• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eFootball gameplay leaks and players are not impressed (possibly PS5 footage)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Original chinese article
Source: VGC Article
Mirror: MediaFire Link (175MB)

Newly leaked footage of Pro Evolution Soccer’s successor eFootball has emerged, and the initial fan response isn’t entirely positive.

An 11-minute video by Chinese YouTube channel Great Game has received numerous negative comments, both on the YouTube listing itself and on social media.

The video shows Manchester United and Arsenal playing a friendly match, and has been criticised for a number of things, including strange collision animations, ball physics and the new circular player icon.

However, it’s not clear whether the footage – which was captured via a camera pointing at a television – was ever intended to be published. The build shown is also likely unfinished.

“They say it’s a whole new game, but these are the exact same cutscenes we’ve had since PES 2014?” said one YouTube comment.

“Sigh. It all looked ‘okay’ until I saw the grass which looks horrifying for being the most important graphic in a football game,” added another. Hating the circular cursor so much. As for what matters (gameplay), the ball physics seem a little weird but I’d have to play it myself.

“First touch is all over the place. The animations seem like… a step back from PES 2018? I honestly will have to play it myself but so far: big meh.”

The reaction was negative on social media too. PES fan Gari Clark stated: “Leaked footage of #eFootball or not, this is an absolute mess. Final nail in the coffin. Skating players, awful ball physics, speed off-the-chain + poor graphically. This is a mobile game at heart.

“I’m actually angry watching this mess of a ‘Gen 5’ game. This is actually offensive to see a game with such an incredible history being thrown out in favour of a cash-grab for the mobile/casual market.”

PES modder Durandil PES posted a lengthy Twitter thread breaking down a number of elements of the footage, pointing out numerous frame rate drops, strange collision animations and crowd animation that seems to move extremely choppy at times.

Some commenters on the YouTube video suggested that the footage was perhaps showing the PS4 version of the game. However, others pointed out that the lack of loading times and the lack of transitions during goal kicks (which was reportedly a next-gen feature) suggests it’s the PS5 game being shown.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Game seems to load near instantly but they don't advance, its probably PS5.

Looks like trash, but hey, its F2P and in reality not really more meaty than PES demos and previous F2P versions.

Porcile

Anyone remember the days when PES and PES 2 and were legitimate reasons to buy a PS2, and could even be called the best games on the system regardless of genre? I think I even spent £80 importing Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution and a Freeloader for my Gamecube. Those were good times, but this is just sad times.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just looks pretty last gen to be honest. How is this a new engine, how is this built from the ground up, how is this only launching with 8 teams in vs mode and no other game modes when they SKIPPED making a 2021 entirely? Pretty bizarre.

Roufianos

Anyone remember the days when PES and PES 2 and were legitimate reasons to buy a PS2, and could even be called the best games on the system regardless of genre? I think I even spent £80 importing Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution and a Freeloader for my Gamecube. Those were good times, but this is just sad times.
Even more recently, PES 2010, 2012 and 2017 were absolutely brilliant. Such a shame to see the series become an upscaled mobile game.

TLZ

Banned
If I try this game and it looks like ass like it is now, I'm sending a not so nice email to Adam Bhatti.

I honestly hope they haven't taken this game the MGS Online route. We know how that one went.

cormack12

Gold Member
If I try this game and it looks like ass like it is now, I'm sending a not so nice email to Adam Bhatti.

I honestly hope they haven't taken this game the MGS Online route. We know how that one went.

Is Adam still floating round? Dude just says every game is the best PES.

stranno

It is clear in the Gameplay Trailer, one of the worst ever seen in videogames, that they gave up already.

Dazfeeder

100% mate, I used to have a swap disk so I could add proper kits, balls, etc to the game, been shite since Pro Evo 6

Good grief that blue/yellow colour scheme is horrendous.

This looks like a real step back for the series which is just dire given how much of a roll PES had been on for the last few years.

Presentation has never been good with Konami and Pro Evo mate.
Haha, that is true. Somehow this is even worse though!

