• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
beelzebozo said:
that it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."

So basically, they didn't finish disc1...

Also the battle system is the weakest part of the game since it's pretty standard. "Stellar"!?!

Intake of breath when I saw the lair and bd reviews. Can't speak for lair but having played the Japanese release of blue dragon the scores surprised me a lot.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
beelzebozo said:
the universal complaint from crispin, greg ford, and garnett were glitchy motion controls in the air, and an incompetent camera on the ground.

that it has neither strong characters nor gripping storytelling, the battle system is "stellar" but unaccompanied by any sort of interesting plot to hang your hat on. bryan is a bit easier on the story than andrew fitch (who had the lead review), and ray called it "safe."
Sigh, Factor 5 needs to learn to stay away from ground based gameplay :/

Blue Dragon and Lair got lower scores then BRAIN ****ING AGE. Today marks the death of EGM, how dare they score a non-game over 2 AAA games.

Well, this means that all other sites will say its a bad game. In coming of PS3-haters to break the internet in 3.2.1 GO!

Not surprised at Lair- not at all. All you had to do is watch several gameplay videos to know that it wouldn't average well. Blue Dragon, too- the demo was pretty awful.

Wow @ Lair and Blue Dragon

And Wow @ Mario Strikers being higher then those two.. Awesome!

Picross FTW! Brain Age 2.. Dissapointing but I dont think the first one was super high either.

beelzebozo said:
lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
dynasty warriors gundam: 6.5, 5.5, 5.0

that cant be good (I really like Gundam Musou, but that is because of my Gundam fanboy nature, but still)

im try the Blue Dragon demo again to see if its any fun, I am not feeling good about the reaction to it.

Wollan

grandjedi6 said:

Imho that was the best aspect of the TGS demo. Really fun actually (the only problem at that time was motion controls for moving on ground but they switched that to stick controls).

NinSoX

Banned
Blue Dragon demo was god awful. A bit too traditional I think. Lair scored just as most expected other than some.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5

what the heck happened????

grandjedi6 said:

You'd think so, right? I think that's what separates the elite from the wannabes, this ability to know and respect their strengths and weaknesses.

But then on the flipside, this is EGM. I'm interested in seeing what a few other sites and magazines have to say.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Bebpo said:
P3 is not a traditional rpg by any means.

the complaints about blue dragon seem pretty legitimate, but if you're enjoying it, by all means. it doesn't seem connected to a distaste for traditional rpgs, though. they praise the effort to get back to that, but ray makes a point to say that though they play on that old school nostalgia it doesn't get into "the deeper stuff" (?). also says the special animations during battle are totally meh, and get in the way of gameplay.

Ezza

If those reviews for Lair and BD continue I might have just saved $120...gotta look on the bright side of things.

Linkzg said:
im try the Blue Dragon demo again to see if its any fun, I am not feeling good about the reaction to it.
Just my opinion, but the demo wasn't fun. The full game was.

[Edit - I'm a huge traditional JRPG fan... the demo just didn't give me enough.]

Lobster said:
Outrageous :( Maybe you truly need to be not American to like soccer.

Why does everyone consider everything under 9 as a bad score -_-
7.5 is good, especially coming from EGM. And no reviewer gave it a lower score, which is good.
I know that it won't stop me from getting this game!

Lobster

Banned
neojubei said:
mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5

what the heck happened????

Why is Mario Strikers up there...Mario Strikers seems to be getting 7s all around review sites..

Xeke

Banned
Lobster said:
Outrageous :( Maybe you truly need to be not American to like soccer.

I'm American and I love soccer. Ever since AYSO as a kid.

I plan on getting Strikers because it just looks fun and it's soccer.

rs7k

Not surprised with Lair. It's probably very pretty, but it looks like it plays exactly like Rogue Squadron. Which isn't bad, but it's been done before.

Even less surprised with Blue Dragon from the demo I've played. I don't think I've deleted a demo faster :lol

I fully expected both Lair and Blue Dragon to do that badly. The Blue Dragon demo was dreadful and I never expected the gameplay in Lair to transcend the level of the graphics. Even still, both of the games will sell well. Blue Dragon and Lair will probably both sell well over a million.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
All that is left in the August showdown to be reviewed is Metroid Prime 3 and Bioshock right?

SantaC said:
heh I didn't buy a single factor 5 game for gamecube
Well they only made two games. The best thing about the second game was that it contained a co-op version of the first game

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
That's it, I'm canceling my preorder for the PlayStation 3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DQeJxYlDD.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Meh, gimme the rumors, EGM's review scale will always suck just like Famitsu.

USD

My expectations were fairly low for Blue Dragon, for Lair even lower. They'll both probably get higher reviews elsewhere, but not by much.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Bebpo said:
Oh boy, I guess once again no one in the US like the traditional jrpg, even if it's REALLY GOOD[/b]. @_@

I love a good, traditional JRPG. After playing the Blue Dragon demo, I wouldn't use good, traditional JRPG to describe it.

NewLib

Banned
Absinthe said:
I fully expected both Lair and Blue Dragon to do that badly. The Blue Dragon demo was dreadful and I never expected the gameplay in Lair to transcend the level of the graphics. Even still, both of the games will sell well. Blue Dragon and Lair will probably both sell well over a million.

In America? You are out of your mind. Actually you are out of your mind worldwide for Lair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom