• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM got here quick this month

yukoner said:
But the way they have it now, with all 4 people miraculously coming to scores with .5 of eachother, really knocks their credibility down a couple notches.
tony hawk: 5.5, 6.5, 7.5
Manhunt 2: 4, 5, 7
naruto 360: 6.5, 8, 5.5

J-Rzez said:
Person 1:"Well well guys, here's your review assignments for the month! We'll assign them as usual"

Person 2: OMG! I love FPS with a story and a touch of RPG elements, you know me too well! MASS EFFECT whoooo!

Person 1: "I take well care of you!"

Person 3: "OH COOL! I love racing sim games that aren't named Gran Turismo! Sweet, now to put Forza 2 in!

Person 1: "heeeeeeeeeey, do I know my guys or what?"

Person 4: "Um, I'm the janitor, and I don't own a TV."

Person 1: "I expect your review tomorrow regardless, it's not like we're going to score this justly anyways, those sharp guys at NeoGaf are onto us anyways"

Person 4: "Um, sure, when the floors are swept. What's Uncharted about anyways?"

Person 5: "I love halo! halo, halo, halo! Master Chief, I wish to get your out of that suit and into my bed. YES! HALO 3! Wait, there's a score on this already Shu-Shu?

Person 1 (now discovered to be Shu): "Now we talked about this before, but I guess the talking doesn't work. *grabs a toilet plunger and a bucket of sand*

(revamped for this month!)

Stop shitting in this thread, already.

Amir0x

Banned
yukoner said:
It's not about conspiracies, it's about finding a source that seems credible to me. And I see a conspicous lack of individuality in their reviews.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general this is what I'm seeing in the 1UP/EGM reviews, and no, I don't follow them religously either.

so if they're not credible to you, don't invent scenarios to explain why. Just find a source that IS credible to you, and avoid the EGM/1up threads.

Jirotrom said:
Amir0x you aren't funny... next week *sigh* I can still get it at Toys r us then.

uh, funny how? Geometry Wars is reportedly delayed, according to Kotaku.

Soul4ger

twinturbo2 said:
Oh, so they nailed the gameplay, but the GUI wasn't perfect. So, what's wrong with the interface?

Says one reviewer: "those garish menu graphics and incessantly babbling event DJs only serve to tag it as the 'trying to hard' member of the class."

J-Rzez

Sharp said:
Okay, now you just sound bitter.

Trying to break the tension in here. It's so thick I could barely breathe. Seriously though, like I said before, take things with a grain of salt from reviewers. They all have their own opinions/tastes, and some people are just impressionable to hype. I just look for the key facts about a game, things they CAN'T be like that with, like Framerate issues, online implementation (like clans, lobbies, friends invites, etc), and if anything in general is just flat out broken. It'll save you a lot of money and stress.

(plus I'm bored since the servers for CoD4 are down again *sigh* )

Uncle

Soul4ger said:
Mass Effect
Pros: Combat, story development
Cons: Balance issues - Not all classes created equal

Now I'm glad that I'll have time to properly plan my character with this new info in mind. Well, not really, but I could be.

DevelopmentArrested said:

Hang on, hang on. I still want to see if that was a reference to The State at the end. Where the dude is at the fast food joint and the manager beats the shit out of the cashier and then the owner comes in with nunchucks. It was Kevin Allison, who comes in before the owner, who said "I thought we talked about this?" Upon brandishing a set of brass knuckles he says "But I guess talking doesn't work!!"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Soul4ger said:
Says one reviewer: "those garish menu graphics and incessantly babbling event DJs only serve to tag it as the 'trying to hard' member of the class."
Someone should have told him that they can turn off the event DJ's in the option menu. Still, if reviewers are complimenting the driving mechanics, this bodes well for the future of NFS.

Soul4ger

Be back in about 20 minutes. I'll cover the Contra IV review question and any others at that point, if you'dl ike. Or if someone else doesn't.

JoeMartin

yukoner said:
Obviously the scores on 1UP and EGM come from the top down, and the individuals doing the reviews don't like to differ from what they've been told the game should score.

