• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM got here quick this month

Amir0x

Banned
Why is "hard" a con in Fire Emblem review anyway? Being difficult is not really a con. Now, if the difficulty is forced due some arbitrary game feature, if the difficult has a shitty ramp up, if the difficulty is not balanced then it may be a con. But being challenging is never a con in of itself.

spwolf

Amir0x said:
Why is "hard" a con in Fire Emblem review anyway? Being difficult is not really a con. Now, if the difficulty is forced due some arbitrary game feature, if the difficult has a shitty ramp up, if the difficulty is not balanced then it may be a con. But being challenging is never a con in of itself.

:D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Soul4ger said:
Uncharted
Pros: Gunplay, acrobatics, charming characters
Cons: Not much original, lame puzzles

If that's all they got for the cons, this game is GOLD BABY! WOOOOOOOOOO! I'm so hot for this game.

btw, I'm going to re-do the scores in the 1up/EGM scale.

Mario and sonic olympics: Good, Good, Good
Geometry wars galaxies: Good, Good, Good
Fire Emblem: Excellent, Excellent, Good
Need For speed pro street: Good, Good, Good
tony hawk: Average, Average, Good
Manhunt 2: Bad, Average, Good
CoD 4: Excellent, Good, Excellent
Blacksite Area 51: Average, Average, Average
Kane and Lynch: Good, Good, Good
Uncharted: Good, Good, Good
naruto 360: Average, Good, Average
timeshift: Average, Average, Average
mass effect: Excellent, Excellent, Excellent
contra 4: Good, Good, Good
cooking mama 2: Good, Good, Good
ffxii: revenant wings: Good, Good, Average
MGS: PO: Good, Good, Good

There. This help everyone out? Clean some rocks out of the anuses?

Z3F

Banned
Amir0x said:

I think the non-hardcore gamers would like to know if a game's too hard before they put down $50 to $60.

Amir0x

Banned
Z3F said:
I think the non-hardcore gamers would like to know if a game's too hard before they put down $50 to $60.

i think those non-gamers can fuck themselves up the ass, the game has a god-damn easy setting. Which is mind numbingly easy!

Gigglepoo said:
1up gave Ratchet an 8.5 also.

And to GeoramA, since all three reviewers gave Uncharted an 8.5, 1up will as well.
1Up will never ever give a PS3 exclusive a score of nine or above, it´s in their job description. If they did that would result in an instant sack.

Sony should learn how to buy reviewers, they are no different from any prostitutes, Sony just need to collaborate with the right pimps/publishers just like Microsoft.

J-Rzez

Amir0x said:

That's another one of the things I don't listen to in reviews. It's all subjective. Maybe hard to them is easy to another, or someone is looking for said challenge. Price is another one of those things. But unfortunately, it doesn't work all the same amongst the clans at these places. For example, Warhawk losing a point because of it's cost, but nobody deducted points off of Crysis costing you an arm and a leg to get it to run at the screenshot/advertising video quality, or that you have to play it on the Pentagon's nuclear powered mainframe that they don't think I know they have.

Amir0x

Banned
guys i think the problem is that before 1up was giving all these 360 games 9.0s, because they hadn't got rid of their Microsoft Mafia yet. chespace and Luke were still reviewing games, and so obviously the 360 games were getting unfairly high scores.

Now that the Microsoft Mafia is largely gone, the 1up reviewers left behind are just the level headed types so it seems like in comparison 1up is prone to giving PS3 games unfair scores, but in reality if these level headed types were reviewing the shitty 360 launch games, for example, they would have had 7.0's and shit.

How's that for a conspiracy theory?

painful fart said:
1Up will never ever give a PS3 exclusive a score of nine or above, it´s in their job description. If they did that would result in an instant sack.

Sony should learn how to buy reviewers, they are no different from any prostitutes, Sony just need to collaborate with the right pimps/publishers just like Microsoft.
Everyday Shooter and Ninja Gaiden Sigma both got nines.

moai

painful fart said:

are you serious?

nice scores all around. should be a great time for gamers.

:D

Big-E

Amir0x said:
guys i think the problem is that before 1up was giving all these 360 games 9.0s, because they hadn't got rid of their Microsoft Mafia yet. chespace and Luke were still reviewing games, and so obviously the 360 games were getting unfairly high scores.

