• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egg headed man sticks it to Jaffe over used game sales

DeVeAn

I lost some respect there for jaffe. I always buy new thats just me. I do sometimes sell my games. We all know Gamestop is the devil's right hand. $54.99 for a used copy is not a deal all we can do is not buy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also, talking about the DD model.. why not create a "refund" system with DD?

Say you buy a game DD.. and want to get rid of it a week later you get 20 bucks back. a month later you get 15 back, etc. Until a point 6 months after release there is no "buyback" available for a game. It would give people a little flexibility if they are truly done with a game.

You could also create rental models. Download the game for 10 bucks and it lets you play if for a week (or whatever) and then you have to buy the game to keep playing once that time frame is up. Let the player put the rental price towards the purchase of the full game. Great for the consumer (being able to put the rental cost towards a purchase is a great value proposition)

It is a way for the devs/publishers to effectively recreate the two models they seem to hate (people selling new games, rentals) while keeping the profits in their pocket.

spwolf

grap3fruitman said:
So then why not lower the cost of new games? Clearly the issue is price and consumers feel that games are overpriced so that a small $5-10 savings on a used copy is worth it.

I've never play a GoW game before but got interested now that I have a PS3, but after seeing what an asshole you are in this thread there's no way I'll be picking up GoW3.

jaffe doesnt work on GoW and hasnt worked on it for quite a while :lol
And DD pricing has not been lowered due to pressure from retailers.

Pimpbaa

stuburns said:
What FO3 did was probably the best option so far, every month or two, a serious slice of excellent quality DLC drops. If a game announces that stuff when the game is released, I think of the current models, that is by far the most appealing for a single player focused experience.

Yeah, any game with significant DLC makes me wanna keep it. Because I want to play any future DLC for it plus that DLC content I bought because useless if I sell the game :lol

spwolf

StoOgE said:
Also, talking about the DD model.. why not create a "refund" system with DD?

Say you buy a game DD.. and want to get rid of it a week later you get 20 bucks back. a month later you get 15 back, etc. Until a point 6 months after release there is no "buyback" available for a game. It would give people a little flexibility if they are truly done with a game.

You could also create rental models. Download the game for 10 bucks and it lets you play if for a week (or whatever) and then you have to buy the game to keep playing once that time frame is up. Let the player put the rental price towards the purchase of the full game. Great for the consumer (being able to put the rental cost towards a purchase is a great value proposition)

It is a way for the devs/publishers to effectively recreate the two models they seem to hate (people selling new games, rentals) while keeping the profits in their pocket.

There are roumors going around that Sony is working on game rental service of their own - seems like it would cover what you mentioned... this is what Jaffe has brought up when he said that publishers are working "around" retail actually ...

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Shadowrun was hampered by the Halo 3 online beta and was released at the same time as Forza 2.

Thanks to the used game market Shadowrun is a very affordable luxury if you enjoy online shooters.

JSnake

Les Posted on 08/29/2009 at 03:58 PM

I’ve been following the NeoGAF thread all morning and it’s been quite interesting. If nothing else I’m happy I sparked an active dialog on the topic even if it is happening off-site.

Aside from Jaffe, I’ve seen analyst Michael Pachter show up and the folks from Gamasutra that I quoted in my entry. I did try to register an account so I could reply to a couple of points made, but it appears there’s a lengthy approval process for new accounts so I’ll just sit this one out.

Still it’s amusing to be called a “Professional Troll.”

oh shit he's signed up!

vireland

Brimstone said:
Shadowrun was hampered by the Halo 3 online beta and was released at the same time as Forza 2.

Thanks to the used game market Shadowrun is a very affordable luxury if you enjoy online shooters.

Used? Pfft. Thanks to the brutal off-target reviews, the vista-only PC requirement, plus time since release, the XBOX360 version is completely affordable brand spanking new for $9.99 with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103052

Gorgon

SecretBonusPoint said:
Except you don't understand Jaffe's stance. He's not saying you as a consumer shouldn't be allowed to resell stuff on (despite his angry retorts), he's saying he wants a cut from the outlet making profit from his goods. Which is perfectly understandable when you look at GameStop's profits which are directly related to undercutting shipments of dev's new games. So devs are experiencing smaller initial shipments without reprints with GameStop aggressively marketing the "buy it used next week, trade in your own stuff!" and the dev completely left out in the cold. What other stance should he be taking?

...and that's precisely the problem. I would respect Jaffe if he was honest about it and simply stated something along the lines of "I'm a developer and so it is in my interest that we devs/publishers make as much money as we can because that ensures a more healthy industry, we get more money, whatever".

