• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM 216 - June 2007

sangreal

th_70487_egm216_122_440lo.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3158897

Cover Story
EndWar

Previews
God of War PSP
Manhunt 2
Fracture

PS2 Reviews
Dawn of Mana - 4.5/5.0/4.0
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm - 4.0/4.5/6.0
.Hack//G.U Vol.2: Remininisce - 6.0/4.0/5.0

DS Reviews
Etrian Odyssey - 8.0/4.0/6.0
Time Ace - 3.0/4.0/3.5

PSP Reviews
Brooktown High - 4.0/5.5/5.0
Coded Arms: Contagion - 7.0/4.0/5.0

Xbox 360 Reviews
C&C 3 - 7.0/8.0/7.0 (GOTM)
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - 4.5/4.0/4.0

PS3 Reviews
F.E.A.R - 6.0/5.0/5.0

In order of Score:
C&C 3 - 7.0/8.0/7.0 (GOTM)
Coded Arms: Contagion - 7.0/4.0/5.0
F.E.A.R - 6.0/5.0/5.0
.Hack//G.U Vol.2: Remininisce - 6.0/4.0/5.0
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm - 4.0/4.5/6.0
Brooktown High - 4.0/5.5/5.0
Dawn of Mana - 4.5/5.0/4.0
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - 4.5/4.0/4.0
Time Ace - 3.0/4.0/3.5

Review Wrap-Ups
Forza Motorsport 2
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos
Cube
Touch The Dead
Death JR and The Science Fair of Doom

Rumors
Team Ninja working on PS3 exclusive DoA game
Hudson working on a Bonk game for DS/Wii
Capcom remaking the original Megaman for PSN
Next Kingdom Hearts game will be a spin-off that will appear on a "hearty console"

Q-Tip Rumors
Professor Layton is coming to the US
Disgaea series coming to PS3
Harmonix working on getting a big band for Rock Band music

Sakaguchi interview
-More praise for Gears of War
-His dream project is a surfing sim
-On FF12: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."
-Thinks Square Enix puts too much focus on FF/DQ
-Wii is intriguing but not working on any Wii games
-Goal with Cry On is to make the player cry every 15 minutes
-Microsoft's marketing sucks
-"When creating Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest wasn't on my mind. I was actually thinking about Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon is an extension of that game."
-"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi"

EndWar
-Directed by Michael de Plater (formerly of Creative Assembly, where he worked on Total War)
-Inspired by... Madden
-No explicit multiplayer or single-player modes. 1 global campaign map for both game types
-Three factions: U.S. Joint Strike Force, European Enforcers, and Russian Spetsnaz
-Persistent Risk-like online campaign map. Everyone plays in this single, global campaign. The war ends when one faction conquers the majority of territories and then a new campaign starts.
-Each campaign can be different. They give the example that if America is conquered in one campaign, they can start the next campaign "to liberate U.S. soil with a massive new 'D-Day' landing on the East coast."
-"[The Battle for Middle-earth II] was a test case for exactly what we didn't want to do" (Referring to them taking a traditional PC RTS and re-mapping the controls"
-"The first thing we did was ban any reference to the PC. We were determined to design it from the ground up for console."
-Camera is always attached to a unit. The idea is to remove the god-like vision found in RTS games by having a more realistic line of sight.
-You can, however, toggle a full battlefield map where you can give your orders.
-Voice-command system that can control every aspect of the game
-7 unit types: Riflemen, Engineers, Tanks, Transports, Helicopters, Artillery, and Command Vehicles
-Limit of 12 units/squads in battle
-Unit costs are all equal
-No "magic", meaning for something to get to the battlefield it needs to be delivered, etc.
-"Everything is destructible"
-On units: "It's a battalion that you own. You can personalize it. You can customize it. You can choose its motto and its heraldry. You can change its compositions and abilities.
-If your soldiers die, they are gone for good along with their upgrades. If they live they gain experience & medals.
-"Nothing in EndWar seems more detailed and obsessed over than the surprisingly varied way soldiers act (and react) on the battlefield."
-For example: "Squadrons of heavily armed soldiers, when ordered to a cluster of firebombed cars, will automatically take cover in different ways, periodically taking potshots at the enemy through windows and over hoods. If a soldier gets shot, one of his squad mates will drag him back to safety"

DS Reviews

In order of Score:
C&C 3
Etrian Odyssey
Coded Arms: Contagion
F.E.A.R
.Hack//G.U Vol.2: Remininisce
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Brooktown High
Dawn of Mana
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia
Time Ace

MAN, this must've been a lousy month. :lol

Anyway, what gives with that EU score? Most every jGAFfer who played it loved it.

I cannot wait to see the explanation as to why EU got so lousy scores from 2 of the reviewers.

Rumours:

Next Kingdom Hearts game will be a spin-off that will appear on a "hearty console"

Wii Health! It's all so clear now! :lol

Professor Layton is coming to the US

'Bout time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
WTF IS ENDWAR.

Someone answer the damn question!!!

The new Tom Clancy. The cover is at the link posted (or that was posted originally).

Also, I wonder what PS3 games are in those 12 pages of previews.

