• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE scores - issue 223 - January 2011 [Update: Next Month Teaser 164]

LCfiner

Fimbulvetr said:
Holy shit what?

Did you really just compare Bayonetta to Kurt Logan?

Don't you think that's just a biiiiiiiiiiiit fuck-stupid? :lol

I haven't played bayonetta so I'm just going by what people said about the combat. hence "seemingly".

I have not been commenting on bayonetta's quality as a game. i've been focusing on the art style and how it's entirely possible that it could turn people off the game.

I brought in Kurt Logan as an extreme example to show that "unique" and "consistent" are silly adjectives to use to say that Art is somehow "good" or "bad". it's all so fucking relative. i don't like bayonetta's style AT ALL and I don't really give a shit if it's consistently terrible or erratically terrible. to me, it's still terrible.

LCfiner said:
I haven't played bayoneeta so I'm just going by what people said about the combat. hence "seemingly".

I have not been commenting on bayoneta's quality as a game. i've been focusing on the art style and how it's entirely posssible that it could turn people off the game.

I brought in Kurt Logan as an extreme example to show that "unique" and "consistent" are silly adjectives to use to say that Art is somehow "good" or "bad". it's all so fucking relative. i don't like bayoneta's style AT ALL and I don't really give a shit if it's consistently terrible or erratically terrible. to me, it's still terrible.

Okay fine then.

But what aspects do you think are bad and why?

Main characters?(I can see the most people being put off by this, since the artist clearly has a passion for fashion.) Enemies? Environments?

LCfiner

Fimbulvetr said:
Okay fine then.

But what aspects do you think are bad and why?

Main characters?(I can see the most people being put off by this, since the artist clearly has a passion for fashion.) Enemies? Environments?

yeah. Bayonetta, her hairsuit, summoned hair demons. most of the early enemies I saw in videos. I don't like it.

if I really enjoyed character action games with frenetic combat, I'd still play it. but I don't really enjoy those games so I wasn't about to start this one.

LCfiner said:
yeah. Bayonetta, her hairsuit, summoned hair demons. most of the early enemies I saw in videos. I don't like it.

if I really enjoyed character action games with frenetic combat, I'd still play it. but I don't really enjoy those games so I wasn't about to start this one.

I'm just gonna press you about what you thought was so bad about the enemies, since I can definitely understand hate for the main character designs.

LCfiner

Fimbulvetr said:
I'm just gonna press you about what you thought was so bad about the enemies, since I can definitely understand hate for the main character designs.

I'm more meh about the enemies than about the main character, to be honest.

are you going to ask me about the numbers, now?

Dabanton

TheOddOne said:
Best Audio Design: Limbo?

It has some pretty startling audio design. Remember the game has no music so overall ambient sound becomes even more important when creating it's otherworld atmosphere. Listening to it through my Surround system was a treat i can still hear that spider coming

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
mescalineeyes said:
Holy shit, I just realized freaking Husky won an award. <3 Edge

Artosis got robbed

lol @ taking 10 minutes to add your edit.

Husky is single handedly rigging some of the game of the year votes lol :lol Sc2 is likely going to win gamespots over ME2 due to him asking people to vote

Being turned off a game and going "I DON'T CARE IF THE GAMEPLAY IS GOOD I DON'T LIKE IT AND ANYONE WHO SAYS IT'S GOOD LOSES CREDIBILITY *stomps foot*" are super different.

Review scores seem to be on the money and while I don't agree with most of the awards they seem to be at least sane.

And yeah Bayonetta has pretty terrible art design. The enemies just look terrible. Really unappealing for me and it probably impacted my judgment of the game a bit. Still, the actual gameplay is good.

Curufinwe said:
Gracious and Glorious look terrible? I think maybe you just have terrible taste.

In terms of art? Grace/Glory > Gracious/Glorious

Cherub faces are fine when they aren't on everything.

is someone actually trying to discredit bayonetta's art direction? over what?

the amount of intelligent detail and thematic consistency with almost every facet of that game's art direction deserves an award. several of them.

