• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge won't be releasing a review of Death Stranding

Verchod

"Its a Kojima game so it must be bad, because having a track record of good games means i dislike him to be edgy"
I like what I like. It doesn't change to satisfy or antagonize others. I neither dislike or like him or his work. It's a style that doesn't interest me.

I have read people being annoyed at others for the idea of not liking this new game of kojima's. Some people seem certain it'll be great because it's him.

burningheart

Neo Member
Sigh.

Just let me know where you want the goal posts.
“They are paid to review a game, and should finish it before they release a review of it.”

Pretty clear to me. You were the one shifting goalposts with an extreme-to-the-point-of-irrelevance analogy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have a feeling like people are going to run circles around this game and someone is going to find ways to finish it super fast. I feel like it shows their incompetence more than it shows them as some superior critic.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm not really sure why people are having trouble understanding this.

It's his job to finish the game.
What about all those games that shit the bed in their endings and ruin the game for a lot of people? You almost never hear about those in reviews and now I know why..

Also that comparison to a food critic is utter shite. A more apt comparison would be comparing it to a movie critic or a book critic where I can assure you they are required to finish the damn thing before reviewing it.

You want games to be taken seriously as art.. complete it before you comment on it.
Bullshit
Go finish any random ubi soft game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would if I was paid to do it.

Just finish the main quest you don't have to 100% it for fucks sake..
Dude i never finished a single modern open world ubisoft games.
After 25 hours to 30 i am done.

I imagine dead stranding to be pretty samey and at a certain point it def is ok to write a review.
Yall acting like this dude played the game for 5 min. Then ragequit.

I will prolly get DS when there is a sale.
But i am afraid of how diverse this game actually is. And frustrating with that QWOP stuff

mcjmetroid

Dude i never finished a single modern open world ubisoft games.
After 25 hours to 30 i am done.

I imagine dead stranding to be pretty samey and at a certain point it def is ok to write a review.
Yall acting like this dude played the game for 5 min. Then ragequit.

I will prolly get DS when there is a sale.
But i am afraid of how diverse this game actually is. And frustrating with that QWOP stuff
Ya but again you're not paid to finish these games, it's completely up to you whether you're bored and want to stop.

Even the death stranding IGN review as negative as it was said the game changes it's style about halfway through when it gets to a snow location. It's also a Kojima game you have absolutely no idea what to expect from him gameplay wise.

The other argument in general I'll make here is games like Mass Effect 3 which had an ending that tanked the game for a lot of people and Metal Gear Solid 5 as well and that game kept getting 10s but no mention of the poor ending that I could find.. literally an unfinished ending. Did reviewers play these games through?

I'm not saying Death Stranding is gonna be good, I'm fairly sure I'll hate it based on what I've seen but this is more about the reviewer needing to finish at least the main quest of a game to review it. If they cannot do that then gaming reviews are not fit for purpose.

While I appreciate the honesty of EDGE, it's concerning that if a magazine can't find the time to finish a game on time what hope do websites have when they need to publish game reviews on the hour the embargo lifts.

And if they don't finish it? How far do they even play the game?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I suppose the three pages they would have used for the review they can use up on another spunkfest on how good breath of the wild is.

tassletine

They had 2 weeks.

The clearly says he run out of enthusiasms and could not finish the game.
The issue is that he is paid to finish and review the game.

I hate hour reports, it is boring, take a lot of your time, and I'm asked to do them every month... I'm paid for that... everything in my job I love it (IT) but the hour reports well these are a hell.
Can I choose to not do my hour reports? Yes if I want to not be paid or get fired.

So to put what to eat in my children' mouths I had to do every month these hours reports.
I felt every time demotivated and without enthusiasm but it is critical part of my job and I'm paid to do them.

The tweets just shows how unprofessional this guy is.
Edge should apply some disciplinary action over him.

He's not paid to do that actually. He's paid to write.
Articles get cancelled the whole time. People work in tandem in a company, if you have no experience of that. This would have been an editorial decision.

ethomaz

Banned
He's not paid to do that actually. He's paid to write.
Articles get cancelled the whole time. People work in tandem in a company, if you have no experience of that. This would have been an editorial decision.
Excuses for unprofessionalism lol

Why all the fuss? They reviewed the game without a score to prevent breaching the embargo. The reviewer did not want to waste another 20 hours of his life playing a game he considered to be rubbish. Good for him.

