• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge won't be releasing a review of Death Stranding

Mochilador

Go review Cuphead then.
Here in Brazil we had one journo, from a big site, that only finished the first island and made the review.
The review even mentioned the final boss, making comparisons with Dark Souls, but this person didn't even reach the final island!
We only found out about this because the journo's achievements were public. After that the journo made them private.
I wonder how many times they got away doing such things.

ethomaz

Banned
Here in Brazil we had one journo, from a big site, that only finished the first island and made the review.
The review even mentioned the final boss, making comparisons with Dark Souls, but this person didn't even reach the final island!
We only found out about this because the journo's achievements were public. After that the journo made them private.
Looks like watching YouTube to make the review lol

Dane

Cuphead finalboss isn't even THAT hard, in fact, its a consensus that the dragon one is the hardest.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
How many paper gaming magazines still exist? (... And why???)

Future have:

Official PlayStation and Official Xbox (both no doubt heavily subsidised by the companies)
Edge
Retro Gamer
PC Gamer

Why? Not everyone is digital but can’t see Edge and PC Gamer lasting the next 12 months. Retro Gamer is niche and cures the itch for thirty somethings (and older) to relive their childhoods.

You assume his job is simply finishing games.

He's already spent more time with the game than most reviewers do.

Not being prepared to finish the game is actually a very interesting review score.

FranXico

You assume his job is simply finishing games.

He's already spent more time with the game than most reviewers do.

Not being prepared to finish the game is actually a very interesting review score.
He has spent more time than most reviewers, but chose to not finish the game, unlike most reviewers who finished it in less time.

I think it gives interesting insights, on both the game and this reviewer.

Last edited:
He has spent more time than most reviewers, but chose to not finish the game, unlike most reviewers who finished it in less time.

And the Mag !

We all know EDGE isn't scoring the game because of who made it and not looking to upset the readership.

Well yeah, I agree!

He's possibly more familiar with the gameplay than most people that reviewed it, appears not to want to rush a game just to hit the finish line (most gamers don't do this either), but he ultimately hit a wall where he could no longer face the game.

So perhaps the game asks a lot of you, and how much you get back depends on how much you enjoy long jogs and large amounts of repetition with little moment by moment payoff.

His perspective is different than many others, but no less valuable.

And the Mag !

We all know EDGE isn't scoring the game because of who made it and not looking to upset the readership.

Edge has been consistent, as far as I can see, for more than 20 years in both fawning over Nintendo games and being careful with how it manages its approach to Sony, the industry juggernaut. Sega and then Xbox were more likely to be the whipping dogs used to demonstrate their critical credentials.

That's said, this could just be a straightforward case of a reviewer facing a review clause, who got burned out before the finish line. And if so, kudos to the mag for not pressuring someone to lie about having finished the game.

Edge has been consistent, as far as I can see, for more than 20 years in both fawning over Nintendo games and being careful with how it manages its approach to Sony, the industry juggernaut. Sega and then Xbox were more likely to be the whipping dogs used to demonstrate their critical credentials.

That's said, this could just be a straightforward case of a reviewer facing a review clause, who got burned out before the finish line. And if so, kudos to the mag for not pressuring someone to lie about having finished the game.

I've been EDGE from the start and it had a bias, which is ok we all do. Not to score Death Standing is all to do with who made it and deep down we all know it.
EDGE doesn't want to upset the Kojima fanbase by scoring the game 3 out of 10,

Psykodad

Banned
Well yeah, I agree!

He's possibly more familiar with the gameplay than most people that reviewed it, appears not to want to rush a game just to hit the finish line (most gamers don't do this either), but he ultimately hit a wall where he could no longer face the game.

So perhaps the game asks a lot of you, and how much you get back depends on how much you enjoy long jogs and large amounts of repetition with little moment by moment payoff.

His perspective is different than many others, but no less valuable.

Imagine the guy just being incompetent at the game, getting frustrated because he can't progress fast enough leading to his loss of enthusiasm and ranting on twitter to get attention with reviews going online left and right.

Last edited:
Edge is a decent read and by reading the preview, which most people commenting here clearly haven't, they will print a review next month. It's not even all negative, he says it is not fun but has found himself thinking about the game when not playing it but uncertain as to why. He describes the landscape as flat and the main concept of delivering packages as uninteresting as it sounds, regardless of how you sell it. He also uses the term 'We' in the preview which suggests that just more than him has played the game from the magazine and a similar view was reached.

SweetShark

Go review Cuphead then.

To be fair other thing is a game be difficult and learn little by little the way to beat it and another a game so boring and repeatable that makes you to quit cause it is boring as fuck.

I will confess I get really frustrating easily if a game becoming a chore, so O think I will wait to see what the other will say about the game NOT the other reviewers who have perfect scores...

SweetShark

I think Jim Sterling done something similar with FFXIII and ignored the people who mentioned something for his achievements as well. Not sure, I need to check.

Psykodad

Banned
Edge is a decent read and by reading the preview, which most people commenting here clearly haven't, they will print a review next month. It's not even all negative, he says it is not fun but has found himself thinking about the game when not playing it but uncertain as to why. He describes the landscape as flat and the main concept of delivering packages as uninteresting as it sounds, regardless of how you sell it. He also uses the term 'We' in the preview which suggests that just more than him has played the game from the magazine and a similar view was reached.
So, basically I wasn't far off and the reason he is gonna do a review after all is due to the backlash he received over his tweets. Because he made it quite clear that there wasn't going to be a review, but a preview instead.

