• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM got here quick this month

J-Rzez said:
Did we get The Good - The Bad for Mass Effect and CoD4 yet? Or did I miss it in here amongst the fake impressions that were thrown around?

The good: Combat, story development
The bad: Balance issues - not all classes are created equal
Why does the future: Have so many elevators?

Ceb

J-Rzez said:
Not impressed with the graphics or sound? They made it sound like no matter what Gears was going to get the scores it did for it's graphics and sound, doesn't apply here though. Ooh, the "not much original here" comment that could be tagged to 95% of games!

Did we get The Good - The Bad for Mass Effect and CoD4 yet? Or did I miss it in here amongst the fake impressions that were thrown around?

First off, the score really isn't anything to complain about, especially since it's from EGM.

Second, most reviewers can only ignore a game's lack of originality if it has a multiplayer component to offset it.

Regarding GeOW, it came out at a time when the market was devoid of impressive next-gen games. If it had come out today, it probably would've received a slightly lower score. Even though Uncharted looks absolutely fantastic, it's not gonna have as much of an impact.

besada

Banned
Reviewers can blow me. A demo for a game trumps the best reviewer on the planet, because I can play it and decide for myself. Individuals have individual taste, and at least half of every review score is entirely subjective.

Demos -- why I love next-gen.

besada said:
Reviewers can blow me. A demo for a game trumps the best reviewer on the planet, because I can play it and decide for myself. Individuals have individual taste, and at least half of every review score is entirely subjective.

Because a complete game is fairly judged based on its demo. Okay.

LukeSmith

DevelopmentArrested said:

I think he means it's easier to make a purchasing decision having played it yourself rather than going by the words of someone from the Internet that you don't know.

besada

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:

It's a better indication than taking the word of some guy you've never met, don't know, and likely have little in common with.

besada said:

The whole demo thing is what has been the most troubling about AC, simply because it's very unlike that particular company to not release a demo for a top tier game. And as far as the sense of using a demo to make purchase decisions, I don't see anything wrong with that. Some demos are better at communicating a game's value than others (games with RPG elements that affect the actual gameplay, like Deus Ex, may not be represented well by demos), but you will at the very least get a basic idea of gameplay and presentation. I understand the WIP thing, but right there is where reviews come in, to give you an idea of how many flaws from a demo have been ironed out for the full release.

USC-fan

Banned
yukoner said:
My question is why 1UP and EGM are always in lockstep??

If you have 4 individuals reviewing a title, you would expect that at least ONE of them would have a differening opinion than the others.

But the way they have it now, with all 4 people miraculously coming to scores with .5 of eachother, really knocks their credibility down a couple notches.

Obviously the scores on 1UP and EGM come from the top down, and the individuals doing the reviews don't like to differ from what they've been told the game should score.
what the hell are you talking about??

You must have not read egm for very long. Most of their scores are all over the place.....

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
AniHawk said:
I would've never expected EGM to love Fire Emblem that much based off that one 1UP Show.
different. people.

also different language.

besada

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
The whole demo thing is what has been the most troubling about AC, simply because it's very unlike that particular company to not release a demo for a top tier game. And as far as the sense of using a demo to make purchase decisions, I don't see anything wrong with that. Some demos are better at communicating a game's value than others (games with RPG elements that affect the actual gameplay, like Deus Ex, may not be represented well by demos), but you will at the very least get a basic idea of gameplay and presentation. I understand the WIP thing, but right there is where reviews come in, to give you an idea of how many flaws from a demo have been ironed out for the full release.

I use GAF for that. I have a list of Gaffers I know and play with, who know what I like and have similar tastes. I frequently let them buy it first. Between that and demos, I barely read reviews anymore, and when I do (for example the 1up Kane and Lynch review) I discover that the reviewers are either wildly incompetent, write so poorly they can barely be understood, and have axes to grind that I don't care about.

I agree about the stink of not having a demo scaring me about AC. These days, if you're doing a big game and don't release a demo, well, that worries me.

Mar

besada said:
I use GAF for that. I have a list of Gaffers I know and play with, who know what I like and have similar tastes. I frequently let them buy it first. Between that and demos, I barely read reviews anymore, and when I do (for example the 1up Kane and Lynch review) I discover that the reviewers are either wildly incompetent, write so poorly they can barely be understood, and have axes to grind that I don't care about.

I agree about the stink of not having a demo scaring me about AC. These days, if you're doing a big game and don't release a demo, well, that worries me.

So stop caring about this review and enjoy your game for christs sake.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
AltogetherAndrews said:

Has anyone posted any excerpts from the Uncharted review. I am looking forward to buying this game and, I need reasons behind the numbers to justify my purchase.

Mar

besada said:
Which game did you think I was concerned about?