However that is not what he says. He makes it seem like retailers selling used games are moraly "BAD". They're not. They have the right to do what they do and there's nothing immoral about it.

Some people here complain about the used car analogy because car makers still sell parts and cessories even if the car is resold. Fine. But do you people send a check to the original book publisher when you buy a used book, just because it's "the just thing to do"? Do you send a check to the original publisher when you get a used music CD or film DVD? Do you send a check to the original builders of your house when you resell it to buy a new one? So much fucking hypocrisy.

Like everyone else I want this industry to be healthy, but that doens't mean that we should start witch hunting vendors of used games. They are doing nothing moraly or legaly wrong. It's the publishers job to come up with ways to counter that. Go DD if you want and if you feel that it's better and more profitable for you. Just don't start blaming and whitch hunting and trying to create scape goats.

Personally I wonder who all the used games on the shelves at Gamestop come from. They give people who sell games so little money that to me it's only worth trading a game in if I didn't like it at all- I've never sold a game that I enjoyed enough to play to completion.

Maybe people would be more reluctant to sell games if the industry wasn't so dependent on sequels, and turning every successful game into a franchise? Like God of War, it was a pretty unique game when it came out. But then came GoW2, and soon GoW3. The industry gives gamers the sense that a flashier and more refined version of any game idea is always around the corner, it will make the games you own obsolete, so why bother hanging on to them? Perhaps this wouldn't be an issue if devs actually created more new-IP games.

davidjaffe said:
Well I don't think my products anything to be embarrassed by.

That was an industry directed comment. I've been impressed by what you've done so far, just to be clear.

davidjaffe said:
And this argument is more of a general industry argument/discussion/debate for me; I'm not really worried my new game is gonna get hammered by this. I mean, it WILL, but they always get hammered by it. And that's kind of ok actually, because a hit used game serves as advertising for the sequel and DLC. And as I've said over and over and over, I SUPPORT THE CUSTOMER'S RIGHTS TO GET THE BEST DEAL THEY CAN...I just want to make sure my business can stay healthy and competitive and that if I work my ass off and the team and publisher I work with works our ass off, we can all do really well.

THAT SAID: your 2 reasons for used market are interesting. Question I have is, if there were a moratorium on used games for 4 weeks from when the new game hits, would you see a problem with that?

As a professional courtesy between Gamestop and the publishers, that seems fair. Early digital releases are also a consumer friendly way to insulate new releases from the resell effect. So no, I would not have a problem with that. However, I maintain that there is no legal, or even ethical, obligation on the part of Gamestop or other resellers to be courteous. And, based on the reasons stated in my previous post, I don't personally believe that used games have as dramatic an affect on new game sales as is commonly believed. There's definitely an effect, but I think focusing on games that are multi-player oriented (especially local) and have - not necessarily deeper content but - more interesting content that drives replay, is the only way for publishers to dampen the effects of the used market.

vireland said:
In the macro sense, I think you've covered it, but one of the major things you DIDN'T cover is that Gamestop is ARTIFICALLY pushing consumers into the more-profitable used games by under-stocking new games in the release window. I think if THIS were addressed there would be a LOT less anger in the pub community.

Yes, I agree that this is unfair, anti-competitive behavior. I personally will never shop at Gamestop as they sold me a used game for full price. They are a shitty company.

vireland said:
Personally, I'm kind of in the reverse position. I prefer physical, and because the RPG games we do have special packaging and presentation, the hardcore fans that buy them rarely sell them or buy used. But, the market is what it is, and the market will do what it needs to do to survive. Part of this backlash against Gamestop is due to the way they bend over publishers with copious BS fees for their marketing plans that end up advertising the used games Gamestop pushes by understocking the new game. And that is something legitimate to be upset about. We're talking hundreds of thousands to millions per publisher that "participates".

Okay, but reverse that. Publishers expect gaming stores to survive on a $5 margin (or less) on new games and a non-existent margin on hardware. The market has already proven that a dedicated game store simply can't survive on that alone, with the result being that used-focused chains or specialty stores that mostly deal in old systems and games are all that's left. And we know (I'm sure you know better than most) that you can't turn to general retailers like Best Buy who won't push niche games or keep anything older than last week in stock.