Using "we" is most likely damage control.

Definitely curious to read his articles, but I'm gonna finish the game myself first before a watch/read any review.

SweetShark

Future have:

Official PlayStation and Official Xbox (both no doubt heavily subsidised by the companies)
Edge
Retro Gamer
PC Gamer

Why? Not everyone is digital but can’t see Edge and PC Gamer lasting the next 12 months. Retro Gamer is niche and cures the itch for thirty somethings (and older) to relive their childhoods.

I buy Edge and Retro Gamer each month.
Both magazines have interesting articles which I think you can find then digitally (only if you buy the digital one obviously).
The last magazine I got is Retro Gamer with a VERY detailed special about the first DOOM, I think around 10 pages.
Worth it.

So, basically I wasn't far off and the reason he is gonna do a review after all is due to the backlash he received over his tweets. Because he made it quite clear that there wasn't going to be a review, but a preview instead.

Using "we" is most likely damage control.

Definitely curious to read his articles, but I'm gonna finish the game myself first before a watch/read any review.

He tweeted this on the 1st November after the magazine had already gone to print as I received my copy on the 2nd as I subscribe. The last paragraph said the review will be next month if they can fathom the will to finish it.

Psykodad

Banned
He tweeted this on the 1st November after the magazine had already gone to print as I received my copy on the 2nd as I subscribe. The last paragraph said the review will be next month if they can fathom the will to finish it.
Sure, but that changes nothing about what I said.

I'm just going to assume he was out for controversy and got what he wanted.

Now people will be anxiously awaiting his review.

ethomaz

Banned
Sure, but that changes nothing about what I said.

I'm just going to assume he was out for controversy and got what he wanted.

Now people will be anxiously awaiting his review.
So it was after all planned by the unprofessional "journalist"?

Have you read the article or just the tweet? It's a nicely written piece on DS. Whether his opinion and his throw away comments are justified we will only know once the game is released. I have seen somebody in another thread saying that they have played 9 hours and not sure what to think of the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Have you read the article or just the tweet? It's a nicely written piece on DS. Whether his opinion and his throw away comments are justified we will only know once the game is released. I have seen somebody in another thread saying that they have played 9 hours and not sure what to think of the game.
I may not read any article from an unprofessional "journalist".
Edge is dead for me (I did defense control for them a lot in the past).

It doesn't matter if he write good or bad things about any game... it basically lost credibility with his unethical actions... he should find another job that he feel better.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Dude i never finished a single modern open world ubisoft games.
After 25 hours to 30 i am done.

I imagine dead stranding to be pretty samey and at a certain point it def is ok to write a review.
Yall acting like this dude played the game for 5 min. Then ragequit.

I will prolly get DS when there is a sale.
But i am afraid of how diverse this game actually is. And frustrating with that QWOP stuff

Yes, you don't really have to finish a game to get a good idea if you think it's good or bad. I mean, if I slog through 30 hours and I hate it, I doubt the final 20 would change my mind. I have played thousands of games and have only finished a couple dozen or so. I have a good idea on every game I've played on whether I felt it's a good game or not. I have never changed how I felt about a game after playing until I gave up. I have never flip flopped saing 'Ohhh, I love this now!' after playing 3/4 of the game. Or even 1/2 of the game. You get a good feel after the first few hours.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
My guess is that it's all reactionary. Saying it was all planned is giving the guy too much credit. Lol

Besides, what other reason is there to posting those tweets, if not to have some kind of relevance and get attention?
We all know he wasn't exactly keen on doing a review at all, but now that Edge's integrity is at stake after the backlash, he suddenly says he is going to do the review after all?

Typical "professional" journalist stuff. 🤣

Last edited:

Rayderism

To me, Death Stranding seems like a game designed to determine the limits of gullibility, objectivity and fanboyism of today's gamer.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I buy Edge and Retro Gamer each month.
Both magazines have interesting articles which I think you can find then digitally (only if you buy the digital one obviously).
The last magazine I got is Retro Gamer with a VERY detailed special about the first DOOM, I think around 10 pages.
Worth it.

Off topic but...

It's issue 200 of Retro Gamer this month and its a special edition from the 1970's to then 2010's history of video games broken down into decades.

Advert over.

SweetShark

Off topic but...

It's issue 200 of Retro Gamer this month and its a special edition from the 1970's to then 2010's history of video games broken down into decades.

Advert over.

I am from Greece so I must wait a little longer to get my magazines from my local shop.
You are lucky...

Barakov

Would Kojima make a game that intentionally trolls the players?

Mk4uc6s.png

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Man, I've been thinking about cancelling Edge for a while now, with all their crazy 9/10 reviews of indie crap and shitty mobile games... but this... Jesus.

Bodatan

Banned
I hope he gathers all the resolve he needs and finish the game for a review score to be added in metacritic website. 😎😍

sendit

What kind of millenial bullshit is this? I collect books, love magazines, and on top of that my Edge sub is my mom's yearly xmas present. Why does "having internet" for about 25 years now have to do with that?

Fair enough. Still laughable. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
When you decided to cancel the subscription because they insulted Kojima new game 😅😆

I like to think I gave some more reasoning around that, but you read what you want to read I guess?

Edit: also not because they insulted it, I would be very happy to read a 4/10 review in Edge. They copped out tho. Didn't really do their job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom