• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge won't be releasing a review of Death Stranding

HeresJohnny

They played over 20 hours of Fallout 76 and stated outright on video that they will not review the game.
So I find myself bemused when people blowtorch Edge magazine for basically the same thing just because Kojima's name is on the credits.

I can't stand to listen to them prattle on to verify it for myself, but wasn't Fallout basically broken upon release, whereas Death Stranding sounds like a functional game that some may just find extremely unfun?

FranXico

I can't stand to listen to them prattle on to verify it for myself, but wasn't Fallout basically broken upon release, whereas Death Stranding sounds like a functional game that some may just find extremely unfun?
Yes, Fallout 76s issue was not that it was boring (which many people did think), but that it was completely broken and unplayable. More Bethesda than Bethesda has ever been before.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

He played it for forty hours...he was also bored as hell, so forcing yourself through a slog takes a while. I can see his point.
Having a job to do is difficult sometimes. I wish I could say, "Fuck this shit" every time I got bored with some task I have to do at work. How entitled are these writers to think they only have to do their job when it suits them? Don't they realize they are supposed to be providing a service to their readers instead of playing these games for their own personal reasons?

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Yes, Fallout 76s issue was not that it was boring (which many people did think), but that it was completely broken and unplayable. More Bethesda than Bethesda has ever been before.
In that case, it's an entirely different issue, since a broken game essentially can't be played, while one simply doesn't want to play one that isn't fun.

I will say that the gaming press has brought the issues like Fallout 76 on itself as well for playing ball with companies releasing incomplete games with the promise of fixing them in the coming weeks. No. You ship your game right or it gets reviewed in its present state with no revision down the line. In this case, GB's head was in the right place, but they fucked up in the same way that Edge did by refusing to review it. They should've got to the first game breaking bug, taken video of it so they had proof of it, and promptly gave the game a 0 and refused to revisit the game in the future. They are supposed to be looking at it the same way someone who just dropped $60 on the game would, and I don't think most review sites look through this lens very often anymore, if at all.

Last edited:

yoyo67

Having a job to do is difficult sometimes. I wish I could say, "Fuck this shit" every time I got bored with some task I have to do at work. How entitled are these writers to think they only have to do their job when it suits them? Don't they realize they are supposed to be providing a service to their readers instead of playing these games for their own personal reasons?
If they had a boss that was a micromanager and wanted things reviewed then it would be reviewed. I know how you feel , but in the workplace people will do what is asked and nothing more.

brian0057

Banned
Does it matter? They both didn't like what they were playing so they refused to review it. And even then Edge wrote a preview for it without a score, so they did a better job than Giant Bomb.

HeresJohnny

If they had a boss that was a micromanager and wanted things reviewed then it would be reviewed. I know how you feel , but in the workplace people will do what is asked and nothing more.
I'm not opposed to blaming management for it happening either. Either way, Edge as a company failed to do what it should have done.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Eh, I get what you mean, but don't force yourself to play anything that you don't enjoy. And don't think of ten bucks as more valuable than thirty hours of your time!
If I don't do that, I end up playing 1 or 2 games a year. The older I get the less interest I have in games, and i would like to keep gaming, it's sort of a link to my childhood.
My issue is not lack of free time, I care for a disabled person, so I'm in front of a TV most of the time (2 TVs, one for him and next to it for me, that lately has been used just for Netflix).
Maybe PSVR2 can stir things up when it is released (I skipped psvr because it's not decent quality yet).

HeresJohnny

Does it matter? They both didn't like what they were playing so they refused to review it. And even then Edge wrote a preview for it without a score, so they did a better job than Giant Bomb.
Surely you can see the difference between trying to play a game that doesn't work and a game that isn't fun to play. To me there's a huge difference.

Now, Giant Bomb refusing to review Kingdom Come because it made their little SJW vaginas sore is worse than what Edge did, because they refused to even play the game to form an opinion at all to begin with, which showed a complete lack of respect towards their readers. I think this is illustrates more of an overall issue in the gaming media itself than it being just an Edge issue or a GB issue. They've got it all backwards; what they want comes first, and what the reader wants or deserves is secondary.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Surely you can see the difference between trying to play a game that doesn't work and a game that isn't fun to play. To me there's a huge difference.
What is this self-evident difference you're talking about? Because I don't see it.
Fallout 76 was a broken piece of shit so Giant Bomb didn't review it.
Death Stranding was a boring piece of shit so Edge didn't review it.
Either way, both hated the game they were playing and both of them refused to review it.

And, once again, people called out Giant Bomb for refusing to review, or even play, Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Edge Magazine actually played the game ( a lot of it, apparently) and told you what they thought if it.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

What is this self-evident difference you're talking about? Because I don't see it.
Fallout 76 was a broken piece of shit so Giant Bomb didn't review it.
Death Stranding was a boring piece of shit so Edge didn't review it.
Either way, both hated the game they were playing and both of them refused to review it.

