• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

Handel

God Of War: Ragnarok - 7
Somerville - 7
Pentiment - 9
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II - 6
Gotham Knights - 5
The Chant - 6
Sonic Frontiers - 3
A Little To The Left - 6
The Entropy Centre - 5
Marvel Snap - 8
How To Say Goodbye - 6

No better time to hop on board the jester boat and play Pentiment!

Pentiment-dream-ship-with-jesters-1024x576.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
I can not agree with that Sonic Frontiers review score at all.

It's the most fun I've had with a game this year, I loved it.

I understand it isn't going to be for everyone, but a 3? Did they review the switch version?

Edit:
I'm glad I just play games I like the look off rather than rely on reviews though, as I'd miss out on some excellent games & probably end up playing something I wouldn't enjoy at all like Pentiment. (No offence to Pentiment fans, but just from looking at it, I can tell I wouldn't enjoy the game)

Last edited:
I can not agree with that Sonic Frontiers review score at all.

It's the most fun I've had with a game this year, I loved it.

I understand it isn't going to be for everyone, but a 3? Did they review the switch version?

Edit:
I'm glad I just play games I like the look off rather than rely on reviews though, as I'd miss out on some excellent games & probably end up playing something I wouldn't enjoy at all like Pentiment. (No offence to Pentiment fans, but just from looking at it, I can tell I wouldn't enjoy the game)
Man, never trust in reviews from those sites.

Kuranghi

Ragnarok can't get more than an 8 from me. I'm enjoying it but the scope is too limited these days, its really rigid and by the numbers, maybe 1 puzzle in 10 is truly interesting/challenging and combat is rote compared to the spectacle of the old games for me personally, I understand its an actual combat system rather than button mashing but i don't care. I have to accept I just prefer the old GoW game

In what fucking world is GOW:R a 7? I’m usually tolerant of Edge being a point below most others but that is fucking insane.

Great story.
Great gameplay.
Brilliant characters.
Doesn’t outstay its welcome.
Excellent sound design.
Excellent music.
Excellent camera work.
Some great surprises.

I can understand people not liking the loading masking but damn.

tommib

Incoming tears. Personally for no issues with GoW scoring anywhere from 7-9 of its like 2018 (was a 9 for me personally). I anticipate people still won’t be able to take that the gameplay is safe and refined but nothing special, alongside the fact that the story is not special.
7 was my final score. It’s an unbelievably safe game that takes control out of your hands too many times. It’s frustrating. Behind the million of dollars thrown at it, it doesn’t exceed GOW 2018 - which is fine and justifies the 7. The post-end game is actually better because you can almost play freely except for the traversal which is a pain in the ass to get anywhere. The 10/10s puzzle me immensely and I feel people are just afraid to criticise anything that has so much money put into it and looks immaculate. But beauty is only skin deep.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
In what fucking world is GOW:R a 7? I’m usually tolerant of Edge being a point below most others but that is fucking insane.

Great story.
Great gameplay.
Brilliant characters.
Doesn’t outstay its welcome.
Excellent sound design.
Excellent music.
Excellent camera work.
Some great surprises.

I can understand people not liking the loading masking but damn.
Handholdy gameplay
Cinematic walking experiences
Annoying children who are boring
Gameplay revolves around : Walking / Puzzle / Combat

Saber

Gold Member
I'm kinda surprised they actually give Sonic(and Gothan) the score it deserves. But on the other side there are some games with weird scores. Well, they are living up to their names I guess.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
7 was my final score. It’s an unbelievably safe game that takes control out of your hands too many times. It’s frustrating. Behind the million of dollars thrown at it, it doesn’t exceed GOW 2018 - which is fine and justifies the 7. The post-end game is actually better because you can almost play freely except for the traversal which is a pain in the ass to get anywhere. The 10/10s puzzle me immensely and I feel people are just afraid to criticise anything that has so much money put into it and looks immaculate. But beauty is only skin deep.
I started it last night. Got through the first major boss fight. I love talking about what game I'm playing but I'm even hesitant to post in the OT about my impressions so far. Just barely seems worth it. I feel like no one is going to even believe me, or call me a troll or something. But so far, I'm not that into it. Obviously very early still.

Freeman76

At least they dont overrate games and are a bit more grounded, even if i dont always agree.

I think Ragnarok is epic and would score it higher but I love the whole vibe and setting, gameplay wise it isnt pushing any boundaries so can see their point.

Entropy Center I would rate higher as well, I thought it was very clever and some of the puzzles short circuited my brain and seemed impossible at times, but when they click it all seems so obvious, a sign of a good puzzler for me

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Dimps Studio gets a nice little section (beat'em'up pioneers) with Rumble Fish 2, an original arcade release they did on the Atomiswave boards in 2005, which is fully playable BTW, along with quite a few others, in the Dreamcast emulator DEMUL, via the Atomiswave to Dreamcast conversion dumps that are out there.

Kiraly

It wasn’t a bloatfest.

That’s another good point, actually. When faced with 50 hours of content, mocap and dialogue and lore, I tend to feel reviewers are intimidated to give lower scores. “So much content! 10/10”.
It's because anyone will be able to find a few good moments in a 50 hour game and remember those. Doesn't matter if the rest of the 45 hours are tepid, bland, handholding nonsense filled with insipid dialogue and mediocre design.

Top Bottom