• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Resident Evil Revelations’ HD re-release is doomed to fail."

That tag line in the subject matter is from facebook.

jyFIpQQk8RLgI.JPG

http://www.edge-online.com/features/still-playing-resident-evil-revelations/

That said, I do wonder whether the game’s appearance on HD consoles in May is such a wise idea. It’s easy to see the appeal from Capcom’s perspective: Revelations wasn’t a big hit, and an HD update represents a relatively cheap way of boosting sales while simultaneously demonstrating to those left disappointed by Resident Evil 6 that the franchise hasn’t entirely lost its capacity to scare. But at the same time, Revelations feels like the perfect marriage of form and format, its narrative delivered in the kind of bite-sized morsels that make sense on a handheld, but less so on the big screen. Anime scribe Dai Sato introduces plot twists at a rate that shows the title is fully justified, but console players accustomed to lengthier play sessions may be left with a nasty case of narrative whiplash.

Beyond that, the confines of a smaller screen are precisely what make the Zenobia feel so troublingly claustrophobic. Its enemies may be relatively few in number, but they’re big enough to fill the 3DS’s three-and-a-half inch display, while the illusion of distance provided by the stereoscopic effect induces gasps on the occasions that enemies close that gap. The loss of depth will likely be keenly felt, and I have my doubts that the lumbering atrocities that patrol the Zenobia will punch with a similar weight when their surroundings are expanded to fill a 40-inch screen

It remains to be seen, of course, just what the promised new content comprises, but I sense anything other than a wholesale reinvention may be doomed to failure. Perhaps Capcom should simply leave Revelations in its natural environment on 3DS and release its worryingly compulsive bonus mode as a standalone score-attack title on the download services. Raid mode – Resi 4’s The Mercenaries in all but name – is a terrific addition to Revelations that shows that Resident Evil needn’t abandon its action focus completely. But if Capcom is to welcome us back to the world of survival horror, it needs to understand why the Zenobia sets the pulse racing in a way the series hasn’t since Mikami’s departure.

By all logic it can't 'fail' due to how its being produced.
Anyway it'll be just as well paced on a big screen as a small screen.

lol what.

I don't really expect them to have played the game but maybe am being rather unfair. Just anyone who had would frame it from their experience with the game.

This could have been written by anyone who'd caught a quick preview at E3 and I suspect it was.

More likely just a poor article with an over the top article though.

Ricker

I see no problems if they sell it for 39 bucks let's say...and personnaly,I felt the opposite of what the guy says in the article...I didn't like the feel of a RE on a handheld,the controls where awful for when there was a lot of action on screen and you had to run all over the place(section where I kept dying and just gave up on it)....

Xater

That 3D part of the argument is especially dumb. I don't think I played it in 3D after an hour. The game will work fine on the big screen. Nothing about he 3DS version is unique. The only problem the game has is the pricing.

Sintoid

The only reason I can see for this remake to fail is the little hype being produced from publisher due to lack of time. Each game must be well pumped with videos, viral and each marketing campaing you can in order to be a million seller. Revelations will be out soon, probably no one of the common PS360PC users will be aware of it...

That 3D part of the argument is especially dumb. I don't think I played it in 3D after an hour. The game will work fine on the big screen. Nothing about he 3DS version is unique. The only problem the game has is the pricing.

I actually think the 3D is brilliant in the game and adds to the atmosphere.
Adds little to enemy encounters though so I suspect the HD will help here.

If there isn't enough work put in though I could see it fall behind what the 3D brought.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I love it when EDGE regurgitates shit like this:

Beyond that, the confines of a smaller screen are precisely what make the Zenobia feel so troublingly claustrophobic.

Games can only feel claustrophobic on tiny screens. Experience diminished on 3DSXL. Ideally should have released on GBA Micro.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How much do you guys think its goig to be - even with the reworked release. $25?
I think it has been confirmed at 50$. Which is really the only reason the author should have listed.

Yo Edge, when the screen gets bigger so do the monsters, y'know.
Nah, the FOV will be expanded so that characters are 2 inches tall on your screen, same as the 3DS version. Strange choice, really.

meta4

Its coming in May? Who the hell is going to get this over TLOU especially since this is so expensive.?

grumpy

I feel that RE5 and especially RE6 have tarnished the franchise so much that people are not going to give this game the chance it deserves. They should have waited a while for 6 to fade out of people's memories first.

Its coming in May? Who the hell is going to get this over TLOU especially since this is so expensive.?

People without a PS3 or who want both or just not TLOU I presume.
We had Assassin's Creed/COD/Halo launch in the same holiday; am sure it'll manage to take on a single platform new IP release.

Would be nice if the PS3 version ran in 3D. I'd maybe pay the full price if it did.

Will probably wait for $20 bomba bin though. Haven't been interested in a Resi game for a long time but I kept hearing good things about Revelations from my friends.

The Last of Us will rule horror games this summer though.

The title will also be available to download digitally from the same dates on PlayStation®3 for €49.99 and Windows®PC for €39.99 wit

um, fuck you. Not paying this much.

Yeah, edge missed the point on why this will fail... its not that it a 3DS game. Its that they want that much money for it.

Mafro

Me since I'm not really interested in any more Naughty Dog games after Uncharted 3 and I absolutely loved Revelations on 3DS.

Shantom

I love Edge's quality of writing but it seems they've put no research at all into some of their articles recently.

Sadist

Kind of weird for EDGE being so appreciative of Revelations; it received a six out of ten last year from one of their staff. It's a pretty different opinion if I remember the review right.

Oh well.

Am really not sure why people are so shocked at the price. Its as full priced game; its not exactly 5 hours of content and its being released for the first time on HD systems.

It'll come down in price quite sharply unless no one has noticed how games retail works these days. Which I assume is the main reason of the release, to take the place of the long term RE6 sales that have now died.

May is a good place to launch. It'll be the most recent game available on all platforms for a good few months.

Edge i'm sorry, but you are wrong. It might sell more than RE6, I mean. I have no interest in RE6. But fully plan on purchasing this. And I know i'm not alone.

I predict critics will be harsh on the title though.

For fuck sake, what is with all these "but but the horror will be lost!!" comments from developers and journos alike?

The game was not scary at all. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain in this remaster.

v1oz

I love it when EDGE regurgitates shit like this:

Games can only feel claustrophobic on tiny screens. Experience diminished on 3DSXL. Ideally should have released on GBA Micro.
That's not what he said. He didn't say "games can only feel claustrophobic" on small screens.

What he meant is that the small screen adds to the tension. The 3DSXL is by no means a large screen.

Mithos

Edge i'm sorry, but you are wrong. It might sell more than RE6, I mean. I have no interest in RE6. But fully plan on purchasing this. And I know i'm not alone.

+1 on this, and I really HOPE it beats RE6 in sales because RE6 was something I don't want to be the future of RE series.

Drencrom

Its enemies may be relatively few in number, but they’re big enough to fill the 3DS’s three-and-a-half inch display, while the illusion of distance provided by the stereoscopic effect induces gasps on the occasions that enemies close that gap. The loss of depth will likely be keenly felt, and I have my doubts that the lumbering atrocities that patrol the Zenobia will punch with a similar weight when their surroundings are expanded to fill a 40-inch screen

This shit doesn't make any sense

dab0ne

Why didn't they do a Resi 4 HD port to the vita? You wouldn't even have to do anything to it. Don't even add touch controls. JUST GIVE ME RESI 4 HD VITA!!!!!!

Top Bottom