• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM 216 - June 2007

Durante

Pureauthor said:
Durante, for clarity's sake, could you define 'a while'?
Well, in the P2 case it became problematic after about 2 days I'd say. So I guess if you're playing every few hours or once per day on a handheld, or the game does not require you to remember as much, it won't be a big problem. I still prefer consoles for RPGs - there's plenty to fall back to in my argumentation, like the control ergonomics (I got cramps after playing Gurumin or the Castlevanias on DS for prolonged periods), the size of the screen, the immersion in more story-driven games, as well as all the technical factors of course. So bah :lol

TONX said:
Disgaea PS3?! YESSS!
This bears repeating. Strategy RPGs with PS2-level graphics, perhaps even in HD, here we come!

Avalon

Pureauthor said:
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't so much worried as confused, considering how highly people like duckroll and john tv rated it. Thus the low score in EGM comes as a bit of a surprise.

What's surprising about it? I don't think Etrian Odyssey will be reviewed well by any of the bigger sites/magazines. It just isn't the kind of game that has wide appeal and it certainly lacks all the qualities of a game that can just be picked up and played (which is all reviewers seem to care at times).

ethelred

Avalon said:
What's so hard to understand? I don't think Etrian Odyssey will be reviewed well by any of the bigger sites/magazines. It just isn't the kind of game that has wide appeal and it certainly lacks all the qualities of a game that can just be picked up and played (which is all reviewers seem to care at times).

Pretty much. Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga don't exactly have sterling scores on Gamerankings, either.

FIREBABY

Mrbob said:
Did Sakaguchi really say MS marketing sucks? Wow. :lol

Did he lie? Really, the only good marketing I've ever seen was Halo and Gears. Look at the Crackdown ads for an example of how not to market your game.

Durante said:
Well, in the P2 case it became problematic after about 2 days I'd say. So I guess if you're playing every few hours or once per day on a handheld, or the game does not require you to remember as much, it won't be a big problem. I still prefer consoles for RPGs - there's plenty to fall back to in my argumentation, like the control ergonomics (I got cramps after playing Gurumin or the Castlevanias on DS for prolonged periods), the size of the screen, the immersion in more story-driven games, as well as all the technical factors of course. So bah :lol

Oh. Well, when we talk 'pauses' in handhelds, we usually mean an hour, tops. :lol

What's surprising about it? I don't think Etrian Odyssey will be reviewed well by any of the bigger sites/magazines. It just isn't the kind of game that has wide appeal and it certainly lacks all the qualities of a game that can just be picked up and played (which is all reviewers seem to care at times).

I just forgot that games from genres I like aren't always rated favourably by the mainstream, 'kay?

pswii60

sangreal said:
Not much to this interview but I said I'd post the details...

Sakaguchi interview
-More praise for Gears of War
-His dream project is a surfing sim
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."
-Thinks Square Enix puts too much focus on FF/DQ
-Wii is intriguing but not working on any Wii games
-Goal with Cry On is to make the player cry every 15 minutes
-Microsoft's marketing sucks
-"When creating Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest wasn't on my mind. I was actually thinking about Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon is an extension of that game."
-"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

:lol at some of his comments.

This guy makes me laugh. He really does say what he thinks.

I was inclined to previously believe he just said what MS told him too, but obviously not because their marketing sucks.

Avalon

Pureauthor said:
I just forgot that games from genres I like aren't always rated favourably by the mainstream, 'kay?

Okay. :)

I'm just happy knowing the game attempts certain things and it does them well.

