• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR Releases E3 Purchase Intent Results/Awards (Game Sales Potential Research)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The slides are pretty self explanatory. This report is targeted at retailers, but hey, we should join in.

There's a lot more in the slides.

eedar2dkgc.png

eedar36m1o.png

eedar4qjve.png

eedar5aju7.png

eedar6zkv7.png

eedar70m98.png

eedar8z8qy.png

eedar11ukgt.png

eedar9dmun.png

eedar1018go.png

Source: http://www.eedar.com/uploads/EEDAR Retail Buyer Report - E3 2011.pdf

IoCaster

Gold Member
I guess this is interesting, but I'm not sure how it's relevant from an overall sales perspective to a retailer. There's no question that it would be advisable to stock lots of copies of ME3 initially, but I seriously doubt that it'll be a blockbuster seller in comparison to games like CoD, Gears, Battlefield, Ass Creed, Uncharted, Batman, etc,..

eedar11ukgt.png

I also believe that Skyrim will curb-stomp ME3, as far as sales are concerned, in the RPG category. So whatever value can be gleaned from this report on the part of retailers seems to be debatable. *shrug*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IoCaster said:
I also believe that Skyrim will curb-stomp ME3, as far as sales are concerned, in the RPG category. So whatever value can be gleaned from this report on the part of retailers seems to be debatable. *shrug*
This is used to determine sales increase over previous iterations, not versus each other.

The report notes that they expect a 20-30% sales increase for Mass Effect 3, which would put it at 4.2-4.55 million copies, which would be less than Fallout 3, but a very healthy improvement.

Mass Effect 2 didn't sell that well. Mass Effect fans are really into Mass Effect, but that won't translate into massive sales.

EDIT:
Nirolak said:
This is used to determine sales increase over previous iterations, not versus each other.

The report notes that they expect a 20-30% sales increase for Mass Effect 3, which would put it at 4.2-4.55 million copies, which would be less than Fallout 3, but a very healthy improvement.
Totally reasonable.

Derrick01

Banned
Go Skyrim! Disappointed to see ME3 so high but hey that's what happens when you shoot for the bro crowd I guess. I doubt it'll translate into millions of sales though.

LQX

For being the biggest game of the year MW3 got little coverage from major sites and when sites like GiantBomb did cover it they almost did it in mocking sort of way. G4 live demo play was great though.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Nirolak said:

Understood, but I'm inclined to lean toward "buzz" and/or "hype" coming out of E3. I've not seen a whole bunch of it in reference to ME3 on any of the usual suspect sites. Like I stated above, it would apparently be advisable to stock plenty of copies of ME3 since it's the culmination of the Shepard trilogy, but that's something that would be fairly obvious without this report. From my perspective using 'page views' as a metric is questionable at best. We'll see what happens, but there's no denying that sometimes people are drawn to the scene of a train wreck from morbid curiosity rather than a desire to be a participant. *bias*

element said:
Totally confused why Infamous is listed as well as Infamous 2. Oh well, more sales for Infamous :D
Probably due to a combination of people interested in the sequel checking out the original, and its inclusion in the Welcome Back package.

idwl

Mario kart 3ds not even on the list? weird. Its eventually gonna beat all the games on that list (IF 3DS picks up)

Jeff-DSA

The Vita got hammered by the rest of the bunch. Even the PS2 and PSP fared better. Despite the awesome price point, it's obvious that Sony has a lot of goodwill building to do with their fans. I'm shocked, because I thought it was doing much better than that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cheesemeister said:
Genre breakdown of the overall top 20...

Shooter: 9
Action: 7
RPG: 3
Fighting: 1

Talk about sad.
Don't forget the one of those RPGs is more or less a Shooter at this point too.

Drkirby said:
Don't forget the one of those RPGs is more or less a Shooter at this point too.

That and Bioshock Infinite both look like they have incredible worlds to explore, but the whole shooter aspect is such a turn-off. I did manage to make it through Red Dead Redemption, but decided to pass on the DLC add-on game. I also got Uncharted 1, but have stalled out over it being mostly shooting and less exploring.

Also, what the heck is wrong with page 14 of the PDF? All the columns have the same labels. Rank data column labels are wrong on page 15.

Michan

Cheesemeister said:
Genre breakdown of the overall top 20...

Shooter: 9
Action: 7
RPG: 3
Fighting: 1

Talk about sad.
To be fair, their genre breakdown is pretty bad. Mario should be "platformer," for instance.

These are completely useless stats. Wasn't Killzone 3 in second place on one of these lists before and it ended up selling less than Killzone 2 at launch.

Mooreberg

a Master Ninja said:
Mass Effect 2 didn't sell that well. Mass Effect fans are really into Mass Effect, but that won't translate into massive sales.

If I remember correctly, Fallout New Vegas sold more on Xbox 360 in 2010 than Mass Effect 2 did. This is despite lower review scores, coming out nine months later, and also being available on PS3 at launch rather than a year later.

It doesn't seem like the amount of media hype has has turned into a similar amount of excitement among Xbox 360 owners (and even less so with PS3 owners after the fact). This must be why EA is talking about making it appeal to more people. Mass Dragon incoming!

Concept17

Messi said:
No saints row : the third? Suprising

It seemed to lack much media coverage throughout the show. Beyond a trailer and that GS interview, I don't recall seeing anything else. Shame too, game looks amazing.

Messi said:
No saints row : the third? Suprising
It is #17 on the IGN list of purchase intent.

I am surprised Halo 4 is on any of these lists. From what I can tell, every other game we have actually seen gameplay of. Halo 4 was just a CGI trailer and I don't think it should be counted among playable games.

wrowa

Dedication Through Light said:
Purchase Intent is pretty interesting for the handhelds. New hardware like PS Vita had low intent?! Odd.
US and European enthusiastic gamers aren't interested much in handheld gaming. Shocking news.

LQX said:
For being the biggest game of the year MW3 got little coverage from major sites and when sites like GiantBomb did cover it they almost did it in mocking sort of way. G4 live demo play was great though.
Well the gaming press is burnt out on this kind of gameplay. With good reason I should say.

FinKL

I don't agree with how they did this. I thought maybe this group went around E3 and talked to attendees or asked attendees to fill out a survey. This is just taking Page Views/Intent clicks and ranking them.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good gauge, but it could be better considering IGN's viewers are mainly teens to young adults?

Top Bottom