• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores for October issue...

F#A#Oo

Banned
I didn't include info on Lost Winds sequel as I didn't think people would be interested in it.

I'll type up some snippets later.

And this is what we're calling the "Win Visor", which shows you where opponents are and what their armed with using garish red and blues, really necessary?
And this is what we call "proofreading", which means reading a proof copy of a text in order to detect and correct any errors, really necessary?

EDIT:
F#A#Oo said:
I typed out the ENTIRE review... ;)
I hope it was just a fault on your end then.

Gilgamesh

Nuclear Muffin said:
Err, shouldn't it be + 1 if made in the UK - 2 for everyone else? I thought it was a positive bias for British made games :lol
No, because if they overrate a British game you'll need to subtract and if they underrate any other you'll need to add to get the actual score.

sneaky77

Gilgamesh said:
There's a demo.

yea, and I played that.. that's hardly enough to decide wether the review is accurate or not.. I was just asking cause I would like to know his impressions and how they are different

Gomu Gomu

Graphics Horse said:
That was how to 'correct' Edge's scores. He probably didn't realise Batman was made in London.

The exception that proves the rule.
I was just kidding anyway :lol

very surprised at IL-2. I heard Anthony G. talking about it on podcasts the last couple of weeks and it was supposedly brutally hard.

http://tinyurl.com/lss4qw
The game has a season changing mechanic. Allows "Toku to flip between summer and winter at crucial moments."
Skills now include swimming, creating cyclones (which can do anything from drilling throuugh rocks to scooping up water)
New in game map
In game hint system.
They were pleased with the original but have tons of new ideas to still use.
haha ur not cool enough to be linked to by us, N Europe!

Man, IL-2 seems like a good game and all... but it's set in WW2. I am so fucking tired of WW2 that I hope every single game set in it from now until the end of time bombs miserably.

Anyway, nice to see EDF getting some love. I want my sequel with online co-op please. I'll buy three copies.

AniHawk

LW2 sounds kinda not what I like. I still have bad memories from Oracle of Seasons and every swimming level ever.

SolidSnakex said:
What do they say about Blue Toad Murder Files? There's supposed to be a preview in this issue (it'll be the first time the game has been shown).

came in the thread about to ask this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I agree with the Batman score and snippet. I think Detective Mode can really ruin the fun so I try to not use it unless the game forces you to.

upandaway

AniHawk said:
LW2 sounds kinda not what I like. I still have bad memories from Oracle of Seasons and every swimming level ever.
I liked the season changing in the Oracles. The only thing I hated was like how later in the game you'll be like, "shit, how the fuck do I reach that ledge" and then you randomly go to a tree 10 screens away, change to winter, and whoops suddenly there's convenient snow stairs.

I don't know what they could possibly do with LW though, it'll be pretty much "stuck? change season, solved" just like how 3D solved everything in Paper Mario.

stuburns said:
More ridiculous claims of EDGE lacking some sort of objective game scoring. EDGE threads are always fun to laugh at how incredibly moronic people can be.

I like Edge, but they screw up the odd review like any other publication and are not immune to creating controversy to attract attention. I recall a certain overly hyped _ _ _ game that was given a relatively low score without accompanying explanation in the review. It was, come to think of it, more an issue of poor editorial restraint, than the lack of an objective and consistent metric.

StuBurns

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
I like Edge, but they screw up the odd review like any other publication and are not immune to creating controversy to attract attention. I recall a certain overly hyped _ _ _ game that was given a relatively low score without accompanying explanation in the review. It was, come to think of it, more an issue of poor editorial restraint, than the lack of an objective and consistent metric.
I do agree. My main gripe with the Edge hate is that people claim they're bias to English developers without even considering the other possibilities. When people like the 1up grew rip on Edge, it's pretty laughable, the standard of writing in Edge, even today outclasses just about any other games publication.

It's specious logic to see they generally score English games higher than the average publication. In every other media people accept that journalists general rate local content higher because they share a common culture. Most Americans would probably rate FO3 higher because it plays on their cultural upbringing, and rate Fable 2 lower because it's very very 'English' in it's style and writing. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Edge writers tend to prefer English games, they were made by their peers who general enjoy more similar things.

AniHawk said:
Hey, I liked Oracle of Seasons. The season changing mechanic led to some interesting puzzles. The only bad part was that sometimes the tree stumps were far away.

Top Bottom