Got to wonder who signs off on the game looking like that, I'd be embarrassed to launch something with such an aggressive and ugly scheme.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yes of course. He's a senior manager still.

I remember him saying basically their biggest audience is Latin America hence why they kept the old engine and PS3 versions for so long. I think ultmately they've had to decide if they had plateaued with their sales against Fifa and if the market for mobile and lower barrier for entry will allow them to expand i.e. India, China, Brazil etc.

I'm sure they have some figures from their myClub f2p mode that has informed this decision. It just sucks for those that want the premium experience especially those who grew up with Master League etc.

Reactions: TLZ

Dibils2k

the game was always a generation behind when they were charging full price... i have zero expectations on a free version of the game lol

yansolo

its such a shame that the biggest sport in the world doesn't have a decent bloody game to go with it

this looks terrible beyond anything, it feels like they've given up/don't have the resources to compete with the tyrants over at ea and they are going for a last roll of the dice to try get anything out of microtransactions

this will most likely flop hard and konami will just end up killing the series for good

TLZ

Banned
I remember him saying basically their biggest audience is Latin America hence why they kept the old engine and PS3 versions for so long. I think ultmately they've had to decide if they had plateaued with their sales against Fifa and if the market for mobile and lower barrier for entry will allow them to expand i.e. India, China, Brazil etc.

I'm sure they have some figures from their myClub f2p mode that has informed this decision. It just sucks for those that want the premium experience especially those who grew up with Master League etc.
They realised most of their profit came from MyClub and mobile and decided to finally go f2p. The transition was obvious imo when we hardly saw any improvement since 2020 and all their efforts went to MyClub. Plus it's Konami. We know how much they love turning everything into Pachinko.

Sucks big time for people like us (I'm guessing you're one of us). Been a huge fan since the 90s. It's quite sad seeing the game's decline over the years. It was the one game I always looked forward to pre PS3.

SkylineRKR

Yeah i've been a PES fan since the early 2000's but actually even earlier. I've found ISS Pro 98 better than FIFA, but it didn't have the license. That game turned out to be WE3. FIFA 98 was revered back then, but in reality its a terrible football game. I did love it too, because of the OST, presentation, license etc. And everyone played it. But after that I went to ISS/PES. But my friend had Goal Storm on his PS1, way back in 1996 or so. That was WE1 lol. We kinda liked that game.

On PS2 this series absolutely peaked and was far ahead of FIFA. Professional players recommended to play PES as well, I saw interviews were players were saying they were playing PES in their spare time. FIFA was kind of dismissed. But EA really got it going with Ultimate Team though, while PES kind of tanked after the neutered PES 6 on 360 (FIFA 07 was neutered as well, but EA rebounded with 08).

FIFA has not always been shite. I did enjoy FIFA 14 on my brand new PS4 a lot. But thats pretty much the last one I enjoyed.

Alpha Male

So which PES game in the last 5 years is the best?

I own them all but never play them. Would like to know if there is one agreed upon best among the most recent games so I can stick to that one.

Business

15 or 20 years ago it was nice to see the camera zoom on the players and watch their reactions, they were robotic and soulless but we didn't know better. These days they should be ashamed to zoom in because the players are still equally robotic and soulless. Same goes for FIFA btw.

TLZ

Banned
So which PES game in the last 5 years is the best?

I own them all but never play them. Would like to know if there is one agreed upon best among the most recent games so I can stick to that one.
There's none agreed upon. Everyone has their favourite. As for me, all since the PS360 aren't good. Each has positives and negatives, but none come close to the peak PS2 games. And those have their negatives of course, but their positives way outweigh them. Just way more immersive and unpredictable.

Since 2014, they've all become soulless and predictable, even if they're graphically better.

So just try all the ones you own and choose the one that gave you the most fun to keep playing that one more game.

iHaunter

Game seems to load near instantly but they don't advance, its probably PS5.

Looks like trash, but hey, its F2P and in reality not really more meaty than PES demos and previous F2P versions.
F2P games cost 100x more than full retail games.

