• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Effort Under Way to Make China Financially Liable for Pandemic

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
He didn’t have the “social license” to implement extreme tariffs on China before. I believe he does now.
Extreme tariffs on all imports, except countries like UK, Australia, Canada, etc.

The way to sell it is not as "punishment" but "America needs to rebuild. We must create local jobs for American workers. We can not allow the tax money used for stimulus be used to fund foreign companies and jobs. It has to be used in America, creating jobs for Americans."

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

And if it was up to China these type of videos wouldnt of been smuggled out. They surely werent showing this to their own population. And unless you were savvy you didnt see this outside of China either.

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Only way to go about this:

Form a new North American Trade Alliance,, open up free trade and incentivize the production of low-cost goods in Mexico and Central America. Eat into the world's, or at least America's dependence on China's low labour costs.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
#FreeBrap
Only way to go about this:

Form a new North American Trade Alliance,, open up free trade and incentivize the production of low-cost goods in Mexico and Central America. Eat into the world's, or at least America's dependence on China's low labour costs.
Best way to stop the flow of illegals is to take away the incentive to leave. Boosting the Mexican economy at the expense of China is a good idea. I mean, NAFTA was originally sold as a North American free trade agreement, not a Chinese free trade agreement.

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Best way to stop the flow of illegals is to take away the incentive to leave. Boosting the Mexican economy at the expense of China is a good idea. I mean, NAFTA was originally sold as a North American free trade agreement, not a Chinese free trade agreement.
That's the idea. It would possibly interfere with the cartels' modus operandi as well. If this is another stream of revenue and they have money to spare. Lots and lots of it, they might launder it by going legit. Like the mafia or the Yakuza. A necessary evil perhaps, but one which could possibly lower cartel related violence while empowering countries in North and Central America. They could even buy oil exclusively from shale oil producers, which are in big trouble but should easily be able to provide enough for Mexico, the States and Canada.

It's not such a Longshot, they just have to do it willingly and check China's ambitions.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
That's the idea. It would possibly interfere with the cartels' modus operandi as well. If this is another stream of revenue and they have money to spare. Lots and lots of it, they might launder it by going legit. Like the mafia or the Yakuza. A necessary evil perhaps, but one which could possibly lower cartel related violence while empowering countries in North and Central America. They could even buy oil exclusively from shale oil producers, which are in big trouble but should easily be able to provide enough for Mexico, the States and Canada.

It's not such a Longshot, they just have to do it willingly and check China's ambitions.
Deals like NAFTA instead of boosting the Mexican economy what they do is make some middle men rich and keep the population poor or dependent on rich people and countries. In these agreements, the small and poorer country is always at a disadvantage but playing on a supposedly leveled field with much more powerful nations that have much more resources, usually the powerful nation sets the rules and the smaller just nods. It usually substitutes local production with imported goods from the US that has much bigger production capacity. In the end, the economies of countries like Mexico end up becoming dependent on the US and self sustainability dissappears. Basically, what you Americans complain about your relationship with China where your economy ends up dependent on China and China's influence goes beyond the economic, these "free trade" deals do the same with small countries that become fully dependent on the US or other rich nations and they lose part of their sovereignity. Of course you barely ever feel the negative effects of it because the smaller nations can't make many demands so you don't complain but the small nations like those in the deals of NAFTA or CAFTA do. So, if you really want to help these countries develop then you would have to promote fair trade instead of free trade because free trade doesn't give a fuck about developing countries or being ethical in their dealings. I wouldnt hold my breath though since this type of trade, the same one which managed to make China powerful too, was practically invented and promoted in the US.

Also remember the swine flu originated in Mexico.

