• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge won't be releasing a review of Death Stranding

MilkyJoe

wish i worked at a job where i could just not do my work and tell the boss i ran out of enthusiasm. must be nice to have a job with that kind of privilege.

the fact this jackass can't even do a job he is being paid for tells me more about the game than his review ever could.

He did his job perfectly, he told the truth, saving countless people time and money, from this absolute turd. Or would you prefer he said it was amazing, so you can feel better about your purchase? 😂

In a way he still gave it a review. He said its so terrible the shits unworthy of him playing even further lol.

First Kojima game where I had no interest..and I felt this way for over a year now.

So if a game has a plot twist near the end, that also introduces changes in mechanics and gameplay that could affect the final review score (for better or worse) , reviewers will completely miss it. How can they justify their review after that?

If the game kills you with sheer boredom before you reach the end, how could anything introduced there change your score? If the game is so bad you can't make it to the end, that's that. That's your review.

Honestly, I like what Edge did here. They clearly didn't have it in them to review this one with any modicum of objectivity, so they backed out of it instead of saying it sucked ass. Not every website/magazine should review everything, in fact if you don't feel like you're able to do the game justice one way or another it's always better to just let it go and review something else.

Petrae

In a way he still gave it a review. He said its so terrible the shits unworthy of him playing even further lol.

First Kojima game where I had no interest..and I felt this way for over a year now.

This is my point, too. He doesn’t have to write 500 to 1000 words and assign a number to review what he played. The review is in the fact that he couldn’t bring himself to finish it. It’s the struggle of the purportedly boring/droll/tedious gameplay and hammy narrative combining to weigh down the reviewer and eventually forcing him to tap out.

I consider it as a review, valuable in making any kind of buying decision. I’m not the walking simulator type, as I find them to be dull. Narrative is important to a point, but if I want to watch a movie, I’ll watch a movie; it’s cheaper than $60 plus tax.

That’s not at all to say that the game shouldn’t have been made or that it shouldn’t have its audience— but it sure as shit isn’t made for players like me.

Last edited:

FranXico

He did his job perfectly, he told the truth, saving countless people time and money, from this absolute turd. Or would you prefer he said it was amazing, so you can feel better about your purchase? 😂
Well he seems to have said what YOU wanted to hear. Do you feel good about yourself watching this game fail?

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Well he seems to have said what YOU wanted to hear. Do you feel good about yourself watching this game fail?

Well I think the bloke is an overrated, despicable pervert, and it makes me laugh to see him bought down a peg or two, so... sure 👍🏻

MagnesG

Banned
He didn't release a review for gods sake, that's the whole point. Is it that hard to comprehend the reason behind this?

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have a feeling this is gonna drop as fast as Control did. There's been no talk of outstanding preorder numbers nor is there really any buzz beyond kojima gimmick online personalities.
What was Control even about? I heard nothing about it before the thread here complaining that the main character looked like a man.

That's certainly a legitimate position to have. You could still spin that into a decent review imo.

There are certainly games that I drop before I'm done nowadays because they're just not good enough. But I always play enough to form a solid opinion that could easily be shared.
Small problem with that...there is a stipulation in the agreement which means they aren't allowed to publish a review without finishing it. People are spinning it like this is him not doing his job, in reality this is KojiPro and Sony putting dumbass restrictions on the reviewers. They shouldn't require him to finish it, if he thinks it's shit now his opinion is unlikely to change just because he saw it to completetion. He should want to finish it...and the fact that he doesn't is all the review I need.

Otterz4Life

Fanboys should be rejoicing. This would have just pushed the meta lower.

Papa Sony: “Finish your peas this game or you can’t have dessert publish a review!”

If any other publisher did this....

...there is a stipulation in the agreement which means they aren't allowed to publish a review without finishing it...

Oh, I didn't know that. But yes, not wanting to finish a game is certainly indictment enough and qualifies as a legitimate opinion imo.

However, I wouldn't base my own decision to play the game on this single view, and Kojima has earned enough credibility with me to warrant playing this regardless of critical (or user) reception. My curiosity is too great.

If it ends up being disappointing and things just feel like they've gone off the rails creatively, I will take that to be a reflection that Kojima needs (and has benefited previously) to have some reins placed upon him to limit and focus his freedom of expression, and that he may be his own worst enemy. (I haven't read a single review, and I don't intend to, fwiw.)