Hey, Sakaguchi! Why don't you give up your kung-fu grip on your part of the Chrono Trigger IP rights, so Square can give me a CT port for DS? Thanks.

sangreal

EndWar
-Directed by Michael de Plater (formerly of Creative Assembly, where he worked on Total War)
-Inspired by... Madden
-No explicit multiplayer or single-player modes. 1 global campaign map for both game types
-Three factions: U.S. Joint Strike Force, European Enforcers, and Russian Spetsnaz
-Persistent Risk-like online campaign map. Everyone plays in this single, global campaign. The war ends when one faction conquers the majority of territories and then a new campaign starts.
-Each campaign can be different. They give the example that if America is conquered in one campaign, they can start the next campaign "to liberate U.S. soil with a massive new 'D-Day' landing on the East coast."
-"[The Battle for Middle-earth II] was a test case for exactly what we didn't want to do" (Referring to them taking a traditional PC RTS and re-mapping the controls"
-"The first thing we did was ban any reference to the PC. We were determined to design it from the ground up for console."
-Camera is always attached to a unit. The idea is to remove the god-like vision found in RTS games by having a more realistic line of sight.
-You can, however, toggle a full battlefield map where you can give your orders.
-Voice-command system that can control every aspect of the game
-7 unit types: Riflemen, Engineers, Tanks, Transports, Helicopters, Artillery, and Command Vehicles
-Limit of 12 units/squads in battle
-Unit costs are all equal
-No "magic", meaning for something to get to the battlefield it needs to be delivered, etc.
-"Everything is destructible"
-On units: "It's a battalion that you own. You can personalize it. You can customize it. You can choose its motto and its heraldry. You can change its compositions and abilities.
-If your soldiers die, they are gone for good along with their upgrades. If they live they gain experience & medals.
-"Nothing in EndWar seems more detailed and obsessed over than the surprisingly varied way soldiers act (and react) on the battlefield."
-For example: "Squadrons of heavily armed soldiers, when ordered to a cluster of firebombed cars, will automatically take cover in different ways, periodically taking potshots at the enemy through windows and over hoods. If a soldier gets shot, one of his squad mates will drag him back to safety"

Wii is dead it seems, looking at EGM´s tests.

sangreal said:
Next Kingdom Hearts game will be a spin-off that will appear on a "hearty console"

Ok, supposing that they mean the Wii:

WHY-Square-Enix, should i buy a spin-pff of KingdomHearts, when i´ll NEVER get to understand the story without buying a PS2 and perhaps PS3?!?
This is so retarded.
Give us KH1+2-Collection and KH3, but not a spin-off, that will make no sense at all story-wise for Wii-gamer.

sangreal

EndWar definitely looks like it got a lot of its inspiration from Total War. Not surprising considering the Director's background.

It also reminds me of an old Sierra non-traditional RTS whose name escapes me

sangreal

MasterMFauli said:

WHY-Square-Enix, should i buy a spin-pff of KingdomHearts, when i´ll NEVER get to understand the story without buying a PS2 and perhaps PS3?!?
This is so retarded.
Give us KH1+2-Collection and KH3, but not a spin-off, that will make no sense at all story-wise for Wii-gamer.

Wasn't the last spin-off released on GBA or something (Chain of Memories)

Don't see how releasing a spin-off on Wii would be different really

sangreal said:
Not much to this interview but I said I'd post the details...

Sakaguchi interview
-More praise for Gears of War
-His dream project is a surfing sim
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."
-Thinks Square Enix puts too much focus on FF/DQ
-Wii is intriguing but not working on any Wii games
-Goal with Cry On is to make the player cry every 15 minutes
-Microsoft's marketing sucks
-"When creating Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest wasn't on my mind. I was actually thinking about Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon is an extension of that game."
-"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

:lol :lol :lol :lol
Very nice.

MasterMFauli said:
This is so retarded.

This is assuming that SE thinks that this KH spin-off will sell to the Nintendo hardcore that missed out on a PS2 last-gen.

Square aims their game at mass-market (or, mass market insofar as the videogame market goes). Their target lies in the big install base, not in console specific gamers. And the 'big install base' is mostly likely going to the Wii at this point.

Pureauthor said:
This is assuming that SE thinks that this KH spin-off will sell to the Nintendo hardcore that missed out on a PS2 last-gen.

Square aims their game at mass-market (or, mass market insofar as the videogame market goes). Their target lies in the big install base, not in console specific gamers. And the 'big install base' is mostly likely going to the Wii at this point.