Dibils2k

Welp. We done bro :/

oh wow Adam Bhatti still working for them and shilling it everywhere? :messenger_tears_of_joy: i remember this guy on WENB every year saying "finally can put away my PS2 because PES is back!" and every year it was shit :messenger_tears_of_joy: hey atleast it got him a job at Konami

Klik

I was expecting a lot more improvement considering they didn't release PES 2021

Last edited:
Yep, keep sleeping on just how good FIFA really is and continues to be till you see the alternatives. :)

Yea, I get it ain't done, but FIFA has no match for quality sports simulation, not even from NBA 2K.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks like manual controls may be the default. That is progress in my opinion. A few nice off the field animations, and a few new in motion. Overall though the game looks a little 'off' though. But we can all judge for ourselves soon.

anthraticus

Banned
Whenever I feel like playing, I just bust out some PES 3/5/2008 on the PS2. Anything I tried after that I haven't liked, so I just stick with those.

SkylineRKR

F2P games cost 100x more than full retail games.

Thats on yourself.

I never paid a dime for Warframe. But I still got about 100 hours out of it, playing it on and off. I did craft the Rhino and some other suits, and had decent fun with it each time I played. I played some more F2P games, but I never buy shit for them. The bulk of them gate you in obnoxious grinds, or put up a straight up paywall. But in some, like Warframe, I feel you can get quite a lot out of it without paying up.

It's called soccer. Get your stuff together, entire rest of the world.
Mm. Call it what you want, but if your region:
- didn't invent the sport (although this disparity is really their fault)
- doesn't particularly enjoy it
- Isn't generally good at it
- uses the title for a significantly less popular sport
then it really shouldn't be on the table for what the sport should be called

On-topic: meh. Shame to see them go this route but can't say it was surprising. Now more than ever there are alternatives to look forward to if this ends up horrible

Yep, keep sleeping on just how good FIFA really is and continues to be till you see the alternatives. :)

Yea, I get it ain't done, but FIFA has no match for quality sports simulation, not even from NBA 2K.
Fifa is literally the cancer of gaming , and absolutely suck , the graphics and gameplay improvements from 2016 to 2020 is so minimal it's laughable

TLZ

Banned
Welp. We done bro :/

This ass. Never change. "Found a new crowd". Thanks for the appreciation you dick.

I know Gary. We were on WENB 13 years ago. We thought we're going to influence Konami to change the game for the better. Finally what the fans want. Adam was the site owner btw. Next thing he became a Konami employee and ditched all our hopes. He used to work at Ubisoft.

Every year we kept thinking this would be the one. It never came. All false hopes. Now I have a feeling this guy used us all for his next career jump back then. So naive.

Anyway, I'll try it like I always do. But I don't have much hope. Since they started going after that mtx crowd, the game was never the same.

TLZ

Banned

FIFA is so far from simulation. When they get rid of ice hockey mechanics I might finally play it more than an hour or two.

This ass. Never change. "Found a new crowd". Thanks for the appreciation you dick.

I know Gary. We were on WENB 13 years ago. We thought we're going to influence Konami to change the game for the better. Finally what the fans want. Adam was the site owner btw. Next thing he became a Konami employee and ditched all our hopes. He used to work at Ubisoft.

Every year we kept thinking this would be the one. It never came. All false hopes. Now I have a feeling this guy used us all for his next career jump back then. So naive.

Anyway, I'll try it like I always do. But I don't have much hope. Since they started going after that mtx crowd, the game was never the same.

The alarm bells were ringing when he was praising the animations for PES 2010. Insider type talk before we all got to see it. Now visually at the time that game was a step up particularly in lighting however the animations were shocking, very stiff , rigid.

He was hyping those up! “And the way it moves oh my , great” then everyone proceeded to the usual “old build v new build nonsense”

He got more and more arrogant, narcissistic as time went on and the manner in which WENB was closed down was suspect too.

A brilliant series at one time, now reduced to this shite.

Top Bottom