Otterz4Life

What was Control even about? I heard nothing about it before the thread here complaining that the main character looked like a man.
Control is about a girl with supernatural abilities that travels to a secret building to find her brother who’s been kidnapped by a governmental agency that studies supernatural phenomena. The agency is taken over by a interdimensional force and you have to stop it to find your brother.

Its basically a 3D Metroidvania.

Easily my GotY, maybe my GotG.

Enjay

Banned
*shrug* I only knew of it as the game being made by the people who made Max Payne just like I only know this game as being made by the one guy who claims to have made metal gear all by himself.

ethomaz

Banned
*shrug* I only knew of it as the game being made by the people who made Max Payne just like I only know this game as being made by the one guy who claims to have made metal gear all by himself.
Control is for best or worst the multiplatform version of Quantum Break.
You can think like the Dark Souls version of Demon's Souls... the difference being that Demon's Souls was a better game than Dark Souls while I can't say the same about Control... I believe both games Control and Quantum Break are tied.

imsosleepy

Don't give two shits about Kojima or Death Stranding but fuck Edge magazine. Below is why -

"because the embargo insisted we finish the game before we could review it"

Well, DUH. What the fuck? Seriously, fuck all the sites/magazines/youtubers who in general review games but don't actually finish the game. They can all fuck off.
and its not like they gave them only a few days. sony provides the review copies more then 2 weeks in advance

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Edge doesnt have the Balls to Write down the truth and destroy the Game.

Pussies
Amazing since DF has no problem telling the world one game is better on console A vs console B due to a 0.4 fps improvement during 5% of the gameplay.

Yet for the most high profile game released lately, they somehow cant put up a review.

ph33rknot

Banned
Shit is still unprofessional, and unfair to their readers for anyone who was interested or had high expectations in the game. Giving the reason “It’s too boring to play to review” is bullshit. It’s his job.
He said it sucks skip it

Guys, I have great news! My reviews of TLOU2 and Elden Ring are complete, I'm just waiting for the embargo date to publish them!
It's great not having to play games to review them! :messenger_poop:
Nathan Brown has played infinitely more of Death Stranding than you have of TLoU2 and Elden Ring, he just didn't finish it...and he doesn't need to to know he thinks it's shit.

Barakov

JWgBYlZ.png

Ar¢tos

Nathan Brown has played infinitely more of Death Stranding than you have of TLoU2 and Elden Ring, he just didn't finish it...and he doesn't need to to know he thinks it's shit.
I know he has... I'm joking with the future of gaming journalism... Wasn't it obvious? There is even a turd emoji to mark that it is a shitpost!

Neolombax

What an entitled whiny person this is. This person is being paid to do reviews, and wont do it because he hates it? I would think a lot of us here do jobs were not entirely enthused about but we do it anyway because its the fuckin job!

FMXVII

Although the point is these people are PAID to see these things through. It’s not just a hobby when you get paid.

I have to do things I dislike in my job; but that’s part of the very nature of work, not free fun time.

I think that if you were a building inspector, and after pulling your feet from the collapsing porch floor a few times and having to push the front door off you, and barely dodging getting blinded by sparks as you flicked on the entryway lights, you wouldn't necessarily NEED to make the attempt at inspecting the glorious bed and breakfast layout of the 3rd floor.

You've seen enough.

Call me crazy if you will, but I think that would be an auto fail.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think that if you were a building inspector, and after pulling your feet from the collapsing porch floor a few times and having to push the front door off you, and barely dodging getting blinded by sparks as you flicked on the entryway lights, you wouldn't necessarily NEED to make the attempt at inspecting the glorious bed and breakfast layout of the 3rd floor.

You've seen enough.

Call me crazy if you will, but I think that would be an auto fail.
He has still to continue the inspection because his report has to fill everything irregular in the building.

While I believe a review can be subjective an inspection should not be, it requires to be objective.

Last edited:
I worry about future reviews from Edge. This reviewer may not like the story aspects or gameplay aspects of Death Stranding but I feel he should finish the game for the sake of giving at least a technical review of what Death Stranding has to offer ( FPS, glitches, game breaking bugs, etc.).

The issue I have is if he was giving no embargo for completion and the game had a bug near the end that crashed your game repeatedly when you reached a certain point or deleted your save how could he honestly with integrity post a review without giving the reader all the necessary information if he didn't finish it? For anyone who's ever played Skyrim on the PS3 you know that by the end of that game that frame rate dropped to what seemed like single digits do to it leaking data. Making it literally unplayable unless you start the game over again.

