• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE scores - issue 223 - January 2011 [Update: Next Month Teaser 164]

Maxrunner

jarosh said:
epic mickey deserves an edge 4 or 3, not a 7. it's a fucking disaster of a game. never fun, fundamentally broken and ass ugly. you spend more time looking at quest update notifications and camera pans than playing the game. and what you play is dull dull dull. one tedious and nonsensical fetch quest after another, interrupted by inane, throwaway 2d platforming sequences with yawn-inducing, braindead level design. and even the music sucked. i thought for a long time metroid other m would be my personal worst game of the year - and it certainly set the bar low - but then i played epic mickey. oh boy.

Metroid Other m worst game??? joke post?

Alx

I'm glad to see Bayonetta nominated twice (even if it didn't win), it's still my GOTY. And congrats to Platinum (I'll play Vanquish when I find the time, promise !)

V_Arnold

LCfiner said:
Let's agree to disagree.

Let us just say the art of Bayonetta is both very unique and consistent. That is what counts. Somebody does not like it? That does not make it bad art.

Jerk

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Look, Bayonetta is a competent action game in the style of DMC. I can give it that.

But the ridiculous visual design is so bad that it ruins the game for me. I feel like gaming takes one step forward and then Bayonetta makes gaming take two steps back.

And I admit that having something like Bayonetta mentioned as GOTY along side games such as SMG2, RDR and Mass Effect 2 makes me despair.

Edit: I played Bayonetta on PS3.

I can understand your issues with the visual design (I share them), but I think that is tainting your opinion of the rest of the game.

Bayonetta is much more than 'competent' and is of a style uniquely its own.

DMC wishes it could be placed in the same category.

It is ugly though...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
LCfiner said:
Let's agree to disagree.
There's nothing to disagree about. The things Bayonetta's art does right aren't subjective. Even if you don't like the way it looks it still accomplishes certain things to a degree well above most other games.

In particular, enemy's telegraph their moves well, enemy variations and types can easily be distinguished by their shape, that variety is maintained despite being under an umbrella for a very particular deistic style, and in spite of the large number of enemies and visual effects that can all occur at the same time it is always easy to make out what is what.

Even if you don't like the art of Bayonetta that doesn't mean it isn't very accomplished on a technical level. It serves that type of game that it is exceptionally well because the people behind it really know what they are doing.

LCfiner

V_Arnold said:
Let us just say the art of Bayonetta is both very unique and consistent. That is what counts. Somebody does not like it? That does not make it bad art.

weeeellll. Kurt Logan's art is both unique and consistent. I would still call it "Bad Art"

NB: do not google Kurt Logan's art while at work.

or anytime.

ever.

edit:

Dance In My Blood said:
There's nothing to disagree about.

oh come on... :lol

Arnie said:
From the sounds of that conclusion EDGE were impressed with the amount of history and research that went into the creation of Epic Mickey and were interested in this whilst playing it. If this was such a fundamental part of their overall experience with the game and contributed so heavily to the final score they gave it how then can it be compared to DKC.
EDGE tend to think like that but thing is even the history side is untapped potential with repeating NPCs (it was some sort of in-joke of they're different animation cells that fell flat) while vast amounts of Disneys forgotten catalogue are left well, forgotten. At least that is what I gathered from this post in the OT. Then again there is also this so its a little of a and a little of b.

I wonder if the rest of the text mentions the gameplay or not.

jarosh

Dabanton said:
Is Epic Mickey that bad? i stopped following updates about it months ago when it was looking like it wasn't going to be as dark as i hoped...
i pre-ordered it. i was optimistic. really. i had high hopes. but it's fucking awful.

the camera, the collision detection, the controls: all broken. try painting the back of a house that's right in front of a huge wall: you can't turn the camera enough to be able to actually point your remote at the patch that needs to be painted, it refuses to get past the wall or behind the character. how are you supposed to paint the roofs of some of the houses or higher up places anyway? the geometry you can and can't walk on is completely arbitrary. you slide off shit you think you should be able to stand on, you can walk on geometry that you really shouldn't be able to, but you can't help but try when you're attempting to get yourself in the right position, maneuvering around the stubborn camera. not that there's much long term use or point to painting everything anyway (the game hits reboot on the paint once you leave an area) outside of the quests that specifically ask for it.

and none of the above is made easier by mickey's sluggish and slow movement, the weird, imprecise jumping and the unreliable hit detection.

there's the quest system that keeps pestering you all the time about the most inane shit. maybe it wouldn't be such a problem if the quests weren't so brief, boring and repetitive in the first place and so many little things triggered quest updates.

and the game is just butt ugly. it looks like dr. muto on ps2. or an old unreal fan mod, with all its puke greens and neon purples.

it's just a highly unpolished game with unexpectedly low production values. y2kev said something like "it's an n64 game with a tacky, modern quest system". and he was talking about the gameplay, the controls and the camera, not the graphics. i'm inclined to agree.

