• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM got here quick this month

yukoner said:
My question is why 1UP and EGM are always in lockstep??

If you have 4 individuals reviewing a title, you would expect that at least ONE of them would have a differening opinion than the others.

But the way they have it now, with all 4 people miraculously coming to scores with .5 of eachother, really knocks their credibility down a couple notches.

Obviously the scores on 1UP and EGM come from the top down, and the individuals doing the reviews don't like to differ from what they've been told the game should score.

They only have 3. The 1up review is the lead EGM review.

Tiktaalik

egmfan89 said:
ffxii: revenant wings: 8, 7.5, 6

When you get varying scores like this, it's all about the review text. It'll be interesting to read what their different complaints are about the game.

Weren't they planning on fixing some issues for the NA release? I guess not every change helped.

skip

yukoner said:

If you have 4 individuals reviewing a title, you would expect that at least ONE of them would have a differening opinion than the others.

But the way they have it now, with all 4 people miraculously coming to scores with .5 of eachother, really knocks their credibility down a couple notches.

Obviously the scores on 1UP and EGM come from the top down, and the individuals doing the reviews don't like to differ from what they've been told the game should score.

yeah you got us

Loudninja said:
Come on where are the pros and cons
Pros
A variety of approaches to combat situations
Surreal graphics
Awesome environment puzzles

Cons
Environments lack variety
Characters are lifeless
Drawn out fetch quests and babysitting

Amir0x

Banned
yukoner said:

They don't always have 4 people reviewing the title... I'd say more often than not they don't have 4 people at all. Usually, they have 3 people and then one of those people are chosen to be the "spotlight" review on 1up. Sometimes there's an exception, but I don't think it's often. of course, I don't follow reviews on any site religiously so I can't give you some sort of statistical breakdown.

yukoner said:

This is ironic considering one of the complaints I've seen in some of the EGM threads in months past is that the reviews are "worthless" because one of the reviewers scored the game soooo much lower than the others.

See, this is why it's not good to make conspiracies. What only happens is your argument is easily picked apart, and then you end up with pie on your face. Even if it's delicious pie, it's still pie on your face.

tanod

when is my burrito
Wollan said:
Does Brian work at EGM?

BrianI = Brian Intihar

Because the lead reviewer and their review in EGM is exactly what goes up on 1UP.com. There are only three reviewers, not 4. It's a copy-paste job.

J-Rzez said:
Most certainly considering anymore after what they gave Halo 3, it's clear that they expect much much more out of Playstation 3 games, thus their scores (minus Shane scores) and altered scale for them. I usually can assume that it would be .5-1.0 higher at least if not on the PS3. So 8.5 is a great score from them.

Anyways, Mass Effects scores are kind of low from them, what's their problems with the game?
You can't be serious. :lol

Loudninja

Visualante said:
Pros
Surreal graphics

Cons
Characters are lifeless

Are this fake? I cannot tell.

Wollan

Characters are lifeless
What game are we talking about here? It can't be Uncharted?
Playing the demo it's breaking new ground here with the all the crazy comments and actual facial expressions during combat and such. Really? Really?

Soul4ger

The cons for Uncharted is it does nothing new, it's just a well done rehash of other ideas. Like all Naughty Dog games. Any other pros or cons wanted? I'll do them.

sprocket

Banned
Visualante said:
Pros
Surreal graphics

Cons
Characters are lifeless

joke post right?

tanod

when is my burrito
Visualante said:
Pros
Surreal graphics

Cons
Characters are lifeless

real?

For lolz: The characters are lifeless because you're shooting them all and they don't magically disappear or dissolve into nothing when they die.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
yukoner said:

Manhunt 2: 4, 5, 7
Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Soul4ger

Uncharted
Pros: Gunplay, acrobatics, charming characters
Cons: Not much original, lame puzzles

Kane & Lynch
Pros: Great story, pacing and variety
Cons: Online... co-op... if only...

Contra 4
Pros: Killer co-op play, massive bosses
Cons: That gap between the screens, we have tiny penises

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Soul4ger said:
The cons for Uncharted is it does nothing new, it's just a well done rehash of other ideas. Like all Naughty Dog games. Any other pros or cons wanted? I'll do them.

rabble rabble mumble didn't stop them from giving out tens to other games rabble rabble mumble mumble

RavenFox

Banned
Visualante said:
Pros
Surreal graphics

Cons
Characters are lifeless

Those cons have to be a joke lol. If not Im launching all remaining to EGMS web servers.

Soul4ger

Super Mario Galaxy Bottom Line: Brilliant, compelling, creative. Own a Wii? Great! Buy this game.

Rock Band Bottom Line: For wannabe musicians, Rock Band is by far the best bandmate money can buy.

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles Bottom Line: Doesn't do much for lightgun games or the Resident Evil legacy.

yukoner

skip said:
yeah you got us

Actually knowing that 1UP review is one of the 3 EGM reviews makes it a little more understandable.

Still, this groupthink is a strange 'phenomenon' you must admit ;)

J-Rzez

yukoner said:

Person 1:"Well well guys, here's your review assignments for the month! We'll assign them as usual"

Person 2: OMG! I love FPS with a story and a touch of RPG elements, you know me too well! MASS EFFECT whoooo!

Person 1: "I take well care of you!"

Person 3: "OH COOL! I love racing sim games that aren't named Gran Turismo! Sweet, now to put Forza 2 in!

Person 1: "heeeeeeeeeey, do I know my guys or what?"

Person 4: "Um, I'm the janitor, and I don't own a TV."

Person 1: "I expect your review tomorrow regardless, it's not like we're going to score this justly anyways, those sharp guys at NeoGaf are onto us anyways"

Person 4: "Um, sure, when the floors are swept. What's Uncharted about anyways?"

