• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM #218, August 2007: Soul Calibur IV looks AWESOME

It's too hot...

In this Issue
- Soul Calibur IV cover story.
- Small feature on the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy.
- Madden '08 vs. All-Pro Footbal 2K8
- Previews: Army of Two, Socom: Confrontation, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword, Rock Band.

Rumors
- Another Parasite Eve is in the works for an actual console.
- Sony's going to show Epic the money to make UE3 work better on the PS3.
- Kojima Productions is working on another PS3 exclusive.
- Sony will repackage the PS2 to compete with the Wii by including a waggle-wand (their wording, not mine) for $99 this holiday season.
- AC/DC will help promote Rock Band.
- Capcom working on a PS3 exclusive.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl will use Havok physics.

Review Scores - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon: 6.5, 5, 5.5
Mario Party 8: 5.5, 7.5, 6

Review Scores - Xbox 360/PS3
The Darkness: 9, 6.5, 8.5
The Bigs: 8.5, 8, 8

Review Scores - Xbox 360
Overlord: 8, 6.5, 6.5
Shadowrun: 5, 7, 8
Dirt: 8, 8, 8.5
Forza Motorsport 2: 8.5, 8.5, 9 [Game of the Month]

Review Scores - Playstation 2
Hot Shots Tennis: 3.5, 4.5, 7.5

Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Dynasty Warriors DS: Fighter's Battle: 5.5, 4.5, 6

Review Scores - Playstation Portable
Final Fantasy II: 6, 5.5, 6
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: 6, 8.5, 5.5
Crush 9.5, 8.5, 8 [Game of the Month]
Smash Court Tennis 3: 5.5, 4.5, 4.5
Parappa the Rapper: 7, 5.5, 6

Coming in the September 2007 Issue
- First look at Halo 3's single-player story (including single-player screenshots).
- Retro Studios talks about MP3: Corruption.
- Lair review.
- Ps3 EyeToy preview (hardware and software).
- A Napoleon Dynamite game?

On a side note, i'm going to be busier than normal today so I might not be around as often to answer all your questions like past EGM threads.

ram

_leech_ said:
It's too hot...

In this Issue

Rumors
- Sony will repackage the PS2 to compete with the Wii by including a waggle-wand (their wording, not mine) for $99 this holiday season.

come on, give us some infos on SC IV? pleaseeee....

and the rumors are awesome!

fernoca

So their Soul Calibur "games" (in plural) coverage was just SCIV??

Plus those rumors has been posted like cazy in this forum before been printed in that issue, is like they took those rumors from this forum. :lol

GhaleonEB

The Darkness: 9, 6.5, 8.5

Interesting spread, that doesn't happen often.

Shadowrun: 5, 7, 8

Seems like a slice of the reviews out there - I suspect the value propostition gets some discussion.

Forza Motorsport 2: 8.5, 8.5, 9 [Game of the Month]

Nice.

Coming in the September 2007 Issue
- First look at Halo 3's single-player story (including single-player screenshots).

TIME TO FAP

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
fernoca said:

Yeah...I thought there would be SC:Legends info as well?

ram said:
come on, give us some infos on SC IV? pleaseeee....

Well the visuals looks stunning, the developers are really putting a lot of effort into how it looks. The preview covers characters, the fighting system, stages, etc. It's a 14-page preview (including Legends) so I haven't gotten around to reading it in any detail yet.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
GhaleonEB said:
Sony will repackage the PS2 to compete with the Wii by including a waggle-wand (their wording, not mine) for $99 this holiday season.

That's possible, and wouldn't it actually take the wind out of Wii's sails?

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
This'll work well with all those PS2 waggle-wand games.
It sounds like they may try to retro-fit waggle, so it just maps existing movement commands to the new controller. I don't think that would work at ALL. It will be hilarious if they try it.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
fernoca said:

Plus those rumors has been posted like cazy in this forum before been printed in that issue, is like they took those rumors from this forum. :lol

You know that's how they do those rumors. They take a bunch of believable rumors and add 1 or 2 real infos

schuelma

God that would be so surreal and akin to waving the white flag

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
In this Issue

Need more info!

- Madden '08 vs. All-Pro Footbal 2K8

Same thing here.

Rumors

1) Oh snap.
2) One would think Epic should be doing that shit themselves, but w/e works.
3) ZOE 3 MOTHER ****ERS
4) If they package in the normal controller AND the "waggle wand?" This holiday could be INTERESTING.
5) Meh.
6) Orly?
7) Is that...good?

If true of course.

schuelma said:
Yeah...I thought there would be SC:Legends info as well?