Maxrunner said:
Metroid Other m worst game??? joke post?
oh we've been through this in the other m thread. we really really have.

Bayonetta is good at what it does, but that's it. I don't understand the GOTY praise either.

Glad Galaxy 2 won it, because that clearly is the only choice for GOTY. Pinnacle of 3D platforming. Pinnacle of the Mario franchise. Pinnacle of the Wii.

I'm going to be picking up this issue for their take on Uncharted 3 :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Surprised to see a high score for Golden Sun, I always was under the impression that Edge didn't particularly care for traditional RPGs (haven't played it myself). And yeah, Bayonetta was a fantastic game, even the tacky art direction didn't bother me (especially since some of the environments looked rather nice). I don't normally care for the whole stylish action genre, but Bayo ended up being one of the best games I've played all year.

Curufinwe

DennisK4 said:
:lol Bayonetta

EDGE credibility ruined.

Says random internet forum poster #473. The level of ignorance and self-importance people feel comfortable displaying on GAF never ceases to amaze me.

crispyben

Blimblim said:
Still waiting to get my issue 222, meh. Fucking french post.
Yeah, it can take a while... Have you noticed how it's less expensive for us Euros to order each issue separately rather than subscribe for the whole year? :D

Maxrunner

Theres really much, much worse than either those two...i sure would like to know what you've played around same time....

DennisK4 said:
:lol Bayonetta

EDGE credibility ruined.

Seriously though, I cannot fathom the praise for Bayonneta.

And Edge is more out of thouch with gaming than ever before. UK gaming and in general. Last bastion of 'japanese games are just better'
Let me guess you really like Enslaved?

hamchan

How can you not recognize the brilliance in Bayonetta's gameplay? The artistic style is pretty much all subjective but the actual gameplay shits on every other action game out there and I don't know what to say if you don't recognize that. It deserves all the high praise it gets.

Ledsen

Dance In My Blood said:
But the art in Bayonetta is actually really well done, particularly that of the enemies and the environments.

Yep, Bayonetta has amazing visuals in addition to perfecting character action gameplay. Like someone said before, the art is both extremely technically competent (this part makes it different from something like Kurt Logan), unique and consistent. The "unique" part is what draws the haters, which is fine since divisive art tends to be the most interesting, but the other two aspects can't be denied.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
djtiesto said:
Surprised to see a high score for Golden Sun, I always was under the impression that Edge didn't particularly care for traditional RPGs (haven't played it myself).

Other Nintendo RPGs:
Mario & Luigi 3 - 9
Paper Mario 2 - 8
Mario & Luigi 1 - 8
Golden Sun 7
Mario & Luigi 2 - 7
Paper Mario - 7
Super Paper Mario - 7
FE Sacred Stones 7
FE Shadow Dragon 7
Baten Kaitos 1 - 7 (I know this is technically Namco)
Golden Sun The Lost Age 6
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 - 3

(this appears to be a complete list of Nintendo-published RPGs reviewed by Edge; I excluded FF Crystal Chronicles and FF Tactics Advance because although Nintendo published them, I don't think they reflect Nintendo's design philosophy in any way)

And if we're talking traditional JRPGs in general we should mention their Dragon Quest scores as well:

Dragon Quest IV - 8
Dragon Quest V - 8
Dragon Quest VIII - 8
Dragon Quest IX - 9

EDGE has a habit of...well...not pleasing the W-RPG crowd, though.

crispyben said:
Yeah, it can take a while... Have you noticed how it's less expensive for us Euros to order each issue separately rather than subscribe for the whole year? :D
Call them and raise this concern, saying you'd like to cancel. They are usually pretty good about that kind of stuff. I was paying 9.99 per 3 issues for a while until I saw an ad for like 6.99, they changed me to a lower scheme immediately knowing that the vast majority of subscribers won't bother to change.

DennisK4 said:
Look, Bayonetta is a competent action game in the style of DMC. I can give it that.

But the ridiculous visual design is so bad that it ruins the game for me. I feel like gaming takes one step forward and then Bayonetta makes gaming take two steps back.

