• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

100 - WarioWare Inc - GBA
99 - Spec Ops: The Line
98 - Papers, Please
97 - DriveClub
96 - Braid
95 - Super Hexagon
94 - Her Story
93 - Super Monkey Ball
92 - Final Fantasy XII
91 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
90 - Katamari Damacy
89 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
88 - Resogun
87 - Puzzle Bobble
86 - F-Zero GX
85 - The Sims 3
84 - R-Type Final
83 - Elite: Dangerous
82 - Bomberman
81 - Starcraft II
80 - Pac-Man Championship Edition
79 - BioShock
78 - CoD 4: Modern Warfare
77 - Puzzle & Dragons
76 - Tearaway
75 - League of Legends
74 - Super Meat Boy
73 - Xenoblade Chronicles
72 - Titanfall
71 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
70 - Left 4 Dead 2
69 - Counter-Strike Global Offensive
68 - Civilization IV
67 - Rez
66 - Battlefield 4
65 - Metroid Prime
64 - Hearthstone
63 - Castlevania SotN
62 - Limbo
61 - Towerfall: Ascension
60 - Earthbound
59 - Batman: Arkham Knight
58 - Transistor
57 - Puyo Puyo
56 - FTL Advanced Edition
55 - Persona 4 Golden
54 - Mass Effect 2
53 - Okami
52 - The Stanley Parable
51 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
50 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
49 - The Witcher III
48 - Far Cry 4
47 - LittleBigPlanet 3
46 - Trials Fusion
45 - Nidhogg
44 - Fez
43 - Super Mario 3D World
42 - Journey
41 - Fire Emblem: Awakening
40 - Dead Space
39 - Dota 2
38 - Vanquish
37 - Super Mario Maker
36 - Shadow of the Colossus
35 - Halo 3
34 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
33 - Spelunky HD
32 - Destiny
31 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
30 - Kerbal Space Program
29 - Dishonored
28 - Splatoon
27 - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
26 - Rock Band 3
25 - Skyrim
24 - Drop7
23 - Uncharted 2
22 - Ico
21 - Super Metroid
20 - Demon's Souls
19 - Advance Wars
18 - Mario Kart 8
17 - Ultra Street Fighter IV
16 - MGS V: The Phantom Pain
15 - Super Mario World
14 - Red Dead Redemption
13 - Super Mario 64
12 - Portal
11 - Bayonetta 2
10 - Minecraft
9 - Resident Evil 4
8 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
6 - Tetris
5 - Half-Life 2
4 - Bloodborne
3 - The Last of Us
2 - GTA V
1 - Dark Souls

In compiling the list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – console, PC, portable, coin-op, touchscreen – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

Shout out to Sabreman and MaffewE at rllmukforum for posting the list. If you want to buy it you can get it from all good news agents for £11.99 but Curtis reports at Tesco it scans for £9.99.
As mentioned in the other EDGE 285 thread, you can order the Edge Special Edition: The 100 Greatest Videogames here : https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.../edge-special-edition-the-top-100-videogames/

The price is £11.99/€18.99/$20.99 but the discount code DIGISUB gets you -£5/-€5/-$5 !

maxcriden

That is a bizarre mismatch of a list. The focus on modern games is really mystifying. A lot of these games are too new to be in a top 100. Something that came out in the last year--I feel like it's kind of impossible to say if it's one of the top games of all time yet because we don't have enough distance from it.

ETA: Mario Maker? @_@ It's been out for less than a month. Really weird list.

pants

5 - Half-Life 2
4 - Bloodborne
3 - The Last of Us
2 - GTA V
1 - Dark Souls
aZS4PwQ.gif

11 - Bayonetta 2
aZS4PwQ.gif

The top 5 is a .... bold choice.

I do generally agree with their list and I was honestly surprised they even included a competitive game like Dota 2 and Ultra Street Fighter 4.

DriveClub getting its due. The game is just flat-out fucking awesome these days.

LittleBigPlanet 3 though, that's just baffling. Worst LBP by a mile.

Edit - They've only got one Final Fantasy in there and it's XII?! Getthefuckouttahere.

Edit 2 - They know that ICO is a better game than SotC, so fair play.

Bumhead

Banned
That is a bizarre mismatch of a list. The focus on modern games is really mystifying. A lot of these games are too new to be in a top 100. Something that came out in the last year--I feel like it's kind of impossible to say if it's one of the top games of all time yet because we don't have enough distance from it.

ETA: Mario Maker? @_@ It's been out for less than a month. Really weird list.

I'm not sure if the publication itself specifies this, but if I recall correctly Edge's Facebook and Twitter posts about this issue state it's specifically a modern classics issue.

EDIT: The cover of the issue states "The Ultimate Collection of Modern Classics".

100 is a lot of games and I feel like they missed some important ones.
Putting Half-Life 2 at #5 and then completely miss out Half-Life 1 doesn't make any sense to me.
But it's a nice list.

herod

another vote for mystifying slant on new games

edit: just looked specifically at the racing games only. Are they having a joke?

This type of list is just one persons private list on the behalf of his magazine, right? It's a weird list. Arkham Knight? Phantom Pain? No Deus Ex or not that many classic pc games?

Serrato

This list sounds more like a list of the 100 games ''flavour of the times'' + the nostalgic picks to seem legit.

A few grumbles about some placements, but I can't argue too much overall - although a little surprised to see Driveclub in there. Is it just me or is that the only 'realistic' racer in there? I can see Outrun 2006 and Mario Kart 8 as well, but that's it.

bobone

I've seen a lot of lists in my day, but this has to be one of the worst. Weird how many modern games are on there, especially ones that had such little impact, like Titanfall above COD4 and Bioshock. Dishonored above Link to the Past? Bayonetta 2 above Super Mario 64? So weird.

maxcriden

I'm not sure if the publication itself specifies this, but if I recall correctly Edge's Facebook and Twitter posts about this issue state it's specifically a modern classics issue.

EDIT: The cover of the issue states "The Ultimate Collection of Modern Classics".

Ah, gotcha. Thank you. It is strange that there are a few older games on there, though. (And my Nintendo bias tells me lots of excellent games are totally omitted, but I'm used to that!)

phanphare

Banned
this seems like a top 100 list to pander to internet forums lol

edit: ok it's a modern classics list. makes a bit more sense now.

I always hate these types of list. It's so subjective. I'd much rather it be "100 games you should play" or something.

EDIT: No Goldeneye. List can fuck off.

8bit

Knows the Score
I adore Wario Ware Inc., but GBA era is pretty far from modern surely. It's nearly 12 years old.

Shane

No Doom?

This must have more context to it outside of 'greatest videogames'. As it's Doom.

Edit: The more I read that list the more crap it is.

Zeta Oni

Bayonetta 2 is great, but I disagree with that placement.

Same goes for Bloodbourne.

Edit: Same for Dark souls as well, amazing game but best of all time? Some of the titles on here changed the entire industry upon release, but dark souls is above all as the greatest game of all time?

Eggbok

As much as I love LittleBigPlanet 3, I think LittleBigPlanet 2 is a much better game.
LittleBigPlanet 3 is a better creating tool though.

Over the years we have seen lots of these lists, some mediocre, some bad, some somewhat acceptable. This? This is one of the worst.

-No Doom on the list. No Quake.
-HL2 but not HL1
-GTA5 in the top 5
-Barely any strategy game in the list. Where is the MoM, the JA2, the MoO2, the original UFO?
-Over representation of Dark Souls / Bloodborne / Demon's Souls
-Bias towards modern games. Far Cry 4? Fez? Stanley Parable? Dishonored but not any classic Thief, nor Deus Ex nor System Shock 2? Skyrim is in but not Ultima 7. etc

Maffew

Shout out to MaffewE at rllmukforum for posting the list.

Hi, I am that person. :)

Just to correctly distribute the credit, the list was originally posted in the Rllmuk thread by Sabreman, and I edited it back into my post. For my part, I ordered my copy as a preorder from their site.. and am still waiting for it to be sent. Hooray for Future Publishing.

Top Bottom