Legends got the shaft. There are basically just two pages on it, and there's only text on 1/4th of the first page. The rest of that page and all of the second are just screenshots.

at the end of last issue it said there would be new info on FFXIII.

I'm guess it's just the same shit/regurgitated stuff from their E3/JUMP Festa/S-E Party trailer?

Dahbomb

Zone of the Enders 3 confirmed.

.... Doubt it. :lol

But I still wonder what game it is.

_leech_ said:
Well the visuals looks stunning, the developers are really putting a lot of effort into how it looks. The preview covers characters, the fighting system, stages, etc. It's a 14-page preview (including Legends) so I haven't gotten around to reading it in any detail yet.

14 pages? Nice.

_leech_ said:

Very smart of them. This fall will be very interesting indeed. :)

YYZ

Pureauthor said:
I will laugh so very, very hard if this comes true.
I know, Jesus. That came out of left field. Games that support this? Details? E3????

Who gave the Darkness a 6.5, can you provide details on what he said? Any more detail on the two PS3 exclusives? What does SSBB using Havok mean for the end user? I'm sure a lot of fanboys just dirtied their boxers with that Parasite Eve tidbit. The rumour section is hot this month.

Sony's going to show Epic the money to make UE3 work better on the PS3. Nice, still getting the superior PC version unless some new compelling news about the PS3 version leaks.

sphinx

the piano man
Review Scores - Nintendo DS
Dynasty Warriors DS: Fighter's Battle: 5.5, 4.5, 6

Final Fantasy II: 6, 5.5, 6
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: 6, 8.5, 5.5
Crush 9.5, 8.5, 8 [Game of the Month]
Smash Court Tennis 3: 5.5, 4.5, 4.5
Parappa the Rapper: 7, 5.5, 6

5 PSP reviews and only 1 DS review??

schuelma

_leech_ said:
Legends got the shaft. There are basically just two pages on it, and there's only text on 1/4th of the first page. The rest of that page and all of the second are just screenshots.

Huh. Well that sucks. I was hoping for some good stuff.

Thanks though

_leech_ said:
It's too hot...

In this Issue
- Soul Calibur IV cover story. I want my Zinio digital issue now!
- Small feature on the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy. nothing interesting I guess?

Rumors
- Another Parasite Eve is in the works for an actual console. YOU BETTER NOT JOKE ABOUT THIS EGM
- Sony's going to show Epic the money to make UE3 work better on the PS3. They rather show 3rd parties some money to care a little about their ports
- Kojima Productions is working on another PS3 exclusive. Uh-oh nº1
- Sony will repackage the PS2 to compete with the Wii by including a waggle-wand (their wording, not mine) for $99 this holiday season. Come on, they are going to add something new when the thing is 6-7 years old PLUS a price drop? Come on, this is Sony-bleeding-money right now
- AC/DC will help promote Rock Band. Will they release an album at 200$?
- Capcom working on a PS3 exclusive. Uh-oh nº2
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl will use Havok physics. eh....

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology: 6, 8.5, 5.5 Just one out of three EGM editors gets it, not bad, I was expecting 1, 4.5, 2

Thanks for the info _leech_!

FFChris

Jammy said:
Why the hell are there so many PS3 rumors?

These may be the big unannounced PS3 exclusives that 1up have talked about. All this is running up to E3, so maybe those two games will be announced at E3?

Ok, i'm trying to tackle these as quickly as possible :lol

- Michael Donahoe gave The Darkness 6.5.
- About ZOE3: "Ha, you wish!"
- Not really any new info on FFXII (mostly a "What we know/What we don't know" thing).

chara_dingo_left.jpg
chara_dingo_right.jpg

Only if.

Bebpo

Banned
You guys are going to be so let down if you expect ZoE3. It's going to be something hmm...like MGAcid 3, or Boktai PS3.

_leech_ said:

How does it look compared to VF5/DoA4/Tekken6?

YYZ said:
I know, Jesus. That came out of left field. Games that support this? Details? E3????
How is this out of left field? It has been talked about for months, with about 1000 reasons why it wouldn't work...just like what came up when the PS3's price was announced. Hmm...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
PS2 + Waggle won't really matter unless it has that one breakthrough game and more than a handful of complimentary titles. Plus its coming off the media hype wagon for Wii + Wii Sports and it'd be releasing in an incredibly strong quarter for Nintendo so I don't think they'd do much beyond looking like also-rans. Then again that is also Sony's best and only shot they have against the Wii steamroller so hey they might pump enough money into that supposed venture to make it work.

I'd gladly take a new Kojima property.

Top Bottom