If Bethesda had an embargo that forced people to finish a game like Skyrim then we would have all read about that shit before the game released instead we make a $60 purchase and we find out through forums that the game is fucked up but that's only after some of us spend what roughly 80 to 100 hours playing?

And on the opposite side, what if there was something so magnificent at the end that you missed it? I couldn't imagine being asked to review a game like Journey and not being able to finish it to see that ending. After reading this guy's tweets I don't want to hear or read another journalist in the gaming industry talk about how professional or how hard they're fucking job is.

And they wonder why people go to YouTube for gaming reviews and news. I thought a reviewers job was to give as much information as they possibly could to the consumer so that the consumer can make it logical decision on a potential purchase. Instead we're supposed to take this guy's future review seriously when he was given a week or two weeks to review a game that he couldn't finish it because he's a fucking pussy and couldn't handle how the game played.

This shit makes me wish the game industry would fucking crash because these people would be the first ones off the Golden gate bridge.

Last edited:

FMXVII

He has still to continue the inspection because his report has to fill everything irregular in the building.

While I believe a review can be subjective an inspection should not be, it requires to be objective.

Sigh.

If the first floor is structurally so unsound as to be life-threatening, it is his duty not to proceed further, and not risk his very life.

It is a very simple concept.

Even OSHA would call you pedantic in your being objectively wrong on this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This shit makes me wish the game industry would fucking crash because these people would be the first ones off the Golden gate bridge.
It sucks, but that's how most media outlets are. Funded by ads, pressured by advertisers, and for gaming it's a buddy-buddy system of free swag, early copies for review, banner ads, and a circle jerk of chuminess.

And it gets worse if the media outlet has no revenue source except website ads, and relying on handouts from suppliers.

On the other hand, a company like Consumer Reports, reviews products with no ads, buys all it's own products for testing, and is a non-profit org, and I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit about maximizing twitter subs or YT likes.

Too bad, well never get any gaming site with the same ethics as CR.

Consumer Reports' flagship website and magazine publishes reviews and comparisons of consumer products and services based on reporting and results from its in-house testing laboratory and survey research center. CR accepts no advertising, pays for all the products it tests, and as a nonprofit organization has no shareholders. It also publishes general and targeted product/service buying guides.

ethomaz

Banned
Sigh.

If the first floor is structurally so unsound as to be life-threatening, it is his duty not to proceed further, and not risk his very life.

It is a very simple concept.

Even OSHA would call you pedantic in your being objectively wrong on this.
I believe you have no ideia how inspection works.

Plus from what people says about Death Stranding there is no structural unsound... the game is pretty solid.

Last edited:

FMXVII

I believe you have no ideia how inspection works.

Plus from what people says about Death Stranding there is no structural unsound... the game is pretty solid.

I believe you have no idea how safety works.

The game is so solid that Kojima qualified it as probably sucking for the first half, a month out from release.

Hold onto your dream of it being a good game.

Your tears will wash your hands of what remains, as that dream slips away like so much grasped sand.

FranXico

If Bethesda had an embargo that forced people to finish a game like Skyrim then we would have all read about that shit before the game released instead we make a $60 purchase and we find out through forums that the game is fucked up but that's only after some of us spend what roughly 80 to 100 hours playing?
No, chances are very high that everybody was reviewing the game on the 360 back then. So, nobody would have known.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe you have no idea how safety works.

The game is so solid that Kojima qualified it as probably sucking for the first half, a month out from release.

Hold onto your dream of it being a good game.

Your tears will wash your hands of what remains, as that dream slips away like so much grasped sand.
OMG what I read right now lol

It is fine... you already set the game dead before release even with most of the evidences saying the opposite.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Lol.

It's cool man. :)

And it's fine.

...like the meme. ;)
I have no ideia what shit are you talking about :goog_rolleyes:

If you already set the game doom before release or play it then it is one you... not me.

I'm pretty interested in the game from the reviews.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I haven't read a copy of Edge since the 90's
Either way based on reviews good and bad, there are far worse games that have been reviewed most likely by the same person so....
What's the problem?

FMXVII

Nah the game seems really interesting... I can't remember the last time a game had that vibe... maybe Demon's Souls.

I am currently enjoying my first playthrough of Bloodborne.

So I can definitely relate to that feeling, if not the game that is precipitating it in you.

Phase

Cool to see a reviewer out in the open about wanting to keep his connections with game's companies intact. Really stand up move, pushing aside integrity for self-interest. (y)

Top Bottom