Jex

Damn, classic EDGE thread brining out the super crazies.

That's a very respectable set of GOTY picks. But perhaps I'm just saying that because it already confirms my own views.

I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Merguson

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
US SUBSCRIPTIONS CAN SUCK A DICK

I think I'm 3 issues behind now.

FUCK IMS NEWS

Weird. I'm in Canada (using IMS news) and I already have Issue #222 which came at least a week ago.

Jexhius said:
Damn, classic EDGE thread brining out the super crazies.

That's a very respectable set of GOTY picks. But perhaps I'm just saying that because it already confirms my own views.

I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Yeah, the tin foil hats get a LOT of use in EDGE threads. I love the mag since it's so close to my personal opinion and I too agree with the GOTY picks.

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol overrated piece of shit. Nintendo can shit in a can and people would still go wild over it.

Don't agree about SMG2, but kind of agree with the sentiment about Nintendo...

SMG2 isn't my GOTY but it's a damn good one.

Oh, and Bayonetta deserves be to alongside ME2, RDR, or any other GOTY candidate you can think of. Absolutely brilliant combat in that game.

Majukun

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol overrated piece of shit. Nintendo can shit in a can and people would still go wild over it.
TL6P3.gif

TheOddOne

Dabanton said:
It has some pretty startling audio design. Remember the game has no music so overall ambient sound becomes even more important when creating it's otherworld atmosphere. Listening to it through my Surround system was a treat i can still hear that spider coming
Personally there was nothing special about the ''startling'' audio design in Limbo, the ambience was nice and all but its nothing to write home about.

jarosh

TheOddOne said:
Personally there was nothing special about the ''startling'' audio design in Limbo, the ambience was nice and all but its nothing to write home about.
do you know anything about sound design? because, yes, limbo's sound design is of extraordinary quality and its execution is very unique, often subtle but extremely polished, and masterfully implemented.

the slow and brooding buildup to a dark ambiance with hints of sinister strings and distant, muffled, warm harmonies and the ever-present environmental sounds, the faint ambient noise... there's the slow and eerie passages with warm and organic sound and the cold, empty stretches of unknown, potentially dangerous terrain followed by sudden outbursts of dark and violent melodic and sometimes disharmonic flashes. then there's the excellent use of reverberation, doing a fantastic job of setting the mood in general, especially later on.

but the sound design has gameplay implications as well and is often used very cleverly and to great effect. one scene in particular comes to mind: the first encounter with the spider...

you walk across a long stretch of grass in the forest. but it's eerily quiet, so you're alert. there's hardly a sound and no obstacles or dangers in sight, so of course you notice the trap high up on a tree, but for now it seems useless, so you continue on ahead to find the big spider blocking your path. first you only hear a rattling from the bushes. then it reveals its long and ominous looking legs and you get closer, wondering what will happen next. suddenly it seems to target you but you step back just in time before it manages to pierce you. it misses, but instead its leg violently stomps and shakes the ground. WHOOMP. now the sound definitely has your full attention. after another stomp everything turns quiet again for half a second. and then you hear it: a metallic *CLANK* from your left speaker, from somewhere off-screen. you know what happened almost immediately: the trap you just walked past must have fallen from the tree. and you realize what's next...

yes, truly masterful sound design :)

TheOddOne

jarosh said:
do you know anything about sound design? because, yes, limbo's sound design is of extraordinary quality and its execution is very unique, often subtle but extremely polished, and masterfully implemented.

the slow and brooding buildup to a dark ambiance with hints of sinister strings and distant, muffled, warm harmonies and the ever-present environmental sounds, the faint ambient noise... there's the slow and eerie passages with warm and organic sound and the cold, empty stretches of unknown, potentially dangerous terrain followed by sudden outbursts of dark and violent melodic and sometimes disharmonic flashes. then there's the excellent use of reverberation, doing a fantastic job of setting the mood in general, especially later on.