And, once again, people called out Giant Bomb for refusing to review, or even play, Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Edge Magazine actually played the game ( a lot of it, apparently) and told you what they thought if it.
Because one CAN be played while the other CANNOT. There isn't much of a choice of whether to play a broken game; it doesn't work. There is very much a choice to play or not play a game one doesn't like but is otherwise functional.

thelastword

Banned
Edge is no longer edgey as before...…..if anything EDGE is now on the edge.....

Last gen, EDGE was revered, people anticipated their reviews because they embraced new and innovative experiences...….This gen, EDGE no longer carries that awe or reverence....."oooh an edge review"......This reviewer with his tweets has just sunk edge many depths below where they used to be, I'm not sure they will recover from there.....This is the most unprofessional BS I've read from a reviewer or publication, the easiest way for anyone to lose respect for a review house...…...Bashing a game and trying to defend his right to put a score on it when he didn't finish it......If you don't want to play games, you have no right to review them...……..

Career suicide right there from this guy and he definitely put EDGE under the bus, if this is his attitude, then perhaps people will begin to question the respect they had for EDGE all along, if they really didn't finish their games.…….Be careful what you say on twitter, you edgy kids.....

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Edge is no longer edgey as before...…..if anything EDGE is now on the edge.....

Last gen, EDGE was revered, people anticipated their reviews because they embraced new and innovative experiences...….This gen, EDGE no longer carries that awe or reverence....."oooh an edge review"......This reviewer with his tweets has just sunk edge many depths below where they used to be, I'm not sure they will recover from there.....This is the most unprofessional BS I've read from a reviewer or publication, the easiest way for anyone to lose respect for a review house...…...Bashing a game and trying to defend his right to put a score on it when he didn't finish it......If you don't want to play games, you have no right to review them...……..

Career suicide right there from this guy and he definitely put EDGE under the bus, if this is his attitude, then perhaps people will begin to question the respect they had for EDGE all along, if they really didn't finish their games.…….Be careful what you say on twitter, you edgy kids.....

People look to Edge now to see whether they’ll boost or tank an overall score, due to the weight they’re given on Metacritic.

That’s what it has regressed to.

thelastword

Banned
People look to Edge now to see whether they’ll boost or tank an overall score, due to the weight they’re given on Metacritic.

Yeah, I imagine that's what it is, seeing that some folk here were so happy when big boy IGN tanked the score because of their weight......So they are happy EDGE is not enthused either, because that will tank the score too......I guess they are pretty disappointed with Gamespot's positive score and perhaps are waiting to get a gist of what the other heavy weight on Meta (Giant Bomb) is going to give it......

I personally have not read a review in years...…..I know the games I want to play....Its simply buy or no buy for me or wait on a sale......Death Stranding is a buy for me.....I was stoked from day 1......

Aramil46

Neo Member
I didn't think Edge, like all printed gaming magazines, were even relevant anymore.

This nonsense from the editor is typically pretentious of Edge.

FMXVII

You’re continuing to compare what Edge implied is a boring game with a situation that endangers life; you’re exaggerating so much to make a point that the point itself is meaningless.

IF Death Stranding had technical issues that threatened the safety of the console- burning out the graphics card, bricking the console, data corruption etc- then your comparison would be valid.

They made no mention of that however.

Sigh.

Just let me know where you want the goal posts.

ethomaz

Banned
They played over 20 hours of Fallout 76 and stated outright on video that they will not review the game.
So I find myself bemused when people blowtorch Edge magazine for basically the same thing with the only difference being that Kojima's name is on the credits.

That is ridiculous.

Thank God I never watched any review from them.

If you are professional and get a bad game review you do the job to show in a review why the game is bad lol

Last edited:

FranXico

Some people are so petty that they just want to see every Sony published game fail. I guess it's because the games they have to play are not entertaining enough, ironically? ;)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know, I still think a media outlet like Edge should still deliver a review. If one person can't finish it or refuse to review it then it should be passed onto someone else.
Hell I remember when multiple opinions was in reviews to get a different take.
And this is for the simple reason that different people have different opinions.
I mean I get it, it would be exactly my opinion on Skyrim.
But I'd let my editor know that I'm probably not the best person to review the game as I know some would like that stuff.
Instead we have this when the opinion of one person is the view of the whole magazine and actually gives the impression the game is worse then it could possibly be.
Does Kojima name make it any different to any other game?
No it shouldn't and it never has.
His games have always been of high quality and MGSPW & MGSV is probably his weakest releases.
But we know there are people who say his games are overrated because they hate Kojima, probably because the praise he has.
We've seen peoples opinions in this thread and before the reviews landed.
Kojima is hack, none of his games are games, just movies Etc.
The guy at Edge probably has the same opinion.
He is probably this guy

I prefer multiple opinions to get a better picture.
But this sort of thing I disgard because no way as evident by other reviews the game is that bad it is unreviewable unless the reviewer has a problem in the first place.