Life

Ironically, this could turn out to be the best review of the game. Or maybe they'll review it when the dead open-world is finally teeming with life (roads, ladders, junk, and shit) due to the playerbase sharing things?

ethomaz

Banned
He is the editor of the magazine and therefore can decide what they publish. He clearly thinks the game is shit and not willing to invest another 20 hours on top of the hefty 40 hours he invested in order to meet the rather arcane embargo criteria.
Being editor of the magazine just make it more unprofessional.
He has to give the example, have a high standard with more responsibility.

It is your job to review games no matter if it is bad or good... or if you are feeling enthusiastic or not.

Like somebody said before he is not a journalist but a blogger... so I never expected Edge's quality to be that low... maybe it is me that have put Edge in a high standard.

Last edited:
When I first read this story I was honestly stunned. Never heard of anything similar. I mean, one thing is to get bad scores but for reputable reviewer to ditch it few hours in because it was so unbearable, that’s ultimate humiliation for Kojima.

It reminded me of this book we had to read in school of our well-known writer. First time in my life, I couldn’t do it, it was so unbearably dull. Much of the class agreed basically so I at least felt better.

I can’t imagine someone not being payed for it, going through this slog of a game.

MagnesG

Banned
I mean, one thing is to get bad scores but for reputable reviewer to ditch it few hours in because it was so unbearable, that’s ultimate humiliation for Kojima.
For the record though, he played a substantial amount of the game, about 40 hours before stopping.

brian0057

Banned
And he could not complete it before 40 hours?

:messenger_smirking: :messenger_ok:
He totally could have. He just didn't want to.
"Print deadline was a factor, but we ran out of enthusiasm long before we ran out of time."
Hence why they're releasing a score-less preview instead of a full review.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He totally could have. He just didn't want to.
"Print deadline was a factor, but we ran out of enthusiasm long before we ran out of time."
Hence why they're releasing a score-less preview instead of a full review.

Why did one spend 40 hours not progressing through the story?

Sounds like either BS, or self inflicted masochism.

Last edited:

Paltheos

That is one stupid embargo.

It seems pretty fair imo. If you're being provided a copy of a product before release date, you should at least finish it before providing a verdict... is what I want to say, but the shit realities we live in of being the first out of a barn to maximize clicks (not to mention the sheer amount of content out there) complicates matters.

For better or for worse this is on Kojima's production team.

I imagine this is tougher in general for a print magazine. Online you can just release whenever.

ethomaz

Banned
It seems pretty fair imo. If you're being provided a copy of a product before release date, you should at least finish it before providing a verdict... is what I want to say, but the shit realities we live in of being the first out of a barn to maximize clicks (not to mention the sheer amount of content out there) complicates matters.

For better or for worse this is on Kojima's production team.

I imagine this is tougher in general for a print magazine. Online you can just release whenever.
The reviewers copies reached the "reviewers" 3 weeks before the embargo ends.

DonF

imagine this level of journalism in another field.

"that conference was too boring, I left midway and I refuse to report what was spoken, something about taxes"

"yeah the match was uninteresting... I went for a hot dog halftime and never bothered to go back"

unprofessional

Mozza

To be fair, if a game is shit the last act is unlikely to save it or change the reviewers opinion. Not feeling like finishing a game is indicative of how good/bad it actually is. The great games make you want to finish them.

I’m with Edge on this one.

Exactly, if the reviewer thought the game was poor and boring after playing a decent amount of it, I can hardly see how the last part would redeem it all that much, and I feel it's a silly embargo in the first place, almost like the developers themselves had some issue with the games structure in some way.

Javthusiast

Banned
Edge also won't be releasing magazines in the near future so who cares, one less angry review to drag the score down, lol.

thelastword

Banned
Or stupid limitations placed on reviewers by a pretentious developer. ;)
So if CNN sends you to cover a Trump briefing, you will come back to them and say he is too boring, you couldn't slog it, he was too full of himself and besides you hate Trump, so you left mid conference?

What a world, we live..... This thread is ripe with potential employees you want to avoid like a plague..... There should be, "a do not recruit sign" posted here....

Mozza

So if CNN sends you to cover a Trump briefing, you will come back to them and say he is too boring, you couldn't slog it, he was too full of himself and besides you hate Trump, so you left mid conference?

What a world, we live..... This thread is ripe with potential employees you want to avoid like a plague..... There should be, "a do not recruit sign" posted here....