The business model here is pretty terrible across the board for publishers and game stores, but I don't find that a compelling case for screwing consumers.

vireland said:
Mmmm, I disagree. With games, you don't interact with the medium (CD) except to insert it. With books, you interact with the medium on a minute by minute basis. Will some used books be better experiences than others? Yes. Will interacting with the medium degrade the book? A missing page or pages is a bigger problem than a scratch on a game CD. A stinky book will turn me off and affect my experience, unlike a scuffed CD which will deliver the same game as new.

This is crazy talk to me. A scuffed optical-media product will often not be playable when purchased, but there's no good way to gauge this at purchase time except to guess whether your system can read through the level of scratches present. (With a book it's trivial to check that every page is present before purchase.) Furthermore, unlike a CD or DVD, an unreadable portion of a disc of game software often renders all the content following it inaccessible.

I have never been screwed over with an unexpected flaw in a used book and very rarely even seen a significantly degraded experience over buying books new; I can't say the same for games. The terrible way that people in the US treat their games should represent a huge opportunity for the game industry to place value on new copies.

Smash88 said:
Publishers in my mind are beginning to look for a scapegoat instead of just manning up and noticing that they are the ones that are at fault and no one else.

True, and sadly utterly unsurprising (that's what drove the internet-piracy witchhunt from the RIAA in the 1990s, too.) The gaming business model is broke as fuck but companies that already work within the context of that existing model are not interested in switching to something else.

vireland said:
In the macro sense, I think you've covered it, but one of the major things you DIDN'T cover is that Gamestop is ARTIFICALLY pushing consumers into the more-profitable used games by under-stocking new games in the release window.

This is a fair point, but again the converse comes up: right now when a game bombs, stores get stuck with rotten stock. Are publishers going to be willing to switch to a returnable model in exchange for better stockage of brand-new titles? I'm going to guess "no."

Opiate said:
Wouldn't one consumer-friendly solution then be to sell games for a lower initial price?

This has been my advocated position for some time. There's far less traction in the used DVD market because the price range for DVDs is already extremely cheap and numerous specific products sit at a <$10 price sold new. Similarly I'm not sure how much business Gamestop does selling used copies of Greatest Hits titles for $18 but it certainly can't be a lot.

In a world in which games, by default, retail for a consumer-friendly price, the room for GameStop to resell them at a scarcely reduced price but a far higher margin will similarly shrink.

Opiate said:
If what you're telling me is that games like God of War or Uncharted aren't economically feasible, then yes, they need to go away. Oh well. You can make other games, and I can play other ones.

What's funny to me about this is that Jaffe went from making God of War to making what would seem, at first blush, to be a far more sustainable development choice: the multiplayer-focused, small-team Calling All Cars. So in that sense, he already has!

-Rogue5- said:
Saving only $5 is fine, but their buy-back prices are so low in comparison that, in my opinion anyway, they (GS) are almost encouraging people to use other resell methods (ebay, jiji, etc.)

I've never resold a game I paid money for to GameStop, and I certainly don't know any reason I ever would outside of one of those "huge bonus for trading in 5 shitty games!" deals. I honestly assume the majority of trade-ins come from the top 10 brand new games (where they actually pay out quite a bit), uneducated or low-option consumers (like kids), and people pawning stolen games for crack money.

Opiate

Rather than giving a very specific suggestion, I would recommend a larger philosophical position: change what you have control over.

For example, Gamestop's used sale policies are almost entirely outside of Publisher control. You can exert a little influence -- and I recommend that you do that -- but by and large used markets exist in every industry and it would be nigh impossible to quash it.

By contrast, game budget is entirely within your control. 100%. Every penny you spend on the game's budget is your choice. As such, it is within your power to make a game that costs as much as 100 million dollars, just as it is in your control to make a game that costs 100 thousand. Lower budgets could allow lower retail prices. Mr. Pacther identified the lower initial prices of DVDs and CDs (10-20) as reasons why those industries are not suffering as badly from used sales "stealing" revenue. As such, lowering budget would allow you to lower retail price which should supress cost. Remember, this is entirely within your control.

Another example: gameplay mechanics. As with budget, the gameplay mechanics are entirely within the control of the developer/publisher. 100%. And as have been mentioned in this thread, some games seem to have lower trade in rates, while others have higher, and these tend to follow predictable patterns. Games with social and/or multiplayer value tend to be held on to longer. Examples include Mario Kart, Call of Duty, and Wii Fit.

