• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
EDM is the shit, i'm just afraid to find more edm because I instantly like 99% of what I hear from it. And then I know I gotta buy it.

D23

epic gif of trance god waving
tumblr_mjvnghChSl1rblnvlo1_500.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Um what is going on here? Is this the supposed to replace the other EDM thread? The music here kind of sucks tbh. Where's the house music? Deep house....techno....Scuba...Blawan....Bicep.....Jacques Greene. Who wants to talk about Aviici.
You can happily stay in the other thread if that's what you think.

gdt

I'm just not understanding here...we have an edm thread. A lot of these guys aren't posting there....I feel like I'm missing something. I'm all for an OT2 I just feel lost or something.

I'm just not understanding here...we have an edm thread. A lot of these guys aren't posting there....I feel like I'm missing something. I'm all for an OT2 I just feel lost or something.

I only know of the Trance thread, unless there is a different one.

D23

i think u are referring to the electronic thread??

i see that differently than EDM tbh

So if I like Zedd's album am I in the right place? I want more of that

y u clarity!
check out clarity remix by w&W
https://soundcloud.com/house4thought-1/zedd-clarity-w-w-bootleg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Sometimes when a thread is as huge as the last one there's so many little cliques and so many in-jokes it can be pretty hard to just bust in. Personally, I think a refresh is a cool idea. That may just be because it's good timing for me personally, though.

dagZ

so what was everyone's favorite set at ultra? I personally loved both of deadmau5's performances the most, but after that I loved all of them. I can't decide! Being in person does that. haha

so what was everyone's favorite set at ultra? I personally loved both of deadmau5's performances the most, but after that I loved all of them. I can't decide! Being in person does that. haha

I really liked Porter Robinson and Hardwell the first week. I was just lying in bed though :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
E...lec....tronica?
Just stop. This is the general EDM that's less intimidating to new comers, if you want to be a music snob stick to your other thread bullshit.

I'm not a big Deadmau5 fan but when his set hit, it hit pretty damn hard. I personally loved Avicii's set just because it was so different. I love that kind of new take on genres.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Since we got fuck all kinds of threads on this... for those that have Satellite Radio...

If I mainly listen to Sirius XM Chill with only the rare occasion of Electric Area what funking thread should I be posting in?!?!?

I'm just soooo confused! LOL

D23

so many its hard to choose but SHM, Eric Prydz, Hardwell, Bingo Players, and Laidback Luke are excellent

for trance i enjoyed Armin, PvD, Markus Schulz, and Cosmic Gate a lot

dagZ

so many its hard to choose but SHM, Eric Prydz, Hardwell, Bingo Players, and Laidback Luke are excellent

for trance i enjoyed Armin, PvD, Markus Schulz, and Cosmic Gate a lot

Armin's was amazing too when he was on main stage. I loved the new song he premiered.

Davidion

E...lec....tronica?

Yeah EDM as a term apparently got jacked by the big room sound in the past few years. Kinda like Dubstep! It's now very closely associated with young raver kids and bros.

No one really sent out a memo, hahaha.

gdt

Just stop. This is the general EDM that's less intimidating to new comers, if you want to be a music snob stick to your other thread bullshit.

I swear I'm not trying to be a snob here I just don't understand whats going on and what lines people are drawing.

I'm all for a less intimidating new thread.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Sweet, we have our own thread. I was a bit afraid to post in the other thread since the musicians I like have more than 1,000 fans globally (I kid, I kid...).

Need more Rukes photos in the OP though ;)

Electronic dance music (sometimes referred to as EDM, club music, or simply as dance music) is electronic music produced primarily for the purposes of use within a nightclub setting, or in an environment that is centered in dance-based entertainment.

Maybe you are thinking of IDM?

Intelligent dance music (commonly IDM) is a form of electronic music that emerged in the early 1990s. It was originally influenced by developments in underground dance music such as Detroit Techno and various breakbeat styles that were emerging in the UK at that time.[2][3] Stylistically, IDM tended to rely upon individualistic experimentation rather than adhering to musical characteristics associated with specific genres of dance music.[4] The range of post-techno[5] styles to emerge in the early 1990s were described variously as art techno,[6] ambient techno, intelligent techno, and electronica.[7]

D23

Sweet, we have our own thread. I was a bit afraid to post in the other thread since the musicians I like have more than 1,000 fans globally (I kid, I kid...).

the legend himself has post in the EDM thread

currently my wallpaper, great picture Rukes!
883942_10151379343398546_1255153699_o.jpg

gdt

Electronic dance music (sometimes referred to as EDM, club music, or simply as dance music) is electronic music produced primarily for the purposes of use within a nightclub setting, or in an environment that is centered in dance-based entertainment.

Maybe you are thinking of IDM?

Intelligent dance music (commonly IDM) is a form of electronic music that emerged in the early 1990s. It was originally influenced by developments in underground dance music such as Detroit Techno and various breakbeat styles that were emerging in the UK at that time.[2][3] Stylistically, IDM tended to rely upon individualistic experimentation rather than adhering to musical characteristics associated with specific genres of dance music.[4] The range of post-techno[5] styles to emerge in the early 1990s were described variously as art techno,[6] ambient techno, intelligent techno, and electronica.[7]

I'm not thinking of IDM at all. I generally don't dig ambient shit all that much. I feel like I stepped into crazy land or something! Every single thing I posted is for clubs/festivals by dj producers.....I'm lost.

Edit: intelligent techno lol

I'm not thinking of IDM at all. I generally don't dig ambient shit all that much. I feel like I stepped into crazy land or something! Every single thing I posted is for clubs/festivals by dj producers.....I'm lost.

