, I'll give it that.

Which are these so called gamecube masterpieces, that are better than F-Zero GX?

Melee is easily better (feels infinitely better to play than the newer entries in the smash bros series. Easily the best nintendo local casual multiplayer game that also, somehow, ended up being an extremely unique and godlike competitive platform fighting game).

which are the others?

(i'm obviously aware of the other gamecube classics than you can bring up, but i'm still interested in your opinion)

MTC100

Banned
I accept this. Breath of the Wild brought me back to video games. It's fucking magic. Stop nitpicking.

Agreed. Marvelous game it also leads my best of all time list. I can't put numbers on the other games I have in it though, it's too hard, I only know that BOTW belongs at the top, with a lot of great games followed by it: Deus Ex, Goldeneye007, Majoras Mask, Bloodborne, Valkyria Chronicles, SMB 3, SMW2, Megaman X, FFX, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Half Life1, DKC2, Meteos, The Last of Us, Outcast, System Shock 2, Freespace 2, Super Metroid, GTA V, Metroid Prime, Starlancer, Max Payne 1+2, Alan Wake -and many more, I wouldn't put Dark Souls in it though, I hated the game, Bloodborne on the other hand was a Masterpiece.

Top Bottom