• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

Dennis

Banned
3 - The Last of Us
2 - GTA V
1 - Dark Souls

I have not yet played either GTA V or Dark Souls which means in principle that I have yet to play the two greatest videogames ever made. Exciting.

But much as I adore The Last of Us it is nowhere near being the third greatest game ever made.

Percy

Banned
Er... is there supposed to be some parody element to this list I'm missing?

I laughed out loud at some of the shit included here (Spec Ops The Line??? Arkham KNIGHT?!?) while titles like Bayonetta 1 and Mario Galaxy 1 or any of the good Arkham games don't chart at all?

I know opinions and all, but there's something messed here for sure.

Reset

Braid, Final Fantasy XII, Metroid, OoT, Spec Ops and Vanquish. Wow this is one of the worst list I have ever seen.

Final Fantasy XII is the worst main line non MMORPG FF game. LTTP isn't topping the list instead they have OoT above it. Metroid is on the list hahaha. The Uncharted games should be higher than the TLoU. MOBAs are shit, so LoL doesn't belong on the list. Oh and FE:A is not the best FE game. All the GBA games and the GC were better than it.

Bumhead

Banned
edit: ok it's a modern classics list. makes a bit more sense now.

Despite pointing that out myself, I'm actually pretty mystified by it having looked at the list.

Tetris is on there, and if Ocarina of Time is on there then how can Metal Gear Solid not be given that they were both released in 1998?

No Super Mario 3?

OOT in front of Wind Waker?

Trials Fusion instead of Evolution?

No MGS, or even worse, MGS3? For shame.

Titanfall?

Battlefield 4??!!!

iu

bati

Ctrl+f
'jagged' (Jagged Alliance 2)

No hits.

Whelp.

edit: ROFL. No Fallouts, Baldur's Gate, etc? The list looks like it was made by someone who started gaming 3 years ago.

PranooY

Worst Metal Gear on the list and no sign of MGS3? Titanfall, Destiny, Driveclub -- WTF?

I approve of Dark Souls on top. :)

correojon

I agreed with moat of their previous top 100 list, but this one is not right. As much as I love Splatoon and am enjoying Mario Maker it's too soon for them to appear in the same list as classics like Tetris, OoT or Half Life 2. Same goes for the Souls games, specially Bloodborne.

They may have thought they needed to change the list a lot to justify a new edition of the Top100, but this is just wrong.