Not that I think this spinoff will come to the Wii or anything but don't forget teh kiddy. Teh kiddy. Don't forget teh kiddy and Disney.

sangreal said:
Wasn't the last spin-off released on GBA or something (Chain of Memories)

Don't see how releasing a spin-off on Wii would be different really

Chain of Memories wasn't really a spin-off. It actually directly continued the story from KH1 and led right into KH2. So, the whole "why would Square put a spin-off on a console without the original games" argument is pretty much void.

Even so, I imagine a spin-off would mean a game in the KH universe sans Sora, Rikku, etc. If it's on a Nintendo console, then expect some Nintendo characters.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GAF <3 Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright gets mediocre scores
GAF still <3 Phoenix Wright

GAF <3 Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey gets a bad score
GAF still <3 Etrian Odyssey

Dawn of Mana - 4.5/5.0/4.0

Completely expected, but I'm still disappointed. I guess I need no further indication that the Mana series has entirely run out of steam.

Etrian Odyssey - 8.0/4.0/6.0

:(

....I'll probably buy it anyways...

MasterMFauli said:

WHY-Square-Enix, should i buy a spin-pff of KingdomHearts,

Because it'll have Nintendo characters instead of Disney ones?

Superfrog

sangreal said:
Yes, but they ARE doing a full review next month (though the game may be out by then), which is unusual for games featured in the wrap-ups.
Thanks (also for all the other information)! It was the case for GRAW 2 as well, if I remember correctly. I just wasn't sure about the term "review wrap-up".

The gist of the wrap-up was that the game is impressive and that everything is coming together right at the end of the project
Hm, okay. I guess that's exactly what was said in the EGM preview and in one of the recent 1UP shows.

Mog

I WANT MORE OF DEAD OR ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \o/

PS3, DS, Wii, 360, whatever!!!!!!!!! I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few weeks and were playin Rachel through vigor-kingdom!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Kabouter

sangreal said:
EndWar definitely looks like it got a lot of its inspiration from Total War. Not surprising considering the Director's background.

It also reminds me of an old Sierra non-traditional RTS whose name escapes me

Sounded very Battlezonish to me. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

Busty

Banned
TONX said:
Disgaea PS3?! YESSS!

Something just occured to me. Wouldn't it make more sense for this game to be distributed/delivered over PSN rather than Blu Ray?

For a title like this, I imagine that PSN would make alot more sense rather than using a Blu Ray disc, the majority of which could go unused.

Durante

Busty said:
Something just occured to me. Wouldn't it make more sense for this game to be distributed/delivered over PSN rather than Blu Ray?
It would make sense. IMHO it makes sense to release every game as a download (say $10 cheaper than retail), at least as an alternative. But they won't do it, as many people wouldn't pay $50 for a download.

ethelred

I think folks hoping for PS2-level visuals from Nippon Ichi on the PS3 are getting a bit overexpectant here -- wouldn't the first natural progression from Saturn games be Dreamcast games?

CAPCOWNED

Banned
sangreal said:
"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

Why does he care if it's tricky? Mistwalker only make the concept then sends it off to an outside developer anyway.

Durante

ethelred said:
I think folks hoping for PS2-level visuals from Nippon Ichi on the PS3 are getting a bit overexpectant here -- wouldn't the first natural progression from Saturn games be Dreamcast games?
As long as they render their 12-polygon 3D backgrounds in HD and upgrade their 2D art to the Dreamcast-standard of 640*480 I'll have no complaints at all.

Busty

Banned
Durante said:
It would make sense. IMHO it makes sense to release every game as a download (say $10 cheaper than retail), at least as an alternative. But they won't do it, as many people wouldn't pay $50 for a download.

Agreed. I think this early in the game it's likely that $25/30 will be many consumers limit to downloadable gaming prices. For some smaller titles a retail/download combination might work, but not for the majority of releases.

I don't think it's practical from a business or technical point of view. Seeing as how Sony first party games are going to start needed the 50 gig Blu Ray discs in the next year or so I can't see anyone wanting to wait a week for their 30+gig game to download via PSN.

I think Sony's retail partners would also rather see a clear divide between what can be bought in shops and what can be downloaded.