Other options: look for other venues for your products. For example, Arcades allow for a theatre-esque "first release" of a game. If a game were released in Arcades first and then later released on home consoles, this would allow for additional revenue streams. This, however, is not entirely within a publisher's control; game developers have (I believe consciously) quashed the Arcade market in the US, and revivifying that market would take concerted effort from multiple publishers. Nevertheless, the concept works in other industries and could theoretically work in this one, in some form: release the game to a venue outside the consumer's home first, then offer a "home release" later.

To loop back to my original point: focus on the things you can actually control. You can't control rental markets: Nintendo tried and was laughed out of court. You can't control Gamestop. You can control other things, though, and you should concentrate on those.

vireland

charlequin said:
Okay, but reverse that. Publishers expect gaming stores to survive on a $5 margin (or less) on new games and a non-existent margin on hardware. The market has already proven that a dedicated game store simply can't survive on that alone, with the result being that used-focused chains or specialty stores that mostly deal in old systems and games are all that's left. And we know (I'm sure you know better than most) that you can't turn to general retailers like Best Buy who won't push niche games or keep anything older than last week in stock.

Where on EARTH did you get the idea that they were making $5 on a $59 game? The gross margin is somewhere around 3-4x that, more if you add in the marketing money they extract from publishers. $5 on a 19.99 game, maybe, but we're talking new release AAA, and that's nowhere NEAR reality. Don't boo-hoo for them, the retailers are making money on new and used.

vireland said:
Where on EARTH did you get the idea that they were making $5 on a $59 game? The gross margin is somewhere around 3-4x that, more if you add in the marketing money they extract from publishers. $5 on a 19.99 game, maybe, but we're talking new release AAA, and that's nowhere NEAR reality. Don't boo-hoo for them, the retailers are making money on new and used.

Err $5 isn't far off. Their margins are from 7-20% of new products, which is $12 on a new game max. Did gamespot pillage your families village or something? Seriously.

vireland

charlequin said:
This is a fair point, but again the converse comes up: right now when a game bombs, stores get stuck with rotten stock. Are publishers going to be willing to switch to a returnable model in exchange for better stockage of brand-new titles? I'm going to guess "no."

This shows a complete lack of understanding of how the process works. Do you think Gamestop will EAT that stock loss of value? No. They pass it to the publisher in the form of price protection, markdown money, or as a last resort, returns. PLUS they take an upfront line-item deduction for a certain amount of "defective" returns irregardless of what your actual return rate is. Gamestop keeps a reserve on payments to the publisher that is held hostage for just these kinds of deductions (and in case the pub goes out of business). Again, in this case as well, the publisher takes the lion's share of the loss. Are you beginning to grasp why pubs are angry?

FoxSpirit

vireland said:
Because that's the way it *has* worked, and it supported the system in a way that made it possible to make more games. The artificial limitation of choice by Gamestop where new games are understocked so they can push used has been expanded to the point that it will not sustain the market (it IS a symbiotic relationship, after all - no games, no used games to sell), and will force publisher consolidation and a move to digital or a digital/physical hybrid system that strips them of this anyway.

This is kinda ingenious... and evil.
"Sir, if you wait a bit, we'll probably have this game used". Tadah.

No wonder Europe is now #1, this practice literally does not exist here. In a city of 2 million, you only have a few rundown used games stores which also sell cell-phones and nothing new. That's it.

FoxSpirit

vireland said:
This shows a complete lack of understanding of how the process works. Do you think Gamestop will EAT that stock loss of value? No. They pass it to the publisher in the form of price protection, markdown money, or as a last resort, returns. PLUS they take an upfront line-item deduction for a certain amount of "defective" returns irregardless of what your actual return rate is. Gamestop keeps a reserve on payments to the publisher that is held hostage for just these kinds of deductions (and in case the pub goes out of business). Again, in this case as well, the publisher takes the lion's share of the loss. Are you beginning to grasp why pubs are angry?

Not to mention a small time private store eats the losses fully because pubs don't give them ANY protection on their own and with some bad luck, poof.

So large chains which can issue conditions like those to the pubs become more and more dominant in game retail.

DrPirate

Banned
I agree with Jaffe, and I don't know why anyone else wouldn't (if you're a gamer worth their salt in any case).

I can type out a wall of text, but my fundamental point is best left to a small concise statement:

Devs make more money. More money raises the max potential of the quality of the game. I want devs to make more money because I like quality games. It's classic syllogism is it not?

vireland

TheHeretic said:
Err $5 isn't far off. Their margins are from 7-20% of new products, which is $12 on a new game max. Did gamespot pillage your families village or something? Seriously.

Where did you get the 7-20% figure? That's way off in my personal experience.