Edge Magazine (2007) top games list said:
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 2. Resident Evil 4 3. Super Mario 64 4. Half Life 2 5. Super Mario World 6. Zelda: A Link to the Past 7. Halo: Combat Evolved 8. Final Fantasy XII 9. Tetris 10. Super Metroid 11. Yoshi's Island 12. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 13. Ico 14. Super Mario Kart 15. Pro Evolution Soccer 6 16. Street Fighter Anniversary 17. GoldenEye 007 18. Final Fantasy VII 19. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 20. Civilization IV 21. Okami 22. World Of WarCraft 23. Metroid Prime 24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 25. Sim City 2000 26. Advance Wars 27. Rez 28. Perfect Dark 29. Deus Ex 30. Shadow Of The Colossus 31. Katamari Damacy 32. Project Gotham Racing 2 33. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 34. R-Type Final 35. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty 36. Battlefield 2 37. StarCraft 38. Virtua Fighter 5 39. Secret Of Mana 40. Wario Ware Inc: Minigame Mania 41. Gran Turismo 4 42. Rome: Total War 43. Bomberman 44. Super Monkey Ball 45. Company Of Heroes 46. Quake III 47. Far Cry 48. Puyo Pop Fever 49. Animal Crossing 50. Shenmue 51. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire 52. Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness 53. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 54. Chrono Trigger 55. Counter-Strike 56. Guitar Hero 57. Soul Calibur 58. Tempest 2000 59. StarFox 64 60. Pac-Man Vs 61. Manhunt 62. Jet Set Radio Future 63. Lumines 64. System Shock 2 65. Darwinia 66. F-Zero GX 67. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 68. GTR2 69. PilotWings 64 70. Ridge Racers 2 71. Ninja Gaiden Black 72. Killer7 73. Puzzle Bobble (aka Bust-a-Move) 74. Thief: The Dark Project 75. Burnout 2 76. Ikaruga 77. Football Manager 2007 78. Doom II 79. Secret of Monkey Island 80. Virtua Tennis 3 81. Robotron 2084 82. Lemmings 83. Nights 84. Phantasy Star Online 85. Silent Hill 2 86. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast 87. Mr. Driller 88. Sega Rally Championship 89. Tomb Raider 90. Devil May Cry 91. Super Smash Bros. Melee 92. Resident Evil 93. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door 94. Gitaroo Man 95. God of War 96. Wipeout 97. Tekken 3 98. Sensible Soccer 99. Psychonauts 100. Crackdown
Edge Magazine (2009) 100 best games to play today said:
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Half-Life 2
4. Resident Evil 4
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
6. Super Mario World
7. Tetris
8. Super Mario Galaxy
9. Halo 3
10. Yoshi's Island
11. LittleBigPlanet
12. Grand Theft Auto IV
13. Left 4 Dead
14. Street Fighter IV
15. Rock Band 2
16. Super Metroid
17. World of Warcraft
18. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
19. Civilization IV
20. Super Mario Bros. 3
21. Metal Gear Solid 4
22. Grand Theft Auto Vice City
23. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
24. Virtua Fighter 5
25. Final Fantasy XII
26. Medieval II: Total War
27. Mario Kart DS
28. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
29. Advance Wars
30. Company of Heroes
31. Bomberman
32. Team Fortress 2
33. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2
34. Bioshock
35. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
36. Burnout Paradise
37. Fallout 3
38. StarCraft
39. Super Monkey Ball
40. Wario Ware Inc.
41. Race Driver: Grid
42. FIFA '09
43. Portal
44. Jet Set Radio Future
45. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
46. Disgaea: Afternoon Of Darkness
47. Eve Online
48. Final Fantasy VII
49. Rez HD
50. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
51. R-Type Final
52. Fable II
53. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
54. Ico
55. Pokémon Yellow
56. Counter-Strike Source
57. Deus Ex
58. Gears of War 2
59. Viewtiful Joe
60. Puzzle Bobble
61. Robotron 2084
62. Ninja Gaiden II (Current gen)
63. Lemmings
64. Puyo Puyo Fever
65. Thief II: The Metal Age
66. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
67. Chrono Trigger
68. Shadow of the Colossus
69. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
70. Daytona USA
71. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
72. Skate 2
73. Frequency
74. Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords
75. F-Zero GX
76. Planescape: Torment
77. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
78. UFO: Enemy Unknown
79. Pac-Man Championship Edition
80. Quake III
81. Silent Hill 2
82. Sam and Max Hit the Road
83. Peggle
84. God of War
85. The Secret of Monkey Island
86. Singsta
87. Doom II
88. Panel De Pon
89. Final Fantasy VI
90. Braid
91. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
92. Animal Crossing: City Folk
93. The Sims 2
94. Space Giraffe
95. Football Manager 2009
96. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
97. Resident Evil
98. Star Fox 64
99. Far Cry
100. R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

Dennis

Banned
ctrl + F "Phantasy Star"

ctrl + F "Crysis"

ctrl + F "STALKER"

ctrl + F "Deus Ex"

ctrl + F "System Shock 2"

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
It's a weird list and there's a lot of overlap - plus there are a lot of old games which have, IMO been outdone, in all aspects. SM64 is no longer the bastion of 3d platforming it once was, see later Mario titles.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Putting Kerbal Space Program ahead of all-time greats such as A Link to the Past, Symphony of the Night, and Metroid Prime confuses the shit out of me.

I doubt they mean the most recent Ubisoft version of Tetris when they list Tetris.

