• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM rumor: Next Need for Speed logo? (Criterion, Underground Reboot)

nfs_underground_rumor.jpg

The above logo, sent to us by an anonymous source, was indicated to be part of the title’s box art for the Xbox 360 version of Criterion’s supposed Need for Speed: Underground, corroborating other talk we’ve heard about a Criterion-developed Underground.

According to the source, the title will be set in Bayview—though a rebooted, original Bayview, not Underground 2′s.

While it’s possible that this logo is nothing more than an early mockup—a likely scenario, given the timing, the repeated elements, and the inclusion of real-world landmarks like London’s Big Ben and Rome’s Colosseum—similarities between the source’s report and earlier information received by EGM leads us to believe that the image is most likely linked to a real project currently in development.

The rumor is further supported by the LinkedIn profiles of several Criterion employees, which make mention of an “unannounced racing title” and “unannounced title” of EA’s expected to release sometime this year.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-is-this-the-logo-for-the-next-need-for-speed-game/

Salsa

that shit's overdone. I get the idea but they went too far, barely readable, would look terrible at a smaller size

Takao

Banned
So is Criterion's shtick now to just take the names of old NFS games? Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted, Underground ... should I be expecting a ProStreet, and Carbon soon?

DiscoJer

I hope it's actually like Underground 2, not the most recent Most Wanted. That felt more like a Burnout to me.

Hip Hop

Only way I'll ever come back to Need for Speed.

My last game was Underground 2 and the customization after that game fell off, it's like it took steps back.

Nothing has come close to that game imo.

I want my neon lights back damn it!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Loved Underground 1 so this is good news. Is it bad that I hope this is for ps4/720? I see thats its rumored for 360 but maybe cross gen or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't even imagine Underground today. It seems like such a product of popular car culture at the times. I don't think they'll do the name justice unless I can put speakers in my trunk that I can only look at in a menu. That culture just doesn't exist anymore. What the hell do teenagers with no taste do their cars nowadays?

Though they're probably just gonna make the same open-world racing game they've been making for the past few iterations.. again.

Salsa

I can't even imagine Underground today. It seems like such a product of popular car culture at the times.

same here, it's weird

but im certainly looking forward to it

i'd be all about them just straight up setting it in that era and bringing that whole thing back, but the logo doesnt strike me that way

Is it just me or anyone else, but I really want to see Criterion make a different, unique NFS game besides just bringing back different interpretations of past titles. Hot Pursuit was great, but I really didn't click with Most Wanted at all in the slightest.

Come on Criterion, you're better than this.

(also, isn't Ghost Games meant to be doing this year's game whilst Criterion only looks on?)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Presumably it's both Criterion and Ghost.

Ghost is still kind of small to make a game by themselves, but they are supposed to be a new Need For Speed team.
Interesting. Thanks for the info, Nirolak.
Hoping this turns out to be a great game.

pixlexic

Banned
what sthe difference between the newest one and unground? they have all seem exactly the same for the longest time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
same here, it's weird

but im certainly looking forward to it

i'd be all about them just straight up setting it in that era and bringing that whole thing back, but the logo doesnt strike me that way
They're just using popular names in the past to pepper up a franchise that is showing increased stagnation and less and less experimentation like what NFS was known for.

At this rate, they're going to release Porsche Unleashed featuring the greatest number of manufacturers in an NFS game to date in the same game they've been pushing out for years now.

Salsa

They're just using popular names in the past to pepper up a franchise that is showing increased stagnation and less and less experimentation like what NFS was known for.

At this rate, they're going to release Porsche Unleashed featuring the greatest number of manufacturers in an NFS game to date in the same game they've been pushing out for years now.

I dont know, I think assuming that purely from Most Wanted is a bit unfair. Hot Pursuit was very much a Hot Pursuit game. I'll wait and see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is it just me or anyone else, but I really want to see Criterion make a different, unique NFS game besides just bringing back different interpretations of past titles. Hot Pursuit was great, but I really didn't click with Most Wanted at all in the slightest.

Come on Criterion, you're better than this.

(also, isn't Ghost Games meant to be doing this year's game whilst Criterion only looks on?)
They only had 65 people in late December 2012: http://ghostgames.com/news/

I don't think they can do it solo.

Swarley

Spent so much time with Underground and Underground 2 (U2 is still my favorite arcade racer to this day). However, hopefully this actually feels like a NFS: Underground and not another Burnout game.

Dibbz

Criterion please stop ruining all the good NFS games. Underground is probably the only NFS that would benefit from all the social stuff Criterion do but still I'd rather not get another reskined Burnout Paradise.

Top Bottom