DrPirate said:
Devs make more money. More money raises the max potential of the quality of the game. I want devs to make more money because I like quality games. It's classic syllogism is it not?

Shitting all over the rights of consumers and retailers in the process? The end doesn't justify the means, and your end is absurdly optimistic anyway.

vireland said:
Where did you get the 7-20% figure? That's way off in my personal experience.

Its commonly cited by analysts. What's your personal experience?

New games should just be $40 to $30 to start and the profit margin on and incentive for people to trade in used games goes way down. Cut retailers a better deal on each new title sold and they have more incentive to push new over used. Also, new games would, IMO, start to sell even better because they can reach more people at the lower pricepoint. And when there's a layer of not so good games that survive based, in great part, to their low pricepoint rather than any objective level of quality, they immediately have to face competition from higher quality games now at the same level. Quality of games goes up, new and used prices come down, used sales level out and everyone is happier. *

*this is, of course, provided that they aren't insanely budgeted titles to begin with and assuming that publishers aren't going to want to push the boundaries of the average new price...because, AFAICT, they were the ones who started this death spiral...retailers only answered back by trying to maintain a workable profit margin. A problem also exists in the form of some sort of stability in the price level of games...something chains (Wal-Mart) and big e-tailers sort of muck up with their competition thanks to their loss-leader-ness. There's little that can be done about that, I suppose... In any case, the relationship is still mutually beneficial between retailer and publisher, so they need to work something out regardless if they are both to continue receiving those benefits. 100% DD is not here and yet we cannot go back to a DD-less world. Whatever it is, figure it out, assholes...or you may find that the majority of your consumers have told you to fuck right off.

vireland

TheHeretic said:
Shitting all over the rights of consumers and retailers in the process? The end doesn't justify the means, and your end is absurdly optimistic anyway.

Its commonly cited by analysts. What's your personal experience?

Link, please or it didn't happen. Also, you may be citing net margin (which still seems too skimpy), while I'm citing gross margin.

My experience? I have sold more than a million games into retail in my career. I think I have a grasp of the issues and the costs/profits.

StoOgE

DrPirate said:
I agree with Jaffe, and I don't know why anyone else wouldn't (if you're a gamer worth their salt in any case).

I can type out a wall of text, but my fundamental point is best left to a small concise statement:

Except it shits all over a fundamental principle of a free society in order to get "higher quality games" which I doubt we would actually see as a result of this.

Gamestop is taking the risk of loss when they buy a used game. They should get the profit if and when they sell it. Simple enough.

Developers have no skin in the "used" game market. If gamestop buys games for too much and can't sell them used the developers/publishers don't eat a loss.

vireland said:
Where on EARTH did you get the idea that they were making $5 on a $59 game?

Err, ooops. Saying $5 there was a mistake (I think I got the retail margin and the used game discount swapped around in the course of an edit there) but in my experience the markup dealing with people trying (unsuccessfully) to start a video game store, the retail markup on a new $50 game was around $10, a number that Ars Technica's "price breakdown" superficially agrees with. If Gamestop is getting a $20 margin on a $60 game now I'd have to imagine it's in part in the form of discounts or "kickbacks" from the publishers. (If there's some sort of expected marketing-payment any major title's publisher pays out to GS that'd explain it.)

Regardless, my argument isn't that Gamestop (a ludicrously profitable company) is in a bad position, but that Gamestop is a monster created by market realities: you can't meaningfully operate an independent game retail business without trading extensively in old product due to thin margins, and the big-box stores offer an overall worse alternative for the majority of companies.

Agent X

SamBishop said:
They're essentially controlling all aspects of a game's sale before, during and after the process and making profits all along the way, then have the audacity to cry foul when publishers just want to sell directly to the consumer. It's not a matter of a game exchanging hands from one person who no longer wants it to someone who does, it's scalping by way of a middle man. If you trade in a game and get $10 credit and they in turn mark it up to $50 and then offer it to customers who come in for a new game for $10 less, everyone except GameStop is losing out -- especially you who already paid full price for the game (you or someone at some point).

With regard to the scenario where the guy traded in his game for a measly $10, did the clerk follow him home, storm into his house, and force him at gunpoint? Or did he bring his game to the store, where the clerk told him, "I'll give you 10 bucks for it," and the guy willingly agreed to it?

vireland said:
As Gamestop, sell a used game and you're getting 80%-90% of the value in the release window, and making north of $15-20 per sale. It's TREMENDOUSLY more lucrative than CDs or Books, and that's why there's an infrastructure that's grown to harvest that where used books and music is more of a niche because they just aren't as profitable. Also, the STAFF required to make a CD or book is miniscule compared to a game.

