• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge won't be releasing a review of Death Stranding

Bullet Club

dsovkXZ.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this rules set for review are dumb as fuck anyway.
you don't need to 100% or finish a game to give a review about it at all.
esp with how samey some games are these days.

imagine reviewing diablo 3 when you beat chapter 5. not seeing anything of endgame.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So the most high falutin', hipster-ish games magazine in existence basically cops to the fact that they lack the gumption to actually see a work of genuine major interest like DS through to the end, in order to review it.

It just shows how utterly fucking fraudulent their pretensions of being somehow "better" than other outlets is.

Hostile_18

Banned
People review games without finishing them? Is this a common thing and I'm just super naive about it?

I was surprised ACG didnt finish all his games either (despite the amazing review standard).

I can understand it for remasters or as I mentioned above at least the critical patch should be done with a good slice of side content IMO for new games.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was surprised ACG didnt finish all his games either (despite the amazing review standard).

I can understand it for remasters or as I mentioned above at least the critical patch should be done with a good slice of side content IMO for new games.
At least with ACG he's only one guy and still manages to put in enough substantial detail in his reviews, but these big websites and publications just seem lazy as a result.

Freeman76

This sounds so fucking wrong. Does that mean they would release the review without finishing the game if they had the opportunity?
Fucking gross.

Lol learn to read between the lines. The guy is saying he got bored and didnt want to finish the game, so hasnt reviewed it. Half of you go off on some stupid tangent and miss the entire point. At least the guy hasnt released some bullshit review just because he has to.

Last edited:

Breakage

Wait are Edge saying it's so deep and interesting that they need more time, or is it so bad that Edge don't care about reviewing it right now?

Edit: just clocked the “we ran out of enthusiasm”. Most of Kojima's games have reviewed favourably in Edge. I honestly thought Edge would some how end up giving it a 9 or at best an 8. But it sounds like it's gonna get 4 or 5.

Last edited:

Shrap

Seriously? He threw a tantrum because he had to finish the game before reviewing it? I'd just assume a reviewer would do that in the first place, especially for a story driven game with an ending.

Sounds like he was planning to play a couple of hours and then post a full review of a game he hadn't fully seen. Imagine writing a review for the sixth sense but you didn't watch the whole film and missed the twist.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol learn to read between the lines. The guy is saying he got bored and didnt want to finish the game, so hasnt reviewed it. Half of you go off on some stupid tangent and miss the entire point. At least the guy hasnt released some bullshit review just because he has to.

The point is boredom is no fucking excuse for not doing the job. Its not like he's being forced to work on the front-lines and being placed in peril! This lazy slob literally tapped-out on playing a game even though that's what he's a supposed professional at doing.

Kadayi

Banned
Listened to a bit of the GB beastcast earlier on (for what turned out to be 5 minutes of them meandering about Disco Elysium confused about how storytelling works) and they spent a good half an hour just shitting on Death Stranding from a great height.

They likened it to post apoc truck simulator without the truck.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned

But it's his job to review the game. People buy the magazine with their hard earned money to see the latest game reviews, especially a release of this size.

We don't have to love every aspect of our jobs, but it's still something we have to do. If he hates it, play it to completion and slap a 2 on the end or whatever. :)

Last edited:

Freeman76

The point is boredom is no fucking excuse for not doing the job. Its not like he's being forced to work on the front-lines and being placed in peril! This lazy slob literally tapped-out on playing a game even though that's what he's a supposed professional at doing.

Ok you carry on being upset by it. I think he is on point, its not like they do this every edition, in fact probably the first time he has ever done this. I would rather no review than some idiot putting a shit score on something for the sake of it, like Stevivors review for example. Thats just me though, im wierd.

ethomaz

Banned
He is paid to finish the review no matter his feelings.

Or he could find another job and not journalism.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ok you carry on being upset by it. I think he is on point, its not like they do this every edition, in fact probably the first time he has ever done this. I would rather no review than some idiot putting a shit score on something for the sake of it, like Stevivors review for example. Thats just me though, im wierd.

I'm not upset by it at all. In fact I'm glad that once again EDGE has proven itself to be the mediocrity hidden behind fancy presentation and a surplus of unearned gravitas, that I've been calling it out for being for years.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a loser. Do your fucking job. Everyone who has worked a single day in their life has done things they didnt have enthusiasm for.

its shocking how pretentiously entitled these journalists can get. a hundred people worked their butts off on a game this douchebag is trashing on twitter without even talking about its failings... you know like you would in a review.

They did review it.
Too shit to finish seems to be the verdict. That's enough for me.

That's certainly a legitimate position to have. You could still spin that into a decent review imo.

There are certainly games that I drop before I'm done nowadays because they're just not good enough. But I always play enough to form a solid opinion that could easily be shared.

Top Bottom