Ah alright, I wasnt following the other thread as I saw it was mainly underground electronic / ambient (which is fine). This thread is probably for you then.

okno

I swear I'm not trying to be a snob here I just don't understand whats going on and what lines people are drawing.

I'm all for a less intimidating new thread.

This thread is a good idea. You don't want this stuff to be posted in the other thread, it'll just turn into a giant bitch-fest on what's "true" music. Kind of exactly what's starting to happen. This is more mainstream, big room electro stuff. The other thread is for underground house and techno, more stylized stuff. They do not mix, at all, and we should have separate threads for them. I don't see how this is hard to understand at all. If I have to hear another person scoff at "Levels" as if it somehow validated their tastes in dance music again, I'll fucking lose it. Stay out of this thread if you don't like it, which I plan on doing.

That said, I totally support this thread and its direction.

Also, what Jambo said about kids wearing scarves versus kids who listen to club music is hilariously misguided. The one thing this thread splinter will do is just further divide fans of electronic music. It's splintered enough as it is, we don't really need to make it worse.

dagZ

Rukes! Thanks for all the ultra pictures! I see myself in so many of them in weekend 1. Question: are there any from weekend 2 on your site, or am I blind and missing them?

gdt

Ah alright, I wasnt following the other thread as I saw it was mainly underground electronic / ambient (which is fine). This thread is probably for you then.

I'll give you underground I guess but not really that much ambient stuff. Its like 55% house...20% techno, 10% trap, 15% all other stuff.

Ambient stuff bores me to tears too.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
This thread is a good idea. You don't want this to be posted in the other thread, it'll just turn into a giant bitch-fest on what's "true" music. Kind of exactly what's starting to happen. This is more mainstream, big room electro stuff. The other thread is for underground house and techno, more stylized stuff. They do not mix, at all, and we should have separate threads for them. I don't see how this is hard to understand at all. If I have to hear another person scoff at "Levels" as if it somehow validated their tastes in dance music again, I'll fucking lose it. Stay out of this thread if you don't like it, which I plan on doing.

Pretty much sums it up 100%. The other thread is more underground, this one is pretty much festival headliners/mainstream stuff. I think most of us have been afraid to post in the other thread for that reason.

Rukes! Thanks for all the ultra pictures! I see myself in so many of them in weekend 1. Question: are there any from weekend 2 on your site, or am I blind and missing them?

I put up Day 1 a few hours ago, hopefully will have Day 2 up tomorrow night!

thabiz

Pretty much sums it up 100%. The other thread is more underground, this one is pretty much festival headliners/mainstream stuff. I think most of us have been afraid to post in the other thread for that reason.

be afraid. be very afraid.

gdt

This thread is a good idea. You don't want this to be posted in the other thread, it'll just turn into a giant bitch-fest on what's "true" music. Kind of exactly what's starting to happen. This is more mainstream, big room electro stuff. The other thread is for underground house and techno, more stylized stuff. They do not mix, at all, and we should have separate threads for them. I don't see how this is hard to understand at all. If I have to hear another person scoff at "Levels" as if it somehow validated their tastes in dance music again, I'll fucking lose it. Stay out of this thread if you don't like it, which I plan on doing.

I think a new thread is a great idea, and big room electro stuff can be fine too. I just saw this thread on the 1st pages and was excited that there was a new EDM thread and we'd get more/new posters. But then I see it as THIS IS EDM...but that that (the second that being the original thread) isn't EDM. I'm still fairly new to this whole thing but its pretty confusing.

Plus yes, most of that stuff sucks, not cause its mainstream or anything

Okay guys lets make up.

Aviici - Levels (LOL Boys edit). Turns that song into a banger.

thabiz

Also, what Jambo said about kids wearing scarves versus kids who listen to club music is hilariously misguided. The one thing this thread splinter will do is just further divide fans of electronic music. It's splintered enough as it is, we don't really need to make it worse.

help me okno. im being assaulted by scarves.

gdt

Well ok then. This thread is for mainstream EDM, the other one is for more underground EDM. Got it. Going back to Hydra Island now.

I put up Day 1 a few hours ago, hopefully will have Day 2 up tomorrow night!

Love your work, man!

bomma_man

Future civil war between the lowest common denominator* and the hip kids!

*;)

But seriously this EDM tag is confusing. Just because it's not mainstream in the US doesn't mean it's not dance music, are you serious?

EDM not being all forms of electronic music is really, really, REALLY confusing and hair-splitting. but given that the other EDM thread skews more underground/hipster/fringe/just-not-mainstream i think it's fine to have two threads. with the speed at which both threads seem like they'll be moving, this will help from it getting impossible to follow.

that said, y'all should be listening to tritonal. new ep dropped monday.

tritonal - bullet that saved me (prog/anthem house)

Ashhong

Two questions.

1. Is the Trance thread closing?
2. Are we ok to put sets in here? I have almost a hundred that I could post, but I want to make sure that's ok.

I hope not. It seems most people in here are about the house anyway.

nor! And new to the state, haha. :p

I will check all suggestions out as I want to get the most out of Cali that I can in my time here.

In NorCal I can only think of POP events and Beyond Wonderland. I know there's a lot more though.

Um what is going on here? Is this the supposed to replace the other EDM thread? The music here kind of sucks tbh. Where's the house music? Deep house....techno....Scuba...Blawan....Bicep.....Jacques Greene. Who wants to talk about Aviici.

Like everyone else said, this thread is more for mainstream stuff. The difference should be pretty clear. When I go I to that thread all I see is electronic beep booo music, not necessarily electronic dance music.

Top Bottom