I understand that this is lucrative for the retail shops, and that it may seem unfair to the game developers and publishers who aren't making a single penny out of it. But let me repeat a key point that I (and others here) have mentioned earlier, which conveniently got lost in the shuffle:

Where did the used game shops obtain their used games from?

From consumers, of course. Consumers who paid $50-$60 for a new game, played it for a year or maybe a month or maybe even a day, then felt like getting rid of it. And just why did they get rid of it? Because they didn't want it anymore. Perhaps the game is a short story-driven game that's light on content and lighter on replay value. Perhaps the game is tedious and unbearably difficult and the guy just felt it's not worth his time or effort to grind with it. Or perhaps the game just flat-out sucks.

If developers make better games that are fun to play and have lots of replayability, then maybe, just maybe us consumers will want to keep them. They won't trade them in, which in turn means the retailers won't have any used copies to resell.

vireland said:
In the macro sense, I think you've covered it, but one of the major things you DIDN'T cover is that Gamestop is ARTIFICALLY pushing consumers into the more-profitable used games by under-stocking new games in the release window. I think if THIS were addressed there would be a LOT less anger in the pub community.

If the game is of high quality, and offers great incentive to replay the game over an extended period of time (such as online or offline multiplayer, high score leaderboards, multiple branching story paths), then you won't see large numbers of people trading in that game during the release window.

DrPirate

Banned
TheHeretic said:

What the hell is a consumer right? That exists?

Bleh, disregard my contribution to discussion. I know nothing of economists and just speak about the way I'd LIKE things to be.

I have no problems admitting I'm wrong.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
davidjaffe said:
(i.e. digital distribution where DD copies are priced for less, having parts of the game not unlock unless it's a new copy until 6 months after the game has shipped;etc)

DD games are priced less, but they're usually less of a game, with much smaller budgets too. So 99% of the time you're not getting the same value, production value out of a $20 dd game as you do out of a game like God of War 3 or most retail disk releases. Hell, Warhawk was $40, the same price it cost at retail. GranTurismo Prologue was $40, same price as the retail release.

I think it's false to say we're getting a break buying it digitally. There's just no proof that's true. The only time it is true is when Steam or some other service runs a sale. That happens to be the only time I buy a DD'd game when there's a choice, and I've never paid more than $25 for a DD game, and I only did that once. I'm not anti-dd either. I have 16 PSN games, and 14 or 15 XBLA games. Most of them were $10, and that's the sweet spot for me. For $10 bucks, you got it, I'll buy your game, and I'll try a lot of games that get decent reviews. For $20, I'll buy a couple AAA rated games. For $30, I will buy Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted, and only my very favorite games. For $40, forget it, I'm not paying that for a DD game. I'll wait for a sale, or I just won't buy it.

You can say don't let the door hit you on the way out, but I'm someone that buys a lot of new games. The video game industry makes a lot of money off of me right now. I also buy some used games, but I'll buy new if the price is right and the game is good.

vireland

charlequin said:
Err, ooops. Saying $5 there was a mistake (I think I got the retail margin and the used game discount swapped around in the course of an edit there) but in my experience the markup dealing with people trying (unsuccessfully) to start a video game store, the retail markup on a new $50 game was around $10, a number that Ars Technica's "price breakdown" superficially agrees with. If Gamestop is getting a $20 margin on a $60 game now I'd have to imagine it's in part in the form of discounts or "kickbacks" from the publishers. (If there's some sort of expected marketing-payment any major title's publisher pays out to GS that'd explain it.)

Regardless, my argument isn't that Gamestop (a ludicrously profitable company) is in a bad position, but that Gamestop is a monster created by market realities: you can't meaningfully operate an independent game retail business without trading extensively in old product due to thin margins, and the big-box stores offer an overall worse alternative for the majority of companies.

Gamestore != Gamestop, because there are layers of distribution in between the pub and store for the mom and pop stores and an economy of scale present with Gamestop that does not benefit the mom and pops. Half (or more) the potential profit of a title is taken by distribution before it gets to a mom and pop store, so you can't use those for a Gamestop thesis.

DrPirate said:

Bleh, disregard my contribution to discussion. I know nothing of economists and just speak about the way I'd LIKE things to be.

You don't know that consumers have rights? Are you like 11?