If I was Square I'd base my Kingdom Hearts 3 port based on the budget. If it's a relatively cheap game compared to FF13, I'd stick it on PS3, re-use the white engine and hope that KH3 helps to boost install base so that FF13 gets more sales.

If it's a huge investment than Wii would be nice for guaranteed return on the investment.

Uncle AJ

Kinda sounds like EndWar is Full Spectrum Warrior, but with individual soldier classes. It also blatantly rips off the persistent online war concept from Chromehounds (3 nations fight until one wins, then the war restarts.... hrm... ), but that's cool since it was the most awesome thing about CH.

Durante

ethelred said:
I'm trying to find that laughie icon. I can't find it.
Hey, let's make a bet. If their PS3 Disgaea (assuming it's actually coming) doesn't render the background 3D stuff in 720p I'll stop complaining about portable RPGing. What can you hold against that?

In all seriousness, do you really believe they wouldn't render their 3D levels in HD for a PS3 game? It doesn't cost them anything.

fernoca

The Kingdom Hearts rumors..is ..well, expected..and goes along with all the rumors floating around...

-Disney obtaining the Kingdom Hearts 'franchise' from Square
-Nomura saying that the 3rd game, (probably) is not going to be called Kingdom Hearts
-Disney and Nintendo making a game together

In some ways, it could be something big...if done right, maybe even bigger than the original series.

Disney + Final Fantasy characters was great, though many ignored who the heck was Vivi..and things like that.

But Disney + Nintendo characters...is something that many will recognize...more if in the cover it shows Mickey Mouse and Super Mario standing together...hehehehehe..

So maybe, in the end what the Wii/DS are going to get is their own spinoff of the Kingdom Hearts series..with the Wiimote being used mostly as a keyblade. :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hearty to me does not mean "has a nice heart." I think of a "hearty vegetable" or a "hearty soup." It's rich or something.

Wii isn't really what I would consider hearty in the traditional sense of the term. When I hear the word hearty, I think of a lumberjack. Wii I would describe more as "light" perhaps.

REV 09

I'd expect that PS3 DoA to be a port of DoA 4 with some minor additions. I really think that Team Ninja is more interested in porting their previous titles around than building new AAA products. I enjoyed DoA 4 though, and actually think the series gets too much unwarranted hate...a PS3 port could possibly open a lot of people up to the series, so it could be beneficial to them to make a PS3 version.

Deepblue

Banned
Mo the Hawk said:
Kinda sounds like EndWar is Full Spectrum Warrior, but with individual soldier classes. It also blatantly rips off the persistent online war concept from Chromehounds (3 nations fight until one wins, then the war restarts.... hrm... ), but that's cool since it was the most awesome thing about CH.
More games need to rip off Chromehounds online mode.
I already know I'll buy EndWar. I'm such a sucker for anything Clancy.

ethelred

Durante said:
Hey, let's make a bet. If their PS3 Disgaea (assuming it's actually coming) doesn't render the background 3D stuff in 720p I'll stop complaining about portable RPGing. What can you hold against that?

A deal where I've got nothing to lose? Sure, why not!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Hearty to me does not mean "has a nice heart." I think of a "hearty vegetable" or a "hearty soup." It's rich or something.

Wii isn't really what I would consider hearty in the traditional sense of the term. When I hear the word hearty, I think of a lumberjack. Wii I would describe more as "light" perhaps.

Yeah, I really have no idea how people are reading that and thinking Wii or DS.

AntMurda

I'd expect that PS3 DoA to be a port of DoA 4 with some minor additions.

Dude. That fully qualifies itself as a DOA sequel. Or do we live on different planets? I like the DOA series but I wish the emphasis would not be about featuring giant boobed japanese girls. Give me more ninjas, bad ass dudes with deeper fighting systems. I can settle with 3 giant boobed chicks... but 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, is just ridiculous.

Tiktaalik

Damn all the reviews I wanted to read are in the "too late" category. Does that mean some of them will show up next month or will we never get them?

Top Bottom