I really don't think that's the way it works at all. 1UP/EGM just happens to be a bunch of guys and gals just like us, and they have opinions and biases just like us on everything from genres to developers to the "console war" itself. They may not give public testimony to the fact that they're a huge Sony fanboy and have a general dislike for everything Microsoft (or vice versa) but at least they stay true to themselves when doing reviews - they actually sound human.

This is why I love the 1UP network so. They're real, personable people over there, offering their real opinions, biases included, not faceless names following a formulaic review template.

J-Rzez

DevelopmentArrested said:

I'm actually awaiting for the Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Contra summaries. And just curious what they have to say about CoD4.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JoeMartin said:
I really don't think that's the way it works at all. 1UP/EGM just happens to be a bunch of guys and gals just like us, and they have opinions and biases just like us on everything from genres to developers to the "console war" itself. They may not give public testimony to the fact that they're a huge Sony fanboy and have a general dislike for everything Microsoft (or vice versa) but at least they stay true to themselves when doing reviews - they actually sound human.

This is why I love the 1UP network so. They're real, personable people over there, offering their real opinions, biases included, not faceless names following a formulaic review template.

Shoe sounds human to you?

I KID!

Kinda.

LukeSmith

Just when I start thinking GAF is losing its touch, days like today--where bitter tears stain threads, hilarity awaits on every page and the full cast of characters from all camps come together--remind me why I mash F5.

J-Rzez

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hang on, hang on. I still want to see if that was a reference to The State at the end. Where the dude is at the fast food joint and the manager beats the shit out of the cashier and then the owner comes in with nunchucks. It was Kevin Allison, who comes in before the owner, who said "I thought we talked about this?" Upon brandishing a set of brass knuckles he says "But I guess talking doesn't work!!"

WINNER! Like right before he enters the store when he's being asked which product he likes better, says he doesn't like Grape Soda, then orders Grape Soda in the burger joint :lol

Oh man, that was a great show no? You're a good dude Benji! I don't care what people say about you!

Mindlog

AstroLad said:
It's not about conspiracies, it's about discovering myself.

Here I am reading some absolute garbage for no particular reason and I stumble across a chortle.

good show :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
LukeSmith said:
Just when I start thinking GAF is losing its touch, days like today--where bitter tears stain threads, hilarity awaits on every page and the full cast of characters from all camps come together--remind me why I mash F5.
Yeah, don't you miss the insanity over there sometimes?

Jirotrom

Amir0x said:
so if they're not credible to you, don't invent scenarios to explain why. Just find a source that IS credible to you, and avoid the EGM/1up threads.

uh, funny how? Geometry Wars is reportedly delayed, according to Kotaku.
Nooooooooooooo! well... I'm gonna go pick up FE tomorrow. I was going to buy Fire Emblem, Trauma center and Geo Galxies from TrUS anduse the 25.00 gift certificate. Looks like that plan is a bust, I'll just go use the gift certificate on FE.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LukeSmith said:

things would be easier if EGM wasn't so baised and stopped unfairly treating sony badly

skip

RavenFox said:
Yeah I plowed through hardened. Those guys at EGM are weaksuce it seems.

(big reviewer on COD4) -- I didn't think Hardened was too hard, just that the "brick wall" areas were disproportionately hard compared to the rest of it. that's what we meant by that.

Amir0x

Banned
why dont you go back to working on that Bungie game that so totally isn't Halo but will be compared to Halo and ultimately deemed infinitely inferior, MR. LUKESMITH

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
LukeSmith said:
Nah, the view from where I am is even better!
Are you still working at Bungie? Tell 'em that I want Oni 2, unless Take 2 has the IP rights. It's not like anything else is happening there, amirite?

J-Rzez said:
WINNER! Like right before he enters the store when he's being asked which product he likes better, says he doesn't like Grape Soda, then orders Grape Soda in the burger joint :lol

Oh man, that was a great show no? You're a good dude Benji! I don't care what people say about you!

Wow. I've....I've got to give you props, Mr. Rzez. That was very well done.

:lol

freezo

J-Rzez said:
Person 1:"Well well guys, here's your review assignments for the month! We'll assign them as usual"

Person 2: OMG! I love FPS with a story and a touch of RPG elements, you know me too well! MASS EFFECT whoooo!

