• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Life President: "Nintendo should have their IP on every platform"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Square Enix, eager to top themselves from this morning, shared perhaps not the most popular viewpoint at the Bristol Games Hub today.

PocketGamer said:
That was the take of industry veteran Ian Livingstone as he opened proceedings at Bristol Games Hub, a non-profit organisation designed to offer space for developers and academics in the South West of England.

Livingstone – life president of Eidos, and best known for his work on the Fighting Fantasy interactive book series – used his speech at the event both to offer guidance for developers just starting out, and to give advice to one of the industry's biggest players.

IP is king

"Nintendo should have their IP on every platform," said Livingstone, arguing that strengthening IP should take precedence over the health of the publisher's platforms.

"Otherwise a whole generation of young people will miss out on their games."
Source: http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Nintendo+news/news.asp?c=51359

The rest of his speech revolved around why the industry needs to foster future game development talent at younger ages during their education.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I agree. The WiiU was the first Nintendo system I didn't and probably won't buy.

It's time.

m0t0k1

Maybe they will strengthen their IP's but they will weaken their Hardware. Why buy a Nintendo console when i can get the game on a "technical"better console? I do think it is a wrong idea because Nintendo still earns money on their consoles.

jmls1121

Banned
Respectfully disagree. Nintendo games are so special not only because they are developed with Nintendo hardware in mind, but because their position as a hardware manufacturer allows them to delay games if necessary to attain dat Nintendo polish.

No other publisher in the industry could afford to spend 3 years on a handheld game like Luigi's mansion.

arguing that strengthening IP should take precedence over the health of the publisher's platforms.

This makes no fucking sense. Their IPs are incredibly strong, it's the platforms that need the support of said strong IPs. If the young gamers are so concerned about missing out, they'll buy a Wii U/3DS. Just like millions bought a PS3 for LittleBigPlanet/Uncharted, and for Kinect/Dance Central/Halo etc.

IPs make the platform. If the next Mario appeared on the XBone & PS4, the already faltering Wii U would capsize.

I'm sure Nintendo could do that and be wildly successful at it, but they are also wildly successful doing what they are doing. They need to change things up and have a major shake up, but putting Mario on PS4 and Pokemon on iOS is not that answer.

trmas

Banned
I think pretty much every gamer out there would like to see Nintendo as a third party. Imagine Nintendo on good hardware

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've been thinking this more and more ever since they announced the Wii U. I mean, if they were to get out of the home console hardware market, they'd potentially make billions if they went the iOS, Android, PC, PS/Xbox route. Then they could focus on what they do best, which is software (since they've apparently given up on the hardware arms race forever).

Heyt

Banned
I see things differently.

There should be one platform with all IPs. Not multiple platforms with some IPs, regardless of who owns the IP or makes the game.

Socreges

Banned
So he's trolling the wiiu then? Lol
- Generations last much longer than one console cycle (assuming the WiiU isn't a success, and ignoring the people that will have owned a WiiU)
- The 3DS has been a success and also has Nintendo IP

His statements really don't make much sense to me. Is there more context?

Mr Swine

Banned
But.. But then that would mean that developers like Eidos has to pit their games against Nintendo games. And we know that 3:rd party games don't sell we'll against Nintendo games!

JDSN

Banned
Oh Eidos, you are supposed to wait until you piece of shit years old port flops and THEN annonuce pulling support, not before.

Valnen

I see things differently.

There should be one platform with all IPs. Not multiple platforms with some IPs, regardless of who owns the IP or makes the game.

So basically the return of the SNES era.

Would be nice but will never happen with weak hardware.

Top Bottom