Person 5: "I love halo! halo, halo, halo! Master Chief, I wish to get your out of that suit and into my bed. YES! HALO 3! Wait, there's a score on this already Shu-Shu?

Person 1 (now discovered to be Shu): "Now we talked about this before, but I guess the talking doesn't work. *grabs a toilet plunger and a bucket of sand*

(revamped for this month!)

sprocket said:
I just hope uncharted sells a million + . Just because the industry is so oversaturated with FPS at the moment. We need more adventure games. If games like uncharted doesnt sell well I am afraid everyone will start pumping out even more FPS and less everything else.
It seems to play like a FPS in many ways, though.

calder

Visualante said:
That's a pity, if Bioshock taught me anything it's that my patience for fetch quests (non-MMO) has worn pretty thin in my old age. If I walk past a bunch of clearly important shit I can't pick up only to have to run back 20 minutes later to get it I'll be annoyed.

I'll need some context for the 'lifeless characters' bit. That seems a bit odd considering the demo alone.

... these are the real pros and cons right? If not I'll have you drawn and quartered.

EDIT:
Visualante said:
It's Loudninja, what do you expect me to do? He was just bitching all over the thread.
Damn you. :| Can I turn in my "one free ban" token now? I'm pretty sure I got one when bishoptl forgot to unban me after my requested 1 week off from GAF turned into 2 months off from GAF due to lazy modding.

Soul4ger said:

If that's for real, then j-rzez was just vindicated hardcore.

RavenFox

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Person 1:"Well well guys, here's your review assignments for the month! We'll assign them as usual"

Person 2: OMG! I love FPS with a story and a touch of RPG elements, you know me too well! MASS EFFECT whoooo!

Person 3: "OH COOL! I love racing sim games that aren't named Gran Turismo! Sweet, now to put Forza 2 in!

Person 1: "I expect your review tomorrow regardless, it's not like we're going to score this justly anyways, those sharp guys at NeoGaf are onto us anyways"

Person 4: "Um, sure, when the floors are swept. What's Uncharted about anyways?"

Person 5: "I love halo! halo, halo, halo! Master Chief, I wish to get your out of that suit and into my bed. YES! HALO 3! Wait, there's a score on this already Shu-Shu?

Person 1 (now discovered to be Shu): "Now we talked about this before, but I guess the talking doesn't work. *grabs a toilet plunger and a bucket of sand*

lol classic

Soul4ger

Mario & Sonic Wii
Pros: Nice variety of real Olympic events
Cons: Poor control explanations

Geometry Wars Galaxies Wii
Pros: Sexy reimaginings of some true classics
Cons: Don't play it with the nunchuk!

Fire Emblem
Pros: Stellar gameplay untouched, snazzy cutscenes
Cons: Bad graphics, tough

Call of Duty 4
Pros: Outstanding scripted events, multiplayer
Cons: "Hardened" difficulty a little too hard

puebla

J-Rzez said:

wtf?

you're not funny.

Sharp

J-Rzez said:

Okay, now you just sound bitter.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Soul4ger said:
NFS ProStreet
Pros: Killer car physics and A.I., tons of customization
Cons: Confusing menus and interfaces
Oh, so they nailed the gameplay, but the GUI wasn't perfect. So, what's wrong with the interface?

Soul4ger

Mass Effect
Pros: Combat, story development
Cons: Balance issues - Not all classes created equal

And yes, Shane was the one to give Contra 4 a 7.5. Both Greg Ford and Sam gave it scores of 8.0.

Oda

Soul4ger said:
Uncharted
Cons: Not much original
I really dislike this complaint in any review from any outlet, as it is the most inconsistent and in many cases unfairly leveled criticism IMO.

So many titles are lambasted for this where it really isn't warranted, and just as many aren't when it really should be brought up. I wish reviewers would tread a little more lightly with this specific criticism, or just rarely use it altogether, warranted or not.

yukoner

Amir0x said:
They don't always have 4 people reviewing the title... I'd say more often than not they don't have 4 people at all. Usually, they have 3 people and then one of those people are chosen to be the "spotlight" review on 1up. Sometimes there's an exception, but I don't think it's often. of course, I don't follow reviews on any site religiously so I can't give you some sort of statistical breakdown.

This is ironic considering one of the complaints I've seen in some of the EGM threads in months past is that the reviews are "worthless" because one of the reviewers scored the game soooo much lower than the others.

See, this is why it's not good to make conspiracies. What only happens is your argument is easily picked apart, and then you end up with pie on your face. Even if it's delicious pie, it's still pie on your face.

First of all, I don't care what other peoples complaints are, they're not mine.

It's not about conspiracies, it's about finding a source that seems credible to me. And I see a conspicous lack of individuality in their reviews.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general this is what I'm seeing in the 1UP/EGM reviews, and no, I don't follow them religously either.

A perfect example is Kameo. 6/6/7 from EGM/1up. All 3 reviewers basically thought it was crap. Yet Gamespot give's it 8.0, G4TV gives it 8.0, Gamespy: 8.0, Game Informer 7.5, and the average metacritic review is 79%.

Is it not odd that all 3 reviewers ALL found the game to be a 7 or below, despite seeing varying reviews from sites all over the web? Wouldn't you expect at least ONE of the reviewrs to have a score inline with the average? Or even higher??

It's like, someone in the office decides the game sucks, or that it's the shit, and everyone else jumps in on the gang mentality. We're seeing the exact same thing with COD4, and Assassin's Creed.

Now, if next month one of the EGM guiys actually gives AC a score in line with the average (which is now 89%) I'll consider them vindicated. But I would bet dollars to donuts it'll be within .5 of the 1up review.

J-Rzez said:

Was...was that reference to The State?

Top Bottom