Now that the Microsoft Mafia is largely gone, the 1up reviewers left behind are just the level headed types so it seems like in comparison 1up is prone to giving PS3 games unfair scores, but in reality if these level headed types were reviewing the shitty 360 launch games, for example, they would have had 7.0's and shit.

I was blind, but now I see, you made a believer out of me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Amir0x said:

Hint: Read 1Up's Gears of War review. First paragraph, really. Then look at the score given.

Soul4ger

I'm back. The Contra IV review, all the reviewers agree that it feels like a lost 16-bit Contra sequel warped forward through time. Shane's only complaint is unavoidable deaths because of the screen gap. The second reviewer agrees slightly, saying there are sometimes snipers and stuff POSITIONED in the gap, and you can't even see THEM. But he says the challenges are awesome, and by completing them you can
unlock several other, classic Contra games
. Sam, the third reviewer, says the game is great, and you can LEARN to avoid the blind spots.

GodfatherX said:
just curious, whats on the cover?

The cover is another "OMG LOOK AT HOW MANY GAMES THERE ARE AVAILABLE NOW AND HOW MANY ARE COMING NEXT YEAR." It features a buyer's guide for Christmas (absolutely worthless), a look at the games that got pushed back to next year and whether their delays were worth it (they say Too Human is a success), and then.. The reviews are the third part of the feature. Totally lame.

I got my EGM way before this thread was posted, I was waiting to get home and see if there will be a reaction to the Uncharted scores, hopefully there isnt a big reaction to them.

I think it shows a distinct lack of dedication in Sony's first party lineup when their defense force thinks their games won't get over a 9. Team ICO, Polyphony Digital and Studio Liverpool all deliver games that 1UP liked.

Loudninja

Linkzg said:
I got my EGM way before this thread was posted, I was waiting to get home and see if there will be a reaction to the Uncharted scores, hopefully there isnt a big reaction to them.

Naw, whats the pros and cons?

Jenga

Banned
Amir0x said:

you need to add more personal insults and other tinfoil theories like bill gates spooning with luke and chespace on hot summer nights

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Visualante said:
Pros
A variety of approaches to combat situations
Surreal graphics
Awesome environment puzzles

Cons
Environments lack variety
Characters are lifeless
Drawn out fetch quests and babysitting

After playing the demo and watching the 10 mins video, I have to call this FAKE!!!

edit: yup fake.

Speevy

Banned
I hope Unreal Tournament 3 makes this year on the PS3. That way, it can get a 9.5 in anticipation of its Xbox 360 iteration months later.

Soul4ger

You know, I've never wanted to kill myself more than when I've read through the responses to the fake pros and cons AFTER I POSTED THE REAL ONES. People are so dumb. Somebody save humanity, please. ;_;

Soul4ger

Linkzg said:
The Good:
-Gunplay, acrobatics, charming characters.

The Bad:
-Not much original here
-lame puzzles

Sixaxis controls:
-let's not even bother

Posted it two pages ago... Oh, well.

Soul4ger said:
Posted it two pages ago... Oh, well.

im not going to read through this entire thread to answer this guys question, its quicker to read and type it.

the only thing I found funny about any review was "Where's the story?" under Bad for MGS Portable Ops Plus.

Uncle

Soul4ger said:
You know, I've never wanted to kill myself more than when I've read through the responses to the fake pros and cons AFTER I POSTED THE REAL ONES. People are so dumb. Somebody save humanity, please. ;_;

With what classes did the reviewers of ME have problems?

painful fart said:

:lol :lol

This thread is gold.

What are you going to say next year when 1up gives MGS4 a 9.5 or 10? MS must have stopped sending them hookers, right??

Jenga said:
Impossible.

Yeah, but even if, that's a really small segment of the population interested in it (4 to 6?) not to mention a lot of them might not even buy it (reviewer copies) and I think Garnett even said he got an LE for free. So it's not looking good, sales wise. The dude is right.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Everyday Shooter and Ninja Gaiden Sigma both got nines.
Since Ninja Gaiden Sigma was a remake of a critically acclaimed Xbox exclusive I guess they thought they were obliged to give it a 9.

It will be interesting to see what score the PS3 version of Lost Planet will recieve.

Everyday Shooter: beats me, maybe they don´t believe it will stay an exclusive.

Top Bottom