• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG: How FAR CRY 4 co-op works if you don't have the game (PS4 exclusive feature)

anderedna

Is PS+ needed for this? I guess they'll need it to play as it's an online multiplayer. This will drive a few more PS+ subscribers.

Varg

Banned
I'm really liking this feature. Can get your friends to try the game if their on the fence about it. I can see it working in some cases.

Hm. I expected this to be done through gaikai or something. Downloading a big app for every game which supports the feature seems a lot less convenient to the point where I'd be less inclined to casually join my friends' games unless it's something I already had some interest in.

What a great idea, good job Ubisoft and Sony.

Have they said anything about co-op if two people have the full version of the game?

Applecot

Maybe microsoft had restrictions that prevented it, or maybe it only exist because of sony. Sony just seem more open to this type of stuff.

when i heard about this it reminded me of some of the stuff Sony was touting in their ps4 during the last e3. So the announcement this would be happening was kind of an "oh yeah, i remember that" kind of moment for me

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Awesome, and you get 3 days of the FULL game. How many games support this offhand?

- Alien Breed: Impact
- Booster Troopers
- Counter-Strike: Source
- Day of Defeat: Source
- Killing Floor
- Madballs in... Babo: Invasion
- Monday Night Combat
- Nuclear Dawn
- Red Orchestra
- Rhythm Zone
- Rising Storm
- Shattered Horizon
- Team Fortress 2, when it wasn't F2P
- ThreadSpace: Hyperbol

And The Ship, obviously. This list may not quite be exhaustive as it's not possible to search SteamDB for particular flags/values (it didn't pick up The Ship, for example), so I had to rely on what Google's scraped.

andycapps

Really great idea by Ubi for this. And it may work, I probably wouldn't have been interested but this type of thing has made me interested in supporting them.

Respawn

Banned
I don't get why they'd do it. There will be so many lost sales because of this. I know plenty of people that buy a game like this just to play co-op with their buddies.
Its like people just going out their way to help those who have nothing. Maybe in all the darkness and money grabbing mofo's someone actually let a good thing get through? Can't stand folks who always want something in return.

I don't think there's actually been any word on how long the invites last. Even one week could be way off the mark (relatively speaking).

Maybe 72hrs? I think a week is probably a bit too long, but between 48 and 72 hours (more leaning towards 72hrs as you need to download a good chunk of the game first) seems perfect and should give plenty of time to enjoy co-op.

spwolf

Maybe 72hrs? I think a week is probably a bit too long, but between 48 and 72 hours (more leaning towards 72hrs as you need to download a good chunk of the game first) seems perfect and should give plenty of time to enjoy co-op.

well, full game PS+ trials lasted for 60 minutes once you actually started the game... so download does not matter at all.

Grieves

Will this game support local co-op?

I'm finding it harder to find games that me and my son can play together.

So is co-op only available through the 10 passes? If my friend and I both own the game, can we play co-op whenever we want or is it a feature exclusive to that timed demo?

This is actually a really smart idea. there are some people who well buy far cry 4 regardless, for whatever the reason may be. If you never planned on buying it, you can jump on with a friend and play it. If you enjoy it, you may buy it so you can pay whatever you want, whenever you want and not need a friend to jump on. Even if it sells a few extra copies, it's more copies that would have been sold without the feature. It's a bigger, better, demo with friends.

More games should do this, especially first party titles. Uncharted comes to mind. I live the mp, but many people never jump on it. I have some.friends who never even played it. Let them join online coop or mp with me and it may draw more people. Same thing with KZ, etc.

ethomaz

Banned
Hm, I'm sure there will be some further restrictions on this like playtime/session time/no savestate or something similair. They're basically offering the whole game's content for free.
The restriction is that the app didn't work without a server... a guy that bought the game and will invite you to play with him ;)

He controls everything... you just will help your friend in his campaign ;)

OneUh8

This is really cool. Say what you want about Ubisoft, but they do some really neat things in their games, especially with companion app type stuff.

Didn't Adam Boyes mention in the giant bomb interview that there is both a time restriction and a restrictions on the amount of time you can use this feature?

If I recall correctly there is an hour time limit per freind and it caps at 10 invites

It's actually a brilliant way to sell the game

li bur

I think they are doing this to promote the game. Kinda works like demo to me. People who plays it online will be exposed to the game and if they like it, maybe they'd buy it.

Ateron

Could this be the new Demos for current gen?

Since they're locking out the story missions and only allowing you to play some small portions of the co-op oriented missions, it's not like people who play it and happened to like it, will skip the game. It will probably entice them to pull the trigger on the game, result in even more sales. I have no interest on getting FC4 as of now, but if one of my friends get it I will ask for an invite and see for myself. Might be pleasantly surprised, who knows.

I think it's a smart idea. A demo like experience with the co-op/social activity hook to atract and lock down consumers. I hope more games use this feature.

Btw, wth happened to that "invite a friend to play a game, any game you own and help you clear a stage you're stuck on" feature that they touted so much last year?
Could this be it? If so, it's gotta work on everygame, as that is exactly what they announced back then. That would be a game changer, imo.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this. At the end there will be few co-op type mission you will be able to play, its not like you will be able to play the whole game like your friend who purchased it. They could have just named this as a free co-op pack for everyone with PS+ account.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I don't get why they'd do it. There will be so many lost sales because of this. I know plenty of people that buy a game like this just to play co-op with their buddies.

It might also create more sales, if people like the coop it might make them pull the trigger and get the full story game. Hard to say if they loose or gain however.

ethomaz

Banned
Huh.... That's not as complicated as I thought it would be. Kind of weak that a feature like this is exclusive.
It is a feature revealed at PS4 reveal in Feb 2013... so if MS want to make something like they need to give tools that allow that to the developers.

Far Cry 4 is the first to have this feature but it is not a Far Cry 4 feature but a PS4 feature to be used in the games.

Didn't Adam Boyes mention in the giant bomb interview that there is both a time restriction and a restrictions on the amount of time you can use this feature?

Yeah he did say something along those lines. Which makes me think is the reason why they went over it so quickly in the press conference.

Still an awesome feature.

In a world where a lot of games are going towards Co-op it's something that I hope becomes more common.

K' Dash

But, I would HAVE the game, the app IS the game, not worth it for me, if I have to download 30GB to play with a friend, might as well buy the game.

x-Lundz-x

This is fantastic, and a great way to get people to try the game and then purchase it. This is awesome that they are willing to try something like this.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I hope this actually spurs on developers to include more co-op.

The future is already looking bright, but we could use a good co-op revival right about now.

I thought there was already a pretty big co-op revival at E3. Evolve, Fable Legends, LBP3, AC:Unity, The Division. Very big focus on coop, I thought.

kinggroin

Banned
Something Sony and Nintendo have been doing for years on handhelds (built into the console OS of the later).

I'm extremely happy to see it get used on consoles and hope it becomes the norm.

This is true innovation. Pumped to see so many new games deliver solid online cooperative modes. It eases the sting of having to pay for online PS4.

Top Bottom