• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Musiol

http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...erences-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/

PlayStation 4 is currently around 50 per cent faster than its rival Xbox One. Multiple high-level game development sources have described the difference in performance between the consoles as “significant” and “obvious.”

Our contacts have told us that memory reads on PS4 are 40-50 per cent quicker than Xbox One, and its ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is around 50 per cent faster. One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One. “Xbox One is weaker and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM,” concluded one developer.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and, having recently upped the clock speed of Xbox One, is working hard to close the gap on PS4, though one developer we spoke to downplayed the move. “The clock speed update is not significant, it does not change things that much,” he said. “Of course, something is better than nothing.”

More at the source.

close if old

V_Ben

Banned
Feels like we've seen a lot of these articles, but this one does go pretty in depth on the whole thing. Lots of sources confirming stuff.

Nozem

I'm somehow addicted to reading these console wars threads.

Good thing there are so fucking many of them.

One basic example we were given suggested that without optimisation for either console, a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One.
Holy shit that would be a massive gap.

PureGone

Banned
Come one Major Nelson, come here and tell us how all the devs are wrong and there's no difference in power between both consoles.

goomba

Banned
Proof is in the pudding. PS3 was supposed to make 360 look like Xbox 1.5.

We all know how that turned out

Xater

and it’s a pain to use its ESRAM,

Why the hell did MS go for such a solution then? PS3 already showed that developers hate working around not straight forward architecture.

SoundLad

That is a jarring difference between the two consoles.
I guess multiplats are going to be developed for the lowest common denominator so they will run equally well on both systems with a chance of PS4 running them better?

Another story for the exclusives.

SnakeNL

El7VNA0.png

Has either Penello or Major come back to refute this further on NeoGAF or have they realized we use critical thinking and can't be bullshitted?

Chobel

EDGE article said:
One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.

The difference is this much?

Perkel

Banned
a platform-agnostic development build can run at around 30FPS in 1920×1080 on PS4, but it’ll run at “20-something” FPS in 1600×900 on Xbox One.

I fucking predicted it, same as Wii U reception by devs after consoles had their specs leaked.

+ 2 to fame, +2 to Insight, - 1 to Humble,

CLEEK

A lot of bombshells dropped in that Edge article.

As well as confirming the performance gulf between the two consoles, the big one for me was the confirmation MS will be pissed at publishers if they don't gimp the PS4 versions so they're the same as the Xbone. Something that has long been suggested on GAF, but without actual sources confirming it.

One source even suggested that enforcing parity across consoles could become a political issue between platform holders, developers and publishers. They said that it could damage perceptions of a cross platform title, not to mention Xbox One, if the PS4 version shipped with an obviously superior resolution and framerate; better to “castrate” the PS4 version and release near-identical games to avoid ruffling any feathers.

Hoo-doo

Banned
These are harsh words coming from EDGE.

Reassuring to know though that i'll probably end up with the superior version of pretty much all multiplats though, as a future PS4 owner first and foremost.

I am still rather salty at the way some PS3 multiplats were treated this generation. Seems that the performance gap is even larger this time around.

jsnepo

Why the hell did MS go for such a solution then? PS3 already showed that developers hate working around not straight forward architecture.

They need 8GB RAM and went with slow DD3. ESRAM is supposed to compensate for that. Sony initially was going for 4GB gDDR5 but since prices have dropped, they went with 8GB. Luck was on Sony's side.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They mentioned the power of the cloud... Edge, please. Microsoft's PR stunt didn't really stick on the wall, but at least if left some stains.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I guess my next gen console is going to be a PS4 then...

Honestly MS. Why did you go so cheap and fuck it up. The person(s) who decided to not go for high end graphics should be fired.

AutumnRay

Banned
I'm somehow addicted to reading these console wars threads.

Good thing there are so fucking many of them.

Holy shit that would be a massive gap.

Holy shitballs in right.

To be frank people are delusional who think that there is going to be no difference. There will be and over time it will look more than 360vs ps3 imo. But that kind of difference is more than I was thinking.

SpokkX

Ouch att that FPS and resolution difference :(

Xbox consoles has been synonymous with better multiplattform performance and that has been the main reason 360 was my main console last gen.

This could be the first Xbox system that I actually skip completely. Unless Microsoft releases som first party stuff that is really "must have".

Sadly I do not see this happening with Rare being a Kinect developer and Halo, Fable and Gears run into the ground imo

goomba

Banned
I guess my next gen console is going to be a PS4 then...

Honestly MS. Why did you go so cheap and fuck it up. The person(s) who decided to not go for high end graphics should be fired.

Because the most powerful console always has the best games and outsells the competition....Oh wait that never happens.

Top Bottom