NeoUltima

DrPirate said:

Pretty much.
This whole thing is ridiculous tbh.
Why the hell would any typical consumer care that the pub/dev gets a cut of used GS sale anyway? It's still 54.99 to them. This just boggles my mind. GS has no room to raise their used prices anymore anyway, so consumers won't pay extra. And they make such a large profit on used sales that paying a little in royalties won't hurt much anyhow. As gamers we should be supporting our developers(especially when it doesn't hurt us in return anyway!)

Of course this is all pointless again, cause it will never happen. People are just argueing some hypothetical shit(including me :/).
Pubs/devs will continue on the path of DLC, pre-order bonuses, and shoehorning in MP. And of course DD will be taking off in big ways in the future(discounted price of disc counterparts).

StoOgE

DrPirate said:

Yes. When you buy something you have the right to turn around and sell it at the best price you can. Interjecting a 3rd party to your transaction (the publisher) who doesn't actually participate in the transaction is going to hurt the consumer at the end of the day.

vireland said:
Gamestore != Gamestop, because there are layers of distribution in between the pub and store for the mom and pop stores and an economy of scale present with Gamestop that does not benefit the mom and pops. Half (or more) the potential profit of a title is taken by distribution before it gets to a mom and pop store, so you can't use those for a Gamestop thesis.

You are making shit up dude. How do you know what distribution costs are for a "mom and pop" store? Gamestop makes about $10 bucks a game, which is consistent with a lot of retail.

Wizman23

Banned
It will be a great day when Gamestop goes under. The thing I can't stand about Gamestop is 95% of the people that work there know NOTHING about games. You can't make a simple purchase without being bombarded with 9 million questions on games you should pre order according to them. Each transaction at the counter takes 20 minutes with all the bullshit you go through. If people are trading in games, you might as well come back in an hour. The only purpose I have for Gamestop is a midnight launch maybe once a year (amazon.com for all my other gaming purchases). If I had the choice to download a new game at midnight I would even pay more for it. I'm 100% on board for DD. Even though I doubt it will happen this generation Id like to see MS or Sony grow some balls and put a brand new triple A title up for download at midnight on launch day just to see what would happen.

StoOgE

NeoUltima said:
Pretty much.
This whole thing is ridiculous tbh.
Why the hell would any typical consumer care that the pub/dev gets a cut of used GS sale anyway? It's still 54.99 to them. This just boggles my mind. GS has no room to raise their used prices anymore anyway, so consumers won't pay extra. And they make such a large profit on used sales that paying a little in royalties won't hurt much anyhow. As gamers we should be supporting our developers(especially when it doesn't hurt us in return anyway!)

Of course this is all pointless again, cause it will never happen. People are just argueing some hypothetical shit(including me :/).
Pubs/devs will continue on the path of DLC, pre-order bonuses, and shoehorning in MP. And of course DD will be taking off in big ways in the future(discounted price of disc counterparts).

Gamestop may not be able to mark up the newer releases as used games, but they can certainly pay less for the used copy. And they can wait longer to drop used game prices, etc.

You are being naive if you think gamestop will simply pay the developers without passing at least some of that cost on to the consumer.

Plus, there is still no good reason WHY the developer should get to put their hand back in the cookie jar. They made their money on the new game sale. That is all they are entitled to.

Ardorx

Banned
davidjaffe said:
I would be fine with game rentals if there were a waiting period of 1-3 months from when game hits retail to when it can be rented. As is, I can't stand them. But would be fine with them if we had the waiting period, like movies do.

I actually like this answer. It's not one I typically hear from developers.

If GameStop had a waiting period before they sold new games as USED, would you be more open to that? Also, do you acknowledge that used games sometimes encourage people to buy new? I.E. for sequels and other games made by that Publisher/Developer.

vireland

Agent X said:
If the game is of high quality, and offers great incentive to replay the game over an extended period of time (such as online or offline multiplayer, high score leaderboards, multiple branching story paths), then you won't see large numbers of people trading in that game during the release window.

This statement leaves out a huge segment of the market, and one Gamestop trades on. Kids with limited resources that have to trade in the current game for credit to get the next game. My son has some friends like this that are locked into the Gamestop store credit morass. No access to credit/debit cards, and limited financial resources, so they trade games ALL the time, and turn them to get the next game. It's a TERRIBLE value for them, but their options are limited. I think Gamestop has a LOT of customers like this.

StoOgE

Ardorx said:
I actually like this answer. It's not one I typically hear from developers.

If GameStop had a waiting period before they sold new games, would you be more open to that? Also, do you acknowledge that used games sometimes encourage people to buy new? I.E. for sequels and other games made by that Publisher/Developer.