Sorry, thought you were one of the ones having a meltdown over the Uncharted 'excellent but not perfect' review score. I reread the thread and noticed you weren't. My apologies.

egmfan89

to whoever said demos are fair indicators, that's not really true. I'm not sure if it was an article or just some random post, but a month or two I remember reading a big rant by Robert Ashley regarding demos and how they're just part of marketing. As much fun as some demos can be, all they really are are marketing materials, and I think actually renting/playing the full game in some way other than a demo would be a much better indicator of the game's quality. If you make your decisions off demos that's cool, just know that they really are marketing tools.

skip said:
(big reviewer on COD4) -- I didn't think Hardened was too hard, just that the "brick wall" areas were disproportionately hard compared to the rest of it. that's what we meant by that.

What's really annoying about Veteran (I skipped Hardened) are the areas where enemies (and friendlies) are spawned in continuously until you figure out the trick and move forward, triggering the switch that stops the flow. The TV station is the earliest and most obvious example, but there have been a few others and I'm only halfway through Act 1 on Veteran.

skip

dammitmattt said:
What's really annoying about Veteran (I skipped Hardened) are the areas where enemies (and friendlies) are spawned in continuously until you figure out the trick and move forward, triggering the switch that stops the flow. The TV station is the earliest and most obvious example, but there have been a few others and I'm only halfway through Act 1 on Veteran.

the 3 brick walls I encountered are:

1) TV station workroom.
2) the ferris wheel
3) the silo, 6 minutes and slow doors

I noticed the spawning in #1, but not #2 or #3. 2 and 3 both had ridiculous chokepoints, regardless of how many enemies were spawned.

skip said:

1) TV station workroom.
2) the ferris wheel

I noticed the spawning in #1, but not #2 or #3. 2 and 3 both had ridiculous chokepoints, regardless of how many enemies were spawned.

I haven't gotten to the ferris wheel yet but even on Regular it was apparent that it was going to be an absolute bitch on higher difficulties because unlike the rest of the game, you really have no good place to hide. I didn't even think about the time limit on the Silo (it was longer on Regular), but I can tell you that the Veteran time limit on the very last level (Epilogue) was set by the devil himself.

You must have the patience of a saint to step into this thread. I don't know how you do it.

skip

dammitmattt said:
I haven't gotten to the ferris wheel yet but even on Regular it was apparent that it was going to be an absolute bitch on higher difficulties because unlike the rest of the game, you really have no good place to hide. I didn't even think about the time limit on the Silo (it was longer on Regular), but I can tell you that the Veteran time limit on the very last level (Epilogue) was set by the devil himself.

You must have the patience of a saint to step into this thread. I don't know how you do it.

beer.

besada

Banned
Mar_ said:
Sorry, thought you were one of the ones having a meltdown over the Uncharted 'excellent but not perfect' review score. I reread the thread and noticed you weren't. My apologies.

No sweat. I was pretty off-topic anyway.

bigswords

skip said:

1) TV station workroom.
2) the ferris wheel

On Veteran difficulty I threw my controller at the wall on those points and many many times on the silo though. It's not difficult , it's fucking unfair.

traveler

Not Wario
I think I just figured out the cover story for the next issue. They say it's going to be "so epic that we can't tell you yet" but they've hidden clues about. Well, if you look at the bottom of the next issue column, you can see III written in a familiar font. Seeing this, I decided to check previous issues and, to my surprise, found out that at the bottom of the next issue columns for the past two issues, there was a II and I respectively written in the same style fonts. What does this mean?

The next EGM coverstory is Street Fighter IV and the 1up guys have apparently known about this for quite a while.

Gattsu25

Banned
skip said:

1) TV station workroom.
2) the ferris wheel

For me it was just #3. I was using a shotgun for the first and, by nature, was blasting at people while running forward. #2 I used the technique found in that one youtube vid that shows you the easy way to complete. Even then, it was an unnecessary end to an otherwise awesome level.

#3 was a pain in the ass...not the are beyond the doors but the areas just before it...I must have died 15 times >_<

All in all, I thought the game was great...and the post-credits mission was one of the most fun experiences I've had in a run and gun game in YEARS.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
traveler said:
I think I just figured out the cover story for the next issue. They say it's going to be "so epic that we can't tell you yet" but they've hidden clues about. Well, if you look at the bottom of the next issue column, you can see III written in a familiar font. Seeing this, I decided to check previous issues and, to my surprise, found out that at the bottom of the next issue columns for the past two issues, there was a II and I respectively written in the same style fonts. What does this mean?

The next EGM coverstory is Street Fighter IV and the 1up guys have apparently known about this for quite a while.

Is it in the Street Fighter text format? If not it could be alot of "4" games like GTAIV

traveler

Not Wario
grandjedi6 said:
Is it in the Street Fighter text format? If not it could be alot of "4" games like GTAIV

Yeah, it's pretty obviously the SF text. (For anyone with a Zinio account, you can see what I'm talking about in the last two issues)

Hunter D

besada said:

The truth right here.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:

It's SF style. It's exactly the same but with another I:
logo_SF2.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I JUST got my issue. You'd think a subscriber in a big city like NY would get the magazine pretty early.

Top Bottom