but the sound design has gameplay implications as well and is often used very cleverly and to great effect. one scene in particular comes to mind: the first encounter with the spider...

you walk across a long stretch of grass in the forest. but it's eerily quiet, so you're alert. there's hardly a sound and no obstacles or dangers in sight, so of course you notice the trap high up on a tree, but for now it seems useless, so you continue on ahead to find the big spider blocking your path. it stomps and shakes the ground with its long, dangerous looking legs. after another stomp everything turns quiet again for half a second. and then you hear it: a metallic *CLANK* from your left speaker, from somewhere off-screen. you know what happened almost immediately: the trap you just walked past must have fallen from the tree. and you realize what's next...

yes, truly masterful sound design :)
My response: meh.

TheOddOne said:
Best Audio Design: Limbo?
It makes up just about half of the overall presentation, far more than other games. Its almost the sensory deprivation tank of games, so the nomination at least makes some sense.

Their GOTY awards make them better than any gaming publication out there.

So happy they didn't give a nomination to garbage like Mass Effect 2.

One thing I'll saw about Limbo. When I handed the controller to my casual gaming brother to play, knowing nothing about what he was getting himself into, I made a point of cranking the volume way, WAY up while I watched with sadistic anticipation.

My god those spike traps made us jump out of our seats every time. So god damned brutal.

Nert

This thread is bizarro world. What is wrong with the people that are calling games like Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Bayonetta "shit" and "garbage?" I can understand any one of those not being for you, or perhaps not quite living up to expectations, but come on...

mokeyjoe

Rabbitwork said:
is someone actually trying to discredit bayonetta's art direction? over what?

the amount of intelligent detail and thematic consistency with almost every facet of that game's art direction deserves an award. several of them.

Bayonetta was quality through and through, it's camp, OTT art direction was original and superbly executed. Considering the generic crap that many people fawn over it's not surprising they wouldn't know decent art if it smacked them in the face.

mokeyjoe said:
Bayonetta was quality through and through, it's camp, OTT art direction was original and superbly executed. Considering the generic crap that many people fawn over it's not surprising they wouldn't know decent art if it smacked them in the face.
Oh man I wish I could be like you, be an expert and know which art is great!

dyergram

Jarosh said:
do you know anything about sound design? because, yes, limbo's sound design is of extraordinary quality and its execution is very unique, often subtle but extremely polished, and masterfully implemented. the slow and brooding buildup to a dark ambiance with hints of sinister strings and distant, muffled, warm harmonies and the ever-present environmental sounds, the faint ambient noise... there's the slow and eerie passages with warm and organic sound and the cold, empty stretches of unknown, potentially dangerous terrain followed by sudden outbursts of dark and violent melodic and sometimes disharmonic flashes. then there's the excellent use of reverberation, doing a fantastic job of setting the mood in general, especially later on. but the sound design has gameplay implications as well and is often used very cleverly and to great effect. one scene in particular comes to mind: the first encounter with the spider... you walk across a long stretch of grass in the forest. but it's eerily quiet, so you're alert. there's hardly a sound and no obstacles or dangers in sight, so of course you notice the trap high up on a tree, but for now it seems useless, so you continue on ahead to find the big spider blocking your path. first you only hear a rattling from the bushes. then it reveals its long and ominous looking legs and you get closer, wondering what will happen next. suddenly it seems to target you but you step back just in time before it manages to pierce you. it misses, but instead its leg violently stomps and shakes the ground. WHOOMP. now the sound definitely has your full attention. after another stomp everything turns quiet again for half a second. and then you hear it: a metallic *CLANK* from your left speaker, from somewhere off-screen. you know what happened almost immediately: the trap you just walked past must have fallen from the tree. and you realize what's next...
wow great post I really want to play this now.

Top Bottom