RumFore

Banned
Yay!! So now I should expect my issue in 1-2 weeks. The norm it takes for it to be delivered after it hits the net.

sangreal

Kafel said:
What does "hearty" means please ?

explain with a name of console please

beats me. that is all it says

I will work on a summary of the EndWar article in a little bit but I will say it looks awesome. They refer to it at Madden at War

Durante

Pureauthor said:
I cannot wait to see the explanation as to why EU got so lousy scores from 2 of the reviewers.
Because it's a dungeon crawler? (Like AI3 for that matter) If anything, the scores for the last 5 or so traditional dungeon crawling games in most mainstream publications should have prepared you for this. I'm more surprized that they apparently have one guy who "gets" it.

Also, DISGAEA PS3 !!!11111

gofreak said:
The new Tom Clancy. The cover is at the link posted (or that was posted originally).

I know what it is. WHAT is it.

Is it an RTS, Battlefield-style, is it a goddamned wrestling game with Mitchell teabagging Ding Chavez???

I GOTS TA KNOW.

stilgar

sangreal said:

It was obvious before,
It's almost confirmed now :

A new spin-off for your Wii only .

sangreal

BenjaminBirdie said:
I know what it is. WHAT is it.

Is it an RTS, Battlefield-style, is it a goddamned wrestling game with Mitchell teabagging Ding Chavez???

I GOTS TA KNOW.

RTS (but not a traditional top-down RTS) with a Chromehounds style persistent war

FIREBABY

Thoren said:

D:

This is exactly why EGM reveiws don't matter to me anymore. Still like the mag, but how do you go from 8.0 to 4.0? One reviewer for each game please.

sangreal

gofreak said:

Fracture is a 360/PS3 game from Lucas Arts
EndWar is also 360/PS3

edit: nevermind, thought you meant something else. I'm not sure which article thats talking about

Durante

Also, isn't that the magazine that's related to 1UP? Then Etrian Odyssey probably would have scored higher if it had guns. Lots of guns. And some bald space marines. Those are the same guys that gave Gurumin a 65, let's just say I'm not too worried about either EO or AI3.

Red Blaster said:
Disgaea PS3 is probably true, someone here mentioned that NIS was working with the PS3 a few weeks back.

They've been working on the PS3 for awhile, they even joked that with the PS3 you might see PS2 quality graphics in their games.

sangreal

Durante said:
Also, isn't that the magazine that's related to 1UP? Then Etrian Odyssey probably would have scored higher if it had guns. Lots of guns. And some bald space marines. Those are the same guys that gave Gurumin a 65, let's just say I'm not too worried about either EO or AI3.

Very Original

The 1up.com score will be 8.0 btw

gofreak said:

All the first party PS3 games, Uncharted, LAIR, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgement, etc.

Nothing revealing or new.

Durante

sangreal said:
Very Original
I have nothing against media being opinionated, that's why we have many of them. It's just that I noticed while browsing metacritic that 1UP/EGM usually are farthest from my own opinion out of all publications listed there.

sangreal

Oh snap, there is a Sakaguchi interview

"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi":lol

Will post the interesting bits in a few

I'm not terribly shocked by EO's scores. Dungeon crawlers don't usually review very well, and that makes sense statistically. I would say that 2/3 people wouldn't enjoy a dungeon crawler. It's a niche genre. So it's just fortunate that they had someone on staff that does enjoy them, so you can see what he or she said about it. The two worse scores are probably just going to list problems that they have with the genre.

squicken

sangreal said:

"I'm not interested in the PlayStation 3. The machine's architecture is tricky, and I don't like Kutaragi":lol

Looks like he got his talking points from Howard Stringer.

Orlics

Wollan said:
Two 7's for C&C3 X360? It seems to be the best game released on the platform so far this year imho.

I disagree with Crackdown (Guitar Hero II doesn't count). Though it still is a low score for the RTS. Maybe they didn't like the controls?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sangreal said:

It's sort of interesting, but I'd never considered the possibility that there was animosity between some devs and Kutaragi personally, even if only in a few cases. We saw lots of talk after Yamauchi left Nintendo, that relations with certain developers should thaw and improve, and that did seem to happen in various cases. I doubt it's true to the same extent with Kutaragi since Playstation has always seemed to enjoy strong support, but I do wonder if Kaz might attract any devs that were previously put off. He definitely seems to have a warmer personality, and is probably more aware of this kind of stuff than Kutaragi was.

(That said, in Sakaguchi's case specifically, he is likely tied up to a large degree in MS contracts anyway).

Superfrog

sangreal said:
Review Wrap-Ups
Forza Motorsport 2
Does that mean the review copy came in too late to make it in the current issue as a full review? If so, what's the "pre-verdict" of the wrap-up?

ethelred

Durante said:
I'm not too worried about ... EO.

Neither am I.

And to anyone that is: seriously, chill out. We've had months worth of impressions on the game from ducky, from Aeana, from Sproks, from Jonny, from a dozen other people all raving about how good it is, and what's more, going into pretty exacting details as to why it's good.

People put too much weight on reviews.

Top Bottom