Reactions: Holgren

crowbrow

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
This points towards why I think blaming and focusing on China solely is dumb. It's just another example of reductionist, simplistic and short term thinking. Problems like this arise from complex situations and the real solutions lie in the realm of complex systemic approaches. Focusing on one factor like China and applying some sanctions is misleading and a waste of time IMO because it won't solve the complexity of the problem in the long run. There will always be governments or people who try to downplay a crisis or situation for their own benefit, both in foreign as well as in local contexts, that's a variable which is part of the complex equation that needs to be included to asses and respond to situations like this but it is in no way the only variable that caused this and avoids assessing the interaction of factors that explains and helps the world deal with stuff like this in the future.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/03/what-really-doomed-americas-coronavirus-response/608596/

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
One minute you’re posting absolute drivel, next minute you’re making sense. What the fuck is wrong with you?
China is fucking garbage, I think we all can unite against them. They're (the government) inherently dishonest rats. I know that liberals want to accept them, but they're dispicable.

Reactions: matt404au

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Deals like NAFTA instead of boosting the Mexican economy what they do is make some middle men rich and keep the population poor or dependent on rich people and countries. In these agreements, the small and poorer country is always at a disadvantage but playing on a supposedly leveled field with much more powerful nations that have much more resources, usually the powerful nation sets the rules and the smaller just nods. It usually substitutes local production with imported goods from the US that has much bigger production capacity. In the end, the economies of countries like Mexico end up becoming dependent on the US and self sustainability dissappears. Basically, what you Americans complain about your relationship with China where your economy ends up dependent on China and China's influence goes beyond the economic, these "free trade" deals do the same with small countries that become fully dependent on the US or other rich nations and they lose part of their sovereignity. Of course you barely ever feel the negative effects of it because the smaller nations can't make many demands so you don't complain but the small nations like those in the deals of NAFTA or CAFTA do. So, if you really want to help these countries develop then you would have to promote fair trade instead of free trade because free trade doesn't give a fuck about developing countries or being ethical in their dealings. I wouldnt hold my breath though since this type of trade, the same one which managed to make China powerful too, was practically invented and promoted in the US.

Also remember the swine flu originated in Mexico.
I'm not American, just to be transparent.
NAFTA was not meant to boost the Mexican economy. The US already had its own thing going, but now, they could shift if around. People forget, but Americans are kingmakers. They MADE modern Japan and modern Gerrmany.
I'm just a guy who, if he had to choose, would pick American influence over Chinese influence, any day of the week.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So let me get this straight. China had 2 massive hospitals being built and ready to go in "9 days of the outbreak", such a coincidence, they were ready to purchase the collapsing stock in the US and Europe, and somehow they are perfectly contained like they had an "antidote".

Saw a picture of Xi visiting the sick with just a paper mask on, yet when Putin or anyone else does it, they look like a damned astronaut about to launch into space.

:pie_thinking:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
I don't know how anyone isn't seeing China's game here.

Stealing supplies from Australia. Taking 16 tonnes from Canada. Even though all the manufacturing for these supplies is pretty much in China. They even were bogarting the machines to make medical supplies.

the a few weeks later they can ship supplies to Italy, France, Spain etc...

You go from 2 months ago desperately needing supplies, to now being able to give them out as the big savior.

They probably didn't create this virus on purpose, but I don't doubt they realized how fucked they were and decided to take the rest of the world down with them. And now that every where else is fucked and they monopolized all the supplies they can turn around and play the hero.

From the thread in OT, but if you don't visit it

Please note that the Taiwan tried to tell the WHO about human 2 human transmission in December, and the WHO still decieded to take CCP's word that there is no H2H transmission.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Fuck them how exactly?

here’s a good start. But also by pointing out and shining a light on their villainous behavior that endangered the rest of earth and got people killed. The best way to
Fuck them is by making people finally decide that the cost savings aren’t offset by the fuckery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner and DeepEnigma

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Jun 8, 2004
It's silly to think that anyone will be able to squeeze any sort of reparations out of China Treaty of Versailles style when this is done. If China is made to pay, it'll be through lost business as factories are pulled out. That was already happening with places like Vietnam having begun to eat China's lunch in recent years. Hopefully, industry will have the good sense to spread things out in the future, rather than leaving themselves beholden to a single country for all of their manufacturing needs.