Except movies don't have a waiting period. The day a movie comes out on DVD it is for rent at blockbuster (sometimes sooner). Jaffe is trying to compare a games release date to a movie hitting the theater. Videogames don't have an equivalent to a theater release. They used to, but arcades died.

If they want to do something like Jaffe is proposing they need to come up with some mechanism for it. Restricting a consumers ability to rent a game or sell a game arbitrarily hurts the consumer directly.

vireland said:
That's a link to the same quote you made with no attribution. ("In contrast, gross margins for new consoles and games are 7% to 20%, according to analysts.") The VERY next line is attributed to a specific analyst, so there's NO excuse for leaving that one out unless it was spurious.

Try again. Link, please.

Why am I providing links? How about you go out and find the margins on games for gamestop? You have nothing to offer apart from your "experience", which is what? Are you a gamestop accountant?

NeoUltima

StoOgE said:
Gamestop may not be able to mark up the newer releases as used games, but they can certainly pay less for the used copy. And they can wait longer to drop used game prices, etc.

You are being naive if you think gamestop will simply pay the developers without passing at least some of that cost on to the consumer.

Plus, there is still no good reason WHY the developer should get to put their hand back in the cookie jar. They made their money on the new game sale. That is all they are entitled to.
And if they lower the trade-in value, than people may wise up and realize GS has been ripping them off all along(GS gets less trade-ins). Again as I said, this is all theoretical. There will never be any sort of legislation passed on this so talking about it is a waste. Also I was under the impression they drop used prices when the new price goes down. (except in rare cases like CoD4 when it stays $60 for 3 years and they have too many used copies in stock)
Remember theoretical, its not going to happen anyway! (no matter what one's opinion is)

Tellaerin

Opiate said:
Other options: look for other venues for your products. For example, Arcades allow for a theatre-esque "first release" of a game. If a game were released in Arcades first and then later released on home consoles, this would allow for additional revenue streams. This, however, is not entirely within a publisher's control; game developers have (I believe consciously) quashed the Arcade market in the US, and revivifying that market would take concerted effort from multiple publishers. Nevertheless, the concept works in other industries and could theoretically work in this one, in some form: release the game to a venue outside the consumer's home first, then offer a "home release" later.

I would love something like this.

I envision something along the lines of a net cafe (hourly fees to pay, nice environment, refreshments sold on site), where people would have a chance to play games 3-6 months before they're released to retail, and the publishers get a substantial cut of the revenues.

If they build it, I will come.

vireland said:
Are you beginning to grasp why pubs are angry?

Err, well, what you've described so far is "publishers are mad because they let GameStop put them in a frilly pink dress and tie them up over a barrel," which I guess qualifies as a good reason to be angry. :lol

I certainly understand your feelings about it, because you ran a small publisher (that I was a big fan of) and the GameStop/EB business practices were all guaranteed to screw you over in a deeply unpleasant way. But the situation looks very different when you try to look at anyone who isn't Gamestop breaking into the market: these people get lower margins, don't get price protection on rotten stock, and otherwise are squeezed into a business model that is literally unsupportable without delving into some kind of used product.

I'll happily admit to being surprised that Gamestop gets special dispensation on price protection and returnability from publishers because, again, nobody else who wants to sell games gets that.

vireland said:

Gamestop sucks! I'm very open about that: they're a pawn shop that trades on people's ignorance and on stolen goods to profit, and they'll take a pair of pliers to the nuts of a small publisher without a moment's hesitation. They also have the only sustainable business model for operating a dedicated game retail business.

Gamestop has this huge leverage over publishers because they need there to be specialty retailers, but it's the business model that publishers have uniformly adopted that ensure that nobody who isn't Gamestop (either literally, or in the form of a different chain with nigh-identical policies) can actually operate a game retail store.

vireland

TheHeretic said:
Why am I providing links? How about you go out and find the margins on games for gamestop? You have nothing to offer apart from your "experience", which is what? Are you a gamestop accountant?

Well, I've published and sold more than 30 games TO gamestop (well, babbages, funcoland, EB, etc, etc as well, but they're all gamestop now), so I know the wholesale and retail points well.

You're providing links to back up the statement you made as an outsider with no practical knowledge of the industry from an insider's perspective. You=outsider guessing, me=insider who knows. If you have an analyst link, I'll see what they're blabbing about, but in my experience, 7-20% for the gross margin on new games for Gamestop is laughable.

Top Bottom