Person 1: "I take well care of you!"

Person 3: "OH COOL! I love racing sim games that aren't named Gran Turismo! Sweet, now to put Forza 2 in!

Person 1: "heeeeeeeeeey, do I know my guys or what?"

Person 4: "Um, I'm the janitor, and I don't own a TV."

Person 1: "I expect your review tomorrow regardless, it's not like we're going to score this justly anyways, those sharp guys at NeoGaf are onto us anyways"

Person 4: "Um, sure, when the floors are swept. What's Uncharted about anyways?"

Person 5: "I love halo! halo, halo, halo! Master Chief, I wish to get your out of that suit and into my bed. YES! HALO 3! Wait, there's a score on this already Shu-Shu?

Person 1 (now discovered to be Shu): "Now we talked about this before, but I guess the talking doesn't work. *grabs a toilet plunger and a bucket of sand*

(revamped for this month!)

:lol

spwolf

Soul4ger said:
Uncharted
Pros: Gunplay, acrobatics, charming characters
Cons: Not much original, lame puzzles

woa, thats it? I thought i burned someone's PS3... If thats it, PS3 GOTY confirmed.

RavenFox

Banned
LukeSmith said:
In fact I think its the exact opposite to 1up. F5 would probably bring me to a 404 error though.

yukoner

Psychotext said:
tony hawk: 5.5, 6.5, 7.5
Manhunt 2: 4, 5, 7
naruto 360: 6.5, 8, 5.5

Thanks for the exceptions.

Can you show me any on high profile, big budget titles?

Or is all the dissention reserved for shovelware titles?

J-Rzez

LukeSmith said:
Nah, the view from where I am is even better!

Laying naked on piles of money with 17 year old Russian and Asian prostitutes always increases the beauty of your view I guess. :D

Dante

Well one thing I find a bit annoying is that they did make a comment a couple issues back that Tony Hawk was better than Skate, then this issue give TH pretty average marks.

The consistancy out there is getting frustrating. Gamespot says AC framerate better on PS3 while IGN says opposite.

Z3F

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Totally, but if the thing about Uncharted doing little new is a complaint in the review(s), then the dude is vindicated all the way, irrespective of personal bitterness.

But a game might not have been scored a 8.5 just because it had little innovation. Many reviewers said that about R&C and still gave it a 9. Just because both games suffered from a lack of innovation, it doesn't mean they're the same.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
J-Rzez said:
Laying naked on piles of money with 17 year old Russian and Asian prostitutes always increases the beauty of your view I guess. :D
I don't think you were supposed to reveal that. Now Luke's going to go
family.jpg

on you.

yukoner

Amir0x said:

Well it's something I'm just coming to notice now, and I don't see a problem with raising it for possible discussion to see if others agree or not.

It's unfortunate we seem to have soime sort of 1UP/EGM defence force here, which is rallying behind them and their scores.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this total groupthink that exists between the two publications.

But you're right in a sense, I really don't give two shits about this topic, doesn't impact me one iota, so I'll just leave it at that...

tanod

when is my burrito
yukoner said:
First of all, I don't care what other peoples complaints are, they're not mine.

It doesn't need to be about outlets. It's about the reviewers.

For example, Brian Intihar's, Matt Leone's, and Nick Suttner's tastes from 1UP tend to match mine pretty while Michael Donahoe and Dan Shu don't at all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this total groupthink that exists between the two publications.

You have no idea what groupthink even means. Stop using it.

LukeSmith

J-Rzez said:

Hmm, the Buddy List thing didn't do anything to your text. Fail.

J-Rzez

LukeSmith said:
Hmm, the Buddy List thing didn't do anything to your text. Fail.

Isn't it supposed to give it an overly done HDR/Bloom-effect? :p No seriously, I dunno what it's supposed to do either, haha.

LukeSmith said:

The absolutely worst thing about the NeoGAF effect is how it basically draws you into (war)paths. I want to troll Uncharted to hell and back, and it would be the right thing to do, but I can't resist the bloody urge to defend it against everything simply because because. I'm a slave to my own fashion.

Top Bottom