• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM is coming back. For serious.

skip

http://www.egmnow.com/

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/EGM-is-Back.html

“ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY” FOUNDER
EXECUTES CONTRACT TO ACQUIRE PRINT AND ONLINE
PUBLISHING RIGHTS TO EGM MAGAZINE

BEVERLY HILLS, CA, May 29, 2009 — Steve Harris, founder of “Electronic Gaming Monthly” magazine, announced today that he has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets, including trademarks and publishing rights, with plans to re-launch EGM in the second half of 2009.

“The re-launch of Electronic Gaming Monthly represents a welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts,” said Harris. “I feel honored to once again be associated with this respected magazine. The talented writers and designers who built upon EGM’s original vision have left behind a publication that is uniquely positioned to be successful.”

“Electronic Gaming Monthly is and always has been one of the most respected publications among the gaming enthusiast community,” said Jason Young, CEO, Ziff Davis Media Inc. “We are pleased that EGM is now in the hands of its original creator, Steve Harris, and wish him and the publication the best of success in the future.”

“We have exciting plans for the evolution of what will once again be a leading independent voice for the gaming community,” Harris continued. “The twenty year success of the EGM brand has always been built upon a commitment to its readers who I believe will enthusiastically embrace the changes we are planning to introduce.”

Additional details and future announcements will be made during the upcoming E3 expo and posted on the magazine’s official website at www.EGMNOW.com or via the official EGM Twitter account at www.twitter.com/EGMNOW .

ABOUT ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY:

Electronic Gaming Monthly (aka EGM) was launched in 1988 by Steve Harris to provide independent news, reviews, and other content of interest to video game enthusiasts. The magazine enjoyed rapid success that continued after Harris sold the publication to Ziff Davis in 1996. It has remained an industry leader for more than twenty years and has enjoyed a strong and loyal readership base during that time.

###

don't ask me, 'cuz I'm just as surprised (and pleased) as you are.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I honestly don't remember what EGM was like in the Steve Harris days since I was like 2. Someone tell me.

Hey, wait a minute...

...announced today that he has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets

Ziff Davis doesn't own EGM anymore, UGO does. Wouldn't he have to negotiate with UGO to get the rights?

photo-1101.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. I hope he can get some good writers / editors on board. I always enjoy a good print magazine.

jax (old)

Banned
remake it ala EDGE

add industry focus

remove the retard"ness"/cheapness of some of the articles - too idiotic/juvenile

allow ads for 3D jobs (ala EDGE)

etc etc

_leech_ said:
Hey, wait a minute...

Ziff Davis doesn't own EGM anymore, UGO does. Wouldn't he have to negotiate with UGO to get the rights?

I thought UGO owned 1Up, and EGM was left all dead and empty in Ziff's magical world.

Meh. EGM was awesome years ago, but they really went downhill. If they can back to the "old days" of EGM (say, what they were about six or so years ago) I'll care. If not, I'll stick to GameInformer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_leech_ said:
Hey, wait a minute...

I think it was only the 1UP network that was acquired by UGO, but I might be mistaken. Either way, this means that EGM and 1UP will be entirely seperate entities which will be... strange.

mozfan12

Banned
fuck YES!!!!

I hope they bring back the old school reviews with the number behind the text.

I started reading Edge but its just not good bathroom material, or just fun reading, since sometimes I feel like Im reading an essay,

SnowWolf said:
I doubt the old EGM staff will be returning, most of them seem very happy to be working with actual developers.

ARISE; the new crop of forum posting IRC dwellers to get jobs writing for magazines before joining dev studios as community managers!

JoJo13

Banned
Cool.

The US is without a really great videogame magazine that has an established history. EGM had too much history to die.

newsguy

1up/EGM never duplicated...

unless the same guy who made it has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets, including trademarks and publishing rights, with plans to re-launch EGM in the second half of 2009.

Top Bottom