I personally think Kojima lost it with MGSPW and MGSV.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know, I still think a media outlet like Edge should still deliver a review. If one person can't finish it or refuse to review it then it should be passed onto someone else.
Hell I remember when multiple opinions was in reviews to get a different take.
And this is for the simple reason that different people have different opinions.
I'd prefer this approach too.

One game reviewed = 2-3 people reviewing it. Hardcore fan, casual fan, and perhaps toss in a gamer who is more of a tech geek analyzer who prefers to go over tech spec issues than writing paragraphs of storyline details.

I don't need DF levels of pixel counting or knowing if the lamp on the wall is giving real time reflections, but when I read reviews, I like to know things like res and frame rate at a minimum level of information, and even basic shit like number of game save slots. Not all reviewers go through this.

What happened is media outlets seem to have decided that churning out more game reviews by a single reviewer than fewer games played covered by multiple reviewers is more lucrative.

Last edited:

Fake

Metacritic play a huge role in this score culture bs.
Even worst with that stupid ideia of putting a badge 'must play' for games above 90 score.
Imagine ignoring Spider-man just because is not a 90 game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why is this news? The reviewer didnt' like the game nor did they finish it so why review it? Should we also lambast them for not reviewing the other hundreds of games they don't review?

ethomaz

Banned

One game reviewed = 2-3 people reviewing it. Hardcore fan, casual fan, and perhaps toss in a gamer who is more of a tech geek analyzer who prefers to go over tech spec issues than writing paragraphs of storyline details.

I don't need DF levels of pixel counting or knowing if the lamp on the wall is giving real time reflections, but when I read reviews, I like to know things like res and frame rate at a minimum level of information, and even basic shit like number of game save slots. Not all reviewers go through this.

What happened is media outlets seem to have decided that churning out more game reviews by a single reviewer than fewer games played covered by multiple reviewers is more lucrative.
I can agree with that.
Famitsu is like that but they a series of others biased issues.

Birdo

Banned
Why is this news? The reviewer didnt' like the game nor did they finish it so why review it? Should we also lambast them for not reviewing the other hundreds of games they don't review?

It's kind of his job, though.....

Imagine saying to your boss "I can't force myself to complete this boring task I'm paid to do, so I'm just not going to bother".

I hope that one day I get myself such a privileged job.

Even worst with that stupid ideia of putting a badge 'must play' for games above 90 score.

This is a very moronic tweet because it ignores a lot of games that got very close to that 90 score, like DMC5, Apex Legends, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2, probably others I'm forgetting. 90 isn't a magical number that separates good stuff from shit.

Fake

This is a very moronic tweet because it ignores a lot of games that got very close to that 90 score, like DMC5, Apex Legends, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Mario Maker 2, probably others I'm forgetting. 90 isn't a magical number that separates good stuff from shit.
Wellcome to the future. Just want to play >90 games...

ROMhack

Imagine saying to your boss "I can't force myself to complete this boring task I'm paid to do, so I'm just not going to bother".

It's not though. He's the editor which means he actually dictates what gets written and what doesn't.

Basically, he is the boss!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

He is the editor. he decides what gets written and what doesn't.

Again, how many games do they decide not to review? Why is it *this* one that is the issue?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

While that would be nice, we have seen plenty of review groups try that and they are... not the best. Famitsu is one of the biggest and they are as big of a joke as Kotaku, Polygon, or IGN in terms of their reviews.

Otterz4Life

It’s news because Sony required outlets to finish the game before they were allowed to publish a review. If they couldn’t stomach playing to completion, they weren’t allowed to impact the score. It’s a complete affront to the first amendment.

Stuart360

Dont really like this tweet as it implies only things over 90 on Meta are good games, somehting that is hard to get on Meta (90+). So many amazing games in the 80+ range, even in the 70+ range.
Really wish reviews went back to the old system of -
1-3 = terrible
4-5 = unperpar
6 = Decent but heavily flawed
7 = Good but has issues
8 = Very good
9 = Great
10 = Amazing.

ROMhack

Dont really like this tweet as it implies only things over 90 on Meta are good games, somehting that is hard to get on Meta (90+). So many amazing games in the 80+ range, even in the 70+ range.
Really wish reviews went back to the old system of -
1-3 = terrible
4-5 = unperpar
6 = Decent but heavily flawed
7 = Good but has issues
8 = Very good
9 = Great
10 = Amazing.

I think if they just used a 5-point scale they'd stop all this nonsense. 10-point scales have got out of hand - too much baggage, too much bad coverage if a game gets less than 7.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Death Stranding is one of the most anticipated games of the year, by one of the most celebrated game directors :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Don't worry though. They reviewed The Bradwell Conspiracy.

You have unironically peaked my interest in their review of that. Looks like my jam.

Music by Austin Wintory :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:
Top Bottom