Sweeping statement based on no personal knowledge of anybody on here, and to be honest review embargo's are a shady practice in the first instance, a developer with a good game should not fear a reviewer playing all or part of a game, the quality of a good product will always shine through, I personally applaud any reviewer that does not wan't to dance to a developers embargo whims.

thelastword

Banned
Sweeping statement based on no personal knowledge of anybody on here, and to be honest review embargo's are a shady practice in the first instance, a developer with a good game should not fear a reviewer playing all or part of a game, the quality of a good product will always shine through, I personally applaud any reviewer that does not wan't to dance to a developers embargo whims.
Well tbh, no one knows anyone here personally...…..We judge and respond based on what is written and the thoughts and ideologies expressed......

In no way can I see someone not finishing their work and complaining endlessly with this level of entitlement a good character trait,,,,

Hey what do you do?: I review games for a living, it can be really frustrating at times, sometimes I cant even go on....

Guy who cleans/unclogs sewers for a living, stone masons, oil rig drillers: OK, I can see the frustration.., wouldn't want to be you. 🤔

There has to be a cutoff point where you stop investing time in something. Businesses do this all the time.

40 hours is a long time. Long enough to assess the core gameplay, and report on what the experience of playing the game is like.

That said, I didn't realise how terrible Mass Effect 3 really was until the last 30 minutes.

Terenty

When I first read this story I was honestly stunned. Never heard of anything similar. I mean, one thing is to get bad scores but for reputable reviewer to ditch it few hours in because it was so unbearable, that’s ultimate humiliation for Kojima.

What's so humiliating in this? Nobody even knows who this guy is.

Sony should just cease giving this magazine any further codes if they can't be arsed to do their job, that's all

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Games can fall flat as you keep playing, maybe the opposite can happen too, for them to be redeemed by something. They should finish games. Maybe if all MGSV reviewers had finished the game we'd have different final scores, instead it's one of the top rated games ever.

Or just do a preview only for every game they don't finish. They still can write the exact same article just not number it and make it clear they never finished it or never got far. Wasn't it a thing from reviewers, that they didn't wanna just rate shit on scales and have people read their text?

It happens all the time they just want the attention from a big game hence the big announcement of how the game and its creator are so full of shit they won't review it and just make sure to tell us their review of the product is "it's shit" just without calling it a review.

But hey they already told you they think it's super shit so you don't need to buy the issue anyway, lol. But I'm sure they've hooked a lot of people into buying it to see the hard work of that honest reviewer who was forbidden from scoring a big shit game.

Last edited:

DR2K

Banned
Seems like people would rather have had a high score false review. So they can have proof their opinion is the right one.

So anything below an 8 is unprofessional and over 9 is professional. Power of language.

Last edited:
For the record though, he played a substantial amount of the game, about 40 hours before stopping.
Imagine the pain he went through all the way, having committed so much time only to succumb close to the finish line. I honestly feel for the guy, it’s his job after all. Could this be dullest game ever?

I guess only MMO grinding could be worse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The reviewer probably spent 40 hrs of mindnumbing fedex quests than steamrolling through the story.

It's like Skyrim or Fallout.

1. Some people can't be bothered doing the 150 repetitive side quests, so they focus on the main quest which is efficient and can be beaten in probably 20 hrs if you really wanted to.

2. But some people just want to muck around the whole map having fun just discovering new locations and clearing out random buildings or dungeons. And don't give shit about the main quest

Looks like the game reviewer is someone who gets bored easy, but still stuck to doing boring shit, and burned himself out so bad he couldn't even muster the energy to do a review............ OR was a pussy and bailed on giving a shit review in fear of Sony/Kojima repercussions and ad revenue threats.

Either way he bailed ship, in hopes people just blow it over. Tard.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Looks like the game reviewer is someone who gets bored easy, but still stuck to doing boring shit, and burned himself out so bad he couldn't even muster the energy to do a review............ OR was a pussy and bailed on giving a shit review in fear of Sony/Kojima repercussions and ad revenue threats.
He can't review the game, it's the embargo.

Mozza

Well tbh, no one knows anyone here personally...…..We judge and respond based on what is written and the thoughts and ideologies expressed......

In no way can I see someone not finishing their work and complaining endlessly with this level of entitlement a good character trait,,,,

Hey what do you do?: I review games for a living, it can be really frustrating at times, sometimes I cant even go on....

Guy who cleans/unclogs sewers for a living, stone masons, oil rig drillers: OK, I can see the frustration.., wouldn't want to be you. 🤔

Depends on the task in hand, and I do feel this has far more to do with the embargo rather than pure laziness.

Top Bottom