And I admit that having something like Bayonetta mentioned as GOTY along side games such as SMG2, RDR and Mass Effect 2 makes me despair.

Edit: I played Bayonetta on PS3.

:lol overrated piece of shit. Nintendo can shit in a can and people would still go wild over it.

AAK

I approve of the Bayonetta love....

But GOW3 should have at least been nominated for Visual Design. Or at least gotten SOME recognition for the Chronos sequence.

Dascu

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol overrated piece of shit. Nintendo can shit in a can and people would still go wild over it.
I'm shocked and somewhat disappointed that someone with a Panzer Dragoon avatar can still spew bullshit like that.

hamchan said:
How can you not recognize the brilliance in Bayonetta's gameplay? The artistic style is pretty much all subjective but the actual gameplay shits on every other action game out there and I don't know what to say if you don't recognize that. It deserves all the high praise it gets.

This. Calling it a 'competent action game' is like calling Kubrick or Hitchcock 'a competent director'. It's marvelous stuff with extremely deep gameplay that makes the mundane mission design in titles like RDR and ME2 look poor in comparison. Games are about gameplay first and foremost and in that respect Bayonetta takes much bigger steps forward than some of the Western games people ejaculated over this year.

woodypop

Bootaaay said:
e223_cover.jpg
Has Drake always looked like Gerard Butler, or is this a new thing?

Kuroyume

Banned
The Bayonetta arguments are so incredibly boring. I thought everyone exhausted that like 11 months ago. Much rather read more Epic Mickey bashing because I sure as hell did not expect that after all the hype many months ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DeadGzuz said:
if (game == ps3_exclusive)
score -= 2;

Don't ever change Edge :D

if(poster == "DeadGzuz" && thread_subject.contains("EDGE") { print("endless list of complaints about how the media is biased against PS3"); }

In fact, a quick Google search shows you complaining about EDGE being "biased against PS3" exclusives in at least 6 EDGE threads in the last year. As far as I can tell the only reason why you didn't complain in the other 6 EDGE threads is because you were banned when most of them were posted.

If you want to make a point, make a point. Wait for the GT5 review to come out, mention what you disagree with. Make your case. Note that a "case" isn't simply saying that EDGE rated a 360 game you don't like well and a PS3 game you do like poorly, it's agreeing or disagreeing with specific comments made or arguing that the tone of the review doesn't reflect the overall score. If this doesn't seem like something you're interested in doing, don't post in EDGE threads anymore.

iam220

Approve of SC2 being the best multiplayer experience. Which to someone like me who plays almost exclusively online, that's GOTY right there :)

LCfiner said:
Bayonetta is one of those games that seemingly gets the combat so right that it's enough to get past the cheesy-as-hell art design.

Holy shit what?

LCfiner said:
weeeellll. Kurt Logan's art is both unique and consistent. I would still call it "Bad Art"

Did you really just compare Bayonetta to Kurt Logan?

Don't you think that's just a biiiiiiiiiiiit fuck-stupid? :lol

Kard8p3

Prime crotch said:
what the hell, Epic Mickey sucked? I am way out of the game

Actually the game received mostly good reviews and there are people on GAF (including myself) that do like it. I'd say an Edge 7 is deserved.

kinggroin

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Care to suggest a better device which is used to play videogames which came out this year?

Calm down. The category for best hardware is incredibly broad, and without any context other than the other two nominees, one could argue any case here. For what's its worth, I agree with the choice. Though I think that isn't saying anything at all. All three of those devices provide rather lackluster gaming experiences imo (each having a better alternative as far software is concerned).

I guess the iphone has the best games of all phones (but who the fuck would buy it or its derivatives for gaming). Whatever.

Edit: To clarify, I originally thought best hardware was simply that. Overall best gaming hardware this year.

.la1n

Phoenix Fang said:

SMG2? Do you hate fun? I bet you kill small animals too don't you.

j/k everyone has a right to an opinion even if it's wrong

kinggroin said:
Calm down. The category for best hardware is incredibly broad, and without any context other than the other two nominees, one could argue any case here. For what's its worth, I agree with the choice. Though I think that isn't saying anything at all. All three of those devices provide rather lackluster gaming experiences imo (each having a better alternative as far software is concerned).

I guess the iphone has the best games of all phones (but who the fuck would buy it or its derivatives for gaming). Whatever.
Bu-bu-but iPhone is killing the DS and PSP market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sipowicz

Banned
edge is so fucking good. agree with everything but best publisher and best hardware

i dont get the kirby one though

Top Bottom