Tetris and Puzzle Bobble are before 2000...

Yeah, but there have been other versions of PB and Tetris released in the 2000's. Like there was a Tetris DS and Buzzle Bobble DS. It's just very hard for me to believe that this is an all time list when it's lacking so many classic games before the 2000's. No Ninja Gaiden (not even the modern ones), Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Sonic, Contra, G&G, 32/64bit JRPG's etc. It's one of the strangest lists i've ever seen.

Zakalwe

Banned
Far Cry 4
Arkham Knight
Nidhogg
Etc...

No Deus Ex, no Balder's Gate, no Diablo or any of the classic PC games.

Not my kind of list.

d00d3n

99 - Spec Ops: The Line
97 - DriveClub
95 - Super Hexagon
88 - Resogun
66 - Battlefield 4
61 - Towerfall: Ascension
47 - LittleBigPlanet 3
46 - Trials Fusion
45 - Nidhogg
30 - Kerbal Space Program
24 - Drop7
2 - GTA V

All of these are baffling choices imo. GTAV is ridiculously positioned as the second greatest video game of all time. I like the game, but wow. The indie/iOS choices seem quite random. If Drop7 is the 24th greatest game of all time, Kerbal Space Program is the 30th and Nidhogg is the 45th, and Towefall: Ascension is the 61th, then how can World of Goo be out of the top 100 race? Furthermore, are all of those indie games really better than Deus Ex (or even Human Revolution) or Bloodlines? Where is Fallout 2 on the list? Any kind of recognition for the crpg genre?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
List are lists, they're extremely subjectively by nature, and it's impossible to really measure and rank creative works.

But fuck me that is the weirdest Top 100 games list I've read in a while. Like...it reads as a really specific, personal list of an individual's favourite games that I can't imagine are argued with much weight beyond "oh, I really like this game more than (insert other potential candidate)".

Which, you know, is fine. Maybe even good, given my first statement, just kinda saying "Fuck it" and writing a personal best of.

Bishop89

ive seen some terrible top x lists, but this has to take the cake.

Just reading down from 100, spec ops...braid?

wow

The last remaining ounce of credibility Edge once had has now gone. I'm not doubting the greatness of games on the list, but surely they just pulled the top 20 out of a hat!

Surprised to see Driveclub sat their over the long list of driving games like Forza/Horizon to GT to PGR and Burnout. Is there some "special criteria" context missing in the OP?

Hanmik

Yeah, but there have been other versions of PB and Tetris released in the 2000's. Like there was a Tetris DS and Buzzle Bobble DS. It's just very hard for me to believe that this is an all time list when it's lacking so many classic games before the 2000's. No Ninja Gaiden (not even the modern ones), Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Sonic, Contra, G&G, 32/64bit JRPG's etc. It's one of the strangest lists i've ever seen.

it is a strange list.. but this is what their page tells us..

Consisting of 212 pages and presented with a foil ­embossed cover, this limited­ edition celebration features 100 essays on the videogames that deserve to be in your collection, from old favourites such as Tetris to modern ­day masterpieces such as Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

it´s strange-.

Randomizer

Braid, Final Fantasy XII, Metroid, OoT, Spec Ops and Vanquish. Wow this is one of the worst list I have ever seen.

Final Fantasy XII is the worst main line non MMORPG FF game. LTTP isn't topping the list instead they have OoT above it. Metroid is on the list hahaha. The Uncharted games should be higher than the TLoU. MOBAs are shit, so LoL doesn't belong on the list. Oh and FE:A is not the best FE game. All the GBA games and the GC were better than it.
Well done this post is actually worse than that shitty list. The Metroid series and in particular Super and Prime are regarded as some of the best games ever which usually appear in the Top 10 or Top 5 in a good list. FFXII is leagues better than FFVIII, FFX & FFXIII. Whilst OOT and LTTP are both fantastic games OOT is certainly